Multiple Playthrough's

Hi :devil:

I decided to start my second playthrough of KOTOR2 (now that I have actually played and finished KOTOR1) and I am REALLY glad that I am. I am basically going the same way I did on my first playthrough (LS Male), but there is a lot I think I missed out on such as more interaction with Atton, the Handmaiden and Bao-Dur. This time I will be playing as a Jedi Consular/Master, and focusing a lot more on wisdom and persuade.

I have just finished the Telos Academy bit, and I found lots there I hadn't seen before - I didn't even know you could spar with the handmaidens! And I was also happy to see you could actually end the Atris dialogue in a amicable way (which makes it even more dissapointing that there wasnt more depth here, seeing as if you go down this path you are welcome back at the Academy). I also encountered the bug that is triggered if you surrender your weapons first thing to the handmaidens... which was wierd, and sort of leads me to my questions:

- What is the go with the "dialogue" options you get if you encounter this glitch (so that Atton and Kreia are standing at the entrace instead of in their force cages) and try to speak to Atton? From memory it was like "Cheat Code: Skip to Atris confrontation / Cheat Code: Continue with Kreia Speech" or something similar... were these like developer mode options or something? When I tried the Atris option the conversation options were... different to the usual ones, even though it eventually led to the normal conversation options. I imagine they are not actually new, just that I hadnt seem them before?

- Has anyone managed to win every sparring match with the Handmaiden(s) at the Academy? Can someone fill me in on what happens if you do? because I just couldn't get past the 2nd one :wub:

- I came across a little more information on Kreia/Revan than I had previously discovered... but I still ran out of influence when I pushed for more... does anyone know what module file I need to look in to check out that dialogue?

- Is it possible to train Handmaiden as a Jedi without the game assuming your characters romantic interest lies with her?

- (and just quickly).. Why is Kreia so against you teaching/becoming involved with the Handmaiden/Visas (from a male view)? Is it primarily because she doesn't want anything to interfere with her hopes/plans for you? Or are we to beleive there is some level of resentment (as far as the training goes.. because we dont want to get into the whole Kreia is a mother thing :thumbsup:) because she is not viewed as a leader/person of importance and because she is somewhat of a failure as a Jedi Instructor? Because she seems kind of submissive to the whole idea of you training them as Jedi and even becoming involved with someone by the end (she even says they are the future of the jedi or somethign to that effect?).

Hmm... umm I think that is all I wanted to ask :) Thanks to everyone in advance, and I hope I am looking forward to exploring the rest of the game in a bit more detail... and I am sure it will raise many more questions for me :D

- Dan

- Has anyone managed to win every sparring match with the Handmaiden(s) at the Academy?  Can someone fill me in on what happens if you do? because I just couldn't get past the 2nd one :blink:

I never paid much notice to the sparring rounds except the last one, so some of the following details may be off: I think there are five rounds total, with restrictions being gradually lifted. The fourth round is against a pair of Handmaidens, the last one against five of them and it cannot be repeated if you lose. At the end you get 750 XP.

The difficulty probably lies in the early rounds where you are not allowed to use items, weapons, armour and so on. This makes it very tough for non-fighter types (fighters can do all rounds except for the last one unarmed in their jumpsuit without breaking a sweat). The last round - without any restrictions but facing five Handmaidens at once - can be challenging even for a decent fighter, at least if you want to fight fair. But there are no restrictions and so other characters also have a chance; for example, with good Force DC it is usually easy to knock some Handmaidens off the mat with Force Push or Force Whirlwind.

- Is it possible to train Handmaiden as a Jedi without the game assuming your characters romantic interest lies with her?

Certainly. But you may hit a dead end if you are much closer to Visas than to Handmaiden too early.

Has anyone managed to win every sparring match with the Handmaiden(s) at the Academy?  Can someone fill me in on what happens if you do? because I just couldn't get past the 2nd one

Nothing :blink:

You don't get a thing exept EXP...and it's not easy either :)

Nah son, sh*t is easy, I smacked those b*tches like they owed me money.

How so? What's the secret winner strategy?

I have always found the final round against the five Handmaidens very challenging, even though I prepared my Exile carefully - browsing the loot to select the best armour, putting in some quality time at the workbench, things like that. In fact, for me this battle has always been the highlight during the earlier part of a replay and I always plan character development (e.g. which feat/power to take when) with an eye towards being fully battle-worthy at level 13, in order to be prepared for this fight. The rest after level 13 I play by the ear, as there are no fights after that which tax the Exile's abilities to the fullest.

