What is your Alignment?

Reveilled

The Red Menace never sleeps!

And regarding alignment, I dunno. Maybe TN, because I want to be as cool as Darque. Though I supsect I have some lawful tendencies as well. (well, at least in an absolute context for "law/chaos" and "good/evil" such as the alignment system in D&D).

"McDonald's taste damn good. I'd rtahe reat their wonderful food then the poisonous junk you server in your house that's for sure.

What's funny is I'm not fat. In fact, I'm skinny. Though I am as healthy as cna be. Outside of being very ugly, and the common cold once in the blue moon I simply don't get sick."

- Volourn, Slayer of Yrkoon!

"I want a Lightsaber named Mr. Zappy" -- Darque

"I'm going to call mine Darque. Then I can turn Darque on anytime I want." -- GhostofAnakin

I disagree on your take of Lawful Evil.

Lawful Evil doesn't just mean a soldier taking orders.

Evil espouses a view of being selfish, and no moral responsibility to others. Lawful means that you follow an ethical code. You may not care about others, but you may have a principle of not attacking women or children.

So under your moral system, the Cosa Nostra (aka the Mafia misnomer) would be lawful evil?

They certainly have rigid laws, such as not attacking women and children, truces etc, and yet they are quite content to use any means necessary to get their desired outcome, such as selling illicit goods and services regardless of the detriment of others (drugs and prostitution) and using extortion ...

OBSCVRVM PER OBSCVRIVS ET IGNOTVM PER IGNOTIVS

ingsoc.gif

OPVS ARTIFICEM PROBAT

That sounds about right to me, Metadigital.

"It wasn't lies. It was just... bull****"."

-Elwood Blues

tarna's dead; processing... complete. Disappointed by Universe. RIP Hades/Sand/etc. Here's hoping your next alt has a harp.

Organized crime is so similar to a system of government, except that it has limited propaganda. What's the reasoning behind patriotism?

Can't agree with you there. That's what they'd like you to think. But in reality the majority of people mixed up in it are utterly disinterested in the collective and are solely out for themselves. they ignore all the rules, and concentrate on getting ahead.

Hey... Waitaminute...

And I can't speak for everyone, but for me patriotism is the recognition that one is part of a wider set of interests than are encompassed by your body. That by serving them you can serve your values, personal safety, and also the safety of your friends and family. It is also partly linked to the old fashioned notion of honour. That one has a duty to be patriotic towards your country just because it's there. But mostly because I don't get along well with people who are proud of not being patriotic.

Why patriotism exists at all is easier. Nations that insist on patriotism survive better than ones that don't. Which, now that I think of it, is a strong case for advancing it as a virtue. Because the collapse of a nation is never a good thing for those who live in it.

But that's just me, and I could be wrong.

-Elwood Blues

tarna's dead; processing... complete. Disappointed by Universe. RIP Hades/Sand/etc. Here's hoping your next alt has a harp.

And I can't speak for everyone, but for me patriotism is the recognition that one is part of a wider set of interests than are encompassed by your body. That by serving them you can serve your values, personal safety, and also the safety of your friends and family. It is also partly linked to the old fashioned notion of honour. That one has a duty to be patriotic towards your country just because it's there. But mostly because I don't get along well with people who are proud of not being patriotic.
People strive for honour and stability and it's all good until one such group goes off to kill another fundamentally similar group. What alignment would a leader of such a system have?

You are confusing NATIONALISM with ALTRUISM. I would hope that any definition of patriotism includes more of the latter and less of the former.

I agree. When defending the honor or name of a nation, they often aren't really concerned with the well-being of it's people, but more so defending the concept of the country.

You are confusing NATIONALISM with ALTRUISM. I would hope that any definition of patriotism includes more of the latter and less of the former.

I agree. When defending the honor or name of a nation, they often aren't really concerned with the well-being of it's people, but more so defending the concept of the country.

Sometime these interests coincide.

Fionavar's Holliday Wishes to all members of our online community:  Happy Holidays

Join the revelry at the Obsidian Plays channel:
Obsidian Plays

Remembering tarna, Phosphor, Metadigital, and Visceris.  Drink mead heartily in the halls of Valhalla, my friends!

Sometime these interests coincide.

Which was my point, but better made, perhaps.

I do have some demands in reverse, for example. If we started conducting genocide, or broadcasting live test-match cricket, for example, I'd not bother. But so long as we rank pretty high on my list of countries, I'm willing to protect and serve that.

-Elwood Blues

You are for genocide and against test-match cricket?

Pick up your gaunlet, sir, I challenge thee to a duel!

Certainly. 58,000 paces then we shall commence slapping!

But before you set off, understand that I was simply acknowledging that my reasons are probably not wholly internally consistent. But then, you got no choice about living, and no choice about dying, so worrying overmuch about how you do either seems a little fruitless. :rolleyes:

-Elwood Blues

• 2 weeks later...

I really don't see the necessity for patriotism when a person has absolute love for the entire human race. Patriotism can inspire honor and courage from time to time, but a person should pride himself more on his love for his kind rather than his love for his country. A German didn't choose to be born a German. He could easily have been born a French. It's silly for nations bear any kind of grudge against each other, since nations are simply concepts drawn by the imperfections of man.