Alan Wake

Yeah, sorry... I found it on the official website a mere second after posting :ermm:

The only beef I have with Riddick is the deformation. Especially on Riddicks arse, as seen when he crouches and climbs.

If you don't know what deformation means; it's what happens with the geometry when you move the bones of a model. The vertices move (lower arm, upper arm) etc, and that's all swell... but in areas like the shoulders and armpits you get problems because if the wrong points move too much or don't move, it'll look unnatural. Like in Max Payne 2, when you aim upwards, the upper arm close to the armpits shrink. In Riddick the same thing happens... his ass just dissapears :lol:

Deformation is of course more difficult to get right with low-poly/game models than with high-poly models (especially with weightmaps and stuff like that, that you have in 3D animation software... Half-life 2 DOES have weightmaps, although I'm not sure they are tied to animation or not.)

Incase anyone hasn't seen the secret picture... http://img9.echo.cx/my.php?image=awakelogo2ln.jpg

From what I hear, it was quickly put up on www.alanwake.com, then quickly taken down again.

Sounds like the plot to "In the Mouth of Madness". (Funny, I was sure that was called Into the Mind of Madness.)

OBSCVRVM PER OBSCVRIVS ET IGNOTVM PER IGNOTIVS

ingsoc.gif

OPVS ARTIFICEM PROBAT

Hehe, Remedy seem to have a thing for dreams and stuff. Sounds intruiging though... I really like In the mouth of madness. Well, 4 days left or so, eh?  :-

Sam Neil or John Carpenter?

Carpenter has some good stuff: I still like The Thing. >_<

*Snickers* I don't really understand your question... we get both of them in In the mouth of madness. The Thing is probably Carpenter's best, I believe.

I meant 4 days left until E3, or summin...

• 1 year later...

Alan Wake'll propably be one of my favorite games ever when it's finally released. Anything that's influenced by Twin Peaks must be awesome. :)

I'm reviving this topic because you might be interested in this:

Sort of like a year ago after E3, there's a (4-page) cover story on Alan Wake in the latest issue of the Finnish video game magazine Pelit that came out just a couple of days ago. Apparently they interviewed Remedy's top brass (Sam, Petri and some other guys) and made an article about the game. It's not really so much about Alan Wake's features as it is about Remedy's history, their development process and stuff like that and how it all ties in with the game. There's also a few ingame screenshots I don't recall seeing anywhere else and couldn't find on the web with a few minutes worth of searching. Too bad I really don't have a good way of scanning them. Lookin' good as always, though. Anyway, it was of course all in Finnish so I thought I'd kinda (amateur) translate and post it here.

Here goes:

BIRTH PROCESS OF ALAN WAKE - COVER STORY

On the edge of reason

There's something big cooking in Espoo. The maestros of slowmotion gunfights strive to become the masters of suspense with their next game.

The time for fugitive undercover cops is over for Remedy Entertainment. The new video game hero of game designer Petri J

How can it be a no ob build. It has PROVEN effective. I dare you to show your builds and I will tear you apart in an arugment about how these builds will won them.

- OverPowered Godzilla (OPG)

Remedy got the money for making Alan Wake from selling the rights to Max Payne to Take-Two Interactive in 2002. According to the press Remedy Entertainment profited over 10 million euros in cash ($12.7 million+) and nearly 30 million euros ($38 million) in Take-Two stock share.

Ah, so that's what happened to Max Payne.

The game concept for Alan Wake has been ambitious right from the get-go. Four distinct design goals were set to the game: 1) Alan Wake is a psychological action thriller. 2) Alan Wake introduces lighting as a new field in game mechanics. 3) Alan Wake has a cinematic story that takes place in a vast, open-ended environment. 4) Alan Wake is a game that has to earn 90+ scores.

Not sure about goal number three; I think it is quite common to use darkness as a mechanic in a game, even Tom Clancy games use shadow to allow the PC to hide.

Sepp

OBSCVRVM PER OBSCVRIVS ET IGNOTVM PER IGNOTIVS

ingsoc.gif

OPVS ARTIFICEM PROBAT

Interesting article, and game. I've read and watched stories with similar subjects, but have yet to experience one interactively in a computer game.

When they refer to darkness as a new vehicle, they might refer to something unique to Alan Wake, but I'm not certain. Zork (already noted) could basically end the game if you didn't have a light source, Ultima V got very claustrophobic at night if you didn't remember to bring torches, tougher creatures spawned at night in Baldur's Gate's outdoor maps, and so on. I believe the Thief games also relied on darkness as a cover for the main character.

Their Bioware comment does seem misplaced. Now I haven't played JE or KotoR (yet), but in none of the other CRPGs from Bioware have I noticed that the story advanced while I was 'wandering aimlessly' from town to town or within a map.

Anyway, it'll be interesting trying to illuminate an area when the protagonist is light-sensitive. This'll be an interesting game to play with the volume up and the lights low (or off).

Carpenter's best.

The scene in They Live where Roddy Piper grapples Keith David - bestially! - in the hood so as to calm him down, and spout knowledge of self and the world around - easily.

I know - almost 2 years; I just couldn't resist.

(I haven't read the article, but I back Darque 100%.)

Other interview, it's older and focus more on Remedy itself than Alan Wake, but there's stuff about the game too. I believe ( since it's from last summer) most finnish members have read it in Helsingin Sanomat (biggest daily newspaper in Finland) but here's short version of article. It was in 13. June Helsingin Sanomat. Anyway, someone had translated that too (not as well that ^ up there but fine enough IMO)

Phew! I saw through all the trouble and translated the article for you guys! It took about 3 hours or so but it was good practise since I'm going to travel to America this week. I'm in the 1st grade of highschool so don't mind my bad english... I think couple parts suck in my translation but I hope you enjoy  :

---------------------------

As the car curves to suburban of Espoo (a city next to Helsinki) a suspicion comes to my mind. The top entertaiment exports of finland aren't made in a basement of row house, are they? The car turns from a corner and a bluish building stands ahead. There are only two doorbells: Remedys and sauna sections. This is more like it...the scale seems to be correct.

The two Max Payne videogames made by Remedy Entertaiment have sold seven million copies. That's approximately as much as finnish bands HIM, Nightwish and The Rasmus have sold together. And one game costs as much as three CD's together.

Now Remedy is finishing their next project. The game's name is Alan Wake and it's published by Microsoft, the biggest programming company in the world. Alan Wake is one of the eight so called showcase games by Microsoft which Microsoft is going to market really greatly. It's an indication of the new superb Vista operating system. Truly an great achievement from a finnish company.

Creative leader Petri J

Edited by Xard

How can it be a no ob build. It has PROVEN effective. I dare you to show your builds and I will tear you apart in an arugment about how these builds will won them.

- OverPowered Godzilla (OPG)

• 2 years later...