Star Maps Or Jedi Masters

I liked the way an enemy who had been hunting you down turned up just before reaching a starmap :)

The Jedi Masters were boring and there wasn't enough oppotunity to be really obnoxious to them, true you could kill them, but I'd rather irritate them, annoy them on purpose, say rude things and still pass as lightside ;)"

Starmaps :-

It would have been cool if all the Jedi Master conversations had as much depth as the first one with Atris. I loved when you get to the point in her conversation where you're winning the argument and she just gives up and pretty much tells you you're wrong and to shut up.

The area between the balls and the butt is a hotbed of terrorist activity.

Devastatorsig.jpg

[Well, we initially didn't know about the Power benefits; we were searching for meaning to our existence. Maybe Obsidian were just being deeper than I give them credit for: the answers we seek are gained from within, and those who we look to find them will be nothing but a disapointment in the end ... :D

That's almost a bit too true to life, isn't it? :-"

Cloris

I liked the Jedi Master concept better, but the star maps were better visually...but....

think of it this way, it is an interesting point of view...

I view the Sith Lords as more of a game that is about being manipulated/trained by a Sith Lord in disguise, Darth Traya....you regained your force powers because of the wound in the force and stealing the force from others, which is a darkside trait, kreia made u more powerful, and even if you were fully lightside, you didn't know what was really going on behind the scenes so you were pretty much trained as a Sith, but lied to in the process...thats why the Jedi Masters had to destroy you, Kreia's little Nihilus junior play toy....

so instead of the traditional, find and rescue the jedi and unite to destroy the evil sith, you find out that you are the one that needed to be stopped the whole time....and the jedi turn on you, at that point, you have to really choose the light or dark by stopping the sith or using ur new found power and becoming the next Nihilus....see?

so in that sense, it wouldnt have made sense to reunite with the jedi, and even tho its tragic, its a dark game so I like the tragic "fate" of things as they were...and if you think of it from that point of view....

the jedi are cooler than starmaps, and this game really did turn out abit like Empire Strikes Back, just let it sink in....yes....your thoughts betray you...you know it to be true....

I think you meant to say:

I liked the Jedi Master concept better, but the star maps were better visually...but....

think of it this way, it is an interesting point of view...

I view the Sith Lords as more of a game that is about being manipulated/trained by

a Sith Lord in disguise, Darth Traya....you regained your force powers because of the wound in the force and stealing the force from others, which is a darkside trait, kreia made u more powerful, and even if you were fully lightside, you didn't know what was really going on behind the scenes so you were pretty much trained as a Sith, but lied to in the process...thats why the Jedi Masters had to destroy you, Kreia's little Nihilus junior play toy....

so instead of the traditional, find and rescue the jedi and unite to destroy the evil sith, you find out

that you are the one that needed to be stopped the whole time....and the jedi turn on you, at that point, you have to really choose the light or dark by stopping the sith or using ur new found power and becoming the next Nihilus....see?

so in that sense, it wouldnt have made sense to reunite with the jedi, and even tho its tragic, its a dark game so I like the tragic "fate" of things as they were...and if you think of it from that point of view....

the jedi are cooler than starmaps, and this game really did turn out abit like Empire Strikes Back, just let it sink in....yes....your thoughts betray you...you know it to be true....

I have no problem with this, it is good.

The accompanying dialogue and lack of choices therein devalued the whole experience.

Also I liked the hidden planet better than M5; there was more to do in different ways (pick sides).

PS This is in the General discussion, so you should prevent the general audience from learning stuff they mightn't know yet with the SPOILER tag. :rolleyes:

OBSCVRVM PER OBSCVRIVS ET IGNOTVM PER IGNOTIVS

ingsoc.gif

OPVS ARTIFICEM PROBAT

Sorry I forgot, I've been spending much of my time in spoiler forums and out of the Obsidian boards for awhile, so I wasnt' thinking lol. I think it's safe to say that I didn't spoil anyone tho.

K1 was a more fullfilling game, but for me, I think it is because it was the first and more revolutionary than K2....

Altho I thought the endings were better in K1, I still stand by my theory of K2 having a better story, because it does...even tho the gameplay is un-changed from the first (pretty much) and things of that nature have been "done before", the story hasnt, and is original, kind of the opposite of the original game....so it's like one has great gameplay and cliche story, and the other has a cliche gameplay and great story....especially after they make K3 (if they do) it will make k2 a much more enjoyable experience, looking back on it...kind of like the response to Pinkerton for any of you Weezer fans....you just wait till the Green album comes out ;-)

Looking for and finding the star maps was more satisfying, reflecting in my view the fact that Kotor 1 was a more satisfying and simpler game. More satisfying is not necessarily better, of course. But the star maps led inexorably to the Star Forge and gave a sense of momentum to the game. The search for the Jedi Masters was less important, as it turned out, or rather, it was up to you to invest it with the meaning and importance you considered appropriate.

"An electric puddle is not what I need right now." (Nina Kalenkov)

Star Maps, for sure.

After finishing, I see no real point in looking for the Jedi. I learned nothing from them, and, well, that's really it (without getting into spoilers). The only one that was remotely interesting was Atris, and that's because she actually had some interesting conversation possibilities.

Star maps: because there was a definite goal in looking for them: finding the starforge and stop Malak (very starwars-ish) . In Kotor2, I never got really involved in the storyline and never felt any strong reason to look for the Jedi Masters other than

to know what has happened and none of them had an answer. I would have expected the Masters to each give me some pieces of information that would make sense put together but they all said the same thing:that they knew nothing... Too many conversations leading nowhere to my taste.

Guest MacleodCorp

Star Maps... All the way! There is a sence of mystery to a puzzle, which you the pc have control over. The Star Maps allowed you to get more involved with the game. I felt like I was solving a puzzle. When you collected all the maps, they lead you to Malak, and kicking his but was a great award!

The search for the Jedi was no secret. You gather them, so you can fight the Sith. No big secret there, and your award is: Not an award any way! (I did not want to spoil it for anyone who has not played the game.)

I think RPGs, even table top RPGs, need to allow the PC to explore, and the mystery needs to be tense. Searching for Star Maps was an important mission, which encouraged you to complete tasks.

Star Maps All The Way! (w00t)

The starmaps where a lot better to find then some Jedi Masters. Reason for this:

1) LS, You know that by finding the Starmaps to ultimately destroy the Star Forge the republic and the galaxy depends on your success. If you fail then the Sith would have won.

If you are to find some Jedi Masters, it is only because they know what happened to you and you think you have found some allies to stop the Sith. But then you also know that these Jedi are the ones who were responsible for your exile, so you should know not to trust them.

2) DS, You think that this Star Forge you can find with the Star Maps is a great tool for use to rule the galaxy.

If you kill some Jedi Masters and pave the way for some ruthless mercenaries on Dantooine and a dictatorship on Onderon, it will not particularly help you concering the galaxy since they are not the best allies you can have but will provide a good challenge for the Mandalorians for another crusade, should you wish to help them.

Master Vandar lives!

They both sucked. They where all derivative of NWN's first chapter. As was SOTU. I'm tired of collecting for damned organisms or items. It is becoming VERY repetitive, why cannot the next Kotor break the mold and actually offer an INTERESTING mid-game main quest. ANd speaking odf that, the last 2 games have had virtually the smae structure. I want something new. I don't want to collect 4 godsbedamned artifacts, organisms, starships, keys. barrels of moonshine, Doomsday Devices, or digital codes!

They both sucked. They  where all derivative of NWN's  first chapter. As was SOTU. I'm tired of collecting for damned organisms or items. It is becoming VERY repetitive, why cannot the next Kotor break the mold and actually offer an INTERESTING mid-game main quest. ANd speaking odf that, the last 2 games have had virtually the smae structure. I want something new. I don't want to collect 4 godsbedamned artifacts, organisms, starships, keys. barrels of moonshine, Doomsday Devices, or digital codes!

Why don't you give as an idea of what you would like to look for. Or better, post it in a Kotor III topic in the Obsidian General forum. I mean, everybody would want to search for Revan and the Sith in Kotor III, and there could be several ways to accomplish this. Interrogating prisoners, Visit worlds where Revan has been, unlocking the voiceprint code of the navicomputer of the Ebon Hawk etc. etc. etc.

Master Vandar lives!

They both sucked. They  where all derivative of NWN's  first chapter. As was SOTU. I'm tired of collecting for damned organisms or items. It is becoming VERY repetitive, why cannot the next Kotor break the mold and actually offer an INTERESTING mid-game main quest. ANd speaking odf that, the last 2 games have had virtually the smae structure. I want something new. I don't want to collect 4 godsbedamned artifacts, organisms, starships, keys. barrels of moonshine, Doomsday Devices, or digital codes!

So what you basically want is a game with no story and the chance to blow the Sith to H E double Hockey Sticks? :thumbsup:

KOTOR I Pros: Realistic storyline, customizing your Lightsabers power, and turret games.

KOTOR I Cons: Dumb Jedi Robes, Lack of custom hilts, Jedi Powers that are only useful in battle, And Never reaching any rank above Padawan

KOTOR II Pros: Real Jedi Robes, Super Cool Color Crystals, Random Stuff, And Everybody can be a Jedi.

KOTOR II Cons: Stupid Story, No Real Enemies, No Custom Hilts, Jedi Powers that once again aren't useful outside of battle, Visas Marr, And No Ending.

Statemeant: you cannot stop me you cannot harm me, in order to do that I would need to stop being one of you; I have concluded that this is something I am willing to accept!

In short you have just shown me your soft meatbag-like underbellies and said

I want a story, But I am VERY tired of colelcting "4" of everything. I don't want to freaking collect items. I want more missions similair to the Onderon civil war, but with numerous factions. I want to truly impact the galaxy. SUre there could be 1 or 2 uber artifacts found in SIth Tombs or Temples, but they would supplement the player (and thus, potentially, the plot) rather than be collected for a special and probably pointless purpose. I want an innovative plot, not just another rehash of NWN's first chapter (which featured collecting 4 items to create a plague cure), or Sotu's (find 4 artifacts that have been lost/stolen for whatever purpose), or Kotor (find 4 starmaps to locate a starforge), or Kotor2 (find 4 jedi masters so Kreia can randomly execute them. Or you may execute them). If it is a "collect crap" main qjuest, then at least make the "crap" innovative, I.E. not just 4 "starmaps" make the artifacts/organisms varied/ For example, after colelcting 4 starmaps you would have to find an interpreter, and then accquire passage to the system, etc.

In both games, finding the SM/JM was the penultimate reason for being on the planets. To get there, you fulfilled quests in your search. I thought both KotORs were similar in that regard.

The letdown, for me, in KotOR II was the non-engaging storyline (though I am having slightly more fun the second time through) and the fact that no matter what path you choose, the JMs aren't going to live. That didn't even leave me the satisfaction of looting their bodies afterward. In KotOR I you could at least turn Bastila to the DS or LS or six feet under, if you wanted. In KotOR II, you basically had no choice. Yes, you personally could choose LS or DS, but the outcome was exactly the same, except for the accrual of LS or DS points.

KotOR II was clearly designed to be much larger than what we received. If that vision had been executed correctly, I don't think we'd be having these polls and questions in regard to which one was "better". But since we are comparing the two games that are out on the retail shelf, I would have to ultimately give the nod to Star Maps because the entire experience was better.

All my 0.02 USD, IMO, etc.