Kotor Capital Ships

If this is all a figment of our imagination than the matrix is on the untopic topic making it unreal too.What is reality?

Baley are you just going to spam nonsense until you reach level 10? :blink:"

You guys are certainly an interesting case study in stream-of-consciousness writing. :(

OBSCVRVM PER OBSCVRIVS ET IGNOTVM PER IGNOTIVS

ingsoc.gif

OPVS ARTIFICEM PROBAT

As far as I can remember, the Imperial Star Destroyer is 1.6km long, the Executor 12.8km, the 1st Death Star 120 km in diameter and the 2nd 160km,  so that's pretty good eyeballing(term?) Drachir:)

Depends on where you read it.

The 1.6 for the ISD is absolutely correct, but if you do certain calculations, the Executor could be anywhere from 8km to 17.8km.

Also, the Death Stars can be calculated to different sizes as well.

Star Wars Technical Commentaries

The Technical Commentaries are ridiculous. What are these silly "calculations" good for?

It does create a conundrum, though. Do we interpret the movies according to scientific method or artistic whim? Does the fact that the second Death Star needed to be of diameter 900km to be scaled for the forest moon of Endor, or do we take the (albeit non-scientific) artistic wish that it was only 160km?

BTW what is the "scientific" size of the forest moon?

movie_bg.jpg

"Jedi poodoo!" - some displeased Dug

S.L.J. said he has already filmed his death scene and was visibly happy that he

It is the minimum and maximum size range of a planetoid that can sustain an atmosphere, given that it exists in a universe with laws of physics similar to ours. (Which, according to leading opinion -- i.e. Stephen Hawking in A Brief History of Time -- is not only possible but mandatory.)

Which you would know if you bothered to read any of the link you are trying to dismiss. If you are trying to support the converse ideology; i.e. that whatever the illiterate artists have written in some of the official fanboy books that accompany the film releases is canon, then you should be aware that the article also quotes from an earlier source: namely an interview with Richard Edlund of Industrial Light & Magic.

" The Deathstar, I think, will be a lot more interesting than the one in the first Star Wars

ingsoc.gif

OPVS ARTIFICEM PROBAT

If this is all a figment of our imagination than the matrix is on the untopic topic making it unreal too.What is reality?

Baley are you just going to spam nonsense until you reach level 10? :-"

You guys are certainly an interesting case study in stream-of-consciousness writing. :p

You can you reach level 10 :) ...my new goal in life :D

As for the topic why hasn't our spam atracted the mods to close this :( ...Why?

You can you reach level 10 :p ...my new goal in life :D

As for the topic why hasn't our spam atracted the mods to close this :( ...Why?

Oh no!

Probably she is still playing catch-up: I see you have been very busy closing down multiple threads over the weekend... :-

ingsoc.gif

OPVS ARTIFICEM PROBAT

You can you reach level 10 :) ...my new goal in life :D

As for the topic why hasn't our spam atracted the mods to close this :p ...Why?

Oh no!

Probably she is still playing catch-up: I see you have been very busy closing down multiple threads over the weekend... :(

It wasn't all my fault...I almost never spam alone :">

I know, you guys probably need an intervention (:-) to help break the pernicious cycle of spamming to prevent continual recidivism.

Perhaps just having a SW topic to talk about might be better? :)

ingsoc.gif

OPVS ARTIFICEM PROBAT

What intervention :ph34r:
Perhaps just having a SW topic to talk about might be better? :-

Yup Baley-spaming SW since 2005 :(

Right, so how big do you think the capital ships were?

Or, to make it easier:

- artistic rationale (e.g. Death Star RotJ c.160km)

- scientific rationale (e.g. Death Star RotJ c.900km)

ingsoc.gif

OPVS ARTIFICEM PROBAT

When why do you even dicuss Baley? if your not interested in it and only wish to spam?? make your own thread then ..

Yeah your probably right bur I was trying to make a point:

You can't measure SW ships >_<

But you can, because people have created them based on real ships, so it is quite acceptable and reasonable to extrapolate the original designs and eventual results to acertain "real" (read: virtual) measurements. I don't know about you, but I have a lot of difficulty with any fiction that is not based on reality: the suspension of disbelief is critical, and it depends on some sort of cross-over between our reality and the imaginary virtual world.

Otherwise, you are correct, we might as well discuss how many angels can dance on the head of a pin. But as this forum is about SW, then we shall discuss, amongst other things, the size of capital ships in SW.

ingsoc.gif

OPVS ARTIFICEM PROBAT

It is the minimum and maximum size range of a planetoid that can sustain an atmosphere, given that it exists in a universe with laws of physics similar to ours. (Which, according to leading opinion -- i.e. Stephen Hawking in A Brief History of Time -- is not only possible but mandatory.)

Which you would know if you bothered to read any of the link you are trying to dismiss. If you are trying to support the converse ideology; i.e. that whatever the illiterate artists have written in some of the official fanboy books that accompany the film releases is canon, then you should be aware that the article also quotes from an earlier source: namely an interview with Richard Edlund of Industrial Light & Magic.

" The Deathstar, I think, will be a lot more interesting than the one in the first Star Wars

"Jedi poodoo!" - some displeased Dug

S.L.J. said he has already filmed his death scene and was visibly happy that he

Citing Steven Hawking is a good thing, but applying this to the SW universe is not.

Rather ridiculous.

This so-called scientific approach is not possible in the SW universe, because it's fantasy and not even real sci-fi. Perhaps the autor mixed it up with Star Trek where technical "explanations" are mandatory and desired by Trekkies.

Not possible or difficult / unpopular? :devil:

When George Lucas invented the lightsaber he never ever thought of explaining the exact physical reason why it could magically bend the laser beam back to the source. He said it works, and so it does.

Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic.

Arthur C. Clarke, "Profiles of The Future", 1961 (Clarke's third law)

English physicist & science fiction author (1917 - )

I would be reticent to say it is impossible to create a lightsaber. After all, one hudred years ago a television was not even a dream for John Logie Baird, and now we are on the brink of conductive plastic (!) screens that roll up like a roman blind.

Just as well, Lucas set up the size of the Death Stars. Asking him about the problem with the size of the Death Star, he would reply that the moon is simply not as big as you're suspecting it to be. Well, what do we learn about this?

That George Lucas should recognise the delegated authority of his technical designers, such as Edlund, rather than making simplistic ex-cathedra pronouncements that make him look like a simpleton? :thumbsup:"

Aside from that, the "Technical Commentaries" contain many mistakes.

For example, to destroy a planet you don't have to tear every molecule apart, nor do you have to transform all of its matter into enery. To destroy a planet many orders of magnitude less enery is needed than calculated here. So how can someone seriously deduce the power of the Death Star beam from these wild guesses? Seems ridiculous to me - sorry, that's my opinion...

True you don't have to vapourise a planet to destroy it, but that certainly appears to be what happens to Alderan (no debris of any significant size after the explosion).

And I think part of what these people are doing (

ingsoc.gif

OPVS ARTIFICEM PROBAT

Well I would say that unfortunately there has been enough derailment due to SPAM that I think it's time to send this off to the AotS.

The universe is change;
your life is what our thoughts make it
- Marcus Aurelius (161)

:dragon: