ati-problem .... alas

hi guys

i recently got kotor 2 after playing the first one in order to play while i d stay in bed cause of a back surgery(no big deal , just a little painfull and very very uncomfortable)

i have an acer notebook with an intel centrino 1.5 ghz , 512 mb ddr sdram and an ati mobility radeon 9700 3d graphic card with 64mb ram

the first game was running smooyhly but for the in-game movie sequences which took a couple of minutes to load...

so i installed te game , generated a character saw the star wars introl with the text n the space font and that was all. afte that i ve a black screen with a soft music , i suspect that the game is running but i cant see it.

i have patced the game and installed laest drivers and not only it wasnt fixed but the kotor 1 , which i hadnt finished doesnt run properly anymore

any ideas???

I have anti card too and have the same problem, I had to dl the upgraded catalyst driver for it to work. I have a desktop though, not a notebook.....still might want to check for updates, though.

The two games share the same graphic engine, totally unmodified. So if you computer was able to run KotOR I, it'll be able to run the Sith Lords. You should try to get the lastest version of the drivers. It is said that Ati will release drivers for notebooks in their next version.

The two games share the same graphic engine, totally unmodified. So if you computer was able to run KotOR I, it'll be able to run the Sith Lords. You should try to get the lastest version of the drivers. It is said that Ati will release drivers for notebooks in their next version.

Wow, aren't you listening.

TSL has higher requirements.

That's not right. TSL definetely works on a mobility radeon 9700. The only thing you have to do is downloading the newest Catalyst drivers and modifying them with the DHModTool, so that they can be installed on a laptop.

Don't tell me something about OpenGL 1.4. TSL is running on my system and I have a mobility radeon 9700, too.

woow thats good news...

dhmodtool??

where can i find that

i found the driver that obsidian says that i need (for windows xp) to run TSL, but in the ati website and not in acer . tey are still a version back so i guess i have to modify myself as you say (though i dont know how )

have a look here.

i hope thats the right one.

http://www.driverheaven.net/patje/

Hey, Commondore -- great link!

I played K2 with my ATI Mobility Fire GL T2 128MB VRAM, but I had the same problem as outlined in the topic. The game works fine with the movies off (there is a movie played just after character creation). I have been able to play the movies in batch, as well, though after a couple there is the ubiquitous memory overflow error (yeah, must be difficult to manage the 1GB RAM with the 128MB VRAM :)" ).

Great Avatar, too.

OBSCVRVM PER OBSCVRIVS ET IGNOTVM PER IGNOTIVS

ingsoc.gif

OPVS ARTIFICEM PROBAT

Yes, that's the right tool. The only thing you have to do to get the Catalyst drivers working is unpacking them, copying the dhmodtool.exe into the folder in which the drivers were unpacked, starting the dhmodtool and selecting your graphic card. Then you can start the setup.exe and everything works fine.

Wow, aren't you listening.

TSL has higher requirements.

If the developpers has not modified the engine, which seems to be the case, I can't see how the game could require the support of an higher version of OpenGL. By the way, the games games were supposed to run on the XBox, so they couldn't really modify the engine; it was enough sluggish in the first KotOR on XBox.

Errr, the developer has actually modified the engine as was stated on numerous occasions by Akari. The most obvious change was done to the weather as the engine now supports rain but I am sure Akari mentioned more modifications.

u guys wont believe the answer they gave me at acer support...................

they said that acer notebooks are designed for work and not games and that there will be problems if i try to run any games with higher requirements( higher than microsoft word???) , when all i asked was when would the next version of the driver would be out since they were only one version behind , i think

i really dont think they have the right to respond in such a way , especially since my system has the ability to run what i asked for . they could at least say they cant help me or something.

i wont let this pass easily

maybe i ll mail maddox.....

useing moded ATI's 5.4 cats.

which ones exactly?

because I'm not really happy with the perfomance on my A64 3000+ (overclocked, too), X850XT, 1Gb RAM and catalyst 5.4

And setting the detail to minimum (at 1280x960) doesn't help much, the

FPS is still below 25 in alot of areas :(

Can't count on a game patch with engine optimizations being released anytime soon,

but maybe there're better drivers out already :)

useing moded ATI's 5.4 cats.

which ones exactly?

because I'm not really happy with the perfomance on my A64 3000+ (overclocked, too), X850XT, 1Gb RAM and catalyst 5.4

And setting the detail to minimum (at 1280x960) doesn't help much, the

FPS is still below 25 in alot of areas :rolleyes:

Can't count on a game patch with engine optimizations being released anytime soon,

but maybe there're better drivers out already :rolleyes:

sry i modded them for my laptop with the mobilty tool program.

Maybe someone around here can help me too. I want to play this game so much!

I have a laptop too, a mere celeron one would say but I run a lot of games on it with no problems at all.

KOTOR 1 worked just fine, though I had to disable the movies.

KOTOR 2, on the other hand crashes instantly after charcter creation .

Now, I know this is an ATI thread, but my HP laptop uses the Intel 82852/82855 GM/GME chipset. A lot of people say it's crap, but that's the computer for good or for worse. I was told before that it couldn't even run the previous game, but after updating drivers and disabling movies everything was fine...

Can someone help me ? please?

Thanks ahead , Decameron.