New Oblivion Trailer Released!

Yeah, the graphics look ok, but they didn't show anything worthwhile. I mean, I am interested in seeing characters talk, the quest system 'in action', more control over combat and a LOT more interesting world. The movie was more of a "look at the graphics we can do!" thingie than anything else.

Swedes, go to: Spel2, for the latest game reviews in swedish!

Yeah, the graphics look ok, but they didn't show anything worthwhile. I mean, I am interested in seeing characters talk, the quest system 'in action', more control over combat and a LOT more interesting world. The movie was more of a "look at the graphics we can do!" thingie than anything else.

I assume we will get some of that after E3, having all the press coverage there, granted that is just conjecture at this point :) but I hope so.

Pretty. The city could have done with more people, maybe. Looked a bit empty. Still, that's a hard trade-off: a bustling street filled with generic characters or one with only a handful of more interesting people.

"An electric puddle is not what I need right now." (Nina Kalenkov)

Watched this earlier today. Looks fancy :)

This is just the teaser though... I read that they'll show a demo in the EXPO part of E3.

I suspect that the teaser -may- be either what they'll show us non E3 attendants or they have a longer trailer in store.

At first I was really excited about the grafics, and was looking forward to playing around with a Morrowind with better grafics for a while. But what interests me now is to see the new dialogue system and how the npc's are and such. Judging by the looks of the king, they've got face morphs and such going on at least.

Btw, what they'll show in the E3 demo includes stuff like the fast-travel map and other new things (according to the news on elderscrolls.com). Hopefully we'll get to see clips from that in the days to come.

Good graphics. (espicially like the castle scenes). Horrible voice over that was muffled. Obviously crappyand boring combat. Has a little more soul than MW; and definitely not as bland. Please, not another Beteshda crap fest.

Give me Gothic 3. At least it has a chance to be good. :)

DWARVES IN PROJECT ETERNITY = VOLOURN HAS PLEDGED $250.

Give me Gothic 3. At least it has a chance to be good. :thumbsup:

Yes it does, when hell freezes over to be specific.

DISCLAIMER: Do not take what I write seriously unless it is clearly and in no uncertain terms, declared by me to be meant in a serious and non-humoristic manner. If there is no clear indication, asume the post is written in jest. This notification is meant very seriously and its purpouse is to avoid misunderstandings and the consequences thereof. Furthermore; I can not be held accountable for anything I write on these forums since the idea of taking serious responsability for my unserious actions, is an oxymoron in itself.

Important: as the following sentence contains many naughty words I warn you not to read it under any circumstances; botty, knickers, wee, erogenous zone, psychiatrist, clitoris, stockings, bosom, poetry reading, dentist, fellatio and the department of agriculture.

"I suppose outright stupidity and complete lack of taste could also be considered points of view. "

Good graphics. (espicially like the castle scenes). Horrible voice over that was muffled. Obviously crappyand boring combat. Has a little more soul than MW; and definitely not as bland. Please, not another Beteshda crap fest.

Give me Gothic 3. At least it has a chance to be good. :devil:

Yeah, the combat animations are still very stiff.

The voice over is probably horrible because the whole thing looks like it's shot with a camera. If not, then they should probably hire a new soundtech.

Btw, they've opened up a store for Oblivion merchendise :thumbsup:

I may buy the game, but I don't really need an oblivion pen.

The emperor is voiced by Patrick Stewart AKA Captain Pickard from star trek. And it is still a while away from going gold yet soooo....We shall see.

Really? I couldn't tell because the sound is so distorted (all sound, not just the voice over). It must be recorded with a camera, unless that site uploaded a new version of the clip after I downloaded it.

The emperor is voiced by Patrick Stewart AKA Captain Pickard from star trek. And it is still a while away from going gold yet soooo....We shall see.

Really? I couldn't tell because the sound is so distorted (all sound, not just the voice over). It must be recorded with a camera, unless that site uploaded a new version of the clip after I downloaded it.

That clip was the high resolution one, from what I hear the sound is better on the low resolution one, find it here

<EDIT> I've just listened and although the graphics are not as good, the sound is far superior, so listen to it there :thumbsup:

A high-quality version (not shot with a camera by a reporter) can be found at the elderscrolls website.

The scene with the text, flying sword, the emperor, and the heir kneeling in the end are pre-rendered. The rest is in-game. (As described by a Bethesda Dev)

Official Version of the Trailer

Just thought I'd keep the thread updated.

EDIT: I repeat, not shot by camera, so it's got good visual and sound. I think the DivX version is almost full-screen capture, sorta like those Half-life 2 videos that popped up after E3 last year.

Its weird that the emperors eyes arent animated but have that "dead stare" of ancient games.

Anyway, I dont see anything exciting graphicswise. It would be nice if they made close combat 3rd person instead of that ridiculous way.

DISCLAIMER: Do not take what I write seriously unless it is clearly and in no uncertain terms, declared by me to be meant in a serious and non-humoristic manner. If there is no clear indication, asume the post is written in jest. This notification is meant very seriously and its purpouse is to avoid misunderstandings and the consequences thereof. Furthermore; I can not be held accountable for anything I write on these forums since the idea of taking serious responsability for my unserious actions, is an oxymoron in itself.

Important: as the following sentence contains many naughty words I warn you not to read it under any circumstances; botty, knickers, wee, erogenous zone, psychiatrist, clitoris, stockings, bosom, poetry reading, dentist, fellatio and the department of agriculture.

"I suppose outright stupidity and complete lack of taste could also be considered points of view. "

Its weird that the emperors eyes arent animated but have that "dead stare" of  ancient games.

Anyway, I dont see anything exciting graphicswise. It would be nice if they made close combat 3rd person instead of that ridiculous way.

Either way, that emperor isn't in-game.

Combat can be played 3rd person, as it could in Morrowind, and you see it in the trailer.

And I agree... it looked fabolous when the first screenshots were out, but now the graphics are good but not especially groundbreaking. The graphics certainly aren't ugly or bad though :)

After I saw the trailer I thought "Heck, my current computer should be able to run that". Sorta looks like EQ2 but with much better design and more grass, trees and stuff.

I think many developers should work more on animation. It doesn't matter how many shaders or texture layers you stick on a character, if it moves like a high-school stop-motion project it won't look good.

That wasn't a jab at Oblivion, but at games in general... including Morrowind.

I wonder when we will begin to see realistic vegitation and outdoor enviroments in games? Instead of flat textured surfaces and 2D foliage.

There should be possible to create somekind of grass and leave thing with realtime physics. Like the har folicle thing in Maya and there's also some kind of grass tool developed by ILM

I wonder when we will begin to see realistic vegitation and outdoor enviroments in games? Instead of flat textured surfaces and 2D foliage.

There should be possible to create somekind of grass and leave thing with realtime physics. Like the har folicle thing in Maya and there's also some kind of grass tool developed by ILM

You don't ask much, do you ?

Eyecandy doesn't make a good crpg.

"If at first you don't succeed... So much for skydiving." - Henry Youngman.

Eyecandy doesn't make a good crpg.

Of course not, I was thinking about the next step in realism for 3D enviroments. Man-made objects and buildings are looking very good these days but organics is a whole different ballpark and not much has happened in that area for ages. Its just variations of that old trick to take 2 2D bush textures and put them in an X so it can be seen from more than two sides

Of course not, I was thinking about the next step in realism for 3D enviroments. Man-made objects and buildings are looking very good these days but organics is a whole different ballpark and not much has happened in that area for ages. Its just variations of that old trick to take 2 2D bush textures and put them in an X so it can be seen from more than two sides

But what you want would require top notch Engine, which would then require a high-end PC, which lowers te potential customer base as most people don't possess high-end PC's.

It would also be very expensive to develop. [development costs of CRPG are higher than FPS's]

But we'll get 'em in the end, it'll just take a while. [Just look at the difference between Daggerfall and Oblivion, Daggerfall came out 10 years ago]

"If at first you don't succeed... So much for skydiving." - Henry Youngman.

I think the trailer wasn't that impressive. The graphics looks a bit too clean, too artificial and and as always, devs seem to exaggerate the usage of that bloom effect. Overall, I'm not impressed.

I think the best from what I've seen at this years E3 so far, both graphically and artistically, is FEAR, and now I'm downloading the Gothic 3 Shaky-Cam Video, let's see how that looks like. >_<

I just watched the Gothic 3 hand-cam german trailer and compared to Oblivion I must say Gothic 3's grass looked better. :thumbsup:

Swedes, go to: Spel2, for the latest game reviews in swedish!

If you mean mesh foliage, you'll probably have to wait a while. But physics, at least simple physics, on flat, textured polygons probably ain't that far ahead. NWN even has it :thumbsup:

EDIT: Btw, Erik