VALVe breaks free

angshuman

Sorry if this is a repost. VALVe have settled their lawsuit against VU Games, and it seems VU will have nothing to do with HL2 after August. There have been several news articles on this today, here's the link to one of them:

http://www.theinquirer.net/?article=22918

Although I'm glad, I'm not quite sure about who the "David" was here and who the "Goliath" :)

Now, had Obsidian kicked LA's behind in this fashion, I would have thrown a party (w00t)

Angshuman

Any developers dream is to be able to independantly finance and release their games without the pressure and interfearance from a publisher.

But with companies like LucasArts and Atari that survive by owning licenses, developers dont even have the possibility of a choice. You want to make a Star Wars game, you have to go through LA. You want to make a D&D game, say hello to your new pal Atari.

EA though, is by far the worst now that they own the rights to every major sports thing on the planet.

DISCLAIMER: Do not take what I write seriously unless it is clearly and in no uncertain terms, declared by me to be meant in a serious and non-humoristic manner. If there is no clear indication, asume the post is written in jest. This notification is meant very seriously and its purpouse is to avoid misunderstandings and the consequences thereof. Furthermore; I can not be held accountable for anything I write on these forums since the idea of taking serious responsability for my unserious actions, is an oxymoron in itself.

Important: as the following sentence contains many naughty words I warn you not to read it under any circumstances; botty, knickers, wee, erogenous zone, psychiatrist, clitoris, stockings, bosom, poetry reading, dentist, fellatio and the department of agriculture.

"I suppose outright stupidity and complete lack of taste could also be considered points of view. "

EA though, is by far the worst now that they own the rights to every major sports thing on the planet.

And yet they got owned by Konami's PES4. :huh:

- When he is best, he is a little worse than a man, and when he is worst, he is little better than a beast.

Valve are from now on going to be releasing only via Steam.  Steam is totally not a viable distribution source in at least 50% of the world.  Put that in your pipe and smoke it. 

<bitter because he won't be able to play the HL2 Expansion, Aftermath>

:'(

"Update: Also, for those of you worrying that we might be left with Steam as the only option for buying Valve games, I received this response from Doug Lombardi earlier:

We are making arrangements to continue retail distribution of our products post August 31. Should have more details to share soon."

Source: http://www.halflife2.net

Hadescopy.jpg

(Approved by Fio, so feel free to use it)

Valve are from now on going to be releasing only via Steam.  Steam is totally not a viable distribution source in at least 50% of the world.  Put that in your pipe and smoke it. 

<bitter because he won't be able to play the HL2 Expansion, Aftermath>

:'(

"Update: Also, for those of you worrying that we might be left with Steam as the only option for buying Valve games, I received this response from Doug Lombardi earlier:

We are making arrangements to continue retail distribution of our products post August 31. Should have more details to share soon."

Source: http://www.halflife2.net

YOU ARE THE MAN LOMBARDI!!!

Intresting, Im not sure to be happy or cry. Can you resell your gamesm can you lend it to a friend, can you trade it in. I am intrested in how other developers will handle these situations.

Steam charges $5 dollars to transfer the "title" to another person. Im uneasy because it may cause problems with time and trouble for the customer. Will our rights be trambled on?

Always outnumbered, never out gunned!

Unreal Tournament 2004 Handle:Enlight_2.0

Myspace Website!

My rig

Valve are from now on going to be releasing only via Steam.  Steam is totally not a viable distribution source in at least 50% of the world. 

Valve signed a multi-title distribution agreement with Activision a little while back (starting with the release of Day of Defeat), so I wouldn't worry too much about the retail market being neglected.

Steam charges $5 dollars to transfer the "title" to another person.

How does that work really? If I buy a new comp or a new network device, will I have to pay that?

(theoreticly speaking, I dont own Hl2)

DISCLAIMER: Do not take what I write seriously unless it is clearly and in no uncertain terms, declared by me to be meant in a serious and non-humoristic manner. If there is no clear indication, asume the post is written in jest. This notification is meant very seriously and its purpouse is to avoid misunderstandings and the consequences thereof. Furthermore; I can not be held accountable for anything I write on these forums since the idea of taking serious responsability for my unserious actions, is an oxymoron in itself.

Important: as the following sentence contains many naughty words I warn you not to read it under any circumstances; botty, knickers, wee, erogenous zone, psychiatrist, clitoris, stockings, bosom, poetry reading, dentist, fellatio and the department of agriculture.

"I suppose outright stupidity and complete lack of taste could also be considered points of view. "

Steam charges $5 dollars to transfer the "title" to another person.

How does that work really? If I buy a new comp or a new network device, will I have to pay that?

(theoreticly speaking, I dont own Hl2)

Steam is charging you for No its too change the name its under. if you keep the same name your straight. $5 too change/transfer anncount name.

Always outnumbered, never out gunned!

Unreal Tournament 2004 Handle:Enlight_2.0

Myspace Website!

My rig