G4 TV - KOTOR II vs LOTR

Guest MacleodCorp

Guest MacleodCorp

G4 TV - KOTOR II vs LOTR

On Demand had a new G4 review, which pitted KOTOR II verse Lord of the Rings. It would appear that more and more critics are starting to come to the darkside.

Their thinking on this was based upon:

1. KOTOR II is a repeated game engine, and they wanted to see some type of advancement.

2. LOTR: Battle for Middle Earth has a better design quality.

3. KOTOR II is clunky.

4. LOTR has a quick and easy interface.

5. LOTR characters, when they battle, have great animations.

6. KOTOR II the characters, when they battle, are very impressive, but nothing special.

7. LOTR music was much more impressive than KOTOR II's. I am unclear of thier details.

LOTR Recieved - 8/10 & 9/10

KOTOR II Recieved - 7/10 & 8/10

What was interesting is that they were one of the first critics to say: KOTOR II was a rehash of the original, and it fails because there was nothing new about the game.

----------------------------

I read ObsidianEnt's main page to this site, and there is a article that said, "The industry agrees with the fans!". I have to disagree! KOTOR II has some really nice elements, which does place it up with the best, but it fails for the following:

1. No technical advancements.

2. Repeated game elements from the original.

3. Music quality was far insupperior than the original.

4. No real story arch developments, which were intresting.

5. Game needs a real patch or expansion pack.

6. No real ending, and bad story telling.

It is a sussess for the following:

1. You get to build your lightsaber.

2. You get to build your weapons.

3. You get to build your armor.

4. You get to train an apprentice.

5. You get to travel to various planets.

6. You get force powers and forms.

7. You get to turn good or evil.

I have to agree with G4's perception on the planets though. It would appear that you travel to similar places in other games now, and it would have been nice to see some unknown planets in this game.

All and all I give KOTOR II: 6.5/10

why did they pit lotr against kotor 2? they belong to different incomparable genres of games.

Some marketing suit probably placed them both in the "successful blcokbuster movie tie-in" pile. Never mind that LotR:BfME is a RTS and KotOR2:TSL is a RPG. :thumbsup:

OBSCVRVM PER OBSCVRIVS ET IGNOTVM PER IGNOTIVS

ingsoc.gif

OPVS ARTIFICEM PROBAT

Third Age isn't an rpg, it's a western FF Tactics-game, without the tactics.

I'm full of hatred :p

kirottu said:
I was raised by polar bears. I had to fight against blood thirsty wolves and rabid penguins to get my food. Those who were too weak to survive were sent to Sweden.

It has made me the man I am today. A man who craves furry hentai.

So let us go and embrace the rustling smells of unseen worlds

final fantasy - a japanese rpg franchise.

i assumed it was the battle for middle earth cos the thread starter mentioned it!!

Oh Final Fantasy. That's really a Wizardry clone then. (I never finished FFXLVIX or whatever it was on my Playstation because it was just too silly. I deliberately uninstalled Wizardry 8 and burnt the discs after I had spent about a day on it: the combat was sooooooooo annoying. One group of nine enemies attacks your party of six. Each person gets an attack, which takes five seconds of flashing to conclude. Repeat for about fifty rounds per battle. Then take four steps and have a random encounter and repeat. Aaaarrrgggggghhhh! :angry: )

OBSCVRVM PER OBSCVRIVS ET IGNOTVM PER IGNOTIVS

ingsoc.gif

OPVS ARTIFICEM PROBAT

On Demand had a new G4 review, which pitted KOTOR II verse Lord of the Rings. It would appear that more and more critics are starting to come to the darkside.

Initially, it seemed some reviewers listen to the hype and wrote rave reviews without playing the game to the end or using their own judgement.

Is it possible that now, some reviewers are listening to the sometimes hyperbolic hostile fan reaction and writing overly negative reviews without playing the game objectively or using their own judgement.

