KoToR 3: Ideas and Suggestions

See previous threads:

Please feel free to contribute to the ongoing discussion. There is a lot of interest in this topic and keeping input centralised and presented in a clear and articulate manner will have more impact and influence than posting to the contrary ;)

The universe is change;
your life is what our thoughts make it
- Marcus Aurelius (161)

:dragon:

One problem with KotOR III would be the appearance of the exile. He (or she, although male is canonical) doesn't wear any masking items such as Revan's Robe and Mask. The Exile would need a concealing suit of some sort.

]Darth Nihilus mask is certainly an option, the Exile did retrieve it from him, it conceals, and looks neat.

I also think the Exile should have a silver lightsaber, as he does not belong to either side of the Force in the way other force sensitive do.

I'd hate to see Revan or the Exile as playable characters, they are simply too established and powerful. Make them bosses or non-joinable NPCs. If they are included as bosses, they would take a Light path if the PC is Dark side, and vice versa, thus creating a conflict of interests. Or, if they are not bosses, make it so that you are able to choose their dialogue at times, thus steering them against one of the Force sides.

The PC should not be a Jedi.

The Jedi Order is dead, vanished.

While the idea of having an apprentice, or Padawan, certainly sounds fun, it wouldn't fit in with the current storyline. I suggest a new person, completely new to the Force. You were not a

General

or Dark Lord of the Sith before the game. You are, instead, a person with an unusually strong connection to the Force. Your potential has to be found as well, by a Master. I suggest one of the Gray Jedi, perhaps one that left the Jedi years ago, before the Mandalorian War, but out of his/her own choice, not because of some silly exile. I also propose this Master to be male, seeing as Kreia, a female, was your Master of sorts in TSL. Perhaps even Jolee Bindo, seeing as the Light side version of KotOR I is considered canonical, which means he is alive and kicking. The PC also needs some sort of reason to find Revan and the Exile.

Next, no Ebon Hawk.

The Ebon Hawk was destroyed in TSL, as it crashed on Malachor V. See the movie callled 'Death of The Ebon Hawk' in the movies section of TSL. The Exile does infact leave Malachor V aboard a space shuttle with all his companions, not aboard the Ebon Hawk.

Bastila should be a joinable NPC, not that I like her, but because of her relationship with Revan (canonical) she may know where to find him, and finding Revan would be a big part of the game, at least in the earlier levels. HK-47 is a must, of course, as is T3-M4. Canderous and Carth would certainly be too busy to adventure. I think there should be many new characters, time to bring in some fresh blood.

Also I hope LucasArts will break their tradition of making the light side path cannoniacal. If, as I stated earlier, Revan and the Exile are bosses, they are Light side if we are to follow the canonical story. Their adversary (the PC) would then be Dark side, making that choice canonical for once.

As far as planets go, I think the player should start out not on a soon-to-be destroyed spaceship or a mining station

full of bodies

, but rather on either a city-world like Coruscant or an alien world (an alien PC would also be interesting, at least a Zabrak would be, Iridonia is neat and Zabraks do have a strong mind form before). After having resolved the conflict there, the PC and his companions (2-3 at the time) fly to some more planets to find Bastila to find out where Revan was headed. Korriban should also be included,

Kreia

herself said the Sith would return there, and it holds great symbolical power to the Sith, plus it's on the edge of the known galaxy. After this, a new act starts as the heroes travel beyond the Outer Rim. This opens up a whole new astromap.

The Sith Empire shouldn't be limited to one measly planet, it has had time to rebuild and conquer. The Sith are currently working on amassing a new army, and the worlds they own reflect that with starship factories, sprawling life and heavy army presence in general. One planet could perhaps be locked in a struggle between the Sith and the indigenous people, perhaps an alien race never seen before. I would also like it if this Sith Empire was in fact the remnants of Marka Ragnos' huge Empire, with real Sith (as in the alien race) and halfbreeds.

The Sith Empire would need at least two Sith Lords. Perhaps one of them has found Tulak Hord's holocrons and learned exceptional skill with a lightsaber? These Sith Lords should be different from the ones in TSL,

Sion and Nihilus were abnormal because of the events that took place on Malachor V, they are unique

. A half-breed human-Sith Sith Lord (I know, confusing) would be extremely nice.

Anyways, just my two cents. For now.

Well, since I've already pretty much managed to spoil my preferred plot and because I've been asked to tell more, here my continued KotOR3 plot suggestion:

Part 3

Knowing that the apparently dead Darth Nihilus is leading the Sith invasion force, the crew of the Ebon Hawk contact the republic and the scattered jedi. They decide to coordinate a combined preemptive strike on the enemy fleet before Darth Nihilus can use his powers on a republic world.

