Smart people don't believe in god...

so you're trying to discredit the results by saying polls in general are biased? that's pathetic, even for you...

you just gotta sling some insults, don't you? can't live without them...

go back and read my posts. i said, specifically, that polls like these are typically agenda driven. somebody has a point to prove, and it's usually obvious what that point is. show me the actual questions used in these polls, for the entire poll, and i may reevaluate.

either prove that these results are wrong, the studies are biased or shut up... :-"

you stated the polls first. why don't you show me these polls are statistically significant or YOU shut up.

you just don't get science, do you? people like you are the reason polls are worthless, yes, in general this time.

taks

exactely how are these studies biased? they just asked simple questions to classify the subjects of the study. questions like: "do you believe i an afterlife". "do you believe in a personal god". "religion is very important in your life".

you mean they are somehow tricking the subjects. so somehow religious people say they are non-religious and vice versa?

because the studies themselves are flawless. i.e.

16. Norman Poythress, 1975

Mean SATs for strongly anti-

religious (1148), moderately anti-religious (1119), slightly anti-religious (1108), and religious (1022).

so what you're saying is that somehow they've "rigged" the polls? that maybe strongly anti-religious people are in fact religious...? :thumbsup:

and btw, yeah i don't get science. that is why i just handed in my master thesis in abstract algebra... :)

"in the engineering world, where some of the smartest individuals you'd ever care to meet exist, the populace is mixed in terms of beliefs. most (75% or so) actually fall into the middle somewhere believing in god but not necessarily religion (there is a difference). given that 95% of the world population believes in a higher power, it's pretty easy to see the problem with such 'studies.'"

But doesn't that mean that engineers are less god believing than the rest of the world? I mean, 75% is a hell of a lot less than 95%.

Its a mute point. I think the whole thread was just *edited, because mentioning it causes it* poorly presented.

studies pointing out that all the republican presidents have very low IQs compared to democrats. 

i am an atheist in case you were wondering.

taks

Well, there is George W. Bush and Gerald Ford in case you need more obvious proof.

I mean its pretty much been established that there are two schools of political thought in the U.S. that are dominant, The Educated Left and the Religious Right.

Unfortantly TV has given one side a decisive advantage. :)

People laugh when I say that I think a jellyfish is one of the most beautiful things in the world. What they don't understand is, I mean a jellyfish with long, blond hair.

I think this is one of those "Group A is made up of all white people, so white people are all Group A" kind of things. I think what it finds is that non-religious folk tend to be smart, but not all smart people are non-religious.

The area between the balls and the butt is a hotbed of terrorist activity.

Devastatorsig.jpg

I am an empirical rationalist.  I go by what I can see, hear, touch, and so forth.  I know God exists.  I know that Lucifer (Semyaz, Satan, Bob, whatever you want to call him) exists.  I worship neither one.

As a rationalist, on what evidence do you base the assertion that God and Satan exist?

"An electric puddle is not what I need right now." (Nina Kalenkov)

Science is a religion too people.

Not really, although some people do take it to that level if they develop 'faith' in a particular theory or set of theories. Rationalism is a belief system inspired by a scientific approach, but not a religion, I think.

Science is a religion too people.

No, it's not.

DISCLAIMER: Do not take what I write seriously unless it is clearly and in no uncertain terms, declared by me to be meant in a serious and non-humoristic manner. If there is no clear indication, asume the post is written in jest. This notification is meant very seriously and its purpouse is to avoid misunderstandings and the consequences thereof. Furthermore; I can not be held accountable for anything I write on these forums since the idea of taking serious responsability for my unserious actions, is an oxymoron in itself.

Important: as the following sentence contains many naughty words I warn you not to read it under any circumstances; botty, knickers, wee, erogenous zone, psychiatrist, clitoris, stockings, bosom, poetry reading, dentist, fellatio and the department of agriculture.

"I suppose outright stupidity and complete lack of taste could also be considered points of view. "

Well, you can get lost in an argument about 'belief' and 'faith', but this is my interpretation of these terms in this context. I believe that the sun rises and sets because of the rotation of the Earth, but that belief is not faith because it is inspired by observation and evidence. It is the most reasonable explanation of the observed facts. Faith, on the other hand, is belief without proof and without feeling the need for proof. We have the observed evidence of our day-to-day lives that one cannot turn water into wine. Christians nevertheless believe that Jesus did just that, and without proof. I would call this 'faith' rather than 'belief'. But I don't think most people, including myself, make the distinction in everyday speech.

faith [fayth]

(plural faiths)

noun

1. belief or trust: belief in, devotion to, or trust in somebody or something, especially without logical proof

2. religion religion or religious group: a system of religious belief, or the group of people who adhere to it

3. religion trust in God: belief in and devotion to God

Her faith is unwavering.

4. set of beliefs: a strongly held set of beliefs or principles

people of different political faiths

5. loyalty: allegiance or loyalty to somebody or something

Microsoft

Always outnumbered, never out gunned!

Unreal Tournament 2004 Handle:Enlight_2.0

Myspace Website!

My rig

faith [fayth]

(plural faiths)

noun

1.  belief or trust: belief in, devotion to, or trust in somebody or something, especially without logical proof 

2.  religion religion or religious group: a system of religious belief, or the group of people who adhere to it 

3.  religion trust in God: belief in and devotion to God

Her faith is unwavering.

4.  set of beliefs: a strongly held set of beliefs or principles

people of different political faiths

5.  loyalty: allegiance or loyalty to somebody or something 

Microsoft

Ok everything is based on a first assumption. Sceinces 1st assumption is "the laws that govern the universe today , going to be here tomarrow" if you beleive in that you believe in science. that is its first assumption. its a beleif, a religion, that people will follow.

Always outnumbered, never out gunned!

Unreal Tournament 2004 Handle:Enlight_2.0

Myspace Website!

My rig

Do you guys see it yet? i will explain it in other words if you want , now  that i said it once you atleast have an idea.

I totally agree that Science is a religion. Its just not an organized religion and its beliefs are based on facts instead of stories.

The area between the balls and the butt is a hotbed of terrorist activity.

Devastatorsig.jpg