1000 games at E3

funcroc

http://pc.boomtown.net/en_uk/articles/art.view.php?id=7998

1000 games at E3

The E3 Expo has announced that over 1000 games and related products will be on display in LA at the 2005 E3 Expo.

"The more than one thousand products debuting at E3Expo 2005 are

examples of the innovation and creativity that will drive industry

growth in the coming year," said Douglas Lowenstein, president of the

ESA, the trade association that represents U.S. computer and video

game publishers and owns E3Expo.

The breakdown of games on show is particularly interesting. Action/Adventure games make up the largest group of games on show with Role Playing Games running second.

Here's the full list based on a survey of publishers exhibiting games at E3:

1. Action/Adventure games (19 percent)

2. Role Playing games (13 percent)

3. Sports/Driving/Racing games (11 percent)

4. Child/Family games (6 percent)

5. Strategy games (5 percent)

6. Simulation games (4 percent)

7. Educational/Edutainment games (3 percent)

8. Arcade games (3 percent)

9. Other games (4 percent)

Source: E3

Out of curiosity, which RPG are known to be debuted at E3? Which are speculated to be announced?

That's gotta be considered a bit of a positive for the RPG genre that they're popular enough to take up the second most percentage of games being shown.

"Console exclusive is such a harsh word." - Darque

"Console exclusive is two words Darque." - Nartwak (in response to Darque's observation)

Damn if that was true, but unfortunately it's probably 95% of these Action and 5% adventure  ;)

Hard time believing this with the current development of RPG's, and if there are 13%, most would likely be brainless console ones where you hit A or B untill all live is killed

Hard time believing this one too, except if they take in account EA's yearly selection of 20 Sport Game Sequels, hardly improved

Hard time believing this one either, unless they show 20 Sims Expansions

Hard time believing this, one of the most populair genre, this one should be a lot larger

Also very populair, should be higher

???More Education than Arcade even???

Only one I see as True

Are the FPS (First Person Shooters) in THIS category??? Hard to believe THAT

"most would likely be brainless console ones where you hit A or B untill all live is killed"

As opposed to PC RPGS where it's left click, left cleck, left click on the mouse until all is dead?

R00fles!

DWARVES IN PROJECT ETERNITY = VOLOURN HAS PLEDGED $250.

Very clever ;)

kirottu said:
I was raised by polar bears. I had to fight against blood thirsty wolves and rabid penguins to get my food. Those who were too weak to survive were sent to Sweden.

It has made me the man I am today. A man who craves furry hentai.

So let us go and embrace the rustling smells of unseen worlds

"most would likely be brainless console ones where you hit A or B untill all live is killed"

As opposed to PC RPGS where it's left click, left cleck, left click on the mouse until all is dead?

Try Baldur's Gate, Silver or Deus Ex with a strategy like that and you'll be dead in sec...

Sequels and console titles:

BG:Alliance (or like that), KOTOR and it suddenly turn's a LOT easier... (For Xbox, PS2)

DX: IW (Xbox): Ow, it's suddenly a lot easier...

Morrowind: Fighting enemy's is a brease...

"Try Baldur's Gate, Silver or Deus Ex with a strategy like that and you'll be dead in sec..."

Didn't play the latter two; but I did with BG. And, FO. And, TOEE. And, it was click, click, click and voila I win.

With Silver it was the same, player just had to move the mouse a bit while clicking. Wasn't even an RPG, by the way.

Edit: Deus Ex on the other hand was an entirely different matter. You have bad examples my hairy friend.

kirottu said:
I was raised by polar bears. I had to fight against blood thirsty wolves and rabid penguins to get my food. Those who were too weak to survive were sent to Sweden.

It has made me the man I am today. A man who craves furry hentai.

So let us go and embrace the rustling smells of unseen worlds

Damn if that was true, but unfortunately it's probably 95% of these Action and 5% adventure  >_<

Hard time believing this with the current development of RPG's, and if there are 13%, most would likely be brainless console ones where you hit A or B untill all live is killed

Hard time believing this one too, except if they take in account EA's yearly selection of 20 Sport Game Sequels, hardly improved

Hard time believing this one either, unless they show 20 Sims Expansions

Hard time believing this, one of the most populair genre, this one should be a lot larger

Also very populair, should be higher

???More Education than Arcade even???

Only one I see as True

Are the FPS (First Person Shooters) in THIS category??? Hard to believe THAT

FPS would be in Action/Adventure. Also RPGs also counts action games with character stats like Diablo, as well as MMORPGs.

The area between the balls and the butt is a hotbed of terrorist activity.

Devastatorsig.jpg

FPS would be in Action/Adventure. Also RPGs also counts action games with character stats like Diablo, as well as MMORPGs.

Ouch, I forgot about mmorpg

Life is like a clam. Years of filtering crap then some bastard cracks you open and scrapes you into its damned mouth, end of story.

- Steven Erikson

It might be 19% but I am sure that less than 1% will be worth actually playing.

Clarence Oddbody* would not be pleased with your cynicism, Harvey. :huh:

I have to agree, though. AFAIK there just aren't that many new cRPGs due for release ... unless a lot of developers/publishers have been stealthily working on games that they are all about to release to the public ... which is unlikely and also still restricted to the number of publishers out there, which isn't many.

*Angel, Second Class

OBSCVRVM PER OBSCVRIVS ET IGNOTVM PER IGNOTIVS

ingsoc.gif

OPVS ARTIFICEM PROBAT

It might be 19% but I am sure that less than 1% will be worth actually playing.

Clarence Oddbody* would not be pleased with your cynicism, Harvey. :blink:

I have to agree, though. AFAIK there just aren't that many new cRPGs due for release ... unless a lot of developers/publishers have been stealthily working on games that they are all about to release to the public ... which is unlikely and also still restricted to the number of publishers out there, which isn't many.

*Angel, Second Class

E3 includes little companies no one's ever heard of. Perhaps they account for some of the RPGs? That, and the fact that all of the Dungeon Crawlers and JRPGs are lumped into the same category. Pretty wide-spanning really.

The 13% means very little because it covers everything from MMOs to J-RPGs but if it's any comfort, that figure is up from 8% last year.

This will be the best E3 for cRPGs in many years. I don't know how many brand-spanking-new announcements there will be (not many I imagine) but with Oblivion and Gothic 3 being fully unleashed, more Dragon Age?, BioWare's Unreal project?, more on BioShock?, Divine Divinity 2 (almost certain), Arkane's Source project? Hellgate London, Castaway's action-RPG, Iron Lore's action-RPG...more to look forward to than we've had for quite a while.

What about Neverwinter Nights 2? Or is it too early?

"Some men see things as they are and say why?"
"I dream things that never were and say why not?"
- George Bernard Shaw

"Hope in reality is the worst of all evils because it prolongs the torments of man."
- Friedrich Nietzsche

"The amount of energy necessary to refute bull**** is an order of magnitude bigger than to produce it."

- Some guy 

I'm sure there's soemthing planned for NWN2 at E3. Afterall, the game is gonna be released supposedly sometime before the middle of next year. I'm sure Obsidian and Atari can at least scrape up, at minimum, a short video and likely a demo... Afterall, Atari is gonna wanna hype thier sequel to the SUPER HIT OF 2002 NWN!!

WOO HOO!

I'm sure there's soemthing planned for NWN2 at E3. Afterall, the game is gonna be released supposedly sometime before the middle of next year. I'm sure Obsidian and Atari can at least scrape up, at minimum, a short video and likely a demo... Afterall, Atari is gonna wanna hype thier sequel to the SUPER HIT OF 2002 NWN!!

WOO HOO!

A press demo perhaps :shifty: ...how many copies has NWN sold,btw :thumbsup: ?

Yes. I don't think they're counting the epxansions if you bought them sperately though. I've just heard 2 million as the magical number everywhere... But, they do count the Gold/Plat editions.. anything that includes the main game. Afterall, if you own an expansion you own the main game... at least I hope so... or what's the point?

Yes. I don't think they're counting the epxansions if you bought them sperately though. I've just heard 2 million as the magical number everywhere... But, they do count the Gold/Plat editions.. anything that includes the main game. Afterall, if you own an expansion you own the main game... at least I hope so... or what's the point?

Isn't that what the "Gold" and "Platinum" titles mean?

(Gold = 1000000, Platinum 200000)

Or is that just a swanky word play to get people to think the same old games are *new* and *shiny*? :p

OBSCVRVM PER OBSCVRIVS ET IGNOTVM PER IGNOTIVS

ingsoc.gif

OPVS ARTIFICEM PROBAT

Or is that just a swanky word play to get people to think the same old games are *new* and *shiny*? :p

I would assume it

Life is like a clam. Years of filtering crap then some bastard cracks you open and scrapes you into its damned mouth, end of story.

- Steven Erikson

Or is that just a swanky word play to get people to think the same old games are *new* and *shiny*? :rolleyes:

In this case the gold and platinum are package deals. Gold contains NWN + SOU and Platinum contains NWN + SOU + HOTU.