Weekend Programmer #2

Okay, here's another chance to ask questions about KotOR2. I'll be in today and probably tomorrow, so between builds I don't mind taking some time to answer questions you may have about the game in progress.

Some guidelines:

I stay away from story matters as much as possible when it comes to giving answers. Partially because there's a lot of things that I don't even know about the story, but also because I think this is one of those stories best experienced rather than have ruined in advance. Having us be tight lipped about story details is for your own good. ;)

I try to answer questions in the order they're posted.

Keep in mind I'm also, in theory, working today. So there may be long periods of time where I don't have time to post any answers. When I leave for the day I'll lock the thread, so you'll know when I'm actually done. :)

Try to avoid repeating questions. Like I mentioned in the previous week's thread, I don't like repeating myself. Read the previous week's post and see if your question has already been answered.

Since Adam's in today, there's a chance he might weigh in on some things too. Which is also cool.

-Akari

Goodie. Just in time.

Ok, let's see, let's see: given that the Consular and Guardian in KOTOR had barely any skill points (or, in the Consular's case, barely any skill points AND barely any feats), has any tinkering been done to the number of skill points and feats gained per level so that we don't have to play a Sentinel to get half-decent skills?

I made this half-pony half-monkey monster to please you

But I get the feeling that you don't like it

What's with all the screaming?

You like monkeys, you like ponies

Maybe you don't like monsters so much

Maybe I used too many monkeys

Isn't it enough to know that I ruined a pony making a gift for you?

Asked this a tad too late last time around.

If you play through the game once can you "unlock" color options the next time around?

I doubt you'll have access to every color as soon as you get your saber. But if you play through it once and collect this color or that will there be a save option after you've beat the game that will allow you access to any/all you've found? Or will it be a case you just have to remember where you found what crystal if you want a certain one?

47.jpg

This one you probably don't know, being a programmer and not an art guy, but was this Sith guy purposefully made to look like Bruce Lee? B)

I made this half-pony half-monkey monster to please you

But I get the feeling that you don't like it

What's with all the screaming?

You like monkeys, you like ponies

Maybe you don't like monsters so much

Maybe I used too many monkeys

Isn't it enough to know that I ruined a pony making a gift for you?

Goodie. Just in time.

Ok, let's see, let's see: given that the Consular and Guardian in KOTOR had barely any skill points (or, in the Consular's case, barely any skill points AND barely any feats), has any tinkering been done to the number of skill points and feats gained per level so that we don't have to play a Sentinel to get half-decent skills?

I don't know how finalized the table is that handles that, but currently the Sentinel starting class is still going to have substantially more skill points than the other two. It's something that is probably being looked at in the QA process. There's a lot more parameters that go into determining skill points per level than I have time to do the math on right now though.

-Akari

Asked this a tad too late last time around.

If you play through the game once can you "unlock" color options the next time around?

I doubt you'll have access to every color as soon as you get your saber. But if you play through it once and collect this color or that will there be a save option after you've beat the game that will allow you access to any/all you've found? Or will it be a case you just have to remember where you found what crystal if you want a certain one?

It's probably going to be the latter case. I doubt it will be something that gets unlocked after your first pass through the game, though that is an interesting idea and something I'll pass along. There are plans for at least one thing that will be unlockable by completing the game though. :lol:

-Akari

Approximately how many lightsaber stances are there? What effect do they have in combat? Will they have different animations and damage/defense values, or do they serve a deeper purpose in combat?

Will Malak's one-handed style be usable? What about Revan's scorpion style? I felt really cheap fighting Malak--even though I was beating him, he had substantially cooler fighting animations going. And Revan's style looks devastating.

In addition, will there be different default "poses" we can select? I personally wanted to wield a double bladed similar to Mauls frontal position, but the whole "pole" style was slightly weak.

I don't know how finalized the table is that handles that, but currently the Sentinel starting class is still going to have substantially more skill points than the other two. It's something that is probably being looked at in the QA process. There's a lot more parameters that go into determining skill points per level than I have time to do the math on right now though.

Is the Sen still going to end up with the same amount of feats as a Consular and the same number of force powers as a Guardian? Or has that been changed/fixed so the class is actually between the two?

I.E.

More feats then a Con but less then a Guardian?

More force then a Guardian but less then a Con?

It's probably going to be the latter case. I doubt it will be something that gets unlocked after your first pass through the game, though that is an interesting idea and something I'll pass along. There are plans for at least one thing that will be unlockable by completing the game though.

Thanks.

One unlockable?Is it the Atton swim suit calander?

:lol:

Akari,

a 2-part question if you will:

1-Percentage estimate, how far along completion is TSL from Obsidian's point of view?

2-What "functions" or "items" does LucasArts do once your (Obsidian) part is done? For instance, do they just do the advertising and voice acting? Or do they still have to do any coding or technical stuff like that?

"Console exclusive is such a harsh word." - Darque

"Console exclusive is two words Darque." - Nartwak (in response to Darque's observation)

*raises hand* A question! Will we see cutscenes of events happening elsewhere than where our main chara is? Like, in KOTOR 1, we could follow some of what our opponents were doing or what was going on at their's at times in the game. Will it be the same in TSL?

Despite the fact that many people who've played KOTOR has a negative view on it, I'm still very optimistic about the Februari release and can't wait to get my paws on the game :D

How much traveling are we looking at in this game? I mean, do you spend lots of time ni one place or is it going back and forth from place to place a lot. In KOTOR, it seemed that if you wanted to do all the side quests, it was often more convenient to just zoom around from planet to planet all the time.

And is it linear (i.e. Taris, then Dantooine) or is it more organic (Manaan, Tatooine, Kashyyyk and Korriban all at once) or is it a bit of both?

"You shall not pass!"

Force Clairvoyance has been said to be a bit different. It's like Prince of Persia where you can see ahead in the level, maybe a solution to a problem/puzzle/ambush. Not like Malak on the bridge talking to Saul - although you might very well foresee extra things like that, I imagine, and foresee catastrophies such as the bombing of Taris.

I think Force Clairavoyance has that purpose.

What night cleaver said. Force Clairavoyance does AFAIK let you see through doors, walls and such - and let you see the auras of people, but that's all, I think. I meant more like KOTOR 1's cutscenes...

Despite the fact that many people who've played KOTOR has a negative view on it, I'm still very optimistic about the Februari release and can't wait to get my paws on the game :D

1. Is it now possible to disengage the whole party from combat? It was one of the more annoying quirks of KOTOR that you couldn't

2. What has been done to make a soldier class NPC more interesting to use?

3. Will the demolition skill affect how much damage a character does with grenades (I have heard that's the case with the mines)?

4. Is door/chest bashing out? I really hope so...

5. How does weapon switch work? I have hoped that it would work just by selection of appropriate feats (i.e. if you have chosen power attack, then the char would change to melee weapons), but you mentioned that it would be an independant action. I'd hate it if it takes a full round to change weapons... Would remove a lot of usefulness from this feature.

TIA.