"Fallout 3 at E3" @ IGN

*spurts*

"Of course the people don't want war. But after all, it's the leaders of the country who determine the policy, and it's always a simple matter to drag the people along whether it's a democracy, a fascist dictatorship, or a parliament, or a communist dictatorship. Voice or no voice, the people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders. That is easy. All you have to do is tell them they are being attacked, and denounce the pacifists for lack of patriotism, and exposing the country to greater danger."

- Herman Goering at the Nuremberg trials

"I have also been slowly coming to the realisation that knowledge and happiness are not necessarily coincident, and quite often mutually exclusive" - meta

What I really would like was if they put the Bethesda devs up against the wall and asked.

- Will Fallout3 be Morrowind with guns? -

..whereupon they would most likely reply :

"Why? Whats wrong with Morrowind?"

DISCLAIMER: Do not take what I write seriously unless it is clearly and in no uncertain terms, declared by me to be meant in a serious and non-humoristic manner. If there is no clear indication, asume the post is written in jest. This notification is meant very seriously and its purpouse is to avoid misunderstandings and the consequences thereof. Furthermore; I can not be held accountable for anything I write on these forums since the idea of taking serious responsability for my unserious actions, is an oxymoron in itself.

Important: as the following sentence contains many naughty words I warn you not to read it under any circumstances; botty, knickers, wee, erogenous zone, psychiatrist, clitoris, stockings, bosom, poetry reading, dentist, fellatio and the department of agriculture.

"I suppose outright stupidity and complete lack of taste could also be considered points of view. "

What I really would like was if they put the Bethesda devs up against the wall and asked.

- Will Fallout3 be Morrowind with guns? -

..whereupon they would most likely reply :

"Why? Whats wrong with Morrowind?"

They'd likely reply this, though I wouldn't take everything they say for granted.

Fallout 3 will be very, very different from Oblivion (or any other TES game). It won't be "Morrowind with guns". It won't even be "Oblivion with guns".

"...because it all takes place in a desert! Neat, huh?" :D

But, seriously, for Bethesda to make something Fallout-esque out of Fallout 3 it would take a complete 180degree turn in their approach to CRPGs and thats a little too unlikely for me to believe it'll happen.

DISCLAIMER: Do not take what I write seriously unless it is clearly and in no uncertain terms, declared by me to be meant in a serious and non-humoristic manner. If there is no clear indication, asume the post is written in jest. This notification is meant very seriously and its purpouse is to avoid misunderstandings and the consequences thereof. Furthermore; I can not be held accountable for anything I write on these forums since the idea of taking serious responsability for my unserious actions, is an oxymoron in itself.

Important: as the following sentence contains many naughty words I warn you not to read it under any circumstances; botty, knickers, wee, erogenous zone, psychiatrist, clitoris, stockings, bosom, poetry reading, dentist, fellatio and the department of agriculture.

"I suppose outright stupidity and complete lack of taste could also be considered points of view. "

Morrowind was such a shallow game, no deep dialogue or great characters.

No role-playing cause and effect. Just level-grind, loot to become god in Vardenfell.

I just can't see Bethesda following up on one of the best RPGs ever, using their previous games as yardstick.

Imagine Fallout with wiki-dialogue.

FO3 should have been released already... Leonard, Tim, Jason and co.

could have done it justice.

Alas... it was not meant to be.

Still, if Bethesda can prove me wrong and create a great Fallout game.

I hope the devs realize what made Fallout so great and build on those strenghts.

Quality RPGs: A rare breed these days.

Well, the chances of it being turn-based is about nill. The chances of it being isometric is also about nill.

So all that MAY be left is the "fallout spirit", as they say. I however feel that much of the fallout spirit is the turnbased combat and isometric view. Especially the turn-based combat with all the aiming at body parts and stuff.

Bethesda could probably make a FP-RPG set in the fallout world. I'm not sure if it could be called Fallout 3 though, as the mechanics around the actual game would likely be too much changed.

Wether or not that game is good or not doesn't really have anything to do with how close it is to Fallout 1/2 in game mechanics.

What I'm trying to say is that they may make a good Fallout game, but the chances that it'll be a "true fallout 3" game are perhaps low. You know, like "Fallout Massive RPG" might be a better title than Fallout 3.

Morrowind was such a shallow game, no deep dialogue or great characters.

No role-playing cause and effect. (snipp0d)

I think that's Morrowind's biggest flaw. While it's awesome that you can ask people about a lot of things, it's not so awesome when almost every character has the same things to say. It's like they're all information-consoles, linked to a database.

Fallout had lots of different characters with different dialogue (that's like the alpha and omega of Roleplaying games, ain't it?). Bethesda claims that they'll change that for oblivion. If they manage to get out of that loop, they might still make Fallout 3 interesting in that aspect.

On one hand, I dislike the idea of a FP, real-time Fallout game.

On the other hand, I'm quite glad that Troika isn't doing Fallout 3 simply because the only game they've done that I would conisder great is Bloodlines which, ironically, is an FP, real-time game.

If they're going to show something at E3, then it makes sense to wait until they show it before we attack Bethesda.

Fionavar's Holliday Wishes to all members of our online community:  Happy Holidays

Join the revelry at the Obsidian Plays channel:
Obsidian Plays

Remembering tarna, Phosphor, Metadigital, and Visceris.  Drink mead heartily in the halls of Valhalla, my friends!

On one hand, I dislike the idea of a FP, real-time Fallout game.

On the other hand, I'm quite glad that Troika isn't doing Fallout 3 simply because the only game they've done that I would conisder great is Bloodlines which, ironically, is an FP, real-time game.

If they're going to show something at E3, then it makes sense to wait until they show it before we attack Bethesda.

If they show enough for anyone to comment on even then :ermm: ... I was under the impression that they're on a concept level on Fallout 3.

I agree though, saying that "Bethesda sucks and everything their hands touch turn into poo" is rather hasty to say the least.

And, unfortunately, Troika is no more...

I agree though, saying that "Bethesda sucks and everything their hands touch turn into poo" is rather hasty to say the least.

Hasty? Only an idiot would draw that conclusion yet.

I would be far more worried about Fallout 3's future if Bethesda hadn't realized they did something wrong with Morrowind/Daggerfall. But in interview after interview they've admitted that their games haven't been all they could have been and they've put their finger on the most apparent and game-killing flaws (dead world, dictionary NPC's and so on). If they can see what they've done wrong before, then there's a big possibility they're willing to try and change that with Oblivion and Fallout 3. As long as you recognize the problem, you have a chance to redeem yourself, and that's what I think Bethesda might be able to do. Time will tell.

Swedes, go to: Spel2, for the latest game reviews in swedish!

Amen, that's what I was trying to say.

And considering Fallout 3 will be released after Oblivion, the chances that Fallout 3 will be further cleansed from what flaws Bethesda's previous games have is even greater. (Considering that the changes they've made in Oblivion will have had time to be commented upon by the players).

So yeah, only time will tell.

And, unfortunately, Troika is no more...

That's what really bites, isn't it? After all, ToEE showed real promise, even with all of the flaws. Bloodlines was a great game. Now, however, Troika is gone and it is impossible for them to live up to hint of what they might have become. For my part, I would like to have seen a new ToEE game that took advantage of what the engine could do. I would like to have seen a continuation of the VtM storyline, and I'm not even a VtM fan.

Bethesda has Fallout 3, and I'm happy to give it a look, but something tells me it won't be the Fallout I wanted. It can be a great game, and there's a good chance I'll buy it if it looks promising, but I don't have faith that we'll ever get another Fallout game. Not a real one, at least.

Fionavar's Holliday Wishes to all members of our online community:  Happy Holidays

Join the revelry at the Obsidian Plays channel:
Obsidian Plays

Remembering tarna, Phosphor, Metadigital, and Visceris.  Drink mead heartily in the halls of Valhalla, my friends!

I totally agree that the isometric view and the aiming of specific body parts(groin) is a great part of the Fallout atmosphere. Of course, there were similar concerns about Metroid making the 'jump' to 3d, but that seemed to have turned out ok.

I haven't played the new Metroid games, but the response seems to be good. I still have fun playing Metroid on my GBA though.

O'course, Metroid had always been a game that relied on player skill... Any concerns surrounding its jump from sidescrolling 2D into firstperson 3D were as minimal as whatever concerns may have been surrounding the same thing in regards to games like Metal Gear or Grand Theft Auto. The gameplay would remain the same, and the switch didn't tamper with it... Fallout, or any game that operates primarily on character skill being changed into a player reflex fest, or halfway combining player and character skill, affects some underlying gameplay elements of the game.