Character Creation- By the book or DIY?

I didn't say it was impossible .. just that it would be alot easier with a sword! and alot quicker as well!  :rolleyes: ^_^

Still it's easier to kill someone with a pen then it is to write something with a sword ... :lol::-

this calls for a test!!

I dont see bush breaking a sweat.

Always outnumbered, never out gunned!

Unreal Tournament 2004 Handle:Enlight_2.0

Myspace Website!

My rig

When I first started playing PnP RGPs we always followed the systems in the books to make characters, rolling dice and spending points so and so. It was necessary to do it that way really, because otherwise you'd have your smelly little brother making some 3meter undefeatable cyborg with a laser cannon on his shoulder.

But as we got more mature we started to notice that these creation systems was in the way because you could never get a character precisely as you imagined him, you always had to compromise and deduct this  to increase that and so on. Swedish RPGs had much less of that horribly strict class-system of American D&D and such, but it was still a lot of stupid "Rangers CANT play the lute, no matter WHAT" things going on. (we did play some foreign games too like vampire, warhammer rpg, and others)

So we scrapped the rules. First we made a careful character concept, then we estimated what attributes and skills and so on would be appropriate for that character and since then, we've never looked back.

How do you guys do it? By the book or Freestyle?

Lot's of mentions about d20 system in this thread.

If you wan't game system that really let's you customize your character, get yourself Rune Quest.

Just to mention couple of things:

1. Realistic rules (IMO).

2. Rules can be easily customized.

3. Large world and you can get far even with basic set, not to mention if you get all other books too.

4. Interesting world, god and race -history. (IMO)

5. (For all you who don't like class restrictions) There is no character classes.

Your characters abilities and skills determine what he/she is. Oh, badly said. Put it this way: If you wan't to have a class, for ie. thief, ofcourse you get yourself high dexterity and put points in hide and sneak etc. Everything depends, like to say, no class restrictions. I once got pretty strong wizard casting lightning bolts, and when not casting, then swinging enemies with two-handed sword and wearing platemail. Yep. One ugly ****, who barely got that sword up. Heh.

6. And what else... Yes, the game system itself. No d20 used. It's d100 system. Like skills are in percentages. If your, lets say, skill with longsword is 50% it simply means that you got 50% change to hit someone. Also no AC things, your armor only protects you against damage. 6 point armor reduces damage 6 points etc.

Well, there was some good sides, there would be loads of more, but...

Oh, some bad sides:

1. Rune Quest is pretty hard to find from anywhere nowadays.

2. Game rules can be hard to learn. I've seen couple of times people who have got used with D&D system to have lots of problems learning d100 system.

And couple of more words.

Dices: Everything between d4 - d100 are used.

this calls for a test!!

I dont see bush breaking a sweat.

he's not killing anyone .. he's making other people kill with "swords" .. but let's switch it around and let Bush deal out orders with a weapon and send the soldiers to Iraq with pens .. I mean USA has the best military in the world right? they should prove their superiority by killing entire fields of enemies just with writing tools..

Fortune favors the bald.

• 1 month later...
he's not killing anyone .. he's making other people kill with "swords" .. but let's switch it around and let Bush deal out orders with a weapon and send the soldiers to Iraq with pens .. I mean USA has the best military in the world right? they should prove their superiority by killing entire fields of enemies just with writing tools..

You've heard of the IMF and World Bank, right? :(

OBSCVRVM PER OBSCVRIVS ET IGNOTVM PER IGNOTIVS

ingsoc.gif

OPVS ARTIFICEM PROBAT

I mean USA has the best military in the world right?

Military, in general, yes. However, Israel has the best army due to the fact that joining is mandatory.

Also, slightly off topic, but Israel looks down upon people who play PnP games as "detached from reality" and having "weak personalities."

Israeli Military Views of DnD

And I find it kind of funny

I find it kind of sad

The dreams in which I'm dying

Are the best I've ever had

Well, to add my urinative contribution to this pissing contest, the Australian armed forces have performed in the highest percentile of any in history, in all the battles they have fought.

The only problem is the size: the NYPD has more men. :("

OBSCVRVM PER OBSCVRIVS ET IGNOTVM PER IGNOTIVS

ingsoc.gif

OPVS ARTIFICEM PROBAT

• 2 weeks later...
I mean USA has the best military in the world right?

Military, in general, yes. However, Israel has the best army due to the fact that joining is mandatory.

Also, slightly off topic, but Israel looks down upon people who play PnP games as "detached from reality" and having "weak personalities."

Israeli Military Views of DnD

I wouldn't say the Isreali army is the greatest, because volutneer forces often do better than conscripts. However I do believe Isreal has quite possibly the world's finest Air Force.

You have the same planes as the US, but more flight time. The US Air Force admits the Isreali Air Force is probably superior, however the US Navy would try and lay claim to having the best pilots in the world.

As far as rules, I rarely go completely free-form, but I like a very simple, quick, streamlined system that can be applied fairly.

I find level/class based systems to be restrictive, and I prefer point-based systems that are fairly open-ended.

• 2 weeks later...

You've heard of the IMF and World Bank, right? :rolleyes:

According to UNICEF the sanctions before the war were killing 4,000 iraqis a month.

Which I admit has nothing to do with this topic.

*ducks a thrown ban +10*

ahem.

I liked the old warhammer rpg rules. You had classes, but movement between them was more to do with opportunity AND exp rather than just exp. You had to have some catalyst to turn your experience into a change in state of mind. It was also practically impossible to get uber characters without blatantly cheating.

"It wasn't lies. It was just... bull****"."

-Elwood Blues

tarna's dead; processing... complete. Disappointed by Universe. RIP Hades/Sand/etc. Here's hoping your next alt has a harp.

I've only really played in 3.5 but I don't have a problem with it. Point buy and high level game rolling generally gives me all I need to create whatever character I can imagine within a setting provided I can create my own classes, which is fun. I'm also creating my own setting. One system over another is silly D20 works. And unless your playing a FR or Eberron game I don't see why you'd even need to use it.

Yaw devs, Yaw!!! (