When it all comes down to KOTOR II!

Guest MacleodCorp

I played it. And I was disappointed. Which is putting it lightly. I spent $70 on it, and I'm still kicking myself over it. It's fun to play, but definately not to own. No effing duh it started at the beginning. Read what I said. :-

Everything happens all at once. It's just bang bang bang, you're done. I was shocked that the only place you go to is the Imperial City. I thought that you'd have to search around for other wind maps to EVENTUALLY get to the Imperial City. But you're almost immediately put in there.

The twists come about half-way through the actual game. Unforunately, that's about 16 hours of total play. And that's including smoke breaks and food. So it only took me 8 hours to come to the big twist. The game went by much too fast. It should have been stretched out way more.

I found it very superficial. But don't get me wrong, I really do like the game. It IS fun and it's pretty and the story is good. But much too condensed . . . like concentrated orange juice o_O It's okay when you're used to it. The game's good, but not great.

When it all comes down to KOTOR II!

[text snip]

[/b]Did you enjoy playing the game?...Did you have fun?...

I shore the hell did! How about you? (w00t)

You are sooo right. People shouldn't judge what the game 'should/could have been', but what actually the game 'is'.

But unfortunately, as far as I'm concerned, what the game 'is' didn't provide me much fun or enjoyment. At times, it was very close to 'annoying routine'. Thus, in the end, I didn't like this game much.

-IMO-

-peace-

At least JADE Empire is pretty playable and very well polished game

and with a better ending

While KOTOR 2 still has serious bugs even with latest patch and it's ending SUCKS <_<

Between KOTOR 2 and JADE EMPIRE i would choose

JADE EMPIRE:(

because it reminds me how well polished was KOTOR 1 from Bioware :-

(Bless

I DO have an idea what I'm talking about. Yes, I know I need to play more, and I want to play more and I have a few more characters I've been playing with. That still doesn't change the fact that it's a very concentrated story. Is it bad? No. It's fun. I've said that. Yes, it actually has an ending. That's good. It wraps itself up. That's good. What's bad is that I was severely disappointed. And no matter how many times you guys tell me I'm "wrong" and that I "haven't played" it doesn't change the fact that the game does not match the hype. With the reviews and such that I read, I was expecting a much grander game. I didn't get it. I was mad. Don't tell me I'm wrong.

Because your comment sounds from a man that has only played with it no more than half an hour
^^ What man? Oh, and I already said it took me only 16 hours to play. Trust me, I'd love to be wrong and have missed another 16 hours of the gameplay, but I highly doubt it.

"Don't tell me I'm wrong."

We are going to tell you are wrong when you make things up like 'you have no choices'. That's balony and anyone who has played the game knows that. So, either youa re flat out lying or you haven't played it. Take your pick.

DWARVES IN PROJECT ETERNITY = VOLOURN HAS PLEDGED $250.

Speaking of endings, the ending in JE reminded me so much of the KOTOR ending, where the "saviours of the world" are standing in front of a mass of people and getting congratulated. Atleast this time BioWare wrote epilogues for each of the characters.

To be honest, I was a bit surprised at how few places you actually visit. I guess it's because there was mention of other locations, like Phoenix Gate, and various mentions of the prosperous west, or whatever, so I was expecting we'd visit each of them.

"Console exclusive is such a harsh word." - Darque

"Console exclusive is two words Darque." - Nartwak (in response to Darque's observation)

Yeah, the endings in JE I think were a little *too* similar to the LOTR endings. Except in the 3rd ending which I think 99.9% of players would *never8 choose except out of curoisty. I guess BIO added that one so people cna look at them weird. LOL

I'm not too surprised that we didn't get to visit all the palces mentioned as BIO has already said that they hope that both JE and DA become long term franchises...

DWARVES IN PROJECT ETERNITY = VOLOURN HAS PLEDGED $250.

I'm not too surprised that we didn't get to visit all the palces mentioned as BIO has already said that they hope that both JE and DA become long term franchises...

I didn't know that going in, so I figured JE was a one trick pony and they'd put all their eggs in one basket (cool, two cliches in one sentence). I was just a bit surprised that we went from the school, to Tien's Landing, directly to IC. After that, the game reached its climax and was playing out the ending.

"Console exclusive is such a harsh word." - Darque

"Console exclusive is two words Darque." - Nartwak (in response to Darque's observation)

"BG2 (just look at the number of fixes in Baldurdash),"

BG2 wasn't buggy. Baldurdash is full of crap. I played the game multiple times, and quite frnakly its lists of bugs are either rules changes or simply not bugs

In that case, I love that crap. Part of my install ritual for BG2/ToB is to install some of the individual files from Baldurdash, that are actual bugfixes (no silly ease of use stuff or weird re-balancing junk). 171 bugfixes installed from that folder where I keep them.

"Kotor1 (which after 3 patches still has a game stopping bug in the middle)"

KOTOR had bugs; but nowhere near the level of KOTOR2. That's a fact.

Thats because you are one of the lucky ones. If you had to deal with the Leviathan bug (which was a gamestopper unless you had a bit of tech knowhow, not unlike the SoL bug in unpatched VMBL), you "might" think differently... :shifty:

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

There we go, someone else said it. Ghost of Anakin, that's exactly what I was talking about. You go to three places, and CAN'T CHOOSE. Don't tell me I haven't played and that I'm a liar. Tell me what you can choose. Tell me right now where the hell I can choose to go and I'll shut up. Tell me why I have to drag my butt through a game multiple times before I really enjoy it. That's not how it is -- I played and I have an opinion. It's too effing linear. That's my first impression. Maybe it'll change as I become more . . .seasoned at the game. But my first impression stands. No matter how many times you guys say I didn't play it. I did. Hell, I could post all sorts of spoilers, but I don't need you guys to validate me. Do I piss you off because I won't bend to your way of thinking? Is that it? Because I won't say that you're right? Because I know I'm right. This is what I thought while playing.

"Please don't let this be the ending. Please let this be a trick and you have to chase down Master Li around all sorts of places because he escapes you and come back to the palace later." That was at the final fight. Unforunately, I was wrong. I couldn't believe that was it. Tell me where the wiggle room in the game was. Tell me. And don't say "you get to choose open palm or closed fist" because you come across that no matter what, in conversation. So tell me guys. Where's are all these mysterious hours of play time I've missed? Where is the non-linear story? Where are all these places you get to go? Because, as you've said so many times, I've obviously not played because we really do get TONS of choice. So where's my choice? Hm?

Okay, the thread seems to have gone all Jade Empire, but I want to get back to KOTORII -- I loved this game, thought it rocked, until it was time to go back to the Enclave. Outside of the mandatory conversations with the major players (and Tobin), the character development comes to a dead stop. In most games, this wouldn't really bother me, but this one is really well-written until that point. The designers get you to actually care about what happens to these pixel-people only to leave you at the alter (if that makes any sense). The deus-ex-Traya at the end doesn't really help, either.

I know it has all been said before, but if I didn't enjoy the game so much, I wouldn't be so ticked off by the ending. Count me as another one of the crowd waiting on the Restoration Project in order to get more satisfaction out of it all.

Anyway, a thanks to Obsidian for all their great ideas, and a thanks to the modders out there who are working to make sure we get to see them all!!!

Cloris