Fav Half-Life2 Character

Which characters do you like the best?  

40 members have voted

1. 1. Which characters do you like the best?

• "the free man" (Gordan Freeman)
    • Dog
    • Alyx Vance
    • Barney Calhoun
    • Eli Vance
    • Dr Judith Mossman
    • Lamarr & Dr Kleiner
    • Father Grigori
    • G-Man
    • Other (anyone not mentioned)

The physics were a vital part of my enjoyment of HL2. It all depends on how you play the game. Once I obtained the gravity gun, I knew I HAD to play through the rest of the entire game. And I did for 99% of the time.

That's why I love HL2 deathmatch so much. In terms of features, it doesn't have much - pretty standard stuff. But the inclusion of a gravgun online makes for most visceral and hectic standoffs I've ever experienced online. Pummeling your friends with toilet seats is beyond words.

Hadescopy.jpg

(Approved by Fio, so feel free to use it)

You all made me do the unthinkable. I actually went out today and spent money on Half-Life 2. Worse than spending money on a firstperson shooter, I actually bought the Collecter's Edition. I am, without a doubt, on my way to perdition.

I hope you all take great pleasure in knowing you have managed to destroy my ideals.

Have fun! >_<

kirottu said:
I was raised by polar bears. I had to fight against blood thirsty wolves and rabid penguins to get my food. Those who were too weak to survive were sent to Sweden.

It has made me the man I am today. A man who craves furry hentai.

So let us go and embrace the rustling smells of unseen worlds

It's good buy, if not for anything else than the amazing quality of the incoming mods.

kirottu said:
I was raised by polar bears. I had to fight against blood thirsty wolves and rabid penguins to get my food. Those who were too weak to survive were sent to Sweden.

I haven't played much yet (I need to pay my girlfriend some attention via MSN first). The only thing that I found interesting up to this point was when I approached a Combine soldier and prodded him (clicked the 'Use' key) he activated this sort of cattle prod and hit me, then proceeded to chase me around. He wasn't giving up so I played along like any other opressed person in a totalitarian regime. I crouched and looked down.

The guy stopped, turned back and left me alone.

I have no idea if this was meant to happen, but it was funny.

I haven't played much yet (I need to pay my girlfriend some attention via MSN first). The only thing that I found interesting up to this point was when I approached a Combine soldier and prodded him (clicked the 'Use' key) he activated this sort of cattle prod and hit me, then proceeded to chase me around. He wasn't giving up so I played along like any other opressed person in a totalitarian regime. I crouched and looked down.

Keep going, you haven't even met any of the main characters yet. :D :cool:

Or gotten to the action for that matter. :blink:

For some reason HL2 hates me.

I've tried every single thing I could remember but it won't run well. Not in terms of performance (I'm quite pleased with the smoothness of it), but in terms of what appears to be a bug. Every time I get to a map's loading point, it crashes, freezes, or hard locks. When I restart and play again, it will uneventfully allow me to pass, only to do the same on the next stage.

It's gotten to the point where it did the same thing when I tried to load a game, and now does the same when I try to start it. This means, no HL2 for me until I figure this mess out.

Good grief.

I didn't like the good priest so much as I thought his character was the best for the story. Ravenhome was spooky and it wouldn't have been what it was without Father Grigori.

Fionavar's Holliday Wishes to all members of our online community:  Happy Holidays

Join the revelry at the Obsidian Plays channel:
Obsidian Plays

Remembering tarna, Phosphor, Metadigital, and Visceris.  Drink mead heartily in the halls of Valhalla, my friends!

I didn't like the good priest so much as I thought his character was the best for the story.  Ravenhome was spooky and it wouldn't have been what it was without Father Grigori.

The developers have said they regarded Ravenholm as the real beginning of the game; the antecedent is merely a prelude for the audience to familiarise themselves with the environment, tools and narrative.

Father Grigori was certainly a great NPC. Gotta love that G-man, though: a new archetype for the modern age, the faceless, menacing beauracrat with unknown power and motivations -- I don't remember that from the classics ...

OBSCVRVM PER OBSCVRIVS ET IGNOTVM PER IGNOTIVS

ingsoc.gif

OPVS ARTIFICEM PROBAT

(I need to pay my girlfriend some attention via MSN first)

^The ultimate sign you're a true internet geek.

Or his girlfriend is. :lol:

I thought I was far gone, at least my idea of a night out is still dinner and a movie.

Now if I could just work my nerve up to talk to more girls that were...available.

Indeed the developers put this little bit in as a taste of the posibilities of the new engine. What they were amazed to find was how much role-playing was done by everyone in this tiny event, some people refused to pick up the litter, some ran away, some stoically took the beatings ...

Unfortunately there aren't many more incidents like this (you can, however, interrogate your allies at various points throughout the game for more plot details throughout the game); you merely play out a specific (main protagonist) role in the narrative. If only they had some alternate paths through the game (rather than just the one), then they would have devised a cogent role playing game (albeit only a "good" path: no evil Gordons out there).

Let's hope a new role-playing game built on the engine is coming soon...

(I need to pay my girlfriend some attention via MSN first)

^The ultimate sign you're a true internet geek.

Or his girlfriend is. :)

I thought I was far gone, at least my idea of a night out is still dinner and a movie.

Now if I could just work my nerve up to talk to more girls that were...available.

Or maybe she's playing Counter-Strike...

ingsoc.gif

OPVS ARTIFICEM PROBAT

Let's hope a new role-playing game built on the engine is coming soon...

Arx 2 looms on the horizon...

kirottu said:

We haven't had enough time to spend together lately, and since she lives in Nowhereville, Farashelltown, it remains one of our optimal means of communication. If we had the means, we wouldn't need to converse trough msn that much, if at all.

By the way; why the Salad Fingers avatar?

kirottu said:

You like rusty spoons and have curious habits?

kirottu said:

So, I love a fast and furious frag fest (mostly due to the alliteration), and, constrastingly, I'm more than anything else a CRPGer, so I enjoy good character development for its own sake, but I really have no place at all in my heart for the contrived scripted "things jump out at you" events of survival horror (think Doom 3) or tiresome "flip the switch/walk on the pressure plates/open the door" style puzzles of Action-Adventure (think Ocarina of Time).

Does HL2 in the opinion of the gamers here have the visceral impact and speed that, for example, Doom had and Unreal didn't? Or is it thick enough in RPG or story-telling elements that those are worthwhile for their own sake?

So, I love a fast and furious frag fest (mostly due to the alliteration), and, constrastingly, I'm more than anything else a CRPGer, so I enjoy good character development for its own sake, but I really have no place at all in my heart for the contrived scripted "things jump out at you" events of survival horror (think Doom 3) or tiresome "flip the switch/walk on the pressure plates/open the door" style puzzles of Action-Adventure (think Ocarina of Time). 

Does HL2 in the opinion of the gamers here have the visceral impact and speed that, for example, Doom had and Unreal didn't?  Or is it thick enough in RPG or story-telling elements that those are worthwhile for their own sake?

The attraction of λ2 is the immersion afforded by the realistic physics (cf. the silly physical interactions on Deus Ex:IW), great graphics (better than Doom3 if you have a top end Radeon), interesting plot (really a continuation of λ) in concert with realistic AI (so that packs of enemies actively hunt you down, whereas single foes will run away if injured).

there is a terrific variety of environments (vehicles, terrain) and weapons -- playing with the Zero Point Enegy Manipulator (aka Gravity Gun) alone is worth buying the game for: slicing through zombies with bandsaw blades. (Valve have said in a recent interview that they don't regard the game to have started until Ravenholm.)

It is the only game I have consistently replayed since I purchased it. And there is two new expansions due out imminently: one (displaying a new lighting technology, called "The Lost Coast") is free and no word on pricing for "Aftermath".

ingsoc.gif

OPVS ARTIFICEM PROBAT

Valve just rocks with their consumer support. I mean, free quality stuff and dev tools? Wicked.

kirottu said: