gay Star Wars?

This is just a rumor but I heard that one of the reasons that Bioware was not assigned to the production of the second installment of Knights of The Old Republic was do to a conflict of interest. One of them being a choice to pursue a homosexual romance like we see in the latest production from Bioware

I don't really know either way, but it would surprise me if it was even an issue. I mean Lucasarts published Kevin J. Anderson's books and they're totally gay.

People laugh when I say that I think a jellyfish is one of the most beautiful things in the world. What they don't understand is, I mean a jellyfish with long, blond hair.

This is just a rumor but I heard that one of the reasons that Bioware was not assigned to the production of the second installment of Knights of The Old Republic was do to a conflict of interest. One of them being a choice to pursue a homosexual romance like we see in the latest production from Bioware

MY PHOTORECEPTORS!

I thought Lesiban was homosexuality  :wacko:

Only by women and christians, and when the girls are ugly

People laugh when I say that I think a jellyfish is one of the most beautiful things in the world. What they don't understand is, I mean a jellyfish with long, blond hair.

Jade Empire allows a gay romance option? (w00t)

I hadn't been bothering to play it, even though a friend left his XBox and the game at my place since release. Haven't really had time.

But I think this just provided me the extra impetus I needed.

Yay!

LOL, and here I thought it was the chopping off heads and all the blood that gave JE the M rating! LOL

The Gay aspect didnt even occur to me.

Well homosexual relationship is what gave JE a M rating...

What a society we live in that views love between two members of the same sex more abhorrent than the taking of a life. Yippie! :)"

I can't see homosexuality in a Star Wars context like that.

I think this sentiment would be a common one, and I think it likely stems from the fact that homosexuality is usually treated as inherently sexualised and immediately, directly associated with the raw act of copulation by much of western culture. Star Wars, antithetically, is a very intentionally desexualised universe. Homosexuality. It's even got it in the name. That's why I tend to use the term 'gay' by preference. A gay romance could just be a couple guys feeling romantic affection for one another. But call it homosexual and it's already got sex in it. It doesn't need to. There's no reason two male characters can't exchange words of affection, or maybe a kiss and make a romance of it. I hope that this sort of treatment becomes more acceptable. I'm quite alright with the fact that Star Wars is a sexually innocent universe, at least traditionally. But I'd like to see sexually innocent gay romanace options within it if it remains so.

I don't think Bioware did not developed K2 because LA allowed no gay romance ...

Bioware had to throw away a lot of great Story Elements in past games because of the license owners (Star Wars, AD&D) so they are able to stand restrictions.

It's just a rumour imo ....

Any developer, and especially one as young as Obsidian, has to be wary of attracting negative publicity because of this issue. No-one wants to be singled out by extremist Christians or others for the latest anti-liberal crusade. Sadly, that leads to gays being absent from games, reinforcing prejudice and exclusion in the real world. I'm amazed and impressed that Bioware have taken such a strong stance on this, relative to other developers.

"An electric puddle is not what I need right now." (Nina Kalenkov)

I think this sentiment would be a common one, and I think it likely stems from the fact that homosexuality is usually treated as inherently sexualised and immediately, directly associated with the raw act of copulation by much of western culture.  Star Wars, antithetically, is a very intentionally desexualised universe.  Homosexuality.  It's even got it in the name.  That's why I tend to use the term 'gay' by preference.  A gay romance could just be a couple guys feeling romantic affection for one another.  But call it homosexual and it's already got sex in it.  It doesn't need to.  There's no reason two male characters can't exchange words of affection, or maybe a kiss and make a romance of it.  I hope that this sort of treatment becomes more acceptable.  I'm quite alright with the fact that Star Wars is a sexually innocent universe, at least traditionally.  But I'd like to see sexually innocent gay romanace options within it if it remains so.

Well, it might be only me, but the word "gay" gives all sorts of connotations. I think homosexuality is a neutral word, and better suited than words of a more slangish character. But you have a point, of course.

Now, this is not to be regarded as an anti-homosexual post in any way, I'm all for love and trust and happy couples, no matter what their gender should happen to be. It is just difficult for me to envision this sort of thing happening within the framework of the Star Wars setting. I mean, you are very much correct that Star Wars is a very innocent universe, the love it depicts is "ideal" and fairy tale-ish, and a kiss is all you're going to see, no "conceptions".

Regardless or maybe because of this, I do not feel homosexuality has anything to contribute with in the setting. It doesn't fit. There is a prince gets princess or rascal gets princess quality to Star Wars romances. I feel the theme of family and children also is very prominent in the Star Wars universe, and as we know, this is a tricky point for homosexuals.

So there... My opinion.

I don't know if I buy that. It would be silly to have the Juhani romance option in KOTOR I, but then not allow a gay male romance option in KOTOR II. Like a previous poster said, it would have been an option, you wouldn't have to pursue it if you didn't want to. Thereby, it would have allowed both the conservatives and the straight men to play through without even noticing it was there.

I think that a gay romance option is completely disgusting. I don't mean any offense, I don't hate gay people or anything, but putting a gay romance option into a game, especially a Star Wars game, is just a no-go in my book. And can you imagine the kind of publicity it would get? You would have a lot of parents saying that the game is encouraging homsexual activity, and all that crap. If you want a gay romance, use KSE to modify your gender in the game accordingly. Just my .02.

War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. The decayed and degraded state of moral and patriotic feeling which thinks that nothing is worth war is much worse. The person who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing which is more important than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature and has no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself.

--John Stewart Mill--

"Victory was for those willing to fight and die. Intellectuals could theorize until they sucked their thumbs right off their hands, but in the real world, power still flowed from the barrel of a gun.....you could send in your bleeding-heart do-gooders, you could hold hands and pray and sing hootenanny songs and invoke the great gods CNN and BBC, but the only way to finally open the roads to the big-eyed babies was to show up with more guns."

--Black Hawk Down--

MySpace: http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm?fusea...iendid=44500195