What are the point of Vibroblades?

Ok, other then gameplay wise, let's just assume this:

Blaster Rifles are like bullets, they are usually one hit kill or if some soldier has nice armou a couple hits (even the stormtroopers had armour, they got knocked out/killed in one hit).

Now in the game it makes sense that a non-Jedi character has a sword because so they can defend themselves close range, but other than fighting against Jedi, why do they carry around Vibroblades? It doesn't make sense. If Blaster Rifles are like bullets, then why in RL don't we see people carrying swords either?

Now you might say it's to counter Jedi, but aren't Jedi mostly extinct now? and even BEFORE, why would ordinary thugs carry them to fight a group of a few thousand?

Now, some of the swords like maybe those short short stun sticks are realistic, but other then Hanharr who can "shrug" away a blaster fire, what are the point of Vibroblades?

The biggest thing I don't understand, is why do ordinary soldiers have them? Hey it's POSSIBLE that some thug would want a Vibroblade, maybe, but a soldier?

I mean, using the era's logic, in RL the soldiers should all have back-up medieval swords in close quarters(yeah they have bayonets and knives, but thats WAY different).

So other than for gameplay sake (and I'm NOT arguing there! perfectly realistic for gameplay sake) can anyone explain to me, using the SW Era why they would use Vibroblades when a blaster, just like a pistol in real life, can still work in close quarters?

Hmmm...Energy Shields, good point...

I know KOTOR is thousand years before the SW Saga, but if these Energy Shields are so useful against blaster fire, why do the seemingly more advanced troops use them in the original, and prequel sagas?

BTW, Please don't take this post as an "Star wars sucks, look at all these contradictions", I'm just trying to learn about this oddities, since Im not that big an SW fan

Technology got lost in wars, things like personal sheild generators dos till exist, but not to the same extent.

Think of the Star Wars time-frame as our own (as humanity).

Romans had amazing technology... then when the empire collapsed it was mostly lost, and for around 400 years things were actually worse. Now change that 400 too 4000 and it seems that Star Wars makes sense again...

Else thats how i see it =s

@Drakron- Sorry let me elaborate. When I mean like bullets, they:

1.) Move fast enough that non-Jedi cannot dodge them deliberately

2.)One-hit= one kill (or wound or just incapicitated)

I mean't they are like bullets in comparison of RL era to SW era

An "arms race" is exactly that. Someone invents a better weapon, someone else invents a better shield. Ad infinitum.

It is reasonable to conclude that any shield from the KotOR period is antiquated and easily countered by the contemporary weapons.

OBSCVRVM PER OBSCVRIVS ET IGNOTVM PER IGNOTIVS

ingsoc.gif

OPVS ARTIFICEM PROBAT

Blasters became more powerful in 4000 years, and the power supply a personal shield like the kind used in the KoTOR era would require to deflect/absorb a blast from an Imperial era blaster, would be...inconvenient for your average SW galaxy humanoid to carry around.

It would seem that the Gungans had developed more efficient power supplies for their personal shields, but even those didn't cover their entire bodies. We also see that some of the more powerful kinds of battledroid, can mount a fully functioning personal shield, but it would also seem that they can not move while the shield is active. So it can be surmised that personal shields DO still exist in the Imperial era, but due to the limited protection/mobility that most types can offer(not to mention the cost), they are not commonly used

@metadigital: Makes sense, so your concluding that the SW era blasters can go through energy shields and thus vibroblades are useless....that explains it!

Well I think that makes a lot of sense now actually

this is the same as asking : "why does light come out of stick and slices people :devil: " or "hey since when there is life on other planets. Star Wars is a film, a great film, one of the far most deep scince-fictions, but it is a film so dont make it to your life. you can enyoy it or spoil it with questions about realism :devil:

How about this? Everything beyond the original trilogy is an afterthought and GL had no idea of the kind of "technology" that would spawn from the imaginations of those licensed to elaborate on the SW universe. So.....Lucas didn't think to have personal shields in SWOT.

As for vibroblades, some people really do carry knives, i guess this wuld be the SW equivalent.

Makes total sense to me, Vidbroblades and other mele weapons weren't ment for jedi. Only Jedi, "sith," and/or force-attuned people could used light sabers, It's a special ability to even be able to use one. The first weapons invented was probably a rock, then a blunt weapon, the a knife, then a spear, then a sword. Since only a select(trained) few can use a lightsaber, then what will everyone else use? A sword of course, and even better a vibro-blade. The "vibro" part is explained soooo many times, you just need to look.

this is the same as asking : "why does light come out of stick and slices people :o " or "hey since when there is life on other planets. Star Wars is a film, a great film, one of the far most deep scince-fictions, but it is a film so dont make it to your life. you can enyoy it or spoil it with questions about realism :thumbsup:

While you may not enjoy it, other people DO. So, unless we are going to be making fun of eachother and laugh about how geeky we ALL are, then please leve the rest of us to ponder the complexities of the imaginary SW galaxy. :thumbsup:

Actually blaster bolts are slower that bullets even if it was meant for the audience being able to see then.

Jedi dont dodge blaster, they use the lightsaber to deflect it (one could argue about Force Powers allowing then so but there is no movie evidence).

Actually thinking about it I remenber in the EU the empire uses a varient of Stormtroopers for toxic/radioactive enviroments that are issued vibrobales because blasters sometimes cannot be used in such condictions.

drakron.png

this is the same as asking : "why does light come out of stick and slices people :o " or "hey since when there is life on other planets. Star Wars is a film, a great film, one of the far most deep scince-fictions, but it is a film so dont make it to your life. you can enyoy it or spoil it with questions about realism :thumbsup:

While you may not enjoy it, other people DO. So, unless we are going to be making fun of eachother and laugh about how geeky we ALL are, then please leve the rest of us to ponder the complexities of the imaginary SW galaxy. :thumbsup:

well, you certanly got a point there :o and im glad for the swords and vibroblades. they are much more cooler than the blasters

Actually blaster bolts are slower that bullets even if it was meant for the audience being able to see then.

Jedi dont dodge blaster, they use the lightsaber to deflect it (one could argue about Force Powers allowing then so but there is no movie evidence).

Actually thinking about it I remenber in the EU the empire uses a varient of Stormtroopers for toxic/radioactive enviroments that are issued vibrobales because blasters sometimes cannot be used in such condictions.

I was discussing something with a friend about just using projectile weapons against jedi, because if they tried to stop a bullet with their lightsaber it would just superheat it and still hit the Jedi. They can stop blaster bolts because they can reflect energy, but metal it just melts.

The area between the balls and the butt is a hotbed of terrorist activity.

Devastatorsig.jpg

I was discussing something with a friend about just using projectile weapons against jedi, because if they tried to stop a bullet with their lightsaber it would just superheat it and still hit the Jedi. They can stop blaster bolts because they can reflect energy, but metal it just melts.

I think there is meant to be an element of "spider-sense" in the Jedi; a sort of precognition that allows them to know where the next blow / shot is coming from. (Otherwise the whole notion of reflecting LIGHT would be more than preposterous: the electro-chemical signals travelling to the brain throught the nerves of the body would not be travelling as fasat as the blaster bolt.)

So, while a Jedi may not be able to stop a metal projectile, they certainly could dodge one.

ingsoc.gif

OPVS ARTIFICEM PROBAT

if its a solid projectile they would use the force to push it away. like waht Ted did in the matrix.

Or what the Dalek did in the last-but-one episode of Dr Who.

How do we know that the force doesn't have some manageable physical characteristics? (I mean, it is a fantasy world, after all.) Perhaps the Force can be used to raise the ambient air temperature, in a highly localised volume of air near a bullet, to, say 10k degrees kelvin (approximately the temperature of the centre of the Sun)?

And it is also possible that part of this effect would cause vacuum around the super-heated area to insulate the real world from such harsh temperatures.

Or, if heat is not your thing, perhaps just a solid field of force that would ricochet the bullets; or add some sort of spin to the bullets to make them careen in safe trajectories ...

Perhaps the Force is a doorway, in inter-dimensional rift that would open and swallow the bullets (look out anyone on the other side of the wormhole!)

ingsoc.gif

OPVS ARTIFICEM PROBAT

So other than for gameplay sake (and I'm NOT arguing there! perfectly realistic for gameplay sake) can anyone explain to me, using the SW Era why they would use Vibroblades when a blaster, just like a pistol in real life, can still work in close quarters?

The answer is quite sobering. There is no reason other than for gameplay sake. :p

"Jedi poodoo!" - some displeased Dug

S.L.J. said he has already filmed his death scene and was visibly happy that he

No, they cannot push bullets away ... this is not the Matrix when they can bend or override the rules of phisics.

There is a lot of kinetic energy on a bullet in flight and its not something that be stopped at will, the energy have to go someplace.

Besides there is the fact there is a need to focus on the object and bullets travel at very high speeds and they are not easly noticed ... being able to push a bullet would be pulling a miracle.

And jedi dont have a "spider sense" either, there have been many lam-o ideas behind jedi and their abilities and I always remenber Yoda words about the force, its a powerfully ally ... nothing more.

drakron.png

No, they cannot push bullets away ... this is not the Matrix when they can bend or override the rules of phisics.

There is a lot of kinetic energy on a bullet in flight and its not something that be stopped at will, the energy have to go someplace.

Besides there is the fact there is a need to focus on the object and bullets travel at very high speeds and they are not easly noticed ... being able to push a bullet would be pulling a miracle.

And jedi dont have a "spider sense" either, there have been many lam-o ideas behind jedi and their abilities and I always remenber Yoda words about the force, its a powerfully ally ... nothing more.

Huh?

post-1629-1116283626.gif

"Jedi poodoo!" - some displeased Dug

S.L.J. said he has already filmed his death scene and was visibly happy that he

"No, they cannot push bullets away ... this is not the Matrix when they can bend or override the rules of phisics."

What do you call making stuff move by itself then?

"There is a lot of kinetic energy on a bullet in flight and its not something that be stopped at will, the energy have to go someplace."

Yes, I guess there's a lot of it. But I guess it takes a lot of energy to levitate a starfighter out of a swamp, too.

"And jedi dont have a 'spider sense' either, there have been many lam-o ideas behind jedi and their abilities and I always remenber Yoda words about the force, its a powerfully ally ... nothing more."

It's funny then, that Qui-Gon, when talking about the amazing jedi reflexes in EP1, mentioned something quite like the "spider sense". Maybe I remember wrong, but I doubt it.

9/30 -- NEVER FORGET!