Long babbling question about this game...

Recently purchased this game as I have hear allot about it. My only other experience with RPG was NWN and the thing that amazes me most about this type of game is the way minor changes to attirubutes or abilites can make the same chracter far different when the game is over.

Same thing with this game. When I first began playing KoTOR II, I figured I wanted to play through as a good guy and have played it as such. I have a feeling my first character isnt going to be all that great though. I began with just the default male character and went with all the recomended setting for attributes, skills and so on, even when leveling up. When playing the game, I try to do everthing a good guy would do/say and it seems to have worked for the most part. Im as far as I can get to the light side and have +3 Lightside strenght and Im only on the planet where you are tyring to get the Doctor off the hook for murdering that female captain.

When you guys are choosing what people you want in your party, are you using the same people throughout the game? Ive been driving myself crazy trying to figure out who to bring and who to try to gain influence with. One thing that really confuses me, the blind girl. Her character sheet has her showing as mostly light side yet on the same planet I refered to above, when asking about the queen and valak, it seems she wants me to support the bad guy and do what I can to oust the queen, dosent strike me as someone who is floating on the light side of the Force. She also gives me a hard time doing good and I seem to lose influence with her each time I do.

When im done with the light side, I want to play through as a bad guy but want to make sure I have the best possible character. So in doing so, to get to the darkside as quickly as possible, I just kill/act like an ass whenever I can? How would the change the outcome of the game over the lightside?

When I play again as the bad guy, do you have any suggestions as to how I should set him up? What powers, abilities to select when leveling, what companions to use?

Sorry for being so open ended with my questions, hopefully I can keep this post alive long enough to get as many as my questions answered as possible.

Visas is a do-what-you-must character. She doesn't like to put faith in people that don't deserve it, and she doesn't like it when you do random acts of charity for nothing in return. She also... seems to think killing shaddy characters is the right thing to do.

I know this, because when you side with Queen Talia (sp?) she calls you naive for putting your faith in someone soo young and unexperienced. Also in the Pub when meet the Jedi Master (kavar, sp?) she will tell you to lob a grenade in the Pub... because it will mostlikely kill some that is deserving. Anyhow, You can gain all the influence you need with her right after you defeat her on the Ebon Hawk, just be nice to her afterwards.

If you take her out though, she is a lightsider simply because your influence with her is high... I see her more as balanced.

Consider going Jedi Consular/master/lord through your Dark Side play through. It's probably one of the most destructive... yet boring characters. Needless to say, pump lots of Wisdom and Dexerity.

So when gaining influence with someone, is it possible to make that influence stronger? The first time I thought to look at her character sheet, he light side meter was maxed out like mine, the first time I lost influence with her, it was back to were it was originaly (moderatley light side) I guess what Im asking, if you gain influence 3 times with the same character, does that make the bond any stronger?

And with that lightside/darkside meter, I understand it indicates how far to the light or dark side you are but does it effect your power at all?

For someone who is on their first run through the game wanting to be a good guy, what party members would you suggest I have with me?

Yes. Gaining influence with someone repeated will make theire light/dark side more like your own. It will also be effected by the choices to make... If you have high influence with Visasa, gaining LS points will gain her some aswell.

Light and Dark side mastery have special bonuses with each Class. They also effect the amount of FPs used when using a force power... For example.... A LS PC would have to use more FP per Lightning Cast. But if you were DS PC lightning would cost less FP per cast.

If you are trying to stay LS... Take Handmaiden/Diciples, Bao-dur and Atton.

Might not help you understand it much now, but I played through KOTOR2 at max lightside and in a relationship/storyline way I achieved everything that was possible with Visas. I probably didn't have the highest possible influence (i didnt take that much notice), but I included her in the party almost everywhere once she was introduced to the game, and I did all the usual light side stuff.

Her character is complex, and even though im not entirely sure how much was intentional by the writers, to some extent the influence isn't all that important. If your LS and you persist with the LS stuff and say the right things at a specific stage later in the game, then you will see.

When you guys are choosing what people you want in your party, are you using the same people throughout the game? Ive been driving myself crazy trying to figure out who to bring and who to try to gain influence with. One thing that really confuses me, the blind girl. Her character sheet has her showing as mostly light side yet on the same planet I refered to above, when asking about the queen and valak, it seems she wants me to support the bad guy and do what I can to oust the queen, dosent strike me as someone who is floating on the light side of the Force. She also gives me a hard time doing good and I seem to lose influence with her each time I do.

I hear you there! I found that difficult too.

Whenever I manage to play through the game next though I am definitely going to focus more on Bao-Dur/Handmaiden/Mira, as I was way to focused on Kreia/Visas/Atton in my first playthrough.

- Dan

Whenever I manage to play through the game next though I am definitely going to focus more on Bao-Dur/Handmaiden/Mira, as I was way to focused on Kreia/Visas/Atton in my first playthrough.

Yeah, those are the most confusing.

Visas like I said... Is influenced by acts of... intelligence it seems.

Kraia is odd... Respecting her lessons, and understanding them seem give you the most influence... THough, there not always light or dark.

Atton is influenced by both acts of charity... and acts of violence... it's pretty strange.

It is stange isn't it. Whether or not they succeeded is a grey area for me, but I think all of that sort of thing was part of OE's attempt to make KOTOR2 a deeper more 3-dimensional game by making giving the characters a more complex and beleivable personality instead of basically handing everything to you.

Like I said though, its debatable as to how well that worked out in the final game and everyone will have a slightly different perspective...

it was still enjoyable though :thumbsup:

- Dan

I used handmaiden for her neat hand-to-hand attacks and alternated between kreia (for buffs) and atton (for ranged support) for the most part.

I was a sentinel, so I had all the skills I needed. Bao-dur never got off the ebon hawk, likewise G0T0. And Mira. And Hk47 (a shame, that).

"You have offended my family, and you have offended the Shaolin temple." Bruce Lee, Enter the Dragon

(SPOILERS)

Atton, I think, gains influence for one of two reasons--either because that tension of guilt over Jedi is relieved by you gleefully blowing out the brains of innocent people worse than he ever did, or because your unrelenting acceptance of him of defies the stereotypes he once held and brings that remorse to the surface, along with admiration. He's pretty complex.

I see it as being possible to go several ways. You can leave him lost and adrift at neutral. You can drag him down into the dark by being like Revan and lying and manipulating until you've corrupted him and made him into a blindly obedient killing machine again. Or you can open his eyes and be like the woman who saved him, caring enough to bring him to a place of free will in the light. You can show him what the Jedi truly are instead of the propaganda he was led to believe (somewhat rightfully, since the council DID sit back while whole worlds were shattered.)

By twisting him until he's so jaded that he only feels the coldness again, you 'relieve' him of his guilt. By making him face himself, purge all those bad feelings until nothing remains but the wrenching truth and a longing for redemption, you also relieve him of his guilt--show him peace. The shadows haunting his soul are the key, whether you're light or dark. And by freeing him of them--or blinding him to them, he comes to care for you--or serve you.

So when gaining influence with someone, is it possible to make that influence stronger?  The first time I thought to look at her character sheet, he light side meter was maxed out like mine, the first time I lost influence with her, it was back to were it was originaly (moderatley light side)  I guess what Im asking, if you gain influence 3 times with the same character, does that make the bond any stronger?

And with that lightside/darkside meter, I understand it indicates how far to the light or dark side you are but does it effect your power at all?

For someone who is on their first run through the game wanting to be a good guy, what party members would you suggest I have with me?

Just save the game before you start a planet. Then you can go back and do the planet with a different set of companions. (Make it a smaller section, if you like, rather than a whole planet.) You'll soon get a feel for the characters -- especailly on Nar Shadarr, there seems to be a lot more interaction there.

OBSCVRVM PER OBSCVRIVS ET IGNOTVM PER IGNOTIVS

ingsoc.gif

OPVS ARTIFICEM PROBAT

Awesome, thanks so much for the info!

I just got off the planet I mentioned above. After the "incident" in the bar I went outside and was promptly attacked by a mob. I was supposed to by biding my time until the Jedi Master their contacts me again but it seems like everyone is saying we should leave, so I did but it dosent seem like ill be allowed back anytime soon and didnt really get to meet the Master. Did I screw that up or is it supposed to play out that way? Think im on Nar Shadar now.

Awesome, thanks so much for the info!

I just got off the planet I mentioned above.  After the "incident" in the bar I went outside and was promptly attacked by a mob.  I was supposed to by biding my time until the Jedi Master their contacts me again but it seems like everyone is saying we should leave, so I did but it dosent seem like ill be allowed back anytime soon and didnt really get to meet the Master.  Did I screw that up or is it supposed to play out that way?  Think im on Nar Shadar now.

Does kinda feel like you were run out of town, doesn't it? You didn't screw up. The Master did say he would contact you later...