Windows XP Professional x64 Edition

Hi,

Has anyone tried playing KoToRII on Windows XP Professional x64 Edition?

Does the game run?

The reason I ask is many people I know are planning to get the free (well, you have to pay for shipping) upgrade to x64 Pro.

http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/64bit/u...de/default.mspx

But doing so kills the license to Windows XP pro.

And from what I've read any program with old 16 bit coding in it

definitely will not work in x64. Some current 32 bit programs that

run in XP do have some old 16 bit code in them, apparently.

23u4g7t.jpg

I think it'll work, yeah. I don't know why BioWare or Obsidian would have put 16 bits code in their game. Remember, the engine was created in 2002 not 1995.

It's not just the coding. It's also the drivers.

http://www.pro-networks.org/forum/about51482-0.html

Here's just one sample list I found of programs that won't work:

ActiveSync 3.7.1, Microsoft

Alcohol 120%

acronis true image 8.0

Aquamark3 Benchmark

AVG

BlackICE PC Protection, 3.6.crj

Burn & Go Professional 1.0

CachemanXP

Check Point Enterprise Suite

Easy CD & DVD Creator 6

Easy CD Creator 5.3.1.154

ESET NOD32 for Windows operating systems

eTrust 7.0

eTrust EZ Antivirus 2005 6.2

Macromedia Flash 7.0 (IE 64 only)

McAfee VirusScan 7.02

MSI CoreCenter

Napster

Norman Internet Control 5.7

Norman Virus Control 5.7

Norton SystemWorks 2003

Norton Tiny Personal Firewall

Outpost Firewall

Panda AV

PhotoShop Album 2.0:

PhotoSuite 5.0

PhotoSuite Platinum Edition 7.0

Pinnacle Studio PCTV-Rave

Speedfan

Style XP

Sygate Personal Firewall

VideoWave Professional 7.0

WMP 10

WordPerfect Family Pack 5

ZoneAlarm Pro 4.5.538 and 4.5.594

Still feeling positive about your guess?

While many games do work fine under x64--not all do.

23u4g7t.jpg

YES.

I am running KOTOR I and II on XP 64 right now.

The big thing is... XP 64 has a native 32-bit mode where if the program was written in 32-bit mode, it will automatically switch to it like there is no difference.

Games, in general, are a little smoother and the OS is a little faster... But it is not some huge, uber jump in speed like if you upgrade your hardware, or something similar.

However, be aware that I have a dual boot with regular 32-Bit XP Pro because of the driver issue(s) as there are obviously a lot more programs and drivers for 32 than 64 and I need some stuff like CD burning and emulation and other programs that won't work on 64 right now.

I think Longhorn is going to be a completely different version of Windows XP 64 than XP Professional, correct?

The way I understand it is that these are two different platforms for different purposes -- The main one being XP 64 will be for high-end math and CAD type applications and number crunching and Longhorn for both business and home users that don't require that much power.

XP 64 is built on the Windows Server 2003 kernel (optimized for huge work loads) and Longhorn is not, correct?

And if you look at that large list of "unsupported" stuff, then you'll notice that none of them are games ;)

http://www.winsupersite.com/reviews/window...64_preview2.asp

"I also installed a large number of recently released video games, most of which worked just fine. Specifically, I installed Half-Life 2 (and the Steam application), Star Wars: Battlefront, Unreal Tournament 2004, Far Cry, DOOM 3, Painkiller, and Painkiller: Battle Out of Hell. All of these titles installed without a hitch, and most appear to run just fine. (I'm actually playing through the Painkiller expansion pack, Battle Out of Hell, for the first time now on the x64 system. It's been rock-solid.) DOOM 3 and Far Cry, however, wouldn't run initially. After I finally caved and installed ATI's beta video drivers, DOOM 3 started up without a hitch. But Far Cry refused to run. A day later, I mistakenly clicked on the Far Cry icon in the Start Menu while reaching for FrontPage. It ran, and ran fine. I have no idea why."

I have read on some boards about a few people who are having problems with different games on x64.

:blink:

This was the reply I received from Lucasarts, who don't appear to realize the game works on x64. This person didn't really answer my question and just states they won't support it on a x64 OS:

"Hello,

The program or hardware was not designed for and is not supported in Windows 2003 Server OS or XP 64 Bit. There is no plan to support this product in this environment. Windows 2003 Server and XP 64 Bit is designed as a Server OS, and was not intended as a gaming platform.

If you need further assistance, you can also reach us online at http://support.lucasarts.com. Please include all previous replies when/if responding to this message.

Best Regards,

xxxx at LucasArts Technical Support

-----------------------

Hello,

Does KotoR II (PC version) work on on Windows XP Professional x64 Edition?

If not, are there any future plans to ensure KotoR II will run on Windows

XP Professional x64 Edition?

23u4g7t.jpg

Somebody posted on an ATI forum claiming to be experiencing slideshow performance with Neverwinter Nights on Longhorn. Not sure if it's due to his system configuration or Longhorn.

OK, after reading the other messages, looks like I got Longhorn mixed up with Windows 64-bit. The problems were on Windows 64-bit rather than Longhorn. Since Windows 64-bit is designed as a server OS, why anyone would want to use it for gaming is beyond me.