poltitical forum

Revan_2005

TBH i never even bothered looking at the LIB DEM reforms but now that i have i'm glad i didnt vote for them they are unrealistic. 50% income tax? screw that!!

It says it right there, an extra manifesto one for wales and for scotland - they have they are self governed to an extent.

It says it right there, an extra manifesto one for wales and for scotland - they have they are self governed to an extent.

So are there seperate elections then?

And why no manifesto for N.Ireland :thumbsup: ?

Well, I don't really see much in the media here about the different candidates, it's all just the usual 'today in an extraordinary turn of events Tony Blair kissed George W Bush's ass on the left cheek. Despite the following tumults, the President is reported to be satisfied with the PM and appreciative of his support.' Of course, that could very well be because I'm not actually looking...

I did see someone had made beer with the names of the three candidates. The Blair one was most popular, apparently. Somewhat sweeter than the others.

Bah, anyways my favourite is Jim Hacker. Who mostly resembles him?

So are there seperate elections then?

And why no manifesto for N.Ireland :- ?

Wales has the Welsh Assembly, Scotland has the Scottish Parliament. Their elections will be in 2007, I think. Some of the main issues in the campaign have been foreign policy, health and education. For England, all three are controlled by the UK parliament in London, so the campaign focuses on all of them. For Scotland and Wales, foreign policy is controlled by the UK parliament, but health and education are devolved to the Welsh Assembly and Scottish Parliament, so there's no point fighting over these issues this time. The parties need to different manifestos there because they need to focus on issues which are not devolved to regional government.

"An electric puddle is not what I need right now." (Nina Kalenkov)

Wales has the Welsh Assembly, Scotland has the Scottish Parliament.  Their elections will be in 2007, I think.  Some of the main issues in the campaign have been foreign policy, health and education.  For England, all three are controlled by the UK parliament in London, so the campaign focuses on all of them.  For Scotland and Wales, foreign policy is controlled by the UK parliament, but health and education are devolved to the Welsh Assembly and Scottish Parliament, so there's no point fighting over these issues this time.  The parties need to different manifestos there because they need to focus on issues which are not devolved to regional government.

Thank you... :- ...it's much clearer for me now :)

Your system seems kinda strange tho...has anyone tried to change it?

Your system seems kinda strange tho...has anyone tried to change it?

This change was introduced quite recently, what we have now is the new improved version. There's some history behind this which I can explain briefly...

We used to have a single Parliament in London for everything. But Scotland and Wales were, hundreds of years ago, separate countries and still retain their own traditions. In the 1980s, while England voted for the Conservatives and Margaret Thatcher, Scotland and Wales voted consistently for Labour, and the feeling grew that they were tired of being governed from London. When Labour came to power in 1997, they held referenda in Scotland and Wales, and the people there voted to have this mixed system, with some powers staying in London, and others devolved to the new regional governments. So that's the system we have now. For England, everything is still decided in London, but for Scotland and Wales, powers are split. It's complicated, but it's what people want, and that's democracy, I guess.

Well does it work better? :-

So Labour has been in power for 8 years now.

I don't live in Scotland or Wales, but people seem happy enough with it.

Labour have been in power for 8 years, and now they have another 4. That makes 12. Now I'm depressed. If only Blair would resign, that would cheer me up.

Gordon Brown, the Finance Minister (Chancellor of the Exchequer), most likely, but it would be decided by a vote of Labour Party members, affiliated unions and Members of Parliament, I think.

Gordon Brown, the Finance Minister (Chancellor of the Exchequer), most likely, but it would be decided by a vote of Labour Party members, affiliated unions and Members of Parliament, I think.

And is he a valid alternative?

Does he opose Blair?

He's a competent politician. He backed the Iraq war, but he wasn't so closely associated with it as Tony Blair, so he's more popular. And he and Blair used to be good friends, but now they hate each other, so he sort of opposes Blair, but from within the cabinet.

Damn all of you!!! :huh: I've been gone for a day and had to read up like 4 pages of power spaming and contra spaming! At least there is some sort of a topic now so I'll try and join up again.

Now that the election is done with and Blair has won another one. Do you british guys/gals think there'll be any kind of real changes! I mean seeing it from Germany it kind of seems that he has done quite alright, except for the Iraq war. He seems like he is sort of the best choice you guys had!? (Better than anyone here in Germany!!!)

There are non-religious belief systems that do just as well, and arguably better, since they are not based upon a false premise.

yes but what is false to you could be a universal truth to somone else.

Hogwash...truth is truth. What you believe to be false might be the universal opinion of someone else, but two opposites can't both be true at the same time.

And is he a valid alternative?

Does he opose Blair?

He's a competent politician. He backed the Iraq war, but he wasn't so closely associated with it as Tony Blair, so he's more popular. And he and Blair used to be good friends, but now they hate each other, so he sort of opposes Blair, but from within the cabinet.

How could you work with someone you hate everyday? Sounds terrible. Tony Blair seems a resonable leader who generally does want to help the people out by being a good leader, but I'm hardly a primary source...

There are non-religious belief systems that do just as well, and arguably better, since they are not based upon a false premise.

yes but what is false to you could be a universal truth to somone else.

Hogwash...truth is truth. What you believe to be false might be the universal opinion of someone else, but two opposites can't both be true at the same time.

True ther is no universal truth, but in the same sense there is no truth at all! There are only opinions and at best an "educated guess"! Not even the mathematical truth, wich is most likely the only truth that can be prooven with our limited experiences! So in the end, two opposites might very well be true at the same time. It's all just a matter of opinion!

Damn this philosophical stuff gives me an headache :wacko:

So they couldn't vote....

How do you get citizenship?

No, they can't.

Interested in moving to the UK Baley?

I would assume you get citizenship in the UK by fulfilling some requirement to live there for X years and then apply for it from the government...or maybe all you have to do is marry a brit...Darth Launch, for example... :wacko:

So they couldn't vote....

How do you get citizenship?

No, they can't.

Interested in moving to the UK Baley?

I would assume you get citizenship in the UK by fulfilling some requirement to live there for X years and then apply for it from the government...or maybe all you have to do is marry a brit...Darth Launch, for example... :thumbsup:

that'd take a few years for it too be legal :D but Launch is in the market :wub: for now :shifty: