New Non-Spoiler, Non-Fanboy Ep3 Review

DemonKing

Yea, I read the new Time magazine too, which unfortunately has a lot of spoilers. But they too said Lucas finally got it right with this movie, and it

Life is like a clam. Years of filtering crap then some bastard cracks you open and scrapes you into its damned mouth, end of story.

- Steven Erikson

Someone on the radio said today about Episode III:

"My recommendation is to watch the end of Episode II and the start of Episode IV, eat lots of cheese and then go to sleep. You will dream something much better."

"An electric puddle is not what I need right now." (Nina Kalenkov)

Someone on the radio said today about Episode III:

"My recommendation is to watch the end of Episode II and the start of Episode IV, eat lots of cheese and then go to sleep.  You will dream something much better."

Probably was Mr Kermode -- was it Radio 4?

I will probably still see it, anyway. (I won't be knocking anyone out of the way to get to the cinema, though.)

OBSCVRVM PER OBSCVRIVS ET IGNOTVM PER IGNOTIVS

ingsoc.gif

OPVS ARTIFICEM PROBAT

On the memento DVD there is an easter egg which lets you watch the film in chronological sequence. Never tried it myself. Whats it like?

Negative reviews will be ineffectual against RoTS. Everyone will watch it even those SW fans say they wont - they will watch it. Even the obsessive disgruntled SW fanboys whose motto is that GL raped their childhoods - they will watch it, most proabably more than once and they will buy the DVD when it is released.

On the memento DVD there is an easter egg which lets you watch the film in chronological sequence. Never tried it myself. Whats it like?

Never seen it .. but I doubt it's as interesting, since it reveals the point in the beginning then .. and it's not that hard to keep track of the film in the first place! :thumbsup:

Negative reviews will be ineffectual against RoTS. Everyone will watch it even those SW fans say they wont - they will watch it. Even the obsessive disgruntled SW fanboys whose motto is that GL raped their childhoods - they will watch it, most proabably more than once and they will buy the DVD when it is released.

Yeah, they probably will .. but I do know some hardcore SW fans who have refused to watch both Episode II and probably III as well ..

Fortune favors the bald.

This is just something someone sent me in an email. I also heard about it before.

Director STEVEN SPIELBERG wept at a premiere of pal GEORGE LUCAS' final STAR WARS movie EPISODE III: REVENGE OF THE SITH.

JURASSIC PARK film-maker, Spielberg was so moved by the eagerly-awaited conclusion of the sci-fi saga, he burst into tears at its screening last week (begs29APR05).

But he's unashamed by his tears, insisting fans will also cry at the end of the film, because its moving conclusion marks the end of Lucas' epic story.

Spielberg says, "I saw it about a week ago, and it's absolutely amazing.

"It's the best of the last three episodes. It's the best way you could possibly imagine for George to finish it off, it has a tremendous ending and it's very dark. You'll cry at the end, it's wonderful."

06/05/2005 02:41

Life is like a clam. Years of filtering crap then some bastard cracks you open and scrapes you into its damned mouth, end of story.

- Steven Erikson

Sith Happens

*** Mild semi-spoilers towards the end. ***

The last Star Wars Prequel isn't half the pop-culture epic it thinks it is, say Cosmo Landesman.

When Episode I: The Phantom Menace, the first of the Star Wars prequels, came out in 1999m many Star Wars fans hid their disapointment by claiming their hero, the director George Lucas, hadn't lost his touch. No, they insisted, he was just setting up the story. Just wait till Episode II is released, then you'll see! When Episode II: Attack of the Clones opened in 2002m they said: well, it's better than Episode I. Just wait till Episode III us released, then you'll see! Now Episode III: Revenge of the Sith is here, and there are no more excuses to be made. Lucas has to deliver a film that not only is great in its own right, but justifies the making of the other two.

His fans will say it's amazing, awesome ... and we told you so! I say it's all been a big nothing. Lucas's prequel trilogy has set out to exploit the affections the public rightly has for the first three Star Wars films. If he had released Episodes I to III first, I doubt there would have been a Star Wars phenomena at all.

Some will claim that Revenge of the Sith is classic popcorn entertainment. If only it were. This isn't great popcorn entertainment; it's popcorn pretentiousness. That happens when people like Lucas start believing they are Serious Artists with something to say about the human condition and good and evil. Since the 1960s, pop culture has become incresingly ambitious and hungry for respectability. It apes tje forms of high culture. It wants to do Shakespeare (Baz Lurman), make its own operas (Tommy) and create its own timeless epics (The Matrix). There's nothing wrong with with wanting to create the great epic of pop culture, but so far it hasn't been done. Even Star Wars episodes IV, V and VI were too sweet and simple to be taken seriously. But I, II and III could have been it. After all, Lucas promised that Revenge of the Sith woulf be more "grown up" and "darker" than his previous films. And look at the central theme of these prequels: they're all about the moral decline both of the state and the individual.

The trouble with this film -- and the entire prequel trilogy -- is that it offers the stuffy self-importance of high art with none of the vitality or imagination of pop. The original Star Wars trio was a fast and fun sugar rush of special effects and great characters. It offered a wall of sound and spectacle. It took science fiction away from Stanley Kubrick and pulped it up with the spirit of Phil Spector. The prequels, on the other hand, are ponderous. They are tedious tracts that plod along with no narrative rhythm or real oomph.

As the title suggests, the film is about the attempt of the evil Sith to seize power and turn the Republic into a dictatorial empire. Lucas is fascinated by the machinations of intergalactic politics, the Machiavellian struggle between the Jedi Council and Chancellor Palpatine (Ian McDiarmid). But does anyone but the army of Star Wars anoraks really find Lucas's Edward Gibbon-like account of the rise and fall of the Republic interesting? What does he have to say about people or politics, other than power corrupts?

"Dialogue doesn't have much meaning in any of my movies."

There are lots of little things that are wrong with Revenge of the Sith. Dialogue has never been one of Lucas's strong points. As he once said "Dialogue doesn't have much meaning in any of my movies." But here, the dialgue is so bad that it frequently draws attention to itself and undermines the drama at hand. During a crucial fight scene, Obi-Wan Kenobi (Ewan McGregor) tells Anakin (Hayden Christensen) that he should resist joining the Sith because they're really bad guys. Anakin replies: "Well, from my point of view they're not bad." It's the sort of clumsy, amateur line you'd expect from someone who has never witten a screenplay before.

Then there are the battle sequences, always a big part of the Star Wars experience. Here they are really undistinguished. Thankfully, most of the key encounters are between characters, not huge armies of CGI figures. However, the novelty of seeing two bits of strip lighting smash into each other has worn off. There's no skill or subtlety to these fight scenes; they're all flash'n'bash, whoosh'n'whish.

none of the bad guys has any bad-guy cool

And none of the bad guys has any bad-guy cool. Count Dooku is just Christopher Lee doing the old staring-eyeball routine. And Darth Sidious can't be serious, can he? I mean what's with that ha-ha-ha bad guy laugh of his? When he boasts "My power is great", and out pops this little blue electromagnetic force, he looks like something you'd find in an episode of Buffy the Vampire Slayer.

As for the good guys, what can you say? Nothing has so marred these prequels as Lucas's decison to cast McGregor as young Obi-Wan Kenobi, a part made famous by Alec Guiness. It's like casting Ray Winston to play the young Steven Fry. Natalie Portman, as the pregnant Padm

ingsoc.gif

OPVS ARTIFICEM PROBAT

Journalist jerks were saying the same about previous five episodes. The truth is that they are jealous pigs.

HERMOCRATES:

Nur Ab Sal was one such king. He it was, say the wise men of Egypt, who first put men in the colossus, making many freaks

of nature at times when the celestial spheres were well aligned.

SOCRATES:

This I doubt. We are hearing a child's tale.

Oh, shut it. Youd give praise to George Lucas homeshot amateur pron flicks.

I expect it to be quite bad but with some uplifting moments of slaughter.

DISCLAIMER: Do not take what I write seriously unless it is clearly and in no uncertain terms, declared by me to be meant in a serious and non-humoristic manner. If there is no clear indication, asume the post is written in jest. This notification is meant very seriously and its purpouse is to avoid misunderstandings and the consequences thereof. Furthermore; I can not be held accountable for anything I write on these forums since the idea of taking serious responsability for my unserious actions, is an oxymoron in itself.

Important: as the following sentence contains many naughty words I warn you not to read it under any circumstances; botty, knickers, wee, erogenous zone, psychiatrist, clitoris, stockings, bosom, poetry reading, dentist, fellatio and the department of agriculture.

"I suppose outright stupidity and complete lack of taste could also be considered points of view. "

Not quite. I hate American Grafitti for example.

HERMOCRATES:

Nur Ab Sal was one such king. He it was, say the wise men of Egypt, who first put men in the colossus, making many freaks

SOCRATES:

The movie played out with most of the B&W scenes first. IMO it takes away some of the magic of the show. Memento forevah!!!... 8)

bnwdancer9ma7pk.gif

Jaguars4ever is still alive.  No word of a lie.

Oh, shut it. Youd give praise to George Lucas homeshot amateur pron flicks.

I expect it to be quite bad but with some uplifting moments of slaughter.

My thoughts exactly....5 days left 8)

Maybe all the action could make a great movie ^_^

Just don't expect King Lear or Faustus.

Actually I found a lot of similarities to this reviewer's analysis and the faults of KotOR 2 ...

ingsoc.gif

OPVS ARTIFICEM PROBAT

Yeah, you people just sit in your homes and whine more. I'll go to the cinema and have fun at the same time 8)

HERMOCRATES:

SOCRATES:

I just want Anakin and Padme to die horribly... something I know Ill half-get but knowing Lucas's horridly cheesy writing, he'll probably ruin the moment with lots of sentimental dung.

DISCLAIMER: Do not take what I write seriously unless it is clearly and in no uncertain terms, declared by me to be meant in a serious and non-humoristic manner. If there is no clear indication, asume the post is written in jest. This notification is meant very seriously and its purpouse is to avoid misunderstandings and the consequences thereof. Furthermore; I can not be held accountable for anything I write on these forums since the idea of taking serious responsability for my unserious actions, is an oxymoron in itself.

Important: as the following sentence contains many naughty words I warn you not to read it under any circumstances; botty, knickers, wee, erogenous zone, psychiatrist, clitoris, stockings, bosom, poetry reading, dentist, fellatio and the department of agriculture.

"I suppose outright stupidity and complete lack of taste could also be considered points of view. "