Why are we here

Cantousent

I've often wondered why I come to message boards. First of all, I only go to one message board at a time. Sometimes I visit a few but I only actually "camp out" at one board at a time.

In the past I've talked or argued about games. I was interested in design and development. For the past few months, however, I have had no time for message boards at all. When I had a little time on my hands, I decided to click on that little tab in my favorites: Obsidian Forum Community.

I'm shocked to say that I haven't really paid much attention to games, though, and none at all to Obsidian games. Oh, I thoroughly enjoyed KoTOR2 and I plan on playing NWN2 just as soon as I can. ...But still, the first place I visit these days is Way Off Topic board. Why?

Well, this is my reason. Message boards give us the best opportunity to interact with the broadest spectrum of folks possible in a safe environment. There are people on these boards from all parts of the world. Sure, we probably have a lot in common, such as language (at least here on this message board) and interests (at least in computer games), but there is still a wide variety of viewpoints ranging on topics from religion, to politics, to music, to theater and beyond. The forum is truly international.

Metadigital wrote, "My self-determined purpose is the pursuit of knowledge." I dont' think that the purpose of coming to the forums is to gain knowledge, but you do get a rapidfire dose of opinions, perspectives, and sometimes even facts. Message boards are quite good at sharpening rhetoric, forcing members to adapt to new arguments.

So, in a nutshell, I enjoy the interaction with folks I would otherwise never know. Why do you guys come here?

Fionavar's Holliday Wishes to all members of our online community:  Happy Holidays

Join the revelry at the Obsidian Plays channel:
Obsidian Plays

Remembering tarna, Phosphor, Metadigital, and Visceris.  Drink mead heartily in the halls of Valhalla, my friends!

Everybody comes here for happiness  :thumbsup:

As I've said before, my pursuit of knowledge gives me happiness.

I come here to conduct conversations, and (if I'm being honest) I do enjoy show off what I know. I have found that the act of passing on information to other people helps me to cement the memories in my mind better, so it is a Win-Win prospect.

I like internet discussion fora because they are an idealised world where we are all on the merits of our posts, so it is a very humbling meritocracy. You point of view is not enhanced by having a more expensive computer, or a faster internet connection (but on this board, at least, the quantity of posts somehow adds credence to the alleged quality, via the silly "Level" indicator next to the total posts accumulation).

OBSCVRVM PER OBSCVRIVS ET IGNOTVM PER IGNOTIVS

ingsoc.gif

OPVS ARTIFICEM PROBAT

I come here mostly due to nostalgia. The old BIS boards were the first board I posted on regularly, then I moved over to the interplay boards, and then over here. It was odd that I never really got into Mistress' Lair, since thats where all the community members went after interplay shut down the community boards and thats where I spent most of my time. Theres just a lot of regulars that I'd miss if I left these boards, even though I don't often interract with them specifically.

The area between the balls and the butt is a hotbed of terrorist activity.

Devastatorsig.jpg

Well, this is my reason.  Message boards give us the best opportunity to insult the broadest spectrum of folks possible in a safe environment.  There are people on these boards from all parts of the world... 

Verily that is modern art! :thumbsup:

really? i pay no attention to the level - of anyone. some ppl have high levels and yet they "chat 5h1t" and i'm not even thinking of baley.

Well, contributions to the Way Off-Topic forum don't count anyway: also I think Baley (mostly) has valuable input. (but don't tell Sir Spam-a-lot I said that. :D )

This is a safe environment where even the most vulnerable may have their say. The rules are fair and binding. That is quite a comfort to a lot of people in this world, where their daily lives are far from fair, and they have little or no impact on their lives and have no say.

OBSCVRVM PER OBSCVRIVS ET IGNOTVM PER IGNOTIVS

ingsoc.gif

OPVS ARTIFICEM PROBAT

Well, this is my reason.  Message boards give us the best opportunity to insult the broadest spectrum of folks possible in a safe environment.  There are people on these boards from all parts of the world... 

I guffawed at this one.

Fionavar's Holliday Wishes to all members of our online community:  Happy Holidays

Obsidian Plays

Remembering tarna, Phosphor, Metadigital, and Visceris.  Drink mead heartily in the halls of Valhalla, my friends!

I come here because I've become accustomed to the e-company of the people I've gotten to know over the years.

"Of course the people don't want war. But after all, it's the leaders of the country who determine the policy, and it's always a simple matter to drag the people along whether it's a democracy, a fascist dictatorship, or a parliament, or a communist dictatorship. Voice or no voice, the people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders. That is easy. All you have to do is tell them they are being attacked, and denounce the pacifists for lack of patriotism, and exposing the country to greater danger."

- Herman Goering at the Nuremberg trials

"I have also been slowly coming to the realisation that knowledge and happiness are not necessarily coincident, and quite often mutually exclusive" - meta

Everyone knows I come here for the sole purpose of unveiling the true secrets of existence to all of you, poor, benighted souls.

and to do a little trolling, too

- When he is best, he is a little worse than a man, and when he is worst, he is little better than a beast.

I come here to see my incredibly insightful post steamrolled by spam.

Also I like to talk about sharks.

And for some reason you guys just make me feel better about myself.

And most people here seem to know how ninjas are totally sweet.

People laugh when I say that I think a jellyfish is one of the most beautiful things in the world. What they don't understand is, I mean a jellyfish with long, blond hair.

Trolling is fun, but I know that's not why you come here.

We're all just a bunch of message board cowboys. We come here, get drunk, and shoot up the place. The reason I come here is simple: I've been working on my trick shots.

Obsidian Plays

None of my friends are regular game players, we talk about everything else but games.  :blink:

Pretty much my reason as well.

So, fora provides an opportunity to discuss games with folks who know and care about the subject? Still, you're here in Way Off Topic. Is this kind of a place to go inbetween talking about games? I ask because I used to hate Off Topic but it seemed to grow on me after a while.

Obsidian Plays

This place has stuck on me.

First it was because of NWN 2 and future games, but afterwards I've found some of the board regulars interesting, and generally want to see what their input is on certain subjects. I'd rather have some hard info of New Jersey to discuss, but as that's not possible right now, I've ended up inhabiting Computer/Console and this rather trippy wilderness called WOT.

It's great here.

kirottu said:
I was raised by polar bears. I had to fight against blood thirsty wolves and rabid penguins to get my food. Those who were too weak to survive were sent to Sweden.

It has made me the man I am today. A man who craves furry hentai.

So let us go and embrace the rustling smells of unseen worlds

Passess the time. It's better than listing off sequencers, memorizing hypserspace routes, or counting ticks in the power couplings.

(you know someone had to say it...)

If you want a serious answer....I can't give one more serious than Atton's line.

It's just...whittling away the hours when one can't sleep and one doesn't feel like doing anything else.

EDIT - I did go through a phase a decade ago where i liked debating and talking of issues etc - but these days...no...I like the lighter side of message boards, not the serious one. :blink:

“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts