Character Creation- By the book or DIY?

• 7 years later...

I don't even play D&D anymore XD

As a DM, I quickly realised that the character creation system is too restrictive and completely altered it. But I also did that with skills, attributes, battle mechanics, spells, etc. etc.

So, in fact, I'm not playing D&D with my friends anymore. We play something entirely different!

• 3 weeks later...

every game I have played has had a modified set of rules these are always adjusted by whoever is running the game almost always as a time saving device or common sense.

None of this is really happening. There is a man. With a typewriter. This is all part of his crazy imagination. 

• 4 weeks later...

I tend to do it by the book - but if needed I'll adjust the starting level (if I'm GM) if needed. For example in D&D I like to start at level 3 but in Shadowrun I find you get too many build points so I knock them down some.

I will say that I also enjoy building my characters around negative traits. So having the starting system be restrictive enough that it rewards you for taking negative perks is always something I'm interested in.

K is for Kid, a guy or gal just like you. Don't be in such a hurry to grow up, since there's nothin' a kid can't do.

• 3 weeks later...

Well playing D&D, Savage Worlds (well in SW book get as many options) and few first campaigns of each new system I do it by book.

But for now in OWoD, L5R, Fadding Suns and some polish never-translated to english games most of characters are realy made by home rules.

With D&D one exception is a Planescape campaign I'm running now.

"Go where the others have gone, to the tenebrous limit

for the golden fleece of void, your ultimate prize

go upright among those who are on their knees

among those turning their backs on and those fallen to dust"

Zbigniew Herbert, Message of Mr. Cogito