Turn off one blade on a double-bladed lightsaber?

The reason it's a question as well is in Darth Sion's pic, he appears to be holding a double bladed lightsaber, yet only has one blade ignited. Anyhow, the suggestion, in case it isn't clear:

For roleplay and cosmetic purposes, have the ability to turn off one blade of a double-bladed lightsaber and let it be used like a normal or short lightsaber.

That is not possible as the saber uses one set of crystals.

Darth Maul was able to do so because his double bladed sabre was just 2 regular sabre joined together. It (supposedly) takes alot of skill to make the double sabres that are in KotOR and over time the knowledge on how to do so was lost!

Atleast thats what i hear.

Another great idea by the people who brought you beer milkshakes!

"I don't see a problem...then again, SW isn't my life, so what do I know...." - some who makes 27.8 post per day on a SW forum!

Hmm... Well, shouldn't it still be possible though? Because, when you think about it, if the double bladed sabers use on set of crystals, there's just something that isn't blocking the crystal flow on the other side that IS there in regular sabers. So, in theory, couldn't a button or something just shift in a block?

I'm not one of those people that really builds up knowledge on how sabers are built, so I really don't know for sure, this is just kind of me theorizing.

Same here it was just something i read!

But there aren't many substanses that a lightsabre cant cut throught, so what would be used to block it?

"I don't see a problem...then again, SW isn't my life, so what do I know...." - some who makes 27.8 post per day on a SW forum!

Actually, Maul's blade got cut in half by Obi-Wan. It was never intended as a single blade.

Single, Dual, Short or Long (not in the game) sabres aren't any more or less difficult to make.

What is difficult is making it adjustable. Corran Horn managed it in 'I, Jedi'. The only other to make one from the Movie era onward had the help of Exar Kun.

Cortosis seems to be popular and effective, as all of the blades in the game are edged with it. But the blade is only in existence on the outside of the central shaft (you can see a whitish material covering the end when the blade isn't out). I was thinking that you could push a button and something metallic could interrupt the crystals from generating energy on that side of the saber. It would be very useful, as well, allowing new techniques. Qui-Gon, for example would have been able to kill Maul if he had a saber like that. Maul knocked Qui-Gon's arms up over his head with the central grip (which was the killing move). If Qui-GOn activated a second blade at that moment, it would've gone right through Maul's skull.

Actually, Maul's blade got cut in half by Obi-Wan. It was never intended as a single blade.

Single, Dual, Short or Long (not in the game) sabres aren't any more or less difficult to make.

What is difficult is making it adjustable. Corran Horn managed it in 'I, Jedi'. The only other to make one from the Movie era onward had the help of Exar Kun.

No it was not intended as a single blade but it was just 2 singles joint together. That is why it continued to work when it got cut in half! A double sabre of the KotOR era would have stopped working alltogether if it were cut in half.

I like them too, i was just repeating what i had heard about them.

No it was not intended as a single blade but it was just 2 singles joint together. That is why it continued to work when it got cut in half! A double sabre of the KotOR era would have stopped working alltogether if it were cut in half.

Even if 4000 years before, i didn't see any drastic changes in technology. I am a nerd, y'know. I would know. ;)

The two bladed sabers are, in general 2 sabers joined by their back, powered by a single energy pack. If you cut it right, you could ruin it (With sunder feat, of course). If you can't cut it right, one blade can still function (It is not cut in half in the movie, 3/4s of it still remains) . Even in KotOR. Sabers in KotOR are not in any ways different from other eras (maybe some crystals).

Double bladed sabers are written in Star Wars RPG game from WotC. It was in 3E, but somewhat changed.

Even if 4000 years before, i didn't see any drastic changes in technology. I am a nerd, y'know. I would know. :p

The two bladed sabers are, in general 2 sabers joined by their back, powered by a single energy pack. If you cut it right, you could ruin it (With sunder feat, of course). If you can't cut it right, one blade can still function (It is not cut in half in the movie, 3/4s of it still remains) . Even in KotOR. Sabers in KotOR are not in any ways different from other eras (maybe some crystals).

Double bladed sabers are written in Star Wars RPG game from WotC. It was in 3E, but somewhat changed.

Thats interesting but do you have any facts to back that up?

think in terms of coding, that would be hard to impliment. it's not just "turn one side offf" it would involve variables being attatched to the player saying which mode he's using, mixed with variables being attatched saying what kind of crystals (and now the other modification options) the saber is carrying, and that's far too much that could glitch IMO.

I think it's a cool idea but it's a playtesting and design nightmare.

think in terms of coding, that would be hard to impliment. it's not just "turn one side offf" it would involve variables being attatched to the player saying which mode he's using, mixed with variables being attatched saying what kind of crystals (and now the other modification options) the saber is carrying, and that's far too much that could glitch IMO.

I think it's a cool idea but it's a playtesting and design nightmare.

my fingers are still crossed ;)

<----is an optimist :lol:

There's a big difference between swapping out an existing weapon with pre-existing variables attatched, and creating a new weapon every time you feel like turning off a blade. A switch weapon button would be considerably easier, because you already have the weapon. It's in your inventory, it's got the variables already attatched to it.

To make a light saber dual bladed and make it so you could turn off 1 blade, either they'd need to have a hidden weapon attatched to your pc and swap between the 2 (and that could get REALLY buggy, like if you have more than 1 2 bladed lightsaber, and you turn them both to 1 handed, the variables would stack up quickly and lag your machine in the way described below, plus the act of making the weapon visible and the old weapon invisible, not to mention glitches that would happen if there was too much in your inventory. Would you lose the lightsaber? If you've got too many processes going on at once would you get a clone in your inventory? can you drop it or equip it, or is it just there taking up space? this list could continue. ) or you would create the new weapon every time you "turn off the one side" and just have to carry the variables over to the new weapon every time, but that as well is open to glitching, on a slightly lower scale, and especially during combat the act of applying the variable to the pc, then creating the weapon, then applying the variable back to the weapon, would create a hell of a slowdown.

Either way from a programming standpoint it would be hard. I'm sure they could figure out a way to do it, but it's going to be really complex for a small feature not a lot of people would use. after all, they give out lightsabers like candy in KOTOR 1.

Why not just make it so you can swap out gems on the fly, using a repair skill? It would be easier to program and accomplish the same effect.

Actually, double bladed lightsabers should have the function to disable one end. Both blades are powered by one single crystal. But the only person with the final say is Lucas himself, or the people entrusted to decide what and who are considered cannon in Star Wars.

Supposedly, most of the Star Wars games are considered official canon, part of a much larger story. In Jedi Academy, your double bladed lightsaber COULD in fact retract to a single blade. And since Lucasarts approved, that means that all double bladeds can do it.

There's a big difference between swapping out an existing weapon with pre-existing variables attatched, and creating a new weapon every time you feel like turning off a blade. A switch weapon button would be considerably easier, because you already have the weapon. It's in your inventory, it's got the variables already attatched to it.

To make a light saber dual bladed and make it so you could turn off 1 blade, either they'd need to have a hidden weapon attatched to your pc and swap between the 2 (and that could get REALLY buggy, like if you have more than 1 2 bladed lightsaber, and you turn them both to 1 handed, the variables would stack up quickly and lag your machine in the way described below, plus the act of making the weapon visible and the old weapon invisible, not to mention glitches that would happen if there was too much in your inventory. Would you lose the lightsaber? If you've got too many processes going on at once would you get a clone in your inventory? can you drop it or equip it, or is it just there taking up space? this list could continue. ) or you would create the new weapon every time you "turn off the one side" and just have to carry the variables over to the new weapon every time, but that as well is open to glitching, on a slightly lower scale, and especially during combat the act of applying the variable to the pc, then creating the weapon, then applying the variable back to the weapon, would create a hell of a slowdown.

Either way from a programming standpoint it would be hard. I'm sure they could figure out a way to do it, but it's going to be really complex for a small feature not a lot of people would use. after all, they give out lightsabers like candy in KOTOR 1.

Why not just make it so you can swap out gems on the fly, using a repair skill? It would be easier to program and accomplish the same effect.

How do you know this? Do you have any programming experiance or training?

How do you know this? Do you have any programming experiance or training?

yes.

Ok, i believe you! <_<

well I'm not going to be like "well I can do blank blank and blank" because honestly what I can do doesn't really matter. but I can tell you it'll be damn hard to pull off, and there are better ways to go about it.

I'd prefer to see the ability to work on your gear without needing to go anywhere, via a skill and a kit or something similar.