Too cynical? Well, maybe. Some of the criticisms listed above are fair and were overlooked by the first reviews. But others are spurious, aren't they? There were technical advances, such as shorter loading times, but they weren't showy advances. And they don't seem to give credit for strong dialogue, characters, interesting philosophical ideas.

"An electric puddle is not what I need right now." (Nina Kalenkov)

Guest MacleodCorp

Initially, it seemed some reviewers listen to the hype and wrote rave reviews without playing the game to the end or using their own judgement.

Is it possible that now, some reviewers are listening to the sometimes hyperbolic hostile fan reaction and writing overly negative reviews without playing the game objectively or using their own judgement.

Too cynical? Well, maybe. Some of the criticisms listed above are fair and were overlooked by the first reviews. But others are spurious, aren't they? There were technical advances, such as shorter loading times, but they weren't showy advances. And they don't seem to give credit for strong dialogue, characters, interesting philosophical ideas.

Intresting is it!? The dialogue was weak, philosophical garbage ideas, and weak character development.

However, I did like parts of the game, which I stated in my first post!

final fantasy - a japanese rpg franchise.

i assumed it was the battle for middle earth cos the thread starter mentioned it!!

Oh Final Fantasy. That's really a Wizzardry clone then. (I never finished FFXLVIX or whatever it was on my Playstation because it was just too silly. I deliberately uninstalled Wizardry 8 and burnt the discs after I had spent about a day on it: the combat was sooooooooo annoying. One group of nine enemies attacks your party of six. Each person gets an attack, which takes five seconds of flashing to conclude. Repeat for about fifty rounds per battle. Then take four steps and have a random encounter and repeat. Aaaarrrgggggghhhh! :angry: )

Don't diss Final Fantasy, especially Final Fantasy 7 as it was once 1 of the greatest RPG's of its time, especially the story and the part where Aeris was killed by Sephrioth (or watever his name was) was, and many people see it as, a defining moment in game-story history.

Not to derail the thread further, but I have to agree on the Wizardry thing. What a complete pain. The random encounters are just ridiculous in Wizardry 8. I thought the turn-based combat was fun, and I certainly didn't mind facing a group of nine monsters... the first hundred times, but there was no feeling that the party was actually making headway in the world. I mean, why worry about invaders from outerspace when the native monsters spawn faster than the average insect? The world was going to be overrun by random monsters anyway. A logical twist would be to have the bad guys join forces with my party for their very survival!

...And it wasn't that the battles were tough. Indeed, it was a tough game, but I was working through the quests. No, it was having to fight for every stinking inch one way only to discover that I had to fight for every stinking inch going back. Don't think there wasn't a lot of walking, either, which doesn't bother me as long as I don't have to face the onset of old age before I can make it twelve feet across the damned map. Wizardry 8 had so many good ideas. Too bad it sucked.

Fionavar's Holliday Wishes to all members of our online community:  Happy Holidays

Join the revelry at the Obsidian Plays channel:
Obsidian Plays

Remembering tarna, Phosphor, Metadigital, and Visceris.  Drink mead heartily in the halls of Valhalla, my friends!

Guest MacleodCorp

Another Review by X-Play on G4 Aired on Thursday, May 12, 2005

Another review on G4 Tv, but on X-Play was covering the ending for KOTOR I, and they quickly gave their thoughts about KOTOR II.

1. Story Plots were cut short.

2. Hollow Storyplots.

3. KOTOR I's endings were way better than KOTOR II's cut short ending.

Another bad review by a critic who is now sidding with the players.

Thats 2 negative reviews by G4 tv for KOTOR II!

So, if the players are complaining and now critics are waking up, where the hell did they get a 9.0 rating when everyone is giving it a 6.5 out of 10!?

Will you shut up? Exceptions don't really prove anything.

kirottu said:
I was raised by polar bears. I had to fight against blood thirsty wolves and rabid penguins to get my food. Those who were too weak to survive were sent to Sweden.

Who is G4? ...And if a sizable and vocal group railing against a game signals that it lacks quality, then NWN must be terrible. The folks camplaining about KotOR 2 just don't have the same bloodlust that folks did over NWN.

Fionavar's Holliday Wishes to all members of our online community:  Happy Holidays

Obsidian Plays

Remembering tarna, Phosphor, Metadigital, and Visceris.  Drink mead heartily in the halls of Valhalla, my friends!

Guest MacleodCorp

G4 is a cable network, which reviews games. They are seen all over the East and West coast in the US, and most of their reviews from people who are not bought by the game industry. Reviews by players for players! Not reviews bought by the companies who have games reviewed by the positive critics you keep hearing about. Usually, the critics that are posted on the main page of a game companies site, like Obsidian, are critics who sell their oppinions, so the game gets positive reviews despite the players. Thus, they try to hype the game for people to continue to purchase the product. G4tv is a network that can't be bought by people like Obsidian, so their reviews are not advertised on a companies website who is trying to sell their product.

G4tv is a hundred percent on the gammer's side!!

Oh sure..on the side of the people who hated K2...

They consider that the majority so they make the reviews so not to loose their audiance .

And please TV has even more reasons to go with the so-called general opinion :thumbsup:

And As I said:

Screw the Critics!

If I ever make quote sig; that one goes there.

kirottu said:

Another Review by X-Play on G4 Aired on Thursday, May 12, 2005

Another review on G4 Tv, but on X-Play was covering the ending for KOTOR I, and they quickly gave their thoughts about KOTOR II.

1. Story Plots were cut short.

2. Hollow Storyplots.

3. KOTOR I's endings were way better than KOTOR II's cut short ending.

Another bad review by a critic who is now sidding with the players.

Thats 2 negative reviews by G4 tv for KOTOR II!

So, if the players are complaining and now critics are waking up, where the hell did they get a 9.0 rating when everyone is giving it a 6.5 out of 10!?

Points 1 and 3 were correct. Which is pretty sad because KotOR I's ending sucked. And the average reader rating on IGN is 8.7, The average reader review on Gamespot is 9.2 for Xbox, and 9.1 for PC, average reader ranking on Gamerankings is 8.1. So not everyone is giving it 6.5 out of 10. I personally would give it an 8.5. 9.5 if the cut content was replaced and the major bugs were fixed.

The area between the balls and the butt is a hotbed of terrorist activity.

Devastatorsig.jpg

G4 is a cable network, which reviews games. They are seen all over the East and West coast in the US, and most of their reviews from people who are not bought by the game industry. Reviews by players for players! Not reviews bought by the companies who have games reviewed by the positive critics you keep hearing about. Usually, the critics that are posted on the main page of a game companies site, like Obsidian, are critics who sell their oppinions, so the game gets positive reviews despite the players. Thus, they try to hype the game for people to continue to purchase the product. G4tv is a network that can't be bought by people like Obsidian, so their reviews are not advertised on a companies website who is trying to sell their product.

G4tv is a hundred percent on the gammer's side!!

I haven't even heard of this company... and I'm considered a hard core gamer judging by the number of titles I purchase in a year. (Note: 15-20 titles in a year counts, from what I've told.) Now, I'm not saying that G4 doesn't have some impact, but I doubt that it has greater impact than the so called "bought" critics. Furthermore, I doubt they have any more legitimate feedback than the player rankings on any number of webpages. Moreover, while some good games don't fare well and some terrible games are blockbusters, generally good games sell well and bad games don't. For all of these reasons, I don't know why I should substitute G4's judgement for my own, especially after playing the game? Why should I give more weight to G4's opinion than any of the other factors under consideration?

I can understand why the game disappointed some folks. There are aspects of the game that were disappointing to me. ...But it passed the fun factor, and that's what I try to find in my entertainment. In fact, I don't doubt that I would buy KotOR 3, should Obsidian (or Bioware) deicide to develop it.

Obsidian Plays

I feel like I'm brown-nosing here, but...

WORD.

kirottu said:

Guest MacleodCorp

I liked the game also, but I am just making people aware that not all the critics are giving the game a positive review. There are things that I don't like, but I do enjoy playing the game!