K1 vs K2 thread

Granted both games are very well designed.

Story

K1:

Story: you go through the whole training scheme to become a padawan, you find out you are Raven and you have the choice to save the Republic or to bring the end of it.

K2: You get to play the "Exile" who had an unusual gift of force bonds, who awakens on the Paraguas station to find an old women who is seceretly his enemy. You luckily escape the station to find a jedi academy on Telos, whom you find your old lover who sets you on the journey to reunite the jedi masters to combat the new sith threat.

Gameplay K1:

You're actually challenged.

You know where all the goodies are

A D20 system based on feats and force powers

Gameplay K2:

-You're NOT challenge

-Loot is completely random which is frustrating, E.G. finding jedi robes in Dark games, finding dark jedi robes in light games.. ;)

-Enhancements to lightsabers (though you could argue that what makes the game too easy, but again force powers are way too strong, or the enemies are way too weak)

-New spifty animations (though a waste of space in my opinion)

Overall Thoughts K1

First Starwars RPG game (that was actually good)

Became game of the year

Sold millions of copies

Jaw-dropping twist in the game that literally freaks you out.

Overall Thoughts K2

Cutscenes and CGI scenes were either too short or served no purpose (do we really need to see shuttling cut scenes?)

Promo of the game was nothing like it was released, who would of thought Atris and Sion being side characters? Seems like originally Paragaus was done before the idea of the force hunger crap came in.

Ending? There is an ending? The only ending we got was Kreia reading our palm and reading out future :huh: if I knew that was going to be the ending, I would of gone to the carnival and went to a gypsis so I can get a fortune telling.

You will waste many hours on a game, only to find out the ending you see, it.

utter crap (w00t)

You seem some what bias in your post... ;)"

Why wouldn't I be baised?

K1 was actually completed, it barely had any mistakes and those mistakes weren't game ruining mistakes...

K2 had dozens of problems with the loot system (such as just looting health packs when the only time you use them is before Telos Academy)

Also another noticeable thing is... a majority of the cut scenes seem to be at the beginning of the game while the number of cut scenese decrease the farther you get...

Interesting isn't it?

Well, I preferred KOTOR1, because of the twist that literally made me fall off my seat (I just didn't see it coming) and because I felt that the game was overally better made.

KOTOR2 had the potential to be better. I mean when I first heard about the story I thought it would be to KOTOR1 that was ESB to ANH. Unfortunately, I think a combination of high expectations from fans and a controversially unfinished ending ruined it (not that its a terrible game).

I wouldn't go as far as to say it was 'utter crap' though.

Launch ;)

P.S. The fact that Carth was in KOTOR1 has not affected my opinion at all... :">

[color=gray][i]OO-TINI![/i][/color]

You seem some what bias in your post... ;)"

K1 was actually completed, it barely had any mistakes and those mistakes weren't game ruining mistakes...

K2 had dozens of problems with the loot system (such as just looting health packs when the only time you use them is before Telos Academy)

Also another noticeable thing is... a majority of the cut scenes seem to be at the beginning of the game while the number of cut scenese decrease the farther you get...

Interesting isn't it?

Well, your argument is a valid one, but answer this question for me. Would you actually say the game was uncomplete if you hadn't of read/listened to the stuff people dug out of the game? or Would you simply have decieded they wrote a crappy ending/story?

But I do prefer KotOR 1

I actually thought KOTOR 2 was a pretty good game. KOTOR 1 was supposed to hook you into the story. Awesome story, solid fighting system, the light/dark choices: It was in itself an amazing game. Lets look at KOTOR 2: The story, as a friend put it, "sucked more then a kid with 15 lollipops." The graphics were so-so with few changes from the original, ditto for the fighting system. Not to mention all the cut content *cough* Atton Professing Love for Exile *cough*. But the thing is, The Sith Lords wasn't supposed to be some huge sequel with jaw dropping vusuals, a crazy and amazing story, and a totally redefined combat system. The Sith Lords is all about the Sith, the Jedi, and their true motives. Its about the Jedi being more then keepers of the peace, and Sith being more then rampaging killing machines. Its about the choices you made during times of War, and about the consequences of those actions. The Story was about the Force, what it really is.

So please don't ridicule this game. I think it lived up to all its hype.

1169782506.gif

Seriously, only like, three people can touch my body

I actually thought KOTOR 2 was a pretty good game. KOTOR 1 was supposed to hook you into the story. Awesome story, solid fighting system, the light/dark choices: It was in itself an amazing game. Lets look at KOTOR 2: The story, as a friend put it, "sucked more then a kid with 15 lollipops." The graphics were so-so with few changes from the original, ditto for the fighting system.  Not to mention all the cut content *cough* Atton Professing Love for Exile *cough*. But the thing is, The Sith Lords wasn't supposed to be some huge sequel with jaw dropping vusuals, a crazy and amazing story, and a totally redefined combat system. The Sith Lords is all about  the Sith, the Jedi, and their true motives. Its about the Jedi being more then keepers of the peace, and Sith being more then rampaging killing machines. Its about the choices you made during times of War, and about the consequences of those actions. The Story was about the Force, what it really is.

So please don't ridicule this game. I think it lived up to all its hype.

:thumbsup: I agree with you fully, I belive people need to analyze all the facts before they make a strong judgment... But I guess people arent really like that and Im just crazy... stupid humans race...

You seem some what bias in your post... :thumbsup:"

Interesting isn't it?

Well, your argument is a valid one, but answer this question for me. Would you actually say the game was uncomplete if you hadn't of read/listened to the stuff people dug out of the game? or Would you simply have decieded they wrote a crappy ending/story?

But I do prefer KotOR 1

Actually yes I thought the game was uncomplete before coming to this forum. The only feeling I had was "Oo.. yeah.. um.. this is it?" if the game had a proper ending I would consider it complete.

But though that is if I never went to a KOTOR forum, even if the ending was complete, there would still be people argueing about the lack of Exile-Party member converstations.

Bao-Dor had less lines than Zaalbar, Visas aside from the whole "I am sorry Visas" and learning force sight. That was it. Handmaiden same thing, Kreia probably had most of the lines but it was comparable to mission in Kotor 1 (which she didn't had much compare to rest of the party). Atton only had 2 Ebon Hawk converstations. The mind reading one and the jedi quest (I found it shocking to find out that Atton barely had any lines). Other than that all the rest of the characters where like that.

They all had short lines, looping text (Do I need to have the same response played to me 10 times?)

Why exactly is there seriously a lack of converstations? Like I wanted to ask Atton about some of his jedi hunting missons, or ask Bao-Dor about some of his battles in the war, or even talk to Mandalore and possibly get him to tell me of Raven.

Like I wanted to ask Atton about some of his jedi hunting missons, or ask Bao-Dor about some of his battles in the war, or even talk to Mandalore and possibly get him to tell me of Raven.

Its Revan. As in the Sith Lord, not the black feathered nuisence of a bird. :thumbsup:

1169782506.gif

I would have to say that K1 was better than K2, only because I liked the major plaot twist, character developement, the clear set point of the game (find the star maps), and the over all feel of the game. SO really it was really tough to decide which I liked better :thumbsup:. In all fairness there was a lot of things I liked about K2 (like the force powers and the character classes) there just happened to be more about K1 that I liked.

"The only difference between genius and stupidity is genius has its limits!" - Albert Einstein.

"It's better to be thought a fool, than to open your mouth and remove all doubt!"

"You can try to kill me, you'd fail!, but you can try!" - Revan.

"When you have exhausted all other possibilities whatever remains, however improbable must be the truth." - Sherlock Holmes (a.k.a. Sir Arthur Conan Dole)

"A lack of planning on your part, does not constitute an emergency on my part"

AscendedPaladin.png

Amen to that.

If it's simply a typo, then fine, far be it from me to correct everyone's keyboarding mistakes. But I find that many many people say *Raven* instead of Revan, making it seem like it's more than just a typo. I mean, throughout the game you hear everyone clearly say REVan. You read "Revan" in the journal entries, in the subtitles, etc. It's just impossible to avoid being inundated with the correct spelling and pronunciation!

Amen to that.

If it's simply a typo, then fine, far be it from me to correct everyone's keyboarding mistakes. But I find that many many people say *Raven* instead of Revan, making it seem like it's more than just a typo. I mean, throughout the game you hear everyone clearly say REVan. You read "Revan" in the journal entries, in the subtitles, etc. It's just impossible to avoid being inundated with the correct spelling and pronunciation!

Unless you have a disease that whenever you want to say a Jedi's name, you say a type of bird, and vice versa. I can picture it now..."We're coming close up on the red breasted Bastila Shan!" and"No way Darth Vader could defeat Master Turkey!"

1169782506.gif

Amen to that.

then why not just chalk it up to a typo and deal with it? Because come on is it really going to cause the world to end if some people decide to not double check what they are posting?

"The only difference between genius and stupidity is genius has its limits!" - Albert Einstein.

"It's better to be thought a fool, than to open your mouth and remove all doubt!"

"When you have exhausted all other possibilities whatever remains, however improbable must be the truth." - Sherlock Holmes (a.k.a. Sir Arthur Conan Dole)

AscendedPaladin.png

Okay, your bias is understood but you must see that LA just wasn't being fair. Kotor 2 could have been the game of the year no doubt no questions asked if given more time. Obsidian had 13 months, started late 2003 and finished late 2004. Bioware started work in 2001 and finished in 2003. Holy freaking cow.

Do you know how much better this game would be? That and, those CGI's kicked ass. Much better than the first, they also have reason and story added to them. With Kotor it was like, okay story here, now go to some planets and play with yourself, then some more story, then more playing with yourself, then a boring uninteresting planet, then end story (note: I love Kotor, I've beaten it 15+ times)

While in K2, these planets are interesting (except for Nar Shadaa) And the CGI's fit in this one, it's not like OMFG the I'm on is going down, but I've got 15-30 minutes doing it for the first time. As opposed to K2 stuff, '**** those cracked ships are going to destroy telos and I can't do ****, hey look, the republic is here to kick their ass!'

then why not just chalk it up to a typo and deal with it? Because come on is it really going to cause the world to end if some people decide to not double check what they are posting?

