Revolution Images

they said it would be small, the design is pretty odd - in its stand it looks like a drowning ps2.

Will have more pointless observations once specs and news of games are released :D

Fingers crossed that ninty have a good line up of games ready to go at launch!

All consoles must die. Or be made 100% PC compatible.

DISCLAIMER: Do not take what I write seriously unless it is clearly and in no uncertain terms, declared by me to be meant in a serious and non-humoristic manner. If there is no clear indication, asume the post is written in jest. This notification is meant very seriously and its purpouse is to avoid misunderstandings and the consequences thereof. Furthermore; I can not be held accountable for anything I write on these forums since the idea of taking serious responsability for my unserious actions, is an oxymoron in itself.

Important: as the following sentence contains many naughty words I warn you not to read it under any circumstances; botty, knickers, wee, erogenous zone, psychiatrist, clitoris, stockings, bosom, poetry reading, dentist, fellatio and the department of agriculture.

"I suppose outright stupidity and complete lack of taste could also be considered points of view. "

Specs haven't been released but it has been said it will be two or three times more powerful than the Gamecube. Look at this article:Revolution Details

If this is true, it will be a lot less powerful than the Xbox 360 and PS3 (if the figures that Microsoft and Sony have quoted can be believed). However, Nintendo don't believe that power alone is a good thing.

If this is true, it will be a lot less powerful than the Xbox 360 and PS3 (if the figures that Microsoft and Sony have quoted can be believed). However, Nintendo don't believe that power alone is a good thing.

No, power without disipline leads to the Dark Side ...

OBSCVRVM PER OBSCVRIVS ET IGNOTVM PER IGNOTIVS

ingsoc.gif

OPVS ARTIFICEM PROBAT

The Revolution will be backwards compatible.. all the way back to the 8-bit Nintendo! That is awesome =]

More and more details are slipping out about the machine. It will contain 512 MB internal Flashmemory, two USB 2.0 ports and built-in Wi-Fi access. Also, a new Zelda is being worked on specifically for the new machine. They also showed more movies from the Gamecube Zelda that's supposed to be released this winter.. It sure looks awesome.

http://www.zelda.com/universe/game/legendzelda/trailer.jsp

Check out the boomerang!

Swedes, go to: Spel2, for the latest game reviews in swedish!

At least its the prettiest of the 3 systems.

The area between the balls and the butt is a hotbed of terrorist activity.

Devastatorsig.jpg

nintendo always have to be different! that may be to their detriment. I just hope that the revolution is easy to program for. I remember back in teh day when devs used to complain about ninty being stingy on advice on how to code for n64. henc ethe difference between in house games and other ones.

So apparently the whole Backwards Compatibility thing is even better. You can download NES, SNES, and N64 games onto the system. I'd buy it just for the SNES library. Especially if the rumors about them releasing those games for free, or at least close to free, are true.

Devastatorsig.jpg

They're also supposed to be opening up production for literally EVERYONE.

Kinda like VALVe did with Halflife in the mod scene.

Should be super easy to code for.

BTW, how much more powerful are the PS3, and the Xbox 360 than their predecessors?

Gamecube was already a more powerful platform than the PS2, slightly weaker than the Xbox.

BTW, how much more powerful are the PS3, and the Xbox 360 than their predecessors? 

Gamecube was already a more powerful platform than the PS2, slightly weaker than the Xbox.

Well, in terms of processing power, I think the PS3 is something like 20x more powerful than the PS2, and the Xbox 360 is about 5 times more powerful than the Xbox.

Devastatorsig.jpg

Well, in terms of processing power, I think the PS3 is something like 20x more powerful than the PS2, and the Xbox 360 is about 5 times more powerful than the Xbox.

GEEZ!

Can that much even be used practically? I mean, the games were getting pretty close to looking real already...

The Nintendo Revolution clearly wins the design-award among the next-gen-consoles, leaving the PS3 and the Xbox360 way behind.

Hopefully they will reveal more (spec-wise, game trailers) until E3 ends.

"Some men see things as they are and say why?"
"I dream things that never were and say why not?"
- George Bernard Shaw

"Hope in reality is the worst of all evils because it prolongs the torments of man."
- Friedrich Nietzsche

"The amount of energy necessary to refute bull**** is an order of magnitude bigger than to produce it."

- Some guy 

The Nintendo Revolution clearly wins the design-award among the next-gen-consoles, leaving the PS3 and the Xbox360 way behind.

Hopefully they will reveal more (spec-wise, game trailers) until E3 ends.

Hopefully the PS3 design will change by launch. Preferrably with a controller design more like the current Dual Shock 2 controllers.

Devastatorsig.jpg

Hopefully the PS3 design will change by launch. Preferrably with a controller design more like the current Dual Shock 2 controllers.

I'll be yet another among the gamers who feel the need to say, "Hey Sony, look, it isn't 1985 anymore! The d-pad is no longer the fundamental console game control mechanism. Don't locate it as if it were. I'm sick of a d-pad which sits unused in the most ideally accessible place on the controller while my thumb strains to reach an analog stick which serves as the exclusive directional control mechanism for 90% of titles these days, but which is nevertheless placed uncomfortably almost out of reach."

So apparently the whole Backwards Compatibility thing is even better. You can download NES, SNES, and N64 games onto the system. I'd buy it just for the SNES library. Especially if the rumors about them releasing those games for free, or at least close to free, are true.

It seems doubtful that they would do this. 95% of NES and SNES games, Nintendo simply CANNOT unilaterally release for free, because they're other people's IP. For the 5% of games for which Nintendo and Nintendo alone owns the rights, well, they've been selling those or bundling those for a while now, so the idea that they would make some of them part of a 'deal' of some sort makes perfectly good sense. But releasing their entire in-house games library for free sounds very unlikely, while releasing the entire NES and SNES libraries as a whole would be legally impossible. Completely incoherent with their previous use of their old titles, and doesn't appear to make much business sense. Possibly for low prices, but who knows what their plans are there.

It seems doubtful that they would do this. 95% of NES and SNES games, Nintendo simply CANNOT unilaterally release for free, because they're other people's IP. For the 5% of games for which Nintendo and Nintendo alone owns the rights, well, they've been selling those or bundling those for a while now, so the idea that they would make some of them part of a 'deal' of some sort makes perfectly good sense. But releasing their entire in-house games library for free sounds very unlikely, while releasing the entire NES and SNES libraries as a whole would be legally impossible. Completely incoherent with their previous use of their old titles, and doesn't appear to make much business sense. Possibly for low prices, but who knows what their plans are there.

What a lot of people have been thinking is it will be similar to iTunes or such. Pay like a dollar per game. Since most of these games aren't being sold anymore, its more than they'd get otherwise.

Devastatorsig.jpg

The below is a small bit of info from a Nintendo pre-E3 press conference

Revolution

After an impressive highlight reel showcasing upcoming GBA software, Mr. Iwata returned to the stage and gave the crowd what it was hoping for -- a first-look at a prototype of Nintendo's next console, code-name Revolution. Mr. Iwata revealed that Revolution will be arriving in 2006 and announced that the system will be backward compatible with Nintendo GameCube games. In addition, Revolution will have downloadable access to 20 years of fan-favorite titles originally released for Nintendo 64, the Super Nintendo Entertainment System, and even the Nintendo Entertainment System (NES).

Mr. Iwata also announced that Revolution will feature wireless controllers and compatibility with the newly announced wireless gaming service Nintendo Wi-Fi Connection. Many attendees cheered when Mr. Iwata revealed that key franchises will be compatible with Nintendo Wi-Fi Connection at launch, including Super Smash Bros.

Other details about Revolution include:

Sophisticated Design. The new console is approximately the size of three standard DVD cases stacked together, and it was displayed in a variety of prototype colors at E3. The console will come with a sleek silver stand allowing it to be displayed vertically or horizontally.

Backward Compatibility. Revolution will play all of your favorite Nintendo GameCube games. An innovative self-loading media bay will play both 12-centimeter optical discs used for the new system as well as Nintendo GameCube discs. You can also equip a small, self-contained attachment to play movies and other DVD content.

Huge Historic Library. Revolution will have downloadable access to 20 years of fan-favorite titles originally released for Nintendo 64, the Super Nintendo Entertainment System (SNES) and even the Nintendo Entertainment System (NES).

Big Names. Nintendo announced that new franchise properties will be added to current super-star franchises including Mario, Zelda, Super Smash Bros., Donkey Kong and Metroid.

Wi-Fi Freedom. A worldwide network of Nintendo players can gather to compete in a comfortable, inviting environment using Nintendo's newly announced wireless gaming service, Nintendo Wi-Fi Connection.