Hate to break it to all your KotOR III new avatars

The easiest, most plausible and simplest explanation for starting a character at a lower level is due to a loss of training.

For example, if a soldier in the special forces takes a holiday, their training is interrupted and they no longer are fit enough to fight. They would have to re-train to regain the level of fitness they once had.

So, like Jolee Bindo, Revan or the Exile might have stopped, or been prevented, from gaining experience and maintaining their level; it is quite reasonable to assume that they would lose some of their ability to fight/wield the force. :thumbsup:

OBSCVRVM PER OBSCVRIVS ET IGNOTVM PER IGNOTIVS

ingsoc.gif

OPVS ARTIFICEM PROBAT

The easiest, most plausible and simplest explanation for starting a character at a lower level is due to a loss of training.

For example, if a soldier in the special forces takes a holiday, their training is interrupted and they no longer are fit enough to fight. They would have to re-train to regain the level of fitness they once had.

So, like Jolee Bindo, Revan or the Exile might have stopped, or been prevented, from gaining experience and maintaining their level; it is quite reasonable to assume that they would lose some of their ability to fight/wield the force. o:)

But if your talking about Revan and the Exile then that really doesn't fit for K3 since they would have been in an almost constant state of battle since the end of both K1 and K2 (depending on which character your talking about), SO they shouldn't loose levels they should infact gain them. It would make even less sense if they do decide to make K3 a direct continuation, since the Exile should start K3 at the same level as he was when he left the trayus core.

"The only difference between genius and stupidity is genius has its limits!" - Albert Einstein.

"It's better to be thought a fool, than to open your mouth and remove all doubt!"

"You can try to kill me, you'd fail!, but you can try!" - Revan.

"When you have exhausted all other possibilities whatever remains, however improbable must be the truth." - Sherlock Holmes (a.k.a. Sir Arthur Conan Dole)

"A lack of planning on your part, does not constitute an emergency on my part"

AscendedPaladin.png

This is a really interesting topic, and I think a lot of you should go into the business of script writing, however there is one impression that the ending of K2 left me with and that is that the exile, whether he or she ,has got to travel to the outer rim to find Reven. Everything in the ending points to that conclusion. If there is a third episode OE can't just ignore the hints they gave in K2. I don't know how they'll handle it, it would be on a par with trying to make a sequel to PST but they have to find some way to bring K1 and K2 together and find some closure. I just hope that whatever they do It will answer all the things they left out of K2.

MetaDigitial makes sense.

StarGate you have to remember that there are three poweful camps.

Revan Camp: I am a proud member of.(I would be happy a completed Revan story with or without him being a PC).

Exile Camp: He is cool. He deserves a better game.

The New Guy Camp: After Kotor 3, I wouldnt mind kotor series taken into a new Direction.

But if your talking about Revan and the Exile then that really doesn't fit for K3 since they would have been in an almost constant state of battle since the end of both K1 and K2 (depending on which character your talking about), SO they shouldn't loose levels they should infact gain them. It would make even less sense if they do decide to make K3 a direct continuation, since the Exile should start K3 at the same level as he was when he left the trayus core.

Well, you don't really know what has happened in the interim ... maybe one or both spent months/years floating in space after a crash / during long transit to the outer part of the Outer Rim ... Maybe they might have been damaged (lose an arm and you must loose some STR / DEX / CON; a good head shot would certainly destroy some INT/WIS/CHA, if not grant a lobotomy and take off a few experience levels ...)

I mean unless a character is constantly earning experience, then logic suggests (based on real life) that it will gradually ebb away.

Take memory for example: average memory loss after 24 hours is over 60%, the graph of recall versus time gradually shallowing as time passes, but the net memory is proportionally tiny. (This is a factor of attention, so more focus gives longevity of memory, which is why I can remember the events a few seconds either side of the photgraphs I was shot in when I was two years old, but not the exact shirt I wore on Tuesday last week.)

So I would say it is more consistent that the characters have lost at least some of their experience. Maybe down to level 5 or so? :ph34r:

Running around (semi-) naked and ill or injured is another tactic that I like to see implemented, too. Perhaps after capture you escape (like in K1) so that you can't rely on implants and bonus due to equipment for a time. (And there definitely should be a cap on bonuses added to attributes: anything over +10 is warping the concept beyond sane levels and is undeniably, ineluctably, indubitably munkinism. :- )

It's all moot anyway; the experience scale was so skewed that after a couple of fights the PC was at the next level, anyway. :devil:"

ingsoc.gif

OPVS ARTIFICEM PROBAT

Well, you don't really know what has happened in the interim ... maybe one or both spent months/years floating in space after a crash / during long transit to the outer part of the Outer Rim ... Maybe they might have been damaged (lose an arm and you must loose some STR / DEX / CON; a good head shot would certainly destroy some INT/WIS/CHA, if not grant a lobotomy and take off a few experience levels ...)

I mean unless a character is constantly earning experience, then logic suggests (based on real life) that it will gradually ebb away.

Take memory for example: average memory loss after 24 hours is over 60%, the graph of recall versus time gradually shallowing as time passes, but the net memory is proportionally tiny. (This is a factor of attention, so more focus gives longevity of memory, which is why I can remember the events a few seconds either side of the photgraphs I was shot in when I was two years old, but not the exact shirt I wore on Tuesday last week.)

