Should People With Disabilites Be Forced To Work?

Hello

Australia had their govenment budget for 2005/2006 on May 10th 2005 but the budget was horrible to people with disabilties,the govenment is going to take the pension off the disabled and make them work,if they don't they will be severly punished.

take a person in a wheel chair.if this disabled person applies for disabilty support pension after 1 July 2006 he/she will be shifted to a lower paid govenment payment and then they will be required to work for the dole (slave labour) or take part in a program,now if this disabled person doesn't do whats required they will be punished for not meeting the requirements.

Should People With Disabilites Be Forced To Work?

Depends on the degree of disability and whether they can be an efficient worker.

A disabled person should not be forced to work in the same way an employer should not be forced to take on disabled person to satisfy equal opportunities only.

If what you say is accurate the ozzie govt sound like a bunch of ****.

Depends on the degree of disability and whether they can be an efficient worker.

Yep. For some reason I have trouble picturing a quadriplegic being forced to work.

- When he is best, he is a little worse than a man, and when he is worst, he is little better than a beast.

As an addendum to what i said earlier the chnages may have been made to root out fraudulent claimants and possibly redefine who can claim.

Here in the UK at least there is talk of cutting the amount of ppl getting disability allowance and i agree with it somewhat since i know for a fact that not all people claiming it are deserving of it.

Given that most 1st world countries have unemployment rates from 5-10% Its nothing short of completely daft.

Well, apart from being cruel and unnescessary. "Oh, those bloody leeching disabled people. They do nothing but go around in their fancy little electrical weelchairs and watch daytime tv. Let the little bastards work for it, I say!"

DISCLAIMER: Do not take what I write seriously unless it is clearly and in no uncertain terms, declared by me to be meant in a serious and non-humoristic manner. If there is no clear indication, asume the post is written in jest. This notification is meant very seriously and its purpouse is to avoid misunderstandings and the consequences thereof. Furthermore; I can not be held accountable for anything I write on these forums since the idea of taking serious responsability for my unserious actions, is an oxymoron in itself.

Important: as the following sentence contains many naughty words I warn you not to read it under any circumstances; botty, knickers, wee, erogenous zone, psychiatrist, clitoris, stockings, bosom, poetry reading, dentist, fellatio and the department of agriculture.

"I suppose outright stupidity and complete lack of taste could also be considered points of view. "

I'm from Australia originally, and while I don't have much time for the current federal government, I would be happy to support the idea of requiring disabled people capable of productive work to at least look for some...I mean if you're confined to a wheelchair with full use of your upper limbs there's nothing to stop you sitting in front of a computer, for example, and working at least part-time.

It's not like the government hasn't been putting the squeeze on the unemployed through work for the dole schemes and single mothers already. This is just a logical extension of their previous policies.

I don't think disabled folks should be on the dole in the first place unless their disabilities are truly debilitating. Instead, workplaces should be expected, within reason, to accomodate people with disabilities.

Now, if the Australian government is forcing some poor fellow to push a button with a straw clenched between his teeth in order to have food and shelter, then they've gone too far. If, on the other hand, they simply expect folks with disablities to take advantage of the accomodations the state mandates workplaces provide for folks with disabilities, then I don't see the uproar.

As it is, you've made a statement that lacks clarity. What are the specifics, because I have serious doubts the government suddenly decided to start putting disabled folks into chain gangs.

Fionavar's Holliday Wishes to all members of our online community:  Happy Holidays

Join the revelry at the Obsidian Plays channel:
Obsidian Plays

Remembering tarna, Phosphor, Metadigital, and Visceris.  Drink mead heartily in the halls of Valhalla, my friends!

its completely relative....if someone is missing an arm or a leg then they are atleast suitable to do office work and not manual labour....but if they are in a wheelchair with a speech impediment and two missing arms then no they shouldnt be forced to work.

if by punishment you mean a sharp snip in their income then yes its acceptable but only if perfectly healthy peoples are recieving the same treatment so as to preserve equality.

Cheerio.

As long as there's some thought put in to what kind of disabilities the person has and therefore what he/she can is able to do for work; I'm perfectly ok with "forcing".

Kinda bad word, dat.

kirottu said:
I was raised by polar bears. I had to fight against blood thirsty wolves and rabid penguins to get my food. Those who were too weak to survive were sent to Sweden.

It has made me the man I am today. A man who craves furry hentai.

So let us go and embrace the rustling smells of unseen worlds

I don't know why they shouldn't, they make that Stephen Hawkins work and he does pretty well.

People laugh when I say that I think a jellyfish is one of the most beautiful things in the world. What they don't understand is, I mean a jellyfish with long, blond hair.

"if someone is missing an arm or a leg then they are atleast suitable to do office work and not manual labour"

Eh. Going by the employer's point of view; someone missing an arm or a leg will likely be less efficeint than someone who has all body aprts espicially time wise. Of course, I am sure there are exceptions to this rule..

DWARVES IN PROJECT ETERNITY = VOLOURN HAS PLEDGED $250.

I don't think disabled folks should be on the dole in the first place unless their disabilities are truly debilitating.  Instead, workplaces should be expected, within reason, to accomodate people with disabilities.

Now, if the Australian government is forcing some poor fellow to push a button with a straw clenched between his teeth in order to have food and shelter, then they've gone too far.  If, on the other hand, they simply expect folks with disablities to take advantage of the accomodations the state mandates workplaces provide for folks with disabilities, then I don't see the uproar.

As it is, you've made a statement that lacks clarity.  What are the specifics, because I have serious doubts the government suddenly decided to start putting disabled folks into chain gangs.

I think disabled people should be given preference for any work they want to perform. Positive discrimination. Not preference w.r.t. qualifications -- that would be unsustainable and ludicrous -- preference in that, all other things being equal and two candidates are identically qualified, the person with a disability should be given the job. Most people with diabilities don't want to be idle: on average they are more determined and hard working than the rest of us able bodied people.

"if someone is missing an arm or a leg then they are atleast suitable to do office work and not manual labour"

Eh. Going by the employer's point of view; someone missing an arm or a leg will likely be less efficeint than someone who has all body aprts espicially time wise. Of course, I am sure there are exceptions to this rule..

If they are restricted to a wheelchair then they aren't going to gain access to any nightclubs, so they would in fact be more productive than 85% of the workforce as they wouldn't take sickies for hangovers. :thumbsup:"

OBSCVRVM PER OBSCVRIVS ET IGNOTVM PER IGNOTIVS

ingsoc.gif

OPVS ARTIFICEM PROBAT

I believe there is more going on here than what is being presented to the public eye.

Of course I am totally guessing, but I believe the Australian Government is trying to crack down on those who are faking disabilities and collecting money.

Basically people like that are flakes and they expect something for nothing and they contribute absolutely nothing to society.

They are merely lazy bast*ards / leeches getting fat off of other peoples hard work.

I’ve know quite a few disabled people and they work 10 times harder than

someone non-disabled.

I personally believe the news person who presented that view is nothing more than a bleeding heart / cry sack, who has manipulated their position to present a false view.

I’m not coming down on you Bastilla_Skywalker, but I seriously doubt the Australian Government would ever pass such a one sided bias law.

That news caster has seriously misrepresented their position.

Take Care

Tsel :wub:

"If they are restricted to a wheelchair then they aren't going to gain access to any nightclubs, so they would in fact be more productive than 85% of the workforce as they wouldn't take sickies for hangovers. "

LOL

"think disabled people should be given preference for any work they want to perform. Positive discrimination."

As far as I'm concerned, outside of hiring the most qualified, there is no such thing as positive descrimination. Period. If a cripple wants to get a job they should have to prove that theya re the most qualified and most worthy amongst all the candidates.

DWARVES IN PROJECT ETERNITY = VOLOURN HAS PLEDGED $250.

"If they are restricted to a wheelchair then they aren't going to gain access to any nightclubs, so they would in fact be more productive than 85% of the workforce as they wouldn't take sickies for hangovers. "

LOL

:cool:

"think disabled people should be given preference for any work they want to perform. Positive discrimination."

As far as I'm concerned, outside of hiring the most qualified, there is no such thing as positive descrimination. Period. If a cripple wants to get a job they should have to prove that theya re the most qualified and most worthy amongst all the candidates.

Well I think a disabled person will never get a job in that case, because it will always be more difficult for an employer to employ someone who doesn't fit the average: they will have to spend extra money on the workplace to make it friendlier. And I did say alll other things being equal. (Even good intentions and mandatory legislation backed up with potentially large fines haven't forced 90% of retailers in the UK to even give their premises wheelchair access.)

Tsel, I think you are correct. The conservative government in Australia is cutting waste, not immitating Nazis. The only thing worse than mistreating a disabled person is an able-bodied person pretending to be disabled to escape contributing their share to society.

ingsoc.gif

OPVS ARTIFICEM PROBAT

They should be forced to work as much as any other person, just as much as businesses should be forced to hire them and make modifications to their facilities so they can work comfortably. Its a double edged sword.

Also those who are disabled should be trained in a field that would work best for their disabilities allow, at the cost of the government. Such as it makes no sense to have one stuck in a wheelchair trying to flip burgers when it would be easier to train and build failities for the person to be a secretary or as a emergency dispatcher.

A friend of mind, lets call him Blind Jew for that is what he is, is legally blind and looking for work. He is currently unemployed and gets a stipend from the government. Could he sit back and let easy money come in? Yep. Does he want to? Nope. He has some bad luck trying to find a job here in Iowa.

Harvey

... easier to train and build failities for the person to be a secretary or as a emergency dispatcher.

Are you suggesting that a disabled person would be a good emergency dispatcher? Is that someone sight-impaired (the guide dog steering the motorcycle) or someone in a souped-up wheelchair? :)"

A friend of mind, lets call him Blind Jew for that is what he is, is legally blind and looking for work.  He is currently unemployed and gets a stipend from the government.  Could he sit back and let easy money come in?  Yep.  Does he want to?  Nope.  He has some bad luck trying to find a job here in Iowa.

No sane person with a disability wants to be a charity case. The irony is, until one loses their health / welbeing, they has no idea how important it truly is, nor how strong their character is in extremis.

The old saying of "If you want something done, give it to a busy person" is just as true for the disabled: if you want something difficult done, give it to someone who overcomes difficulties as part of their normal daily activities. :blink:

ingsoc.gif

OPVS ARTIFICEM PROBAT

The old saying of "If you want something done, give it to a busy person" is just as true for the disabled: if you want something difficult done, give it to someone who overcomes difficulties as part of their normal daily activities. :blink:

Well said metadigital. :-

Tsel :)

I am not saying one disabled person is capable more than another disabled person, but each one should be given the chance to do the best work they can do within the limits of their abilities, whatever those limits may be.

I mean, you would give a blind person a bus driving job, though some of the bus drivers here in Ames make me wonder.

Harvey

I am not saying one disabled person is capable more than another disabled person, but each one should be given the chance to do the best work they can do within the limits of their abilities, whatever those limits may be. 

I mean, you would give a blind person a bus driving job, though some of the bus drivers here in Ames make me wonder.

I thought all the sight-impaired people were given priority to be umpires ... :thumbsup:"

ingsoc.gif

OPVS ARTIFICEM PROBAT