Bad, bad Norwegians

metadigital

Just watched a news item about the naughty Norwegians who want to end the Whaling moratorium and expand hunting up to 1800 Minke whales this year. This is in addition to Iceland (?) and Japan.

They caught a 4 tonne female and threw the blubber overboard (the gulls had a feeding frenzy -- not even using the blubber for rare perfumes,

OBSCVRVM PER OBSCVRIVS ET IGNOTVM PER IGNOTIVS

ingsoc.gif

OPVS ARTIFICEM PROBAT

Aren't you from that country where you hunt foxes for fun?

Nope.

You're thinking JOLLY OLD ENGLAND.

This country is currently in civil war because of this. (I may be exaggerating a little).

I am currently residing in the United Kingdom of England, Wales, Scotland and Northern Island, and yes, until recently there was a legal right to hunt vermin with packs of slavering dogs and people in red coats.

This is irrelevant to the topic, however. I was asking whether whales were granted some sort of special animal rights, because they might be considered less like "dumb animals" -- hence my corollary about the apes in Africa.

Are you suggesting that "meat is murder"? (Are you a Morrissey fan? :cool: )

ingsoc.gif

OPVS ARTIFICEM PROBAT

Animal 'rights' is a difficult issue. I think gorillas and other primates deserve special protection because they are closely related to us - that is, if you accept evolution, of course.

Whales are protected in order to avoid them dying out completely. If they were numerous, I don't think you could argue that they should be protected while other animals were hunted or farmed for food. Most (all?) whale species are endangered - that's why there's a hunting ban. Loss of an entire species is a disaster of an entirely different scale than simply hunting and killing, just as genocide is in a different league than murder. If overhunting wipes out the whales, that's a crime against all of us, not just a violation of animal rights.

"An electric puddle is not what I need right now." (Nina Kalenkov)

I dont understand the fuss over fox hunting, a lot of time and effort (and therefore money) went into pointless legislation. I wish people would campaign that fervently to get better healthcare and transport.

and for all those who want to hunt whales, havent you seen Star Trek IV??!?

I dont understand the fuss over fox hunting, a lot of time and effort (and therefore money) went into pointless legislation. I wish people would campaign that fervently to get better healthcare and transport.

It was a reward for Labour MPs. They had to put up with Blair supporting Bush's invasion of Iraq, so in return they were given a fox-hunting ban which upset the upper-class twits in the countryside. Who said the class war was dead?

"An electric puddle is not what I need right now." (Nina Kalenkov)

It was a reward for Labour MPs.  They had to put up with Blair supporting Bush's invasion of Iraq, so in return they were given a fox-hunting ban which upset the upper-class twits in the countryside.  Who said the class war was dead?

It was pure class warfare, nothing else. All pretence at animal welfare was beneath contempt and credulity. The present government is changing the fabric of the parliaments and the legislature into unpredictable (and unplanned) territory. I fear they are acting on a plan that has as much forethought as their post-invasion of Iraq. And here comes the depression ...

ingsoc.gif

OPVS ARTIFICEM PROBAT

Just watched a news item about the naughty Norwegians who want to end the Whaling moratorium and expand hunting up to 1800 Minke whales this year. This is in addition to Iceland (?) and Japan.

They caught a 4 tonne female and threw the blubber overboard (the gulls had a feeding frenzy -- not even using the blubber for rare perfumes,

manthing2.jpg

But whales are cuteness. :rolleyes:

Denmark outta reclaim Norway and spank their naughty bottoms.

DENMARK!

It appears that I have not yet found a sig to replace the one about me not being banned... interesting.

I think people who hunt whales should be shot on sight :blink:

Even indians?

The Makah indian tribe in my state has return to whale hunting. They still do the traditional way.

Here is the tribe bringing in the carcas:

000802ea.jpg

makah.jpg

The Hunt:

makah1.jpg

I think a good principle is:

Dont eat anything thats smarter than you are.

DISCLAIMER: Do not take what I write seriously unless it is clearly and in no uncertain terms, declared by me to be meant in a serious and non-humoristic manner. If there is no clear indication, asume the post is written in jest. This notification is meant very seriously and its purpouse is to avoid misunderstandings and the consequences thereof. Furthermore; I can not be held accountable for anything I write on these forums since the idea of taking serious responsability for my unserious actions, is an oxymoron in itself.

Important: as the following sentence contains many naughty words I warn you not to read it under any circumstances; botty, knickers, wee, erogenous zone, psychiatrist, clitoris, stockings, bosom, poetry reading, dentist, fellatio and the department of agriculture.

"I suppose outright stupidity and complete lack of taste could also be considered points of view. "

I think with whales a nation should be allowed to hunt and kill them if they're willing to give up equal weight in flesh in return.

People laugh when I say that I think a jellyfish is one of the most beautiful things in the world. What they don't understand is, I mean a jellyfish with long, blond hair.

I just wonder if the Whale Gods of Vengence are going to come hunting us ...

I saw a National Geographic documentary reconstruction of some murdered porpoises. They did some extensive forensics and matched with some existing film (co-incidence) and discovered that there were some larger dolphins, who share the habitat, had killed the smaller porpoises. They then decided that the best explanation for the seemingly random killings of the four foot long smaller cousins was because they matched the size of some predatory fish that attacked the larger dolphins young.

Further, the evidence suggested that these larger dolphins were simply picking the smaller dolphins for target practice, and killing them in a brutally painful way. (The teeth marks from the larger dolphins showed that the smaller dolphins were grabbed around the head and their tissues literally shaken off their spines.)

They left the audience to make their own conclusions.

So bullying and murder are not just a human social disease.

ingsoc.gif

OPVS ARTIFICEM PROBAT

I think we should eat more sharks. They're scary and mean and they taste really good. I ate fil

DISCLAIMER: Do not take what I write seriously unless it is clearly and in no uncertain terms, declared by me to be meant in a serious and non-humoristic manner. If there is no clear indication, asume the post is written in jest. This notification is meant very seriously and its purpouse is to avoid misunderstandings and the consequences thereof. Furthermore; I can not be held accountable for anything I write on these forums since the idea of taking serious responsability for my unserious actions, is an oxymoron in itself.

Important: as the following sentence contains many naughty words I warn you not to read it under any circumstances; botty, knickers, wee, erogenous zone, psychiatrist, clitoris, stockings, bosom, poetry reading, dentist, fellatio and the department of agriculture.

"I suppose outright stupidity and complete lack of taste could also be considered points of view. "

Ya, plus we can't get sharks to do tricks to entertain our young

People laugh when I say that I think a jellyfish is one of the most beautiful things in the world. What they don't understand is, I mean a jellyfish with long, blond hair.

We can feed our young to the sharks as entertainment but thats not really the same thing :shifty: