Ancient Influence Question

I'm about to the point where I'll start influencing people, and I need a quick primer on it. The character build is, of course, a Dark Jedi, so here's the question:

I'm not very good at schizophrenia, so going around like a mix between Agent Smith for in-game actions and Hayley Mills for conversations with the party is difficult. So, I need to know how the influence scale works. Is it between "no influence" and "total influence", or does it work like the LS/DS scale, where you can have either total DS influence (represented by 'influence lost') or total LS influence (represented by 'influence gained')?

In other words, suppose we're dealing with Kreia. I treat her like dirt, being snappish and so forth. (Set aside for the moment that you have to show some strategic subtlety and nuanced nastiness.) I consistently get 'influence lost'. Now, does this mean that sooner or later she'll give me Dark Side results, or is it just that she won't do squat for me?

I'm aiming to turn the whole bloody party, including that annoying Bao Dur, into Dark Jedi. I've never managed to get anywhere with him or Visas Marr (reliably), so any assistance is appreciated.

I hope that's clear; I don't remember anyone really answering the question when I asked it last year. Thanks in advance for any responses; I appreciate the understanding. Hopefully this'll be enough to fill the question quota so that I can keep plowing through the Peragus depot and on to conquer the galaxy. Muahaha.

To tell you the truth, I had a bitch of a time turning characters as a Dark Side Exile. I tried to be a dark side meanie to all my characters, but I never lost enough influence to turn them. They all went darkside themselves, but they wouldn't turn. I've read in the forum somewhere that if you keep being a **** eventually you will bottom out the influence meter and they will turn, it just didn't work for me.

bnwdancer9ma7pk.gif

Jaguars4ever is still alive.  No word of a lie.

To tell you the truth, I had a bitch of a time turning characters as a Dark Side Exile.  I tried to be a dark side meanie to all my characters, but I never lost enough influence to turn them.  They all went darkside themselves, but they wouldn't turn.  I've read in the forum somewhere that if you keep being a **** eventually you will bottom out the influence meter and they will turn, it just didn't work for me.

I managed to get the lightest of em all into a Dark Jedi,the handmaiden became a Dark Jedi. :p

To tell you the truth, I had a bitch of a time turning characters as a Dark Side Exile.  I tried to be a dark side meanie to all my characters, but I never lost enough influence to turn them.  They all went darkside themselves, but they wouldn't turn.  I've read in the forum somewhere that if you keep being a **** eventually you will bottom out the influence meter and they will turn, it just didn't work for me.

I managed to get the lightest of em all into a Dark Jedi,the handmaiden became a Dark Jedi. :shifty:

It is even easier to do if you are a Sith Lord, because then you get the great power known as Dark Side Corruption. It helps everyone come around to your way of thinking very fast :devil:

I'm about to the point where I'll start influencing people, and I need a quick primer on it. The character build is, of course, a Dark Jedi, so here's the question:

I'm not very good at schizophrenia, so going around like a mix between Agent Smith for in-game actions and Hayley Mills for conversations with the party is difficult. So, I need to know how the influence scale works. Is it between "no influence" and "total influence", or does it work like the LS/DS scale, where you can have either total DS influence (represented by 'influence lost') or total LS influence (represented by 'influence gained')?

In other words, suppose we're dealing with Kreia. I treat her like dirt, being snappish and so forth. (Set aside for the moment that you have to show some strategic subtlety and nuanced nastiness.) I consistently get 'influence lost'. Now, does this mean that sooner or later she'll give me Dark Side results, or is it just that she won't do squat for me?

I'm aiming to turn the whole bloody party, including that annoying Bao Dur, into Dark Jedi. I've never managed to get anywhere with him or Visas Marr (reliably), so any assistance is appreciated.

I hope that's clear; I don't remember anyone really answering the question when I asked it last year. Thanks in advance for any responses; I appreciate the understanding. Hopefully this'll be enough to fill the question quota so that I can keep plowing through the Peragus depot and on to conquer the galaxy. Muahaha.

Visas Marr is easy to turn to the dark side. She was the first one to hit DS mastery in my whole party except the exile, of course. Bao-Dur, I haven't gotten anywhere with him. How do you turn him DS if he only gets influence from things that give you LS points?

EDIT: Whoops, I'm not in the spoilers forum... Possible spoilers all round.

The more influence you have with characters, the more do they follow your alignment. The things you need to do to gain influence with each character is the same whether you are DS or LS.

Each character has a number of 'influence points', being specific places where you need to do specific things to gain influence. Most of these 'influence points' can influence several characters, however only one of your current party members will gain at any one point. I've yet to find out how the game decides which character should get influence in those circumstances. That is, one specific thing could possibly win you influence with either Atton or Bao-Dur, but if both are in your party, one of them gets it and not the other. So if you're trying to gain influence with one particular character, it also matters who else you have with you at that time.

A weird thing is Kreia, who seems to affect other characters' influence triggers in some way, but again, I don't know how this works.

You do not need to get all of these influence points for each character. I think you only need to gain influence three times to turn a party member into a Jedi. If you have lost influence with them, you will of course need to get more. Number of times may vary for other party members, like Kreia, from whom you can get a backstory and some XP if you have enough influence.

Several people on these forums have stated that you can get the same effect if you lose enough influence, but I haven't tried that.

So, if you're DS and want influence with for instance T3, you will have to take a LS hit or two. This does not change if the character's alignment changes, like if T3 gets really DS (as he will if you are DS and have some influence with him).

Oh, and not all influence points with Bao are LS. At least one is DS, and at least one does not change your alignment at all.

I suggest getting an influence guide from a place like gamefaqs.com if you really want to gain all the influence you can, as trying and failing is mostly frustrating. And it's always a good idea to quick-save just before you do something that could gain/lose you influence or change your alignment, in case you pick the wrong convo option, or you want to try it out with different characters to see who gains/loses influence etc.

Let me see if I've got this right:

-The objective is always to gain influence.

-Once you have enough influence and get somewhere with a party member, only then does the game get interested in your DS/LS alignment. Something like, "OK, so The Exile has sufficient influence with Atton Rand to do something. By the way, what's the alignment?" The answer to that question then determines your potential course of action, correct?

OK, that clears up a lot of confusion on my part, and the gamefaqs suggestion---dunno how I didn't think of that before---was key to getting me over this. I appreciate the responses; you've made a shaping-up-to-be-difficult day go a little easier. :D

Cheers to all respondents! You're all nominated for cabinet positions once this particular play-through rules the galaxy. :)

wahts ridiculous is when playing as a dark jedi the party members, who were all darkside as well, came up to me and told me that Kreia was corrupting me and my face was all f'ed up and ugly; even though their's was to. I think that their voices shoudl be synthesized teh darker they get and it shoudl change their dialougue a little bit. It woudl not be THAT difficult to do and would protect a fully dark and trained handmaiden from complaining when i hurt an old man on teh street.

I mean woudlnt it be awesome to be able to get teh codes for Atris's academy after u turn teh handmaiden Dark side. Then you coudl go back and slaughter them all and bathe in their warm, red virgin blood :ph34r: ....mmmmm donuts

Bao-Dur, I haven't gotten anywhere with him. How do you turn him DS if he only gets influence from things that give you LS points?

Taking a few LS points is the fastest way to turn him, but it's not the only one.

So long as he's not around to lose influence while you slaughter innocents, there are enough morally-neutral influence triggers to do it- you just need decent repair/awareness skills. Repairing the broken speeder on Nar Shadaa and following the atmospheric sensors questline on Dantooine should give you the three hits you need, if memory serves.