Yes, it will. I've seen it too many times, and, funnily enough, it's always by people who are proclaiming the superiority of the first Kotor to the second. It just seems like people don't care enough about the game to spell the names correctly. It's not that hard to look something up if you're unsure of the spelling.

I slightly prefer KOTOR1 though both are good games. Still:

JE > KOTOR series :shifty:"

'Okay, your bias is understood but you must see that LA just wasn't being fair. Kotor 2 could have been the game of the year no doubt no questions asked if given more time. Obsidian had 13 months, started late 2003 and finished late 2004. Bioware started work in 2001 and finished in 2003. Holy freaking cow."

Let's not forget that BIO had to create the engine, the rules, and pretty much everything. Obsidian basically had all that stuff doen for them. That surely saved thema lot of time alone. I think the comparison is absolutely fair.

DWARVES IN PROJECT ETERNITY = VOLOURN HAS PLEDGED $250.

Okay, your bias is understood but you must see that LA just wasn't being fair. Kotor 2 could have been the game of the year no doubt no questions asked if given more time. Obsidian had 13 months, started late 2003 and finished late 2004. Bioware started work in 2001 and finished in 2003. Holy freaking cow.

Do you know how much better this game would be? That and, those CGI's kicked ass. Much better than the first, they also have reason and story added to them. With Kotor it was like, okay story here, now go to some planets and play with yourself, then some more story, then more playing with yourself, then a boring uninteresting planet, then end story (note: I love Kotor, I've beaten it 15+ times)

While in K2, these planets are interesting (except for Nar Shadaa) And the CGI's fit in this one, it's not like OMFG the I'm on is going down, but I've got 15-30 minutes doing it for the first time. As opposed to K2 stuff, '**** those cracked ships are going to destroy telos and I can't do ****, hey look, the republic is here to kick their ass!'

Your right if OE was given the same three years I would doubt that we would be seeing the same ammount of flames over how much someone dissliked K2 or how empty it seemed, there would still be those merry few who derive pleasure from berating a persons hardwork but they would be few and far between. The thing is that OE knew the time schedule from the moment they signed the contract with LA, they should have maybe asked for more time another year would have done wonders for the game and for the most part the gammers would have understood. Now this is all assuming that LA would have said ok to them taking another year to finish the game and since KOTOR is a cash cow and LA was dying to cash in on it again it seems unlikely that they would have said "go a head take another year and do it right, chris, we need this to be a game that the gamers will remember." I just hope LA doesn't treat whoever is doing K3 with the same dissrespect that seemed to treat OE, and I hope OE has learned from the misstakes that were made with K2 so they don't repeat them in future games.

AscendedPaladin.png

Yes, it will. I've seen it too many times, and, funnily enough, it's always by people who are proclaiming the superiority of the first Kotor to the second. It just seems like people don't care enough about the game to spell the names correctly. It's not that hard to look something up if you're unsure of the spelling.

so you can't find away to argue with someones reasons for liking K2 over K1, so you decide to attack their spelling? gee that makes a lot of sense. :shifty:

AscendedPaladin.png

so you can't find away to argue with someones reasons for liking K2 over K1, so you decide to attack their spelling? gee that makes a lot of sense.  :shifty:

I hijacked the thread. Anyone can like either of the games better than the other until the cows come home, I'm not going to argue that. All I was doing was letting off some steam in regards to a common mistake that is made around here.

I think some scenes (aside from the Ravager blowing up) of the battle taking place would of been great, it would be nice to see the last Republic-sith battle of this time era.. it's a good bet that we won't see anymore grey cones anymore.

Your right if OE was given the same three years I would doubt that we would be seeing the same ammount of flames over how much someone dissliked K2 or how empty it seemed, there would still be those merry few who derive pleasure from berating a persons hardwork but they would be few and far between. The thing is that OE knew the time schedule from the moment they signed the contract with LA, they should have maybe asked for more time another year would have done wonders for the game and for the most part the gammers would have understood. Now this is all assuming that LA would have said ok to them taking another year to finish the game and since KOTOR is a cash cow and LA was dying to cash in on it again it seems unlikely that they would have said "go a head take another year and do it right, chris, we need this to be a game that the gamers will remember." I just hope LA doesn't treat whoever is doing K3 with the same dissrespect that seemed to treat OE, and I hope OE has learned from the misstakes that were made with K2 so they don't repeat them in future games.

Time wouldn't of made a difference for the main story besides for an ending..

Well they could actually put items where they belong (no random loot generator) and the extra convos.

But you have to argue that the story is isn't the most interesting or strongest.

Plus in 3 years the Kotor Engine graphics would be seriously outdated. Heck when Xbox 2 comes out in summer-Christmas the graphics for both games would be considered outdated..

Have you seen screenshots of Obivilion for xbox? It's simply beautiful and stunning.

The graphics for Knights of the old republic is going to have to be upgraded to compete with other games today..

Sorry guys but story isn't the most important aspect for games, atleast for the common masses.