PCI, AGP, PCI-E???

Ohma

Like the title and sub. say, is there any way for me (short of opening up my comp. and taking a look inside) to find out how many PCI/AGP/PCI-E slots I have?

I'm getting a new GFX card soon so I would like to know what sort of pin config. I should use...

heh...sorry if I'm being clueless here... :">

OH, waittaminute...my GFX card's advanced tab says it's in an AGP 4x bus...but...my little "My System's Device Manager" says it's in PCI bus 1 >_<

So...is one of these incorrect, are they talking about different things...am I crazy?!

...or just so lazy that I haven't cracked my box open yet to have a look inside? [A: Yes :) ]

Device Manager dont know the differance between an AGP/PCI-E slot from an ordinary PCI slot.

What kind of GFX are ye buying?

DISCLAIMER: Do not take what I write seriously unless it is clearly and in no uncertain terms, declared by me to be meant in a serious and non-humoristic manner. If there is no clear indication, asume the post is written in jest. This notification is meant very seriously and its purpouse is to avoid misunderstandings and the consequences thereof. Furthermore; I can not be held accountable for anything I write on these forums since the idea of taking serious responsability for my unserious actions, is an oxymoron in itself.

Important: as the following sentence contains many naughty words I warn you not to read it under any circumstances; botty, knickers, wee, erogenous zone, psychiatrist, clitoris, stockings, bosom, poetry reading, dentist, fellatio and the department of agriculture.

"I suppose outright stupidity and complete lack of taste could also be considered points of view. "

most likely it will be at least an agp slot, whether its 4x or 8x you will find in your bios. You wont have PCI-e unless the pc is less than a couple years old (but i am not sure)

Your bios will have the info - just dont mess around with it if you dont know what you are doing.

my GFX card's advanced tab says it's in an AGP 4x

Then you have an AGP slot. Congrats :rolleyes:

..pesnally, me Is gonna bai one a dem wickid PCI-E tings wiv' SLI, aight.

DISCLAIMER: Do not take what I write seriously unless it is clearly and in no uncertain terms, declared by me to be meant in a serious and non-humoristic manner. If there is no clear indication, asume the post is written in jest. This notification is meant very seriously and its purpouse is to avoid misunderstandings and the consequences thereof. Furthermore; I can not be held accountable for anything I write on these forums since the idea of taking serious responsability for my unserious actions, is an oxymoron in itself.

Important: as the following sentence contains many naughty words I warn you not to read it under any circumstances; botty, knickers, wee, erogenous zone, psychiatrist, clitoris, stockings, bosom, poetry reading, dentist, fellatio and the department of agriculture.

"I suppose outright stupidity and complete lack of taste could also be considered points of view. "

Yay, I DO have an AGP slot, thankee-sai for the help everyone. Yeah, I'm going to get myself a shiny new GeForce 6600GT.

Thank goodness for VOS Computers, without them there wouldn't be a single place inside 50 miles that sold anything higher than my GF4MX (if only Egghead hadn't jumped on 73h 1n74rw3b bandwagon...)...which can't run Psychonauts...so...there goes my desposable income for several months...but it was going to happen eventually so... :ermm:

it's not that the device manager doesn't know the difference, it's that AGP is PCI! same difference, just a slightly different electrical/mechanical configuration. any new mobo has one AGP slot and typically 4 or 5 PCI slots. PCI-E is new and not very well supported, though that will probably change. rest assured, if you have an AGP graphics card, it is in an AGP slot, as the interconnect is not compatible with any other form factor.

taks

comrade taks... just because.