Weekend Programmer #2

I don't know if the first two are answerable, but I feel the need to ask them all the same:

1) Is there any way to play the game through without any Jedi classes? (I always wanted to finish the game as a Scout; I figured your reward for the added difficulty could be a special ending.)

2) Will the game allow you more freedom of choice? As in, if our hearts are black as coal, will we have the option of hating and wanting to destroy the Republic? BEFORE the very end, mind you.

3) Sorry if this has been asked before, but... Customizable saber hilts: Will we have them?

Curious about the subraces in Pillars of Eternity? Check out 

How much traveling are we looking at in this game? I mean, do you spend lots of time ni one place or is it going back and forth from place to place a lot. In KOTOR, it seemed that if you wanted to do all the side quests, it was often more convenient to just zoom around from planet to planet all the time.

And is it linear (i.e. Taris, then Dantooine) or is it more organic (Manaan, Tatooine, Kashyyyk and Korriban all at once) or is it a bit of both?

Hm. I'm not totally sure how much back and forth travelling will be involved. Designers would know the answer to that much better than I. For those wondering, we do have the transition movies between areas just like in KotOR1. I personally think they're a lot more interesting this time though. The artists did a good job of putting unique twists into many of them. But I could just be biased. ;)

-Akari

Can you give us any further assurances regarding skill balance/usefulness?

Like: awareness, security, and others.

Thanks.

"Things are funny...are comedic, because they mix the real with the absurd." - Buzz Aldrin.

"P-O-T-A-T-O-E" - Dan Quayle

1. Is it now possible to disengage the whole party from combat? It was one of the more annoying quirks of KOTOR that you couldn't

Nothing has been done about this yet, but I'm hoping there will be something I can do in this regard when I get to the NPC party scripting in the near future.

2. What has been done to make a soldier class NPC more interesting to use?

Hm. Well, for all the NPCs you get in your party, they each have unique feats and abilities specific to their character that sets them apart. Since the player character will never be a soldier, I don't believe there have been any 'generic to every soldier' changes made to the game.

3. Will the demolition skill  affect how much damage a character does with grenades (I have heard that's the case with the mines)?

It doesn't currently. I don't know if that is the final design decision on that or not.

4. Is door/chest bashing out? I really hope so...

Nope. It's still around.

5. How does weapon switch work? I have hoped that it would work just by selection of appropriate feats (i.e. if you have chosen power attack, then the char would change to melee weapons), but you mentioned that it would be an independant action. I'd hate it if it takes a full round to change weapons...  Would remove a lot of usefulness from this feature.

Outside of combat it happens immediately. Within combat, if you do it while you have no actions on your action queue, it also happens immediately. If you do have actions on your action queue the Switch Weapons action will get placed in the combat queue like any other action and execute when it falls due. It doesn't take a complete combat round to perform no matter what though.

Weapon swapping will never happen automatically. It will always be a player's action that triggers it.

-Akari

4. Is door/chest bashing out? I really hope so...

Nope. It's still around.

Hmmm....leading from that thought, will there at least be more uses for the security skill in regards to picking locks? For example, low level chests and doors being bashable, but a lot more doors scattered around like the one KOTOR door which couldn't be bashed (Master Uthar's chamber door, if I remember correctly)?

I made this half-pony half-monkey monster to please you

But I get the feeling that you don't like it

What's with all the screaming?

You like monkeys, you like ponies

Maybe you don't like monsters so much

Maybe I used too many monkeys

Isn't it enough to know that I ruined a pony making a gift for you?

How much traveling are we looking at in this game? I mean, do you spend lots of time ni one place or is it going back and forth from place to place a lot. In KOTOR, it seemed that if you wanted to do all the side quests, it was often more convenient to just zoom around from planet to planet all the time.

And is it linear (i.e. Taris, then Dantooine) or is it more organic (Manaan, Tatooine, Kashyyyk and Korriban all at once) or is it a bit of both?

Hm. I'm not totally sure how much back and forth travelling will be involved. Designers would know the answer to that much better than I. For those wondering, we do have the transition movies between areas just like in KotOR1. I personally think they're a lot more interesting this time though. The artists did a good job of putting unique twists into many of them. But I could just be biased. :lol:

-Akari

Biased! :p

Why dont u just tell us what u can instead of us asking pointless questions that waste both your and our time?

Another great idea by the people who brought you beer milkshakes!

"I don't see a problem...then again, SW isn't my life, so what do I know...." - some who makes 27.8 post per day on a SW forum!

Does KOTOR2 have the same system requirements as KOTOR1?

While I haven't heard anything official on this front, I believe that it is the same, yeah.

Is significantly less buggy and faster than KOTOR1?

Well, we certainly hope so. :lol: We have gotten some frame rate improvements over KotOR1 and we're looking at some other areas that could stand to be optimized as well.

-Akari

Why dont u just tell us what u can instead of us asking pointless questions that waste both your and our time?

If you think, I'm sure you can come up with plenty of reasons.

O, and if you had thought, I'm sure you could have come up with a better way to try and make your point. He doesn't have to tell anyone anything. Remember that.

In Weekend Programmer 1, i think someone asked you something about the Queen of Onderon. And you stated that you didn`t know of her. Was that the truth? Don`t you want us to know about her yet? Or did you joke?  :blink:

At the time that was the truth. I've since been gotten to be somewhat more informed. :rolleyes:

-Akari

Does KOTOR2 have the same system requirements as KOTOR1?

While I haven't heard anything official on this front, I believe that it is the same, yeah.

Is significantly less buggy and faster than KOTOR1?

Well, we certainly hope so. :) We have gotten some frame rate improvements over KotOR1 and we're looking at some other areas that could stand to be optimized as well.

-Akari

Thanks for answering. I was more worried about that, because the KOTOR ran unusually slow on the lowest settings on my computer.

With the first game there were some quite interesting lighting effects that could have been used in the levels (First level where you stand next to the big screens on the bridge shades your charecter) Will we be seeing more use of interactive lighting effects like this in the new levels?

adam can you answer a few questions when Akari isn't here

"Your total disregard for the law and human decency both disgusts me and touches my heart. Bless you, sir."

"Soilent Green is people. This guy's just a homeless heroin junkie who got in a internet caf

Hey Akari;

do you know what lightsaber colours will be in KOTOR II? if so can you give us a list of them please :)

thanks for your time.

"The only difference between genius and stupidity is genius has its limits!" - Albert Einstein.

"It's better to be thought a fool, than to open your mouth and remove all doubt!"

"You can try to kill me, you'd fail!, but you can try!" - Revan.

"When you have exhausted all other possibilities whatever remains, however improbable must be the truth." - Sherlock Holmes (a.k.a. Sir Arthur Conan Dole)

"A lack of planning on your part, does not constitute an emergency on my part"

AscendedPaladin.png