Musopticon?'s insane idea

Star Wars d20 works fine, it does the job.

Watering down just creates problems, take a look at power attack.

In Star Wars d20 that is a pre-requisite to the cleave feat, the cleave feat allows in the case you kill a enemy to make a attack on another enemy close by, its a good feat.

Of course in Star Wars d20 you dont get the "spell" force powers, things are handled completly diferent and you dont get a mana bar either, force takes vitality points

drakron.png

The problem is Star Wars d20 that feat does nothing on itself besides allowing to select some classes, its also only avaible at character generation and no class gives that feat.

In "KotOR" d20 they made all feats do something, problem is that some d20 feats are not very good and they serve most to unlock other feats that are very useful.

The problem in doing a game based in d20 is that you simply cannot rip it apart to please the "casual gamers", its simply going to break down the system to pointless.

Look at KotOR(s), none of the attack feats were any good since they were irrelevent in combat.

That pretty much sums it up. I think you can get the "Force sensitive" feat at levelup, though.

As for the topic itself, I think it could be interesting, but it would need to be done very well. Sure, SW is all about the Force and stuff, but DF had none of that and it was a great hit. It ended up being about the Force and whatnot but that's beside the point.

- When he is best, he is a little worse than a man, and when he is worst, he is little better than a beast.

*looks at numberman's avatar*

You too? :ermm:

Thanks for the replies everyone. It's great to see people's views on this.

kirottu said:
I was raised by polar bears. I had to fight against blood thirsty wolves and rabid penguins to get my food. Those who were too weak to survive were sent to Sweden.

It has made me the man I am today. A man who craves furry hentai.

So let us go and embrace the rustling smells of unseen worlds

I didn't mean that, I meant that the SW universe has a lot more to offer than only jedis. Let me play as a non-jedi and have almost-forceless story to boot. Like, if put IWD and BG side by side; the other one has awesome spell fights, avatars and prophecies, and the other one has normal dudes and combat needs some tactics.

Though what you're proposing could be interesting.

Almost 300 posts!

no it doesn't :D

the whole turn-on for people was the way you could play as a jedi and develop your powers through the game, i would've been bored as hell if i was forced to play as some han solo type character with a blaster for the entire game

I don't think I would buy a SW game if it didn't have Jedi in it as playable characters. That's about 90% of the appeal of the whole thing to me. The other ten percent is reserved for Leia in her slave outfit and the dancer uniform from K2.

bnwdancer9ma7pk.gif

Jaguars4ever is still alive.  No word of a lie.

Does a roleplaying game set in the Old Republic Era, which doesn't have it's focus set on jedis, sound like a bad idea? I haven't played the second one yet, but KotOR 1 suffered a little storywise, when the whole center of the universe seemed to be the Force. Almost everything was force-related some way or the other. Bioware tried to have love in the mix(and failed), but when the player character's only way of advancement seemed to be the exalted way of force-munchkinism, not much could be done.

How about the more normal dudes? Mercenaries, hackers, techies, soldiers etc? The ones which you happened to have with you on the party, but never got the change to fully play as? How about an IWD-like approach? Have a band of bounty hunters stumble on to something Big. IWD managed to tell a good story without avatar-like powers and earth-shattering destinies. KotOR did it with the NPCs's own stories, but not with the main plotline.

Please don't analyze this word by word, just give me opinions.

This has been talked about a lot of times. I've mentioned a few times I'd love to be able to play a game where Jedi/Sith/Force sensitives aren't the main focus of the story. But I think the consensus is that Lucasarts would never go for it because they feel that "Force sells".

"Console exclusive is such a harsh word." - Darque

"Console exclusive is two words Darque." - Nartwak (in response to Darque's observation)

Well, they just did. Republic Commando doesn't have a single Force user in the whole game. Granted, it's not a RPG, but it's a SW game where the Force doesn't play a fundamental role.

Not that it was such a great game anyway, but that's beside the point... :thumbsup:"

- When he is best, he is a little worse than a man, and when he is worst, he is little better than a beast.

Does a roleplaying game set in the Old Republic Era, which doesn't have it's focus set on jedis, sound like a bad idea? (...)

How about the more normal dudes? Mercenaries, hackers, techies, soldiers etc? The ones which you happened to have with you on the party, but never got the change to fully play as? How about an IWD-like approach? Have a band of bounty hunters stumble on to something Big. IWD managed to tell a good story without avatar-like powers and earth-shattering destinies. KotOR did it with the NPCs's own stories, but not with the main plotline.

Please don't analyze this word by word, just give me opinions.

It's a good, even if not unheard of, idea. One thing that generally puts me off in Star Wars games is being forced to play as a Jedi, when the whole universe and mythos are deeper than that, with many more characters and possibilities.

Well, they just did. Republic Commando doesn't have a single Force user in the whole game. Granted, it's not a RPG, but it's a SW game where the Force doesn't play a fundamental role.

Not that it was such a great game anyway, but that's beside the point... :)"

True. But he was (I'm assuming) talking specifically about RPGs, which, more often than not, have a focus on "magic".

"Console exclusive is two words Darque." - Nartwak (in response to Darque's observation)

I think the bottom line is: Yes, you can make a SW RPG that is party-based and not based on an epic PC.  As long as it is "possible" to play as a Jedi, it would sell.

Also, don't forget, you can have washed-up Jedis in you party (like Jolee, for instance).

But Jolee, for all intents and purposes, was a Jedi. Atleast, he had the same kind of Force power ability as any "active" Jedi.

I think the idea is great. I'd much rather play one of the "grunts" in the Star Wars universe. I mean, Star Wars doesn't stand and fall with the Force. The Star Wars universe is so fleshed out and interesting in its own right, that no matter who your character ends up being, it would still be awesome to solve quests, travel between distant planets and explore all those diverse cultures seen in the movies. Also, not being a Jedi (or Sith), might make the game less "high flying" and easier (at least for me) to associate with. Not to mention more original.

Swedes, go to: Spel2, for the latest game reviews in swedish!

And infinitely less appealing to the masses. I suggest you check the K2 boards again. It won't take you long to find a thread singing the exploits of the fabled Lord Revan and even more so about the latest munchkin known only as "exile". :huh:

Bejaysus I hate Star Wars. I really do.

So a SW game that has nothing to do with, er, Star Wars gets a big thumbs up from me! Genius!

The only game I'd be interested in Anti-Ewok Erstatzkommando, where your imperial stormtroopers engage on ethically questionable "mopping-up" operations against everybody's favourite sci-fi ninja teddy-bears. Mwuahahaahhaaaa!!!

Or a Leisure Suit Larry type game in Jabba's den, with Carrie Fisher wearing the metal bikini. Yeah, I'd buy that for a dollar.

Cheers

MC

sonsofgygax.JPG

I think a smuggler who tries to make money would be good. Upgrade your ship, make it faster, better turretsm better hiden compartments.

Smuggler, eh? I can see it now, in honour of its predecessor, Privateer II: Maybe If We Sell This Game Under the Wing Commander License People Will Buy It For No Good Reason, it's a worthy threequel to the classic space smuggler/mercenary game, Privateer III: Nothing Going For It But The Star Wars Name.

One thing a non-force sensitive PC has going for it is the legitimization of ranged combat. I'm sorry, but if I know I'm getting a lightsaber later, I'm not spending feats on rapid shot or blaster specialization. I'm sorry, I'm just not.

The idea of a level 20 dedicated scoundrel or soldier is interesting, but the masses aren't gonna buy a SW RPG with not a lightsaber to be found.

Maybe this could be a solution to the huge storyline questions posed for KOTOR 3. New PC flies with a motley crew of new and returning characters to find out what happened to the Exile who went to find out what happened to Revan. This way you get your "regular Joe" PC and you get some Jedi NPCs. Of course, if you get those royal badasses to join with you, your pitiful new PC will soon be relegated to rotating stock in the Hawk's pantry.

baby, take off your beret

everyone's a critic and most people are DJs

One thing a non-force sensitive PC has going for it is the legitimization of ranged combat. I'm sorry, but if I know I'm getting a lightsaber later, I'm not spending feats on rapid shot or blaster specialization. I'm sorry, I'm just not.

The idea of a level 20 dedicated scoundrel or soldier is interesting, but the masses aren't gonna buy a SW RPG with not a lightsaber to be found.

Maybe this could be a solution to the huge storyline questions posed for KOTOR 3. New PC flies with a motley crew of new and returning characters to find out what happened to the Exile who went to find out what happened to Revan. This way you get your "regular Joe" PC and you get some Jedi NPCs. Of course, if you get those royal badasses to join with you, your pitiful new PC will soon be relegated to rotating stock in the Hawk's pantry.

I don't think that KOTOR III would be the best place to introduce non-Force using PCs. If KOTOR III is the conclusion of the story arch we are in now (and it darn well better be), we are going to need a powerful epic PC for that.

However, beyond KOTOR III, I am hoping for less epic stories and less epic PCs.

You *can* be a Force-user but you don't have to. And indeed, it would be nice to, once in a while, have a PC that gets really good at ranged combat, stealth, etc.