KoToR 3: Ideas and Suggestions

Well, this topic seems to have died a little.

I doubt it's because we've run of out ideas or suggestions for KotOR3. I certainly know that I haven't, so I'll just present a few.

First of all, I think the main character should be a completely new character with totally optional gender and species. I'll likely choose human myself again, but I don't see why the game would be hurt by having other choices. Potential races for the character could be Twi'lek, Ithorian, Sullustan, Rodian, Duros, Quarren, or Mon Calamari. There are doubtlessly others not mentioned, and they're probably all fine as long as they're basically bipedal humanoids with a tendency to have general acceptance and ability to speak basic. So there are some I'd avoid, wookie among them.

Now, for the plot, I have many ideas. I'll only outline the initial "planet" here, which is to say the "intro" level, just as Taris was in KotOR1 and Peragus in KotOR2.

The game should begin on Coruscant. Very early it should be noted how this is now the only jedi training facility left in the galaxy because the few jedi there represent the only known jedi left in the galaxy - there simply aren't enough jedi left to also have a training center on other worlds like Dantooine. It could be that there are legal reasons why Coruscant did not appear in the previous games, though. If that is the case, I'd rather have the emerging council/academy on Alderaan than on Dantooine - we've seen Dantooine enough for now IMHO.

The jedi there should include all the jedi we know. Let the player set the Exile's alignment and gender very early. If the Exile is light side, the jedi "masters" on the "council" are Visas, Handmaiden, Disciple, Atton, Mira, and Bao-Dur (if alive at the end of KotOR2 - I'm still in doubt). If the Exile is dark side, then replace them with all new jedi, though the Disciple or the Handmaiden can still be there depending on the Exile's gender.

The Exile's companions from KotOR2 should all have different roles in training groups appropriate to their backgrounds. For example, Handmaiden would teach history (as per Kreia's predictions) and maybe hand-to-hand combat, Atton resistance to mental force powers, Bao-Dur would instruct in the construction of lightsabers, etc.

The player should be the padawan of a jedi knight just turned master (whom I for some reason prefer to be female, no matter what gender the main character is - maybe I just feel KotOR3 needs strong female characters). Where the main characters of the previous games were amnesic Revan and the unnamed Exile, this time the standard catch for the main character should be the "initiate", "apprentice", "neophyte" or some such.

Some people have argued that the race of the main character should be optional. As mentioned above, I actually think that's a good idea, since people can still choose human if they prefer. I'd ignore standard d20 Star Wars rules and let race have no effect on feats/skills/stats, though, so that race really is a genuine choice of preference and not one of statistical opportunism.

The main character should have a few training sessions there and let the main character reach level 2. Setting alignment, gender, and appearance for both Revan and the Exile would be good here, perhaps as part of a Jedi history lesson (with Handmaiden as the teacher). If Revan is light side, it is mentioned that after saving the Republic, he/she went to explore an ancient evil in the unknown regions, and that the Exile eventually followed him/her. Bastila founded the new Jedi order, but eventually decided to leave and search for Revan as well, and nobody has heard from her since then.

After that the main character and master have some "jedi business" on Coruscant - breaking up fights, settling disputes, catching criminals, etc. This would be along the lines of Anakin and Obi-Wan hunting Zam the assassin in Episode II or Revan solving a murder on Dantooine in KotOR1.

Meanwhile the relative peace for the jedi is threatened, however, when Visas Marr - the current head of the Jedi order - is found unconscious in the jedi temple. This would be a cutscene taking place during the main character's exploits, rather like the Visas/Nihilus scene in KotOR2.

When the main character and master next return to the jedi academy, the council is called together. The main character's master will attend, and so the main character will be present too (like Obi-Wan going with Qui-Gon in Episode I). Visas begins explaining what happened, but before she can finish, all present suddenly experience a great pain through the force. The main character falls unconscious.

The masters are alarmed, as they have just felt the death of thousands of people through the force (like Obi-Wan feeling the destruction of Alderaan in Episode IV). They all instantly realize that they face a new threat. Visas is particularly worried and explains that she fell unconscious because she felt something through the force that she had not felt since the days she served as a slave to the terrible Darth Nihilus, only this time the experience was far more powerful even from afar and despite her much greater powers to resist such influences.

In her vision, Visas saw a hooded figure draw all power from an entire world. Not sure which one, but any world that can be sacrificed here is probably appropriate. Somehow I'd like it to be Vjun, since it would explain how it became such a desolate and hostile world, and that Vader later has his castle there because of its ties to the ancient Sith. And note that the world isn't destroyed, it's just completely drained of any and all life to an extent that marks the planets for millennia. This would also explain what Vader means when he says that the power to destroy a planet is insignificant next to the power of the force - draining a planet of life while leaving it somewhat inhabitable is indeed more powerful. Still, maybe this world should be a Sith world for reasons that will become obvious.

The jedi realize that only the Sith, the true Sith, could unleash such destruction through the force, which means that they will be coming soon... While the main character is still unconscious, they wonder why he/she fainted and charges the main character's master with watching over the apprentice carefully, as the incident could suggest that the apprentice has some special connnection to the force. The main character doesn't know this, of course, only waking up afterwards.

Without revealing anything, the Jedi council discusses the matter. If Revan is light side, Carth should make an appearance here as admiral in the Republic fleet and make a few suggestions. Knowing that Darth Nihilus was drawn to great gatherings of Jedi, the council decides that remaining on Coruscant is far too dangerous both for the jedi and for the planet, since it will make the planet a target for the True Sith. Instead they will leave Coruscant and spread themselves across the galaxy both to protect Coruscant and to find a way to fight the true Sith. If a war is coming, then the Republic has little hope of victory in its current state, and the only hope left is the slim chance of what Revan and the Exile went to confront in the unknown regions.

Well, that's how I'd *begin* the game up to level 8 to 10 for the main character...

Well, this topic seems to have died a little.

I doubt it's because we've run of out ideas or suggestions for KotOR3. I certainly know that I haven't, so I'll just present a few.

First of all, I think the main character should be a completely new character with totally optional gender and species. I'll likely choose human myself again, but I don't see why the game would be hurt by having other choices. Potential races for the character could be Twi'lek, Ithorian, Sullustan, Rodian, Duros, Quarren, or Mon Calamari. There are doubtlessly others not mentioned, and they're probably all fine as long as they're basically bipedal humanoids with a tendency to have general acceptance and ability to speak basic. So there are some I'd avoid, wookie among them.

Now, for the plot, I have many ideas. I'll only outline the initial "planet" here, which is to say the "intro" level, just as Taris was in KotOR1 and Peragus in KotOR2.

The game should begin on Coruscant. Very early it should be noted how this is now the only jedi training facility left in the galaxy because the few jedi there represent the only known jedi left in the galaxy - there simply aren't enough jedi left to also have a training center on other worlds like Dantooine. It could be that there are legal reasons why Coruscant did not appear in the previous games, though. If that is the case, I'd rather have the emerging council/academy on Alderaan than on Dantooine - we've seen Dantooine enough for now IMHO.

The jedi there should include all the jedi we know. Let the player set the Exile's alignment and gender very early. If the Exile is light side, the jedi "masters" on the "council" are Visas, Handmaiden, Disciple, Atton, Mira, and Bao-Dur (if alive at the end of KotOR2 - I'm still in doubt). If the Exile is dark side, then replace them with all new jedi, though the Disciple or the Handmaiden can still be there depending on the Exile's gender.

The Exile's companions from KotOR2 should all have different roles in training groups appropriate to their backgrounds. For example, Handmaiden would teach history (as per Kreia's predictions) and maybe hand-to-hand combat, Atton resistance to mental force powers, Bao-Dur would instruct in the construction of lightsabers, etc.

The player should be the padawan of a jedi knight just turned master (whom I for some reason prefer to be female, no matter what gender the main character is - maybe I just feel KotOR3 needs strong female characters). Where the main characters of the previous games were amnesic Revan and the unnamed Exile, this time the standard catch for the main character should be the "initiate", "apprentice", "neophyte" or some such.

Some people have argued that the race of the main character should be optional. As mentioned above, I actually think that's a good idea, since people can still choose human if they prefer. I'd ignore standard d20 Star Wars rules and let race have no effect on feats/skills/stats, though, so that race really is a genuine choice of preference and not one of statistical opportunism.

The main character should have a few training sessions there and let the main character reach level 2. Setting alignment, gender, and appearance for both Revan and the Exile would be good here, perhaps as part of a Jedi history lesson (with Handmaiden as the teacher). If Revan is light side, it is mentioned that after saving the Republic, he/she went to explore an ancient evil in the unknown regions, and that the Exile eventually followed him/her. Bastila founded the new Jedi order, but eventually decided to leave and search for Revan as well, and nobody has heard from her since then.

After that the main character and master have some "jedi business" on Coruscant - breaking up fights, settling disputes, catching criminals, etc. This would be along the lines of Anakin and Obi-Wan hunting Zam the assassin in Episode II or Revan solving a murder on Dantooine in KotOR1.

Meanwhile the relative peace for the jedi is threatened, however, when Visas Marr - the current head of the Jedi order - is found unconscious in the jedi temple. This would be a cutscene taking place during the main character's exploits, rather like the Visas/Nihilus scene in KotOR2.

When the main character and master next return to the jedi academy, the council is called together. The main character's master will attend, and so the main character will be present too (like Obi-Wan going with Qui-Gon in Episode I). Visas begins explaining what happened, but before she can finish, all present suddenly experience a great pain through the force. The main character falls unconscious.

The masters are alarmed, as they have just felt the death of thousands of people through the force (like Obi-Wan feeling the destruction of Alderaan in Episode IV). They all instantly realize that they face a new threat. Visas is particularly worried and explains that she fell unconscious because she felt something through the force that she had not felt since the days she served as a slave to the terrible Darth Nihilus, only this time the experience was far more powerful even from afar and despite her much greater powers to resist such influences.

In her vision, Visas saw a hooded figure draw all power from an entire world. Not sure which one, but any world that can be sacrificed here is probably appropriate. Somehow I'd like it to be Vjun, since it would explain how it became such a desolate and hostile world, and that Vader later has his castle there because of its ties to the ancient Sith. And note that the world isn't destroyed, it's just completely drained of any and all life to an extent that marks the planets for millennia.  This would also explain what Vader means when he says that the power to destroy a planet is insignificant next to the power of the force - draining a planet of life while leaving it somewhat inhabitable is indeed more powerful. Still, maybe this world should be a Sith world for reasons that will become obvious.

The jedi realize that only the Sith, the true Sith, could unleash such destruction through the force, which means that they will be coming soon... While the main character is still unconscious, they wonder why he/she fainted and charges the main character's master with watching over the apprentice carefully, as the incident could suggest that the apprentice has some special connnection to the force. The main character doesn't know this, of course, only waking up afterwards.

Without revealing anything, the Jedi council discusses the matter. If Revan is light side, Carth should make an appearance here as admiral in the Republic fleet and make a few suggestions. Knowing that Darth Nihilus was drawn to great gatherings of Jedi, the council decides that remaining on Coruscant is far too dangerous both for the jedi and for the planet, since it will make the planet a target for the True Sith. Instead they will leave Coruscant and spread themselves across the galaxy both to protect Coruscant and to find a way to fight the true Sith. If a war is coming, then the Republic has little hope of victory in its current state, and the only hope left is the slim chance of what Revan and the Exile went to confront in the unknown regions.

Well, that's how I'd *begin* the game up to level 8 to 10 for the main character...

i still stay kotor 4 should have exile or revan. and should take in unknown space. should that the chars from 1&2 should return to help main pc. with the exception those who were killed. and Atris to exile's group. i'd like to be able to use my save game from 1&2. intruduce new companion if nesscary for us to have them. say to replace those who died or/and won't base on our alignment. sorry i just thru this reply together on the fly

It would be nice to see HK arrange a droid armada and threaten the Galaxy

and all meatbags.

Aaand it would be nice if KoTOR III won't be made by Obsidian.

HEAR HEAR!!!

At least I was able to play KOTOR to all the way to end MULTIPLE times without it crashing/locking up my well-above the minimum specs system.

Obsidian, before you even THINK about KOTOR 3 get your act together for KOTOR 2. I can not say how disappointed I was in this game. I want my money back, and more importantly the time that I wasted!

Game developers/programmers are just as bad as meteorologists. How else can some one make a living being wrong all the time!?!?!? :angry:

i still stay kotor 4 should have exile or revan. and should take in unknown space. should that the chars from 1&2 should return to help main pc. with the exception those who were killed. and Atris to exile's group. i'd like to be able to use my save game from 1&2. intruduce new companion if nesscary for us to have them. say to replace those who died or/and won't base on our alignment. sorry i just thru this reply together on the fly

KotOR4 - a bit ahead, aren't you? :lol:

Seriously, note that I'm only talking about how I'd begin KotOR3. I certainly want Revan and the Exile to be in there, but part of your quest in the game should be to find them, not just stumble across them. To me that means looking for clues to what happened to them in the known galaxy before you go to seek them out in the outer regions.

I'd include several characters from the predecessors along the way. Most of the Exile's companions I've already mentioned as Jedi on Coruscant. Carth would also be briefly seen (if alive).

About Atris, I'd sort of like her back too, but the problem with her is that she might very well have been killed by the Exile in KotOR2, and even if she is left alive, she swears to turn from the Force, so I don't see how she will fit into the plot, in which case it's better to just drop her completely.

Some of Revan's friends would make later appearances as temporary companions. Among those I'd prefer Jolee, Mission and Zaalbar. Bastila would be a major character in the overall story.

Using save games from the predecessors sounds very unlikely to me. It's a option, but it was in KotOR2 as well, and they didn't use it there. Besides, can the Xbox import save games from other games? If not, then I think there is no chance of it happening. Either way, I find it unlikely. A bit of a shame, though - I'd like to have my progress have an effect in the next game, but I don't suppose it will...

KotOR4 - a bit ahead, aren't you? :blink:

Seriously, note that I'm only talking about how I'd begin KotOR3. I certainly want Revan and the Exile to be in there, but part of your quest in the game should be to find them, not just stumble across them. To me that means looking for clues to what happened to them in the known galaxy before you go to seek them out in the outer regions.

I'd include several characters from the predecessors along the way. Most of the Exile's companions I've already mentioned as Jedi on Coruscant. Carth would also be briefly seen (if alive).

About Atris, I'd sort of like her back too, but the problem with her is that she might very well have been killed by the Exile in KotOR2, and even if she is left alive, she swears to turn from the Force, so I don't see how she will fit into the plot, in which case it's better to just drop her completely.

Some of Revan's friends would make later appearances as temporary companions. Among those I'd prefer Jolee, Mission and Zaalbar. Bastila would be a major character in the overall story.

Using save games from the predecessors sounds very unlikely to me. It's a option, but it was in KotOR2 as well, and they didn't use it there. Besides, can the Xbox import save games from other games? If not, then I think there is no chance of it happening. Either way, I find it unlikely. A bit of a shame, though - I'd like to have my progress have an effect in the next game, but I don't suppose it will...

oops my bad i ment 3. like i said i threw that together.

@ Jediphile:

Way to go dude!!! You've got a real good story going there, although I kind of think Visas as Concil leader won't happen! :blink: But the rest is really tight!

If you have the time, check my post (page 3) and let me hear what you think. I thought the gameplay changes I've suggested would go kind of well with your story!

Yeah, I love the early story thing.

One idea, I think that in the prologue, as it were, you play your young jedi, just starting out in the acadamy. Depending on how you perform in your trials, you can either select a master, or one will select you. This could have an impact on skills and bonuses recieved from tutalege (Tutorials, being taught, I can't spell it) by that master.

Also, later in the game, when it becomes apparent that the republic is not going to pull through, you (As a fully fledged Jedi knight) Are dispached to find Revan or the Exile.

This is a good portion of the game, but when you come back (With Revan, Exile or both in tow) Then the old characters play a big part in the story, Carth as admiral, Revan as commander with the Exile at his right hand, Canderous leading a charge of the mandalorians, redeeming them in the republics eyes. something like that, maybe with the finale being boarding a "True Sith" ship.

@ Jediphile:

Way to go dude!!! You've got a real good story going there, although I kind of think Visas as Concil leader won't happen! :huh:

Maybe not, but then it doesn't matter much. There really isn't much of a "council" to begin with, so whoever heads it doesn't make much difference.

But the rest is really tight!

If you have the time, check my post (page 3) and let me hear what you think. I thought the gameplay changes I've suggested would go kind of well with your story!

Thanks. I did read your post long before making my plot suggestions here, and I don't think our preferences for KotOR3 will conflict.

I'm sure some people will argue that Revan and the Exile are more important, but I actually do plan to have them be deciding characters in my plot. Yes, we want to see what happened to them, but I don't think we need to develop them as characters - we've already done that over two games now. We don't need lengthy character development for them, we need closure, and that doesn't need to take much space in the game if done right plotwise.

I see the new main character more as someone who facilitates events and bring characters together. The Exile and especially Revan will certainly be vital characters, and rightly so.

Council being wiped out was verified by more then just Kreia.

Council dead unless KotOR3 is way in the future.

I depends on what "council" means exactly. If it means body of old and experienced jedi masters long since appointed to the council and governing jedi affairs, then I'd agree with you that it's dead.

However, as long as there are jedi there will also be a council or the makings of one in some form. Since the jedi aren't completely destroyed just yet, though close to it, then there can be said to be a "council" trying to build a new jedi order.

Need improvements to the way INVENTORY is handled!

I don't know about you, but I think it is kind of strange to be able to carry around 5 tremor blades, 5 suits of heavy armor, 5 suits of Krath armor, 3 suits of Mandalorian armor, with no encumberance penalty of any kind.

* give us an encumberance system and possibly little droid-like carts that we can put stuff in.

* FIX RANDOM LOOT! I don't mind random loot but there should not be several instances of a unique item. Also, make some loot random and some not random. If you destroy a droid, you should not find credits on it, etc.

I depends on what "council" means exactly. If it means body of old and experienced jedi masters long since appointed to the council and governing jedi affairs, then I'd agree with you that it's dead.

However, as long as there are jedi there will also be a council or the makings of one in some form. Since the jedi aren't completely destroyed just yet, though close to it, then there can be said to be a "council" trying to build a new jedi order.

I personally think that the best way to use the Exile is to make him the one who is trying to rebuild the Council (a scripted character, not a PC or party member). In other words, he is the closest thing to a Master Vandar or Master Vrook that you see in KOTOR III.

I personally think that the best way to use the Exile is to make him the one who is trying to rebuild the Council (a scripted character, not a PC or party member). In other words, he is the closest thing to a Master Vandar or Master Vrook that you see in KOTOR III.

i don't think that will be counvil. let not forgot most what left of jedi are in hiding. i say they want to rebuild the order save for kotor 3. kotor 3 should be the end of the revan saga. either exile/or revan should be the pc. i'm for new pc after 3. i just see bringing new one in now.

Need improvements to the way INVENTORY is handled!

I don't know about you, but I think it is kind of strange to be able to carry around 5 tremor blades, 5 suits of heavy armor, 5 suits of Krath armor, 3 suits of Mandalorian armor, with no encumberance penalty of any kind.

* give us an encumberance system and possibly little droid-like carts that we can put stuff in.

* FIX RANDOM LOOT!  I don't mind random loot but there should not be several instances of a unique item.  Also, make some loot random and some not random.  If you destroy a droid, you should not find credits on it, etc.

All true. Though when I was suggesting an weight system for KOTOR 2, n00Bs jumped all over me, so I don't think it's gonna happen.

As for random loot: YES! SO TRUE!

And my own suggestion: Let us "rename" individual items, or at least "tag" them to belong to a certain character. I hate having to think "hmmmmm... Now whose was this?" or having to try to figure out which vibrosword is which when upgrading.

Curious about the subraces in Pillars of Eternity? Check out 

Well, I still don't agree with that. KotOR2 left the Exile to follow Revan and seek out the true Sith in the unknown regions.

Whatever happens in KotOR3, that's where the plot must begin, as far as the Exile is concerned. He/she could certainly end up being a prominent member of the new council at the end of the game, maybe even the head of the council. Unless, of course, they want to kill him/her for plot purposes... Same goes for Revan btw.

Well, I still don't agree with that. KotOR2 left the Exile to follow Revan and seek out the true Sith in the unknown regions.

