Fav Half-Life2 Character

Which characters do you like the best?  

40 members have voted

1. 1. Which characters do you like the best?

• "the free man" (Gordan Freeman)
    • Dog
    • Alyx Vance
    • Barney Calhoun
    • Eli Vance
    • Dr Judith Mossman
    • Lamarr & Dr Kleiner
    • Father Grigori
    • G-Man
    • Other (anyone not mentioned)

HL2 has some of the coolest characters, they did a brilliant job allover. Anyway, most other action games I've played didn't have as in depth and fun characters, but these ones really had personality in my opinion. :blink:

There is also Odessa Cubbage, Dr Wallace Breen, the Vortigaunts, the Citizens and the Antlions, but I ran out of space. :p

Just pick 'other' for these and mention which you chose out of them. :cool:

I have yet to play the full game much, but...

Alyx :blink:

kirottu said:
I was raised by polar bears. I had to fight against blood thirsty wolves and rabid penguins to get my food. Those who were too weak to survive were sent to Sweden.

It has made me the man I am today. A man who craves furry hentai.

So let us go and embrace the rustling smells of unseen worlds

And here I thought that HL2 sucked as far as history and characters go... :(

The dog was the only "character" that was worth mentioning. Interestingly enough, he doesn't utter as much as a single word in the whole game.

- When he is best, he is a little worse than a man, and when he is worst, he is little better than a beast.

I voted for Judith - Alyx didn't do much for me but Judith looked reasonably hot, was a good scientist and also had a dark side.

It works for me.

Although I couldn't understand why the girls all seemed to be fighting over a gimp like Gordan... :(

What is this? Thread about characters in a popular FPS made into a forum full of fanatical rpg-junkies...and no flaming yet? :D

kirottu said:
I was raised by polar bears. I had to fight against blood thirsty wolves and rabid penguins to get my food. Those who were too weak to survive were sent to Sweden.

Gotta go with Alyx...I'm such a sucker

"Of course the people don't want war. But after all, it's the leaders of the country who determine the policy, and it's always a simple matter to drag the people along whether it's a democracy, a fascist dictatorship, or a parliament, or a communist dictatorship. Voice or no voice, the people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders. That is easy. All you have to do is tell them they are being attacked, and denounce the pacifists for lack of patriotism, and exposing the country to greater danger."

- Herman Goering at the Nuremberg trials

"I have also been slowly coming to the realisation that knowledge and happiness are not necessarily coincident, and quite often mutually exclusive" - meta

I must go with Dog. I was so amazed the first time I met him, that huge pile of junk metal. He moves sooo good, and the interaction between him and Alyx is fantastic. Then, later, when you get to play throw-and-fetch with him.. wow.. Just wow.

It's just too bad he's only used a few times during the actual game, although when he is being used, it's some of the most intense and cinematic experiences in the entire game.

Dog for president!

Swedes, go to: Spel2, for the latest game reviews in swedish!

Today's pointless non-contribution to the thread:

The only HL related games Ive ever played are CS and Day of Defeat.

(no, I did not play the original HL singleplayer)

DISCLAIMER: Do not take what I write seriously unless it is clearly and in no uncertain terms, declared by me to be meant in a serious and non-humoristic manner. If there is no clear indication, asume the post is written in jest. This notification is meant very seriously and its purpouse is to avoid misunderstandings and the consequences thereof. Furthermore; I can not be held accountable for anything I write on these forums since the idea of taking serious responsability for my unserious actions, is an oxymoron in itself.

Important: as the following sentence contains many naughty words I warn you not to read it under any circumstances; botty, knickers, wee, erogenous zone, psychiatrist, clitoris, stockings, bosom, poetry reading, dentist, fellatio and the department of agriculture.

"I suppose outright stupidity and complete lack of taste could also be considered points of view. "

I voted for Judith - Alyx didn't do much for me but Judith looked reasonably hot, was a good scientist and also had a dark side.

It works for me.

Although I couldn't understand why the girls all seemed to be fighting over a gimp like Gordan... :(

Cos Gordan is the strong silent type, seriously though he never talks AND he's a ONE-MAN-ARMY (w00t) :p

Wow, Father Grigori is winning so far! :)

I would have expected it to be either Alyx or Dog in the lead. :o :cool:

I liked the dialogue about "the cat", between that scientist dude, Barney and Alyx (and Gordon). Barney: "Did you hear a cat just now?"

I just have one question, I've seen several people on the internet call Gordon Freeman "Gordan". GordAn? Is that a typo, or is it some HL-fan thing that I've missed out on? :wub:

I assure you, I shall continue to call Gordon by his true name regardless.

Maybe they try to pass-by filters, you know.

kirottu said:

I downloaded the Hl2 demo today to see what all the hype was about, the gameplay is good but the engine have nothing on ID Software or CryTek. Sure, there's some bumpmapping and hi-res textures but nothing groundbreaking.

(I used a Radeon X800 256 GFX with 6x AA, 16xAF in 1024x768)

DISCLAIMER: Do not take what I write seriously unless it is clearly and in no uncertain terms, declared by me to be meant in a serious and non-humoristic manner. If there is no clear indication, asume the post is written in jest. This notification is meant very seriously and its purpouse is to avoid misunderstandings and the consequences thereof. Furthermore; I can not be held accountable for anything I write on these forums since the idea of taking serious responsability for my unserious actions, is an oxymoron in itself.

Important: as the following sentence contains many naughty words I warn you not to read it under any circumstances; botty, knickers, wee, erogenous zone, psychiatrist, clitoris, stockings, bosom, poetry reading, dentist, fellatio and the department of agriculture.

"I suppose outright stupidity and complete lack of taste could also be considered points of view. "

Supposedly, the best feature of the Source engine was the advanced physics. Those are far better than in any other game I've played.

- When he is best, he is a little worse than a man, and when he is worst, he is little better than a beast.

I downloaded the Hl2 demo today to see what all the hype was about, the gameplay is good but the engine have nothing on ID Software or CryTek. Sure, there's some bumpmapping and hi-res textures but nothing groundbreaking.

(I used a Radeon X800 256 GFX with 6x AA, 16xAF in 1024x768)

Well the grafics renderer of all of those three engines can produce the same results as far as I know. Source renders a hell of a lot faster than doom 3 for me though. I also prefer the design choices Valve did by not putting specularity/glossyness 100% on everything including trashcans and the trash within :thumbsup:

I'm not sure how good the physics engine in Doom 3 is, because it's like totally not used at all. Crytek's physics engine is awesome, but Havoc in HL2 is used to create more life-like physics.

HL2 runs faster than both Doom 3 and Far Cry on my system. I could play in preposterous resolutions with everything maxed and still have more FPS than I knew what to do with (until I downloaded the latest ATI drivers... now the FPS is high, but the game lags every 0.5 seconds).

I suppose Doom 3 runs slower (on my machine at least) because every single surface is normalmapped (as opposed to Far cry and HL2, where they just normal map things they feel need to be).

I played through HL2 without falling asleep, whilst Doom 3 was an interesting commercial for ID's new engine the first 100 dark corridors. Far Cry is a damn entertaining game... don't like the near immortal supermutants, but daamn do I love the open terrain :D .

Also, Doom 3 - same AI as doom 1, as where Far Cry and HL2 both -have- AI.

However, I have to agree that with both Far cry and doom 3 already out on the market, HL2 didn't showcase anything groundbreaking... other than the physics engine which I think performs better than Far Cry's physics engine (which says a lot). Note however that Valve didn't make Havoc. (HavoK?)

EDIT:

(visual) Designwise, I'd have to say that HL2 is the best game out of those 3. It seems that the hype about games (at least Firstperson shooter games) these days is more about the engine than the actual game. And often it's the gfx renderer that's in focus.

Yeah, I was far more impressed by Far Cry than any of the other tech demos. Of course, it was the first one out in the "new generation" graphics engines, but still..

I never felt they took advantage of the physics enough in Half-Life 2. Sure, it may look great, but only a few times were the physics vital to the gameplay (just as in Far Cry).

Doom 3 wasn't even worth mentioning.

Swedes, go to: Spel2, for the latest game reviews in swedish!