This leads to a major space battle, where Carth and Mandalore lead their forces against the Sith, while the Ebon Hawk makes its way to the enemy flag ship along with several jedi starfighters carrying the major jedi companions of KotOR2 (Atton, Bao-Dur, Disciple, Handmaiden, Mira and Visas).

While a major space battle is taking place, the jedi fight their way through Sith assassins to the command bridge and confront Darth Nihilus, who is facing away from them watching the space battle. He looks just as he did in KotOR2, only this time there is no vulnerable stop to use against him. The jedi don't waste time, though, and immediately rush him.

Just going hear him causes pain to the jedi, however, and the main character immediately falls to the ground screaming in pain (worse than on Coruscant), but doesn't lose consciousness this time. Nihilus incapacitates the jedi easily by draining their force, except for Visas (who has faced him before) and Atton (who has greater resistances than most). Even so they are both greatly weakened, but keep fighting while their companions stare helplessly at them. It doesn't look good until, in the heat of the battle, Visas manages to tear Nihilus' mask from his face.

All present are shocked by the sight of Nihilus' face - it's the Exile!

Though initially shocked, the jedi immediately begin appealing to the friendship they once had with the Exile. For a moment the Exile seems about to strike, but then hesitates and just stands there for an ominously long time. Eventually the Exile simply falls over, and the old companions capture their former ally and bring him/her back to the Ebon Hawk. They leave the Sith flagship as it is destroyed along with the rest of the invasion fleet.

The main character reawakens to find the Exile's old companions wondering what to do about their old friend. They are concerned that he may have fallen to the dark side, but Bastila convinces them that even the Exile may be redeemed. Besides, the Exile is now the only link to finding Revan.

While holding the Exile captive in a stasis field, they question their old friend and ask him/her what happened after the Exile left to find Revan. As they slowly keep reminding the Exile of his/her past, he/she eventually begins to remember. The Exile resists, but somehow the main character is able to tell when the Exile is resisting or remembering the most, which eventually leads the group to uncover the truth of what has been happening and make the Exile see it as well.

The Exile did go to the unknown regions to find Revan. He/she faced many Sith along the way and had to hide many times. Eventually he/she did meet Revan, only Revan had reverted back to the dark side. They fought and Revan defeated the Exile, since he/she could not bring himself/herself to harm Revan. Instead Revan turned the Exile to the dark side through the use of various force powers and Sith poisons (similar to what Aleema once did to Ulic Qel-Droma in the Dark Lords of the Sith comic, I imagine).

Revan also turned the Exile to the dark side by making him/her see the horrors of what he/she had done on Malachor V and what it had done to their fellow jedi, and how the first Darth Nihilus was born when the Exile denied a dark part of himself/herself. What Revan did made the Exile reunite with his/her "abandoned" Nihilus part, but also turned him/her to the dark side to become the new Darth Nihilus, apprentice of Darth Revan.

Revan had not joined the true Sith, however, but rather was planning to strike at them from within - he/she would gain what followers he/she could and then challenge the true Sith leaders for the rulership of the Sith empire and the title of Dark Lord. A civil war began to take shape among the Sith.

Revan then sent Nihilus (the Exile) to destroy the worlds of the enemy Sith, and that is the destruction that the jedi felt on Coruscant. But Revan also ordered Nihilus to keep their small fleet of ships close to republic space, where they could entangle the republic in the war when the time came. It would be essential to silence any resistance to such a war, which is why Sith assassins were sent to remove the notoriously pacifistic and diplomatic leaders of Alderaan.

If Revan was light side in KotOR1, Bastila will muse whether they have been lucky to capture the Exile now and so gained a chance to find Revan, or whether Revan purposefully planned all this before sacrificing himself/herself to the dark side once more (thereby mirroring the comments of sacrifice on Revan's part that Kreia mentioned to the Exile in KotOR2).

It is eventually decided that they must do something to find Revan and help him/her in the struggle against the true Sith and even bring him/her back to the light side, if possible. The Exile is the only one with knowledge of Revan's location and so must go. Nobody trusts the Exile much after seeing him/her as the new Darth Nihilus, but they do agree that they have little choice - the Exile now represents the only chance they have of striking against the true Sith, and they must take that risk.

Bastila will also go, since she has a special connection to Revan that she might use to their advantage. HK-47 and T3-M4 will also go since they know Revan and cannot be tempted by the dark side. As a non-force-user Tawyn will also go, and the main character will also go, since he/she seems to have a particular ability of empathy that allows him/her to sense the motives and emotions of others very strongly through the force. This ability was instrumental in turning the Exile back to the light side and might do the same for Revan, it is hoped.

The main character is judged to have done very well under the recent ordeals, however, and is granted full status as a jedi knight. Though this is unusual, the jedi agree that he/she has done remarkably well and advanced far in a short time, so there is no reason to let him/her continue as a padawan.

The other jedi return to their various duties in the republic, several to Coruscant to prepare for another possible invasion from the true Sith. The Ebon Hawk leaves for true Sith empire to search for Revan as per the Exile's suggestions.

Now, this is all only if the Exile was light side, of course. If he/she was dark side, then his/her companions will all likely be the same and so not appear to confront him. Those jedi that do come will still realize who they are facing, though, which puts a light/dark side option before the main character - he/she can either help Nihilus defeat the jedi or else help the jedi capture him/her. The light side option would lead to the main character eventually choosing to "escape" with the Exile and Bastila (if she is also evil) pretending to want to learn from their great power. In doing so, of course, the main character will defy the jedi, or maybe the "escape" is planned in order to let Nihilus lead the main character to Revan. This would be a very dangerous mission, where the main character will certainly be tempted by the dark side... In any event, Bastila would go along with this deception, since she (whether good or evil) is also trying to find Revan.

Jediphile, 2 things.

1)

The Ebon Hawk lies crushed on the surface of Malachor V, which was destroyed by the Mass Shadow Generator

(according to the official story).

2) According to the official story, Revan is Light side. He is also extremely powerful. People like him just don't fall to the Dark side, especially considering his past. Therefore your whole story is useless. Nice fiction though.

Jediphile, 2 things.

1)

The Ebon Hawk lies crushed on the surface of Malachor V, which was destroyed by the Mass Shadow Generator

2) According to the official story, Revan is Light side. He is also extremely powerful. People like him just don't fall to the Dark side, especially considering his past. Therefore your whole story is useless. Nice fiction though.

Revan is light side according to the official story? The only thing official is that the Star Forge was destroyed if you were Dark or Light, if Revan was Darkside, it was merely destroyed later rather than at the battle.

The area between the balls and the butt is a hotbed of terrorist activity.

Devastatorsig.jpg

Jediphile, 2 things.

1)

I'm not sure what game you played, but:

1. You fly off in

the Ebon Hawk at the end of the game

OBSCVRVM PER OBSCVRIVS ET IGNOTVM PER IGNOTIVS

ingsoc.gif

OPVS ARTIFICEM PROBAT

Jediphile, 2 things.

1)

Then why did I see the Exile and co. fly off in it at the end of KotOR2 ?

But then it hardly matters, since it won't affect my plot - the Ebon Hawk can easily be replaced by another ship...

First of all, whatever Revan might have been by canon I'd consider of secondary priority when it comes to the actual games. Sure, Revan and the Exile may be light side according to the Expanded Universe, but what they are in the actual game is entirely up to the individual player.

Also, you're overlooking something. Revan was always a great jedi, but he did fall to the dark side before. Why? Well, I'll quote Kreia, since she puts it best:

"And there is something that the Council may never understand. That perhaps Revan never fell. The difference between a fall and a sacrifice is sometimes difficult, but I feel that Revan understood that difference, more than anyone knew.The galaxy would have fallen if Revan had not gone to war. Perhaps he became the dark lord out of necessity, to prevent a greater evil."

This could certainly happen again. Why else did Revan choose to go to the unknown regions alone? Facing the dark side alone is not the way of the jedi. Revan chose to go alone because he/she did not want to subject his/her friends to the same danger and sacrifice. The Exile ended up making the same choice for the same reason...

Revan is light side according to the official story? The only thing official is that the Star Forge was destroyed if you were Dark or Light, if Revan was Darkside, it was merely destroyed later rather than at the battle.

LucasArts has stated that the Light side male story is canonical.

Ebon Hawk: Oh, right, sorry. I haven't played the game through as Light side, where this Ebon Hawk end movie appears. Playing as Dark side, you see a video where the Ebon Hawk is crushed by boulders before falling into the abyss. Since the Light side is canonical, the Ebon Hawk does survive.

Revan: If he became the Dark Lord out of necessity it means that he never fell to the Dark side, his plan was always to save the galaxy. Thus no fall took place, he just became a character that would be needed to save it. If his intentions were good all along, he never was Dark side. He could do the same again, but since he has clear, good motives, a "fall" would just mean assuming a new role where he betrays the Sith, as was his plan all along.

Where? I'm sorry to pull a Volourn but Proof Please? The official Star Wars website doesn't mention it.

Devastatorsig.jpg

Jediphile, 2 things.

1)

1) That's true, but is it certain that it was destroyed?! :geek:"

2) I think that if you go out to face the true sith ON YOUR OWN, there is a very good chance that you could fall to the dark side no matter how the official story was scripted ("especialy with a history like Revans")! :devil:

This doesn't mean it actually has to happen like that, but I too see Revan as the guy who's behind all of the stuff that might happen! I was suspecting a plot twist like that for TSL, but then again there were a lot of questions unanswered in that part. So who knows what was cut out because of time issues (don' you think it was weird that Darth Nihilus was defeated so easy?!)

I updated my previous post.

Saber, seeing as Revan never fell to the Dark side, he just assumed a role to save the galaxy, resisting ancient Sith powers like those on the Trayus Academy in the process, I doubt that the other Sith would be able to convert him. Anything they put up to manipulate him simply can't measure up against what he has endured prior to that.

Oerwinde, check out these Wikipedia links:

Darth Revan: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Darth_Revan

the Jedi Exile: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jedi_Exile

Both these articles state Lucasfilm has proclaimed the canon of both games to be the light side ending. And Wikipedia seldom lies.

OK, correct me if I'm wrong, but wasn't Revan designed sort of like Anakin. He was a highly talented jedi who went to war against the wishes of the jedi council and then fell to the DS! After that he was defeated to by Bastilla and then the game started!So I don't see where he was LS all along!? :geek:

OK, correct me if I'm wrong, but wasn't Revan designed sort of like Anakin. He was a highly talented jedi who went to war against the wishes of the jedi council and then fell to the DS! After that he was defeated to by Bastilla and then the game started!So I don't see where he was LS all along!?  :geek:

As Kreia said, "And there is something that the Council may never understand. That perhaps Revan never fell. The difference between a fall and a sacrifice is sometimes difficult, but I feel that Revan understood that difference, more than anyone knew.The galaxy would have fallen if Revan had not gone to war. Perhaps he became the dark lord out of necessity, to prevent a greater evil."

If his motives were good all along, he never fell to the Dark side.

Ebon Hawk: Oh, right, sorry. I haven't played the game through as Light side, where this Ebon Hawk end movie appears. Playing as Dark side, you see a video where the Ebon Hawk is crushed by boulders before falling into the abyss. Since the Light side is canonical, the Ebon Hawk does survive.

Revan: If he became the Dark Lord out of necessity it means that he never fell to the Dark side, his plan was always to save the galaxy. Thus no fall took place, he just became a character that would be needed to save it. If his intentions were good all along, he never was Dark side. He could do the same again, but since he has clear, good motives, a "fall" would just mean assuming a new role where he betrays the Sith, as was his plan all along.

Good intentions mean nothing. Ulic Quel'Droma fell to the dark side because he was trying to defeat the Krath, who had killed off the rulers of the Empress Teta system and were attempting to build a new empire from the Sith teachings, killing several Jedi in the process. Luke fell to the dark side because he was trying to rid the galaxy of the Emperor's clones and bring freedom to the galaxy. If Leia hadn't intervened he wouldn't have been able to come back to the light and likely would have ruled in the Emperor's place. Falling to the dark side to achieve a good goal is still falling to the dark side.

Devastatorsig.jpg

True something like that was said, but coming from Kreia, who manipulated the character through out the game?! I thought that was just her explanation for the DS. I mean she kind of questioned the whole "system" of DS and LS, urging you to abandon the old jedi beliefs.

I see where you're coming from, but I just can't agree with your interpretation!

Both these articles state Lucasfilm has proclaimed the canon of both games to be the light side ending. And Wikipedia seldom lies.

Since I can find no statement by Lucasarts or Lucasfilm, and information on Wikipedia is submitted by readers, there is no proof that the lightside ending is canon.

Devastatorsig.jpg

Since I can find no statement by Lucasarts or Lucasfilm, and information on Wikipedia is submitted by readers, there is no proof that the lightside ending is canon.

I'm having trouble finding that as well, but I believe it is LucasArts policy to choose the light side path in open-ended games such as KotOR.

I'm having trouble finding that as well, but I believe it is LucasArts policy to choose the light side path in open-ended games such as KotOR.

You would think that if that were so, that the KotOR entries in the SW Databank would reflect the light side ending, rather than an open ending.

Devastatorsig.jpg

now that they have Xbox 260 (Xbox 2) hopefully the might reveal kotor III or start on it. :)

<nitpick>360</nitpick>

I'd almost prefer them to hold off until Obsidian is finished with NWN2 so they can have a REAL crack at crafting a Star Wars masterpiece. Not that KotOR2 wasn't a real crack, it just sadly wasn't given enough time.

Devastatorsig.jpg

True something like that was said, but coming from Kreia, who manipulated the character through out the game?! I thought that was just her explanation for the DS. I mean she kind of questioned the whole "system" of DS and LS, urging you to abandon the old jedi beliefs.

I see where you're coming from, but I just can't agree with your interpretation!

What I like about Kreia's statement is that it to interpretation. Was Revan so powerful and farsighted that he sacrificed himself to the dark side for a greater cause, or was he seduced while trying to play that part?

Well, it depends entirely on your own perspective, which is what good storytelling is about. I like the nuances, the shades of gray...

Yes, this is precisely what Kreia suggests. It does seem like rather a convenient excuse to me, like she is being an apologist for Revan just so she can get rid of the mark of having all her apprentices fall to the dark side.

I could accept that Revan planned the whole thing, but to say that he never fell at all seems going to far. He did become the dark lord. Okay, so far so good, but then using the powers of the Starforge to attack the Republic does not fit with his overall goal. After all, if the Starforge is so powerful, then why didn't he just use it to fight the true Sith?

I think that Revan did sacrifice himself, but even he was unable to resist the lure of the dark side - at the end of the day, he too was corrupted by the lust for power and forgot all about fighting the true Sith. More likely, evil Revan intended to destroy the Republic and then use its resources to conquer the true Sith.

If that's the intention, then I'd really like it, because it would be incredibly ironic that Malak actually ends up saving the Republic through his treachery - Revan had lost his way at that point and would never have resumed his crusade against the true Sith. And since that crusade led to the events of KotOR2, neither would the Exile.

I can see it now - Darth Malak, unwitting savior of the Republic. Our hero! :D

Thinking that Revan was too powerful to fall to the dark side is the classic failing of the jedi, though. Indeed, those jedi who are powerful are those most vulnerable to corruption, since power flows so naturally to them. After all, resisting the temptations of the dark side is the eternal struggle of the jedi, and thinking oneself to be above that is to invite disaster. Revan, Bastila, and especially Anakin all learned that the hard way - "Power corrupts - absolute power corrupts absolutely!"

If anything, Revan's power made him more likely to fall the dark side, not less.

I updated my previous post.

Saber, seeing as Revan never fell to the Dark side, he just assumed a role to save the galaxy, resisting ancient Sith powers like those on the Trayus Academy in the process, I doubt that the other Sith would be able to convert him. Anything they put up to manipulate him simply can't measure up against what he has endured prior to that.

Yes, but I think you're confusing official Star Wars Expanded Universe canon with internal KotOR plot progression.

I know that Revan was supposed to end up light sided by official canon, but I do believe that decision was made a long time ago, and yet you can still set him to both dark side and female in KotOR2. Why?

Because fitting the KotOR2 plot with whatever people played in KotOR1 is far more important than fitting it with the Expanded Universe. Besides, the EU is not contradicted by that, only supplemented.

Also, whether Revan fell to the dark side by choice or not the first time around, why would he not do so again? After all, he didn't manage to defeat the true enemy the first time, which would mean that he will fail to save the Republic from the true Sith unless he sacrifices himself again.

After all, the whole point of KotOR2 was to set up the evolving plot so that both Revan and the Exile would have the true Sith as an enemy no matter which side of the force they ended up on.

Now, I do commend Obsidian on engineering the whole plot and making it work toward that end, and I did enjoy and respect the storytelling, but that does not mean that I don't see how they manipulated the plot to fit with a game that would be the same for both light and dark side characters.

Ah, yes, I agree with you, Jediphile.

One thing though. Kreia said Revan abandoned the Star Forge because the war he was headed to would not be fought through such (military) means. His plan of saving the Republic's infrastructure was in case of a worst-case scenario where the true Sith attacked the galaxy.

Now for something completely different. The new villains (Sith) of KOTOR III should be very different from those of the previous games. Revan, Malak,

Traya

, Nihilus and Sion were not taught by Sith, they simply uncovered their artifacts and remnants of their power, which corrupted them.

I'd hate to see another character like Darth Nihilus. Reason: He was a product of the events that occurred on Malachor V, his ability to consume life and midichlorians came from that. He was unique, a creature created from the massive wound in the force.

I say bring back the true half-breed Sith (with their red skin and tentacle beards), the lightsaber masters, the true "priests" of the Dark side.