Murder most foul

evilhippo

Its a rank rather than a formal title. You don't call a General a General-ess do you?

The area between the balls and the butt is a hotbed of terrorist activity.

Devastatorsig.jpg

And "mistress" sounds way too kinky :)"

DISCLAIMER: Do not take what I write seriously unless it is clearly and in no uncertain terms, declared by me to be meant in a serious and non-humoristic manner. If there is no clear indication, asume the post is written in jest. This notification is meant very seriously and its purpouse is to avoid misunderstandings and the consequences thereof. Furthermore; I can not be held accountable for anything I write on these forums since the idea of taking serious responsability for my unserious actions, is an oxymoron in itself.

Important: as the following sentence contains many naughty words I warn you not to read it under any circumstances; botty, knickers, wee, erogenous zone, psychiatrist, clitoris, stockings, bosom, poetry reading, dentist, fellatio and the department of agriculture.

"I suppose outright stupidity and complete lack of taste could also be considered points of view. "

... i thought of pointing that out kaftan but i think the thread starter already had that in mind.

Oerwinde's suggestion of Generaless - :) bwahahahahahaha! a female general!

Anyway the title "Master" is more likely referring to the jedi's skill with the force.

... i thought of pointing that out kaftan but i think the thread starter already had that in mind.

Oerwinde's suggestion of Generaless - :shifty: bwahahahahahaha! a female general!

Anyway the title "Master" is more likely referring to the jedi's skill with the force.

Irrespective, the point stands: it is poor English, a further IQ-reducing hammer blow to the already-battered intellect of the English-speaking group consciousness. Dumbing down on a scale foretold by George Orwell, where the language is pruned of "unnecessary" words. Our decendants will all be using a vocabulary of 1000 words with SMS text spelling.

Reclaim the word back from the one-dimensional prurient idiom: I like the word a lot and I would hate to see it become simply a perjorative term.

I think the feminine forms are cool; I 'd rather be an aviatrix than a boring aviator.

Another favourite word is Ambassadress. :thumbsup:

I think the whole trend is doublepluss bad. :'(

OBSCVRVM PER OBSCVRIVS ET IGNOTVM PER IGNOTIVS

ingsoc.gif

OPVS ARTIFICEM PROBAT

Yeah, this is kinda of a sticking point for me too, usually whenever I hear an actress refered to as an 'actor'. Unfortunately the abandonment of feminine forms have several political proponents.

Also: The word aviatrix sounds so cool.

It's like in the forces, women officers are often referred to as 'Sir'

Star Trek [2]:The Wrath of Khan, Admiral Kirk addressed Kirsty Alley's character as "Mr Savik". :-"

"I think the whole trend is doublepluss bad. "

Doubleplus ungood. Ungood!

*smacks head* I shall report for re-education immediately. :lol:

ingsoc.gif

OPVS ARTIFICEM PROBAT

Ah, the subtle irony of your foreign pigdog language has yet again managed to elude me.

*smacks head* I shall report for re-education immediately. :-

Tell me, how many shark-fishsticks am I holding up?

DISCLAIMER: Do not take what I write seriously unless it is clearly and in no uncertain terms, declared by me to be meant in a serious and non-humoristic manner. If there is no clear indication, asume the post is written in jest. This notification is meant very seriously and its purpouse is to avoid misunderstandings and the consequences thereof. Furthermore; I can not be held accountable for anything I write on these forums since the idea of taking serious responsability for my unserious actions, is an oxymoron in itself.

Important: as the following sentence contains many naughty words I warn you not to read it under any circumstances; botty, knickers, wee, erogenous zone, psychiatrist, clitoris, stockings, bosom, poetry reading, dentist, fellatio and the department of agriculture.

"I suppose outright stupidity and complete lack of taste could also be considered points of view. "

Star Trek [2]:The Wrath of Khan, Admiral Kirk addressed Kirsty Alley's character as "Mr Savik". :-"

*smacks head* I shall report for re-education immediately. :lol:

Indeed doubleplus ungood comrade...

Greetings,

Saraya

Not in the British military, unless you want to end up on charges! The term used is Ma'am.