Whatever happens in KotOR3, that's where the plot must begin, as far as the Exile is concerned. He/she could certainly end up being a prominent member of the new council at the end of the game, maybe even the head of the council. Unless, of course, they want to kill him/her for plot purposes... Same goes for Revan btw.

true exile must be first in kotor 3 if they use both exile/revan. or just exile would be fine with me now

I think Revan and the Exile, if put into the next game, should only appear as a cameo. I suppose a boss would be cool though.

I'd like to see facial or body deformities. Be it war or being just a Dark Side character having the option to choose masks or implants to hide them would be cool. The option the leave them exposed should also be available. Battle scars could enable Light Side players to use masks and implants as well.

When going Dark Side, if the companions of the protagonist follow his or her path down the Dark Side some or even just one should try to over come the protagonist when the opportunity arises.

Please, no more

I certainly think there should be a jedi council! If Exile was played LS, he was rebuilding the Jedi order with his compainions before he left. So chances are that even though they aren't the most experienced of jedi, they would certainly rebuild a council of some sort. Also there are still very powerful jedi like Bastilla left in hiding, who would certainly return to help rebuild the order after the sith were defeated after KOTOR II.

Also I liked the idea of the improved visuals (scars, masks, robes with hood on/off), especialy for playing DS. But I think that will be a question of what engine will be used.

I also agree on the issue of the random loot, mostly because there actaually weren't that many uniqe items to be found. I think there should be a lot more special robes and even special lightsabers, since I only used the armor for the companions I can't actually say much about that (kind of didn't like it since it didn't look too much like SW stuff). Thinking about that makes me wish that their default clothes could be modified a lot more, 'cause they looked the coolest (just think of Han Solo running around in a Storm Troopers armor all of the time :-)

Encumberance should definitly be added! Since you will mostlikely have another ship of your own again, there should be a place to store stuff, and the problem of noobs should be solved. :huh:

Thinking about that makes me wish that their default clothes could be modified a lot more, 'cause they looked the coolest (just think of Han Solo running around in a Storm Troopers armor all of the time :huh:)

right. one of the main points of a role-playing game is immersiveness. I agree that we need more "regular clothing" options and it would even be cool if that could trigger certain resposes.

For instance, let us say that you have equipped "Onderon middle class attire" or "Tatooine business attire" or "Tatooine moisture farmer attire", etc....the merchants and other NPCs would greet you differently, in part, on how you are dressed.

IMO, being able to run around dressed as a Sith soldier was one of the coolest parts of Taris in the first game.

3) I realy liked the Idea of riding swoop Bikes and Speeders on the planet surface if that would be possible with the new engine. Not as a real big action element, but much more as a possibility of using the loads of money for something useful like bying/renting these kind of htings.

right. I'll be honest with you, that is one of the main reasons I want them to do more with Swoop Bikes....we need more stuff to spend money on. It would be cool to be able to buy upgrades for the bikes, and, for that matter, buy upgrades for your spaceship. Also, it would be nice to be able to pay someone to make illegal modifications to your weapons (while still keeping the workbench upgrades).

For the spaceship, one of the things I would like to see is to have someone in the starport offer to upgrade the astro charts of your navicomputer. If you pay to have it done, you get a couple to extra (non-essential) worlds to navigate to.

3) I realy liked the Idea of riding swoop Bikes and Speeders on the planet surface if that would be possible with the new engine. Not as a real big action element, but much more as a possibility of using the loads of money for something useful like bying/renting these kind of htings.

right. I'll be honest with you, that is one of the main reasons I want them to do more with Swoop Bikes....we need more stuff to spend money on. It would be cool to be able to buy upgrades for the bikes, and, for that matter, buy upgrades for your spaceship. Also, it would be nice to be able to pay someone to make illegal modifications to your weapons (while still keeping the workbench upgrades).

For the spaceship, one of the things I would like to see is to have someone in the starport offer to upgrade the astro charts of your navicomputer. If you pay to have it done, you get a couple to extra (non-essential) worlds to navigate to.

COOL!!! (w00t) That should definitly be added! I think there's far to little exploring going on as it is. As a matter of fact, I'd like to see that with all of the less prominent systems (like the Dagobar system, or the Kamino system)!