And despite careful preparation and good strategy/tactics the battle was always a close call. In fact, this was quite a contrast to the first four rounds which a fighter type can go through unarmed in the jumpsuit without even bothering to equip anything or to heal up between rounds.

- Has anyone managed to win every sparring match with the Handmaiden(s) at the Academy?  Can someone fill me in on what happens if you do? because I just couldn't get past the 2nd one :p

as stated above, yuppers it possible. You get a nice chunk of XP but otherwise its kinda a let down.

To beat them, what I do is focus on hand to hand skills from the start to the encounter. The Handmaidens are tough when doing Hand to Hand and your not allowed to use FS powers. Once your allowed to use FS powers, thats the way to go to defeat the rest.

hehe, save before you start a fight and after you win a fight!

- I came across a little more information on Kreia/Revan than I had previously discovered... but I still ran out of influence when I pushed for more... does anyone know what module file I need to look in to check out that dialogue?

No idea on module, but if you come to the end of your influence, you can useually increase that influence by exploring the other conversation paths.

Kreia pretty easy to influence once you know what shes looking for in terms of answers.

Yes, but as other poster mentioned, if you pay to much attention to Visas, Handmaiden clams up on you outta jealousy.

- (and just quickly).. Why is Kreia so against you teaching/becoming involved with the Handmaiden/Visas (from a male view)?  Is it primarily because she doesn't want anything to interfere with her hopes/plans for you?  Or are we to beleive there is some level of resentment (as far as the training goes.. because we dont want to get into the whole Kreia is a mother thing :() because she is not viewed as a leader/person of importance and because she is somewhat of a failure as a Jedi Instructor?  Because she seems kind of submissive to the whole idea of you training them as Jedi and even becoming involved with someone by the end (she even says they are the future of the jedi or somethign to that effect?).

I think you are on track here, she never really reveals her reasons for her reasoning behind this but I think she feels if you become attacted to either of them her hold over you will lessen.

hehe, after all, if one thing holds true, Kriea is all about having power over others :)

I suspect it's mostly about distraction and making yourself vulnerable. She doesn't like either of the choices, but seems dead set against Visas, maybe because of her strong tie-in to the Force and her relationship to Nihilus.

I fell victim to Handmaiden's wrath this last time around, wasn't expecting her to turn on me. Never did get to make her a Jedi. Meh. But no matter how many times I play, it seems like I'm always finding something new.

I suspect it's mostly about distraction and making yourself vulnerable.  She doesn't like either of the choices, but seems dead set against Visas, maybe because of her strong tie-in to the Force and her relationship to Nihilus.

I fell victim to Handmaiden's wrath this last time around, wasn't expecting her to turn on me.  Never did get to make her a Jedi.  Meh.  But no matter how many times I play, it seems like I'm always finding something new.

heh Kali,

Thats what drives me nuts about the complaints regarding storyline and influence.

If people paid attention and played through more then once they would see and find out they missed alot.

I know the entire story didnt truely fall togather for me until about the 6th play through. After that you should have pretty much explored all the paths and learned all there is to learn really :(

heh Kali,

Thats what drives me nuts about the complaints regarding storyline and influence.

If people paid attention and played through more then once they would see and find out they missed alot.

I know the entire story didnt truely fall togather for me until about the 6th play through. After that you should have pretty much explored all the paths and learned all there is to learn really :thumbsup:

Yeah, this is about my 6th time around too, just finally realized why Kreia saved Tobin because he opened up and told me. I'm impressed and appreciative of what Obsidian was able to do, rather than focusing on what they couldn't. I suspect that it gets criticized because it is so subtle, and that's different and unique, not at all the norm. But wow, it's my kind of story.

I know the entire story didnt truely fall togather for me until about the 6th play through. After that you should have pretty much explored all the paths and learned all there is to learn really :blink:

Was just wondering, though, who you think stripped Kreia's Force powers. Was it Sion and Nihilus? Or was it the Jedi Council after all (who were mentioned more than once in dialogue and the loading screens). Some believe that the Jedi only did it once, in the case of Nomi Sunrider. But Atris definitely told me that Kreia's powers were stripped, although she did not say by whom. It would surely explain Kreia's hatred for the Council, and how else would Atris know? Did you get anything on that?

- Has anyone managed to win every sparring match with the Handmaiden(s) at the Academy?  Can someone fill me in on what happens if you do? because I just couldn't get past the 2nd one :blink:

750 XP. Nothing else.

Yes. Just have more influence with Visas (but not too much).

But Atris definitely told me that Kreia's powers were stripped, although she did not say by whom.  It would surely explain Kreia's hatred for the Council, and how else would Atris know?  Did you get anything on that?

Atris knows because Kreia told her, and Kreia's powers were stripped by Sion and Nihilus, I believe. After all, you get that cutscene if you have enough influence with her, and she says to Sion in their early fight on the Harbinger that he betrayed her. It seemed to me like a subtly serious betrayal.

It could've been the Council, but Kreia seems more opposed to the Council in philosophy... like they were too slow to act where she was concerned. And after all, Master Kavar doesn't say to her at the Dantooine Enclave, "But we stripped you of your powers!" he says "We were told you had died in the wars!"

She took on a contempt for her children much like she had contempt for the Council--as two wrong extremes unknowingly manipulated by the Force.

The first two handmaiden fights are easiest if your base strength is fairly high (increases your damage and chance to hit) and if you have a high flurry/dueling/toughness/whatnot. You need more con than they've got to survive them, and you need enough chance to hit MINUS ALL ITEMS. Then you can slap those arrogant witches silly, although afterward they really aren't any less sour in personality. Still, it's satisfying while you can do it. If only you could do the same to that snooty cow Atris...

Also, a high critical strike can net you a stun, which is invaluable when you can't use your Force powers.

heh Kali,

I know the entire story didnt truely fall togather for me until about the 6th play through. After that you should have pretty much explored all the paths and learned all there is to learn really :wub:

Yeah, this is about my 6th time around too, just finally realized why Kreia saved Tobin because he opened up and told me. I'm impressed and appreciative of what Obsidian was able to do, rather than focusing on what they couldn't. I suspect that it gets criticized because it is so subtle, and that's different and unique, not at all the norm. But wow, it's my kind of story.

I "get" subtle.

I work games methodically (game theory, probing for weaknesses whether logic or otherwise that might give me a winning advantage).

I had Tobin, for example, dribbling and whining out his pathetic story first time through (high persuade, high charisma).

As GB Shaw said of a book he reviewed for a man, who noticed the pages hadn't been cut past the first few (an indication that the book hadn't been read past that point; books were printed on folded paper and, more recently, the pages cut before sale) complained: "I do not need to eat an entire apple to know that it is bad."

This game could have been incredible (operative word, "could", past tense wishful thinking): it had all the foundations for a bigger, better game that K1. It wasn't. And the flaws, to me, inhibit re-plays so much that I have been playing Half-Life 2, Rome: Total War, NwN and, indeed, K1 instead.

OBSCVRVM PER OBSCVRIVS ET IGNOTVM PER IGNOTIVS

ingsoc.gif

OPVS ARTIFICEM PROBAT

I "get" subtle.

I work games methodically (game theory, probing for weaknesses whether logic or otherwise that might give me a winning advantage).

I had Tobin, for example, dribbling and whining out his pathetic story first time through (high persuade, high charisma).

As GB Shaw said of a book he reviewed for a man, who noticed the pages hadn't been cut past the first few (an indication that the book hadn't been read past that point; books were printed on folded paper and, more recently, the pages cut before sale) complained: "I do not need to eat an entire apple to know that it is bad."

This game could have been incredible (operative word, "could", past tense wishful thinking): it had all the foundations for a bigger, better game that K1. It wasn't. And the flaws, to me, inhibit re-plays so much that I have been playing Half-Life 2, Rome: Total War, NwN and, indeed, K1 instead.

I agree and disagree, I guess. I do think K2 would have blown the sox off anything else on this sorry market, had it reached its full potential. K1 was the first game in many moons that I couldn't stop playing until I'd finished; and this was much the same, in a different way. But K2 has something more compelling for me than NwN or HL2. I will replay it many times, just to listen and enjoy the characters, the slow realization of what each step of the journey is all about.

Bad decisions like LA's refusal to fully support it (as well as Valve's ill-conceived steam engine) make me sad, and they hurt the whole industry. But my money was well spent, for Obsidian's sake. They rock.