So I would say it is more consistent that the characters have lost at least some of their experience. Maybe down to level 5 or so? :ph34r:

Running around (semi-) naked and ill or injured is another tactic that I like to see implemented, too. Perhaps after capture you escape (like in K1) so that you can't rely on implants and bonus due to equipment for a time. (And there definitely should be a cap on bonuses added to attributes: anything over +10 is warping the concept beyond sane levels and is undeniably, ineluctably, indubitably munkinism. :- )

It's all moot anyway; the experience scale was so skewed that after a couple of fights the PC was at the next level, anyway. :-"

Well the thing is that we can reasonably assume that they would have been gaining XP at a fairly steady rate since the finish of either game. We were told in K2 that the "True Sith Empire" was really strong and that they would have techniques that no one in known space would know/ or have seen in a really long time. SO I would think that they would have a hell of a fight on their hands. Even if you were to say that Revan was DS at the end of K1 then he would be constently learning these acient techniques from the "True Sith". Not too mention the fact that he would be constantly testing his skills. The Exile on the other hand is the only one that it could make sense to start at a somewhat lower level than he finished at, only if he doesn't have any companions with him since a lot of his power comes from being around force sensitives, but again if K3 is going to be a direct continuation then its likely that he would retain almost all of his power maybe loosing at most 2 or 3 levels in the time between games. Also I would consider a direct continuation to be for K3 to start at the same point where K2 ended, not a year, month or day after but right at the minute K2 ended (i.e. we start the game entering hyper space at M5 and heading for a world unknown).

"The only difference between genius and stupidity is genius has its limits!" - Albert Einstein.

"It's better to be thought a fool, than to open your mouth and remove all doubt!"

"When you have exhausted all other possibilities whatever remains, however improbable must be the truth." - Sherlock Holmes (a.k.a. Sir Arthur Conan Dole)

AscendedPaladin.png

I don't see why everyone is in such a hurry to have the player character start off with a low (or 1) level. Anyone remember the transition between Baldur's Gate and Baldur's Gate 2? We started off with level 1 in the first game, level 7 in the second and it worked out swell.

-Ben

Edited by OneWithStrange

I don't see why everyone is in such a hurry to have the player character start off with a low (or 1) level.  Anyone remember the transition between Baldur's Gate and Baldur's Gate 2?  We started off with level 1 in the first game, level 7 in the second and it worked out swell.

-Ben

Sure, and the NwN OC had the second mod (SoU) start at level 8 (I think) and the third (HoU) start at 15, so it is not unheard of.

Just based on current form I wouldn't be surprised if the pubishers/developers take the path of least effort ...

ingsoc.gif

OPVS ARTIFICEM PROBAT

Lets move a little bit away from the he said, she said in K2 stuff and look at it maybe this way.

1) Why didn't we play as Revan in K2? Well Lucasarts wanted it to appeal to people who hadn't played K1. Is there some reason why that would change if theres a K3? Nope

2) Obsidian knew only that they had been contracted to make K2 and no other Kotor game. So really what they said about what may or may not have happened to Revan is as easily erasable as anything or anyone in K1. Did Lucasarts say, "Make a character that will show up in the next game, that we don't know if you're going to have anything to do with or not." Probaly not. Did they say, "Just make sure that what ever you say about what happen to Revan was ambigious enough for us to write it out in favor of whatever we decide." Probaly.

People laugh when I say that I think a jellyfish is one of the most beautiful things in the world. What they don't understand is, I mean a jellyfish with long, blond hair.

Lets move a little bit away from the he said, she said in K2 stuff and look at it maybe this way.

1) Why didn't we play as Revan in K2? Well Lucasarts wanted it to appeal to people who hadn't played K1. Is there some reason why that would change if theres a K3? Nope

2) Obsidian knew only that they had been contracted to make K2 and no other Kotor game. So really what they said about what may or may not have happened to Revan is as easily erasable as anything or anyone in K1. Did Lucasarts say, "Make a character that will show up in the next game, that we don't know if you're going to have anything to do with or not." Probaly not. Did they say, "Just make sure that what ever you say about what happen to Revan was ambigious enough for us to write it out in favor of whatever we decide." Probaly.

Judging by the completely expedient philosphical underpinnings of K2, I would have to agree with you; the net value added by completing this game is approximately zero: no benefit and no penalty. It felt like a diversion.

Will they do it again? Why not! :lol::shifty::thumbsup:

ingsoc.gif

OPVS ARTIFICEM PROBAT

Whenever I see the title of this thread, I keep on thinking, 'All your base are belong to us'! :thumbsup:

I think KOTOR III should either have a new character - the Exile was boring, and any attempt to take Revan's powers down would just be stupid. The only other option is if they create a whole new raft of force powers, and take the levels of the powers up to six or something. That way Revan can keep the bulk of her powers, but still have something to work towards.

Very well put Laozi! I also must agree with what your saying here :lol: . The chances of LA using another developer is rather high since OE already has another hidden project on the fore front so the likely hood that they will do that and another KOTOR is highly unlikely. So LA likely instructed OE to leave it so that if another developer was to take over the rains of the KOTOR series they would have as much freedom as is possible in the starwars universe.

The only other option is if they create a whole new raft of force powers, and take the levels of the powers up to six or something.  That way Revan can keep the bulk of her powers, but still have something to work towards.

I am not sure if I really understand what your saying here, can you explain it a little more.

AscendedPaladin.png

• 2 years later...

I think they should make your character a Old Republic war Hero,that survived the war between the Old Republic and Darth Nhilus' army of Sith warriors; that is being trained in the ways of the Jedi by Bastilla Shan, in order to help her, Admiral Onasi, and the army of the Old Republic find Revan.

It is the force ghost of a thread... it will linger for a while, offering wisdom from the past before disappearing for good into obscurity.

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein