Hate to break it to all your KotOR III new avatars

Ok, first of all, Revan and The Exile don't have to lose force powers. Remember how Kreia explained that the old sith lords were far better with the lightsaber than the jedi of today (a KOTOR 2 day that is), also implying that they were better with the force than the average jedi as well. Well, the true sith empire is the place where these teachings would be known, as they are the empires of the old sith lords. Having knowlage of such technique would make them strong foes. It is plausible that Revan and The Exile would find themselves close to even with the average (or maybe a little higher up) sith. It is also plausible that Revan and The Exile would have to learn to take out groups of soldiers quickly, as gorilla tactics would have to be used to prevail. This may sound a bit corny, but how much more corny is two jedi facing off with a sith emprie and coming out on top.

As for who to play, The Exile and Revan could be exchangeble main characters as their fates are intertwined. The creation of both charaters could be done at the begining of the game, or as you meet them. The "getting used to the game" section (Peragus, Endar Spire), could be where The Exile finds Revan. As for the story, I don't really care as long as there are no (obviously large)plot holes, "open minded" endings( I think what most people seek is a conclusion), or underused/just plain crappy villans.

As for those who say the reopening of Revan's story was a mistake, would you rather have him dead? He would have to be if he wasn't in KOTOR 2, who dosn't notice the disaparence of the jedi, unless they are dead or to far away.

JAT: The place where Revan went could be a reverse of republic space. A dark side galaxy where there are planets with the power of the light side that the sith think to dangerous to reside on (kind of like korriban, but for light side jedi).

Ok, first of all, Revan and The Exile don't have to lose force powers.  Remember how Kreia explained that the old sith lords were far better with the lightsaber than the jedi of today (a KOTOR 2 day that is), also implying that they were better with the force than the average jedi as well. Well, the true sith empire is the place where these teachings would be known, as they are the empires of the old sith lords.  Having knowlage of such technique would make them strong foes. It is plausible that Revan and The Exile would find themselves close to even with the average (or maybe a little higher up) sith. 

Yes they do our how are you going to have the leveling? It would be really kind of odd to have a character at the begining of the game start out at the max level now that would kind of ruin the whole feel of the game... come on have you ever seen a game where you start with almost all the available force powers and almost all the feats too? If so then I am betting that it wasn't really a fun play.

How exactly are they going to choose which of the force powers or feats that people would have chosen during their level ups? I know what your getting at but the thing is that just with what you have said here it would be a programming nightmare to make this game not to mention very confusing for anyone who hasn't already played both of the prior games since they wont know what the feats and powers are and what they do (I know I hate being given powers I don't want or use during level ups so imagine being forced to have 5 or 10 useless feat/powers from the start).

Now if you were to also say that they should start at level 20-30 (depending on character without cheats) where are they too go from there as to level ups? what are we going to have level 200 Revan and Exile running around by K4? there has to come a point where they just say enough is enough and move on, mention them from time to time but no longer use them as main plot points. I say why wait why not just do it in K3 rather than dragging these characters through the mud anymore than you have to.

As for those who say the reopening of Revan's story was a mistake, would you rather have him dead?  He would have to be if he wasn't in KOTOR 2, who dosn't notice the disaparence of the jedi, unless they are dead or to far away.

See this wouldn't have been an issue if they had decided to start the game more than 5 years after K1, now I am not sure who is at fault for this whether it is LA who decided this or if it was OE who chose this but it has basically caused a major problem which I don't think anyone can really work around without pissing off a lot of people in the process. Revan wouldn't have to be dead, heck they could have just said he left for the unknown regions to find himself and everyone would have been happy, but they kept bringing it too the gammers attention everytime you talked to basically anyone in the game. And to be honest yes I would have more than likely prefered him to be dead rather than off on some super secret super hero mission that only he could solve because he was the best of the bestest jedi, kinda kills the whole feel of the tourtured character from K1 who is just trying to to save the galaxy and while doing so maybe find some love.

"The only difference between genius and stupidity is genius has its limits!" - Albert Einstein.

"It's better to be thought a fool, than to open your mouth and remove all doubt!"

"You can try to kill me, you'd fail!, but you can try!" - Revan.

"When you have exhausted all other possibilities whatever remains, however improbable must be the truth." - Sherlock Holmes (a.k.a. Sir Arthur Conan Dole)

"A lack of planning on your part, does not constitute an emergency on my part"

AscendedPaladin.png

I didn't buy this game (or K1) because it's Star Wars or I particularly wanted to sling a lightsaber or become a Jedi. Nor are the latest and greatest graphics and animation enough to earn any game a place on my hard drive.

I don't think I'm the only gamer who bought K2 sight unseen for one simple reason alone--because Obsidian promised to continue a story I liked very much. It was a challenge to meet Bioware on its own terms, and they did very well for themselves. The story--REVAN's story--had value, and they exploited it as well as enhanced it. That was not wrong. If there are no writers capable of seeing and calling the bet, no designers creative enough to make K3 work, then this industry isn't just drifting, it's already dead.

Unless anything that bears the Kotor name upholds the standards of the first two games, there is no more 'series'. That means playing fair, not having some unknown padawan in another galaxy far far away spewing five minutes of exposition in a history lesson. I'd rather listen to Kreia on Malachor. At least she's a character I care about.

Why would it be so bad if Revan and the exile start as lvl 1 characters with some bonus feats (e.g. jedi veterans or similar).

But the thing is WHY did they go back to level 1??? I mean they have been fighting a constant battle since the end of either game and should infact be a higher level NOT a lower one!!! So that would just make it impossible to use either one of them for a PC and with them being at such a high level it would make it nearly impossible for them to show up in the game other than for the last ten minutes... so whats the piont?

I didn't buy this game (or K1) because it's Star Wars or I particularly wanted to sling a lightsaber or become a Jedi.  Nor are the latest and greatest graphics and animation enough to earn any game a place on my hard drive. 

I don't think I'm the only gamer who bought K2 sight unseen for one simple reason alone--because Obsidian promised to continue a story I liked very much.  It was a challenge to meet Bioware on its own terms, and they did very well for themselves.  The story--REVAN's story--had value, and they exploited it as well as enhanced it.  That was not wrong.  If there are no writers capable of seeing and calling the bet, no designers creative enough to make K3 work, then this industry isn't just drifting, it's already dead.

Unless anything that bears the Kotor name upholds the standards of the first two games, there is no more 'series'.  That means playing fair, not having some unknown padawan in another galaxy far far away spewing five minutes of exposition in a history lesson.  I'd rather listen to Kreia on Malachor.  At least she's a character I care about.

So what your saying is that you knew nothing of the KOTOR saga before you bought K2? by the way I don't ever remember OE saying they were going to continue revans story (to do that they would have really had to HAVE revan in the game, not just a mention of him everytime you turn around). A game can uphold the standards of the past two games without limiting its self to the already set time frame and characters. So to your comment about not wanting some unknown PC lecturing you on Revans and Exiles story for five minutes well what do you call Revan in the first game? he was an unknown (prior to the leviathon) and the whole story was build around darth revan whom the player never knew was indeed the PC until it was fully revealed (most might have suspected it but they couldn't have been positive until that moment).

I don't consider the KOTOR series to be "Revan's series" sure the first game was about Revan and him finding out the truth. But K2 was purely about the Exile, sure there was NPCs that talked about Revan and where he went but it (as far as I am concerned anyway) falls under the same catagory that the constant EU refrences in K1 did, just a tip of the hat to the fans who might be playing it. And while I am sure that someone is going to argue with me on this point because

the Exile could go out to find Revan

I still don't think that is a good enough reason to say that the whole story thus far revolves around Revan. As I have said before this series is called Knights of the old republic thus meaning the stories are going to revolve around more than just one knight.

"The only difference between genius and stupidity is genius has its limits!" - Albert Einstein.

"It's better to be thought a fool, than to open your mouth and remove all doubt!"

"When you have exhausted all other possibilities whatever remains, however improbable must be the truth." - Sherlock Holmes (a.k.a. Sir Arthur Conan Dole)

AscendedPaladin.png

The great thing about the plot I've outlined is that instead of one conversation at the start as with Atton this could be spread out over the course of the game.

Yes it certainly is a better mechanism than a single conversation with multiple choices; which is soooooo lacksedaisically lame. (Did anyone accidentally make an unitententional selection with Atton: you had to wade through about five minutes of dialogue either side of running to a computer terminal -- very annoying for those who wanted to reload.)

The PC is searching for clues as to what happened to Revan and the Exile, so bits and pieces of information can be picked up over time. Male or female? That could be information you're piecing together in T3. LS or DS? That could come up when questioning NPCs who knew them. Same with consular, sentinal, or guardian.

Yep, and what would be an even better tactic is not having "LightSide Jedi Master / Sentinel" as one of the choices, but instead the characters would describe Revan and the Exile in their own words, and some might disagree (or have a hidden agenda -- just because Juhani was Light Side in K1 doesn't mean she will be in K3. for example) ... adds a bit more imprecision and reality to the process.

By the time you get the coordinates of the planet you need to go to to find them, it would be possible to have a fairly accurate match to the PCs you enjoyed most in the first two game. Heck, they could even have the same lightsabers. There will like be some changes in feats and force powers, but this would be years later and they've been spending their time embroiled in a fight for survival so that would make sense too.

I have little confidence this will materialise, however, considering the one-dimensional strategy used in K2; one conversation with four multiple-choice answers for PC's background and a large PC psychological diagnosis in the cave for the sake of a single battle! (Why this wasn't used to tailor the endgame leads me to assume the developers' left hand didn't know what the right hand was doing.)

OBSCVRVM PER OBSCVRIVS ET IGNOTVM PER IGNOTIVS

ingsoc.gif

OPVS ARTIFICEM PROBAT

So what your saying is that you knew nothing of the KOTOR saga before you bought K2?

No. I bought K1 when it came out because Bioware's name was on the box. They do story-based rpg. (As did K2's team before they became Obsidian Ent.). I generally liked what they brought to the genre in terms of character, story complexity and player involvement. Preview material for K2 was available.

Any number of themes or theads can be picked up from a complex story, depending on the angle it is viewed from. What you propose is your opinion. All I'm saying is that it doesn't have to be so; and I may not be the only one who hopes for something less generic.

How about starting the game at a hidden Jedi academy run by Revan. Either light side or dark side (maybe you can choose). You play one of the padawans and go through a test to start the game. If you pass it (which is compulsory or game over) then Revan chooses you to carry out his/her deeds. After this, you go on whatever "find four <insert objects or people here>" quest they plan to fill the game, and then later on, depending on your alignment and others things, you can choose to go back and fight Revan or remain his servant and fight whichever "big boss" he has you kill (so you get to choose between fighting Revan and another big boss, which will make people want to re-play the game). As for Exile, maybe they should do the storyline that he went to Revan but was beaten by him. Face it, Exile isn't as interesting, and to have Revan destroy this super-powerful character your ended KOTOR2 with would increase his aura of invincibility. If not though, maybe he could be that "other" big boss I was talking about. Revan vs. Exile and you are the star pupil, destined to kill one or the other.

Why would it be so bad if Revan and the exile start as lvl 1 characters with some bonus feats (e.g. jedi veterans or similar).

But the thing is WHY did they go back to level 1??? I mean they have been fighting a constant battle since the end of either game and should infact be a higher level NOT a lower one!!! So that would just make it impossible to use either one of them for a PC and with them being at such a high level it would make it nearly impossible for them to show up in the game other than for the last ten minutes... so whats the piont?

If you see it that way then also Revan in K1 should start a highier level, because he mus have been a soldier for some time.

And Exile was around the galaxy for 10 years after the battle of malachor 5.

So just relax and try to enjoy a game.

And by the light of the moon

He prays for their beauty not doom

I'm a first time poster, so cut me some slack please. :lol: I do agree that KOTOR2 made it very difficult for KOTOR3 makers if they want to continue the story. There are a lot of holes to fill, as well as many different scenarios to create depending on if you were LS, DS, male or female. But I like the idea of creating a new Jedi. Lets face it, that is one of the more fun things to do in both games. Being able to chose my avatar and develop my character the way I want to is both fun and rewarding. Here is my idea on how to solve some of the problems (critique away :thumbsup: ).

Both Reven and the Exile had something that made them stand apart form other Jedi. Why not do this for the new Jedi as well? The new Jedi could have the power to see Jedi Ghosts. This could add all the old, dead Jedis to the game (the ones on Korriban for DS, the ones from Dantooine for LS). Just an idea, could either Reven or the Exile not come back as "ghosts" (similar to how Obi-wan came back to guide Luke). One or both could come back to guide and teach this new Jedi to follow in their footsteps to find and defeat (or join) the New Sith. This would give a reason for the new Jedi to be at level 1 and having such powerful mentors could explain why the new Jedi becomes powerful rather quickly. This could solve the problem of either Reven or the Exile and would be different from the amnesiac Jedi that happened in both KOTOR's. I for one would like to see both games "resolved" and since their is a precedent in SW for trilogies, why not have a third and final installment?

... I like the idea of creating a new Jedi.  Lets face it, that is one of the more fun things to do in both games.  Being able to chose my avatar and develop my character the way I want to is both fun and rewarding.  Here is my idea on how to solve some of the problems (critique away :blink: ) ...

Yep, I would say that there is a better than even chance that this will be the scenario the developers follow, assuming there is a third game. I wish there were more models to choose from: instead of half a dozen heads, lets have different races and sizes etc. If Yoda can be a Jedi, then a Gizka can too (well, maybe not a Gizka. Unless they are merely the physical manifestation of multi-dimensional super beings in this universe ... but I digress.)

... either Reven or the Exile not come back as "ghosts" (similar to how Obi-wan came back to guide Luke).  One or both could come back to guide and teach this new Jedi to follow in their footsteps to find and defeat (or join) the New Sith.  This would give a reason for the new Jedi to be at level 1 and having such powerful mentors could explain why the new Jedi becomes powerful rather quickly.  This could solve the problem of either Reven or the Exile and would be different from the amnesiac Jedi that happened in both KOTOR's. 

The only problem with this idea is that Revan would have to be dead. Most people would like play their Revan again, so there might be some resistance to this idea.

Good ideas though.

Nice avatar, too. :sorcerer:

OBSCVRVM PER OBSCVRIVS ET IGNOTVM PER IGNOTIVS

ingsoc.gif

OPVS ARTIFICEM PROBAT

If you see it that way then also Revan in K1 should start a highier level, because he mus have been a soldier for some time.

And Exile was around the galaxy for 10 years after the battle of malachor 5.

So just relax and try to enjoy a game.

well the thing is with both Revan and the Exile is that they tried to explain why they had lost thier powers

(Revan having all his memories striped away by the order causing the loss in knowledge needed to use the force, and for the Exile well he cut himself off from the force in order to survive)

and to be fair the did a fairly reasonable job dooing so. But the thing is that if they choose to use either character again what are they going to do in order to solve this problem? They can't have either loose their memories again or have either cut themselves off from the force again, since both have been done and by doing it again it would only serve to anoy the fans of the series.

AscendedPaladin.png

WHAT ABOUT ALTER EGOS???????????????????????

ummm.... ok.... so we are going to have CRAZY! Jedi now??? :( Ok for some reason, and you can call me crazy for this if you like, but I doubt that they will choose that idea. It still wouldn't solve the problem of their power level. It would only hide the fact of who they are from the player nothing more, their power would have stay they same or else it wouldn't make any sense what so ever.

AscendedPaladin.png

I mean like Revan having alter ego to avoid Assasins and Bounty Hunters while gaining allies.

Revan is smart enough to learn to hid his powers.

I am just using Revan as an Example. I do know there are alot of Revan and Exile Fans.

As far as I know Jedi can't hide their power like those in the DragonBall Z/GT universe can, I know they can hide what they look like but if they are around other force sensitives they will be found out quickly.

AscendedPaladin.png

remember those hiding Jedi Masters; Also Remember Darth Sidious and how he hid his powers in FRONT OF the Jedi Masters while he was Palptine.

It is possible for Revan or Exile to hid their powers if they had a good reason too.

Remember Canderous/Mandolare was a LVL 5 when Exile meet him at Dxun but Revan meet him earlier when Canderous was at LVL 7.

Also Canderous does level up to lvl 20 in Kotor 1 yet was a lower lvl in KOTOR 2 without anything happening to him.

remember those hiding Jedi Masters - They were hiding on worlds touched by the darkside/war thus making it harder for them to sensed.

Also Remember Darth Sidious and how he hid his powers in FRONT OF the Jedi Masters while he was Palptine. - Was it not explained that he was known to be force sensitive but had been too old for training, if so then it would only stand to reason that the Masters would know about his connections to the force and not suspect him anymore than anyone else.

Remember Canderous/Mandolare was a LVL 5 when Exile meet him at Dxun but Revan meet him earlier when Canderous was at LVL 7. - That was sort of explained in the game (or maybe it was Chris Avalone who said that back in Oct/Nov) as to him getting older and thus he required more stims and implants to remain strong.

It is possible for Revan or Exile to hid their powers if they had a good reason too. - I see what your getting at but it still doesn't make much sense to me.

AscendedPaladin.png

Remember Obi Wan, he hid Tatooine and handful of people knew who he was.

Also Tatooine wasnt deeply touched by the force. He was Hiding from Vader and keeping an eye on young Luke.

If there is a popular demand for Revan or Exile, they will find a plasible way for them to return as PC.

The only way they can be playable is thru as a PC route.

As for me, I would make a three disc.

Revan: 1 Disc.

Exile: 2 Disc.

New Guy: 3 Disc.

Winning a game with Revan Unlocks Exile; Winning the Game with Exile Unlocks New Guy.

I will write down my ideas later