... and ma'am is short for madam, right? So what happens if you call them a madam? :-"

As many as you want? (Just don't pull my tooth out!) :ph34r:

Actually, I think I had yesterday's dictionary ... I didn't know there was a new version ... honest!

ingsoc.gif

OPVS ARTIFICEM PROBAT

Not in the British military, unless you want to end up on charges! The term used is Ma'am.

... and ma'am is short for madam, right? So what happens if you call them a madam? :-"

As many as you want? (Just don't pull my tooth out!) :ph34r:

Actually, I think I had yesterday's dictionary ... I didn't know there was a new version ... honest!

This reminds me of the days when both sexes were "Тавариш"...is there a female version of "Comrade" in olde english MetaD?

Ok, i agree but in my mind i simply put it down to Americanese.

There is a growing trend to view the male version of a pronoun as the "sexless" version, and therefore preferred; whereas the female version still denotes gender.

For the sake of all that is good and holy, don't get me started on gender and language!!!

Cloris

Ok, i agree but in my mind i simply put it down to Americanese.

There is a growing trend to view the male version of a pronoun as the "sexless" version, and therefore preferred; whereas the female version still denotes gender.

For the sake of all that is good and holy, don't get me started on gender and language!!!

Cloris

...So, how 'bout them genders and languages?

As Atris, Vash and Kae are women, why are they called "master" rather than "mistress"?  Not good English, methinks  :-

Notice the irony.. :blink:

Not sure what you're getting at here: methinks is an old English word that means "it seems to me". :x

This reminds me of the days when both sexes were "Тавариш"...is there a female version of "Comrade" in olde english MetaD?

It seems to be from old Spanish for "roommate", first coined as an honorific in the French Revolution (okay it was to avoid "Mister"), so there is no immediate need to feminise the word. (We don't need to add complexity. :D )

Only in the US.

I specifically follow the idiom of using the female pronouns, if only because (for the time being) it forces the reader to consider the feminine along with the masculine, afterwards.

ingsoc.gif

OPVS ARTIFICEM PROBAT

buckwink.jpg

I dont know 'bout you, but that seems like russkie talk to me..

...So, how 'bout them genders and languages?

Ahhh, there you go, you! It's way off topic. Anyway, if we value competence over gender, then genderless titles are the way to go. I'm not nearly as militant as others on the issue.

To keep it on topic, if one can master the Force, then one is a Master of the Force, no matter what equipment one carries for gentic reproduction (soemthing the Jedi aren't supposed to do anyhow).

The above is, of course, just my opinion,

Cloris

I see nothing wrong with the changing of English according to how it is used by the people who speak it. I don't see the people complaining about these changes refusing to use Modern English in favour of Old English. >_<"

In fact, when you examine some newer forms of English, such as complex leet, you find that in many ways it is more complex than standard English.

Some words die out, new ones are created. A century from now the English language will probably be as complex as ever, even if "you" is spelled "U", and "are" as "r".

Besides, when you consider that the personal pronoun is written as "I", doesn't "U" seem a more logical spelling? :blink:

Hawk! Eggplant! AWAKEN!

I see nothing wrong with the changing of English according to how it is used by the people who speak it.  I don't see the people complaining about these changes refusing to use Modern English in favour of Old English. >_<"

In fact, when you examine some newer forms of English, such as complex leet, you find that in many ways it is more complex than standard English.

Some words die out, new ones are created.  A century from now the English language will probably be as complex as ever, even if "you" is spelled "U", and "are" as "r".

Besides, when you consider that the personal pronoun is written as "I", doesn't "U" seem a more logical spelling?  :blink:

I have no issue with your logic, per se. I do think we will eventually lose the etymology of words as they change completely into new forms. (One of the irritating things about Australian English, for example, is the patently ludicrous tendency to use British spelling and US grammar -- which is almost illiterate.)

I guess there will always be a recorded mapping of the new idiomatic lexicon back onto the derivations, so I will always be able to get to the true meaning of words (very important to me).

ingsoc.gif

OPVS ARTIFICEM PROBAT