Hate to break it to all your KotOR III new avatars

Like a lot of people, im happy if there is a new PC character, as long as they take the time to think out the storyline and give adequate closure where needed to all of the plotlines and character relationships that have been left in an unsatisfying way from the last 2 games (as well as any new ones they create).

Beyond that... I think I actually like the idea that the new character is a jedi trained at the 'new' academy run by the old party members from KOTOR2, as i was one of the more prominant suggestions by Kreia at the end too.

Without going nuts with spoilers can someone answer this please?:

At the end of KOTOR2 as a DS player, is it basically a mirror image of possibilities to the LS ending? Do you get the "choice" to stay on malachor V (or have your followers stay) and train future sith?

Cheers :blink:

- Dan

I don't believe the KOTOR series has to limit the player to being a jedi exclusively. What I'd like to see is the player being given the option to become a jedi. Even if it's just two options..going down the path to becoming a jedi..or some other route. The bounty hunter idea is valid I suppose, but it's hard to see a bounty hunter fitting into a storyline about saving the republic. Perhaps a soldier or something. Either way, I would like to see at least one option that the player can take in place of becoming a jedi that has an affect on the course of the story.

This would be a great addition for people who have played both games in the series so far and would relish the opportunity to play an entirely different kind of character, that perhaps doesn't have to focus on the whole light/dark side dynamic.

So, where is this Jedi coming from, the lost son of Darth Sion?  No, KotOR III will start with either the exile or revan, or both.  There is no way you can add a new "Hero Jedi" to the mix.

Why not?

I mean I can see your point if (and only IF!!!) either OE or Bio is going to do K3 but if neither of them gets the contract then I think that whoever is doing it should start over and forget about the past two story lines and start from sratch. There are a couple reasons why I think this should happen, The first one would be because for someone else to use these characters in another story would only serve to destroy everything that made both of the characters good/great. The other reason is because it would be nearly impossible for whoever is programing the game to make it work right with characters that would start the game at level 20+ and for both Revan and the Exile to loose their memory/powers between games would just be lame and poor planning on the side of both the producers and the designers.

But I wonder why it is that a lot of people seem to think that they want Revan and Exile back for K3 "No matter what!"? I mean they (being whoever designs K3) could make a great game if they decided to step away from the past two story lines, it would give them more freedom in their story ideas and more freedom for character development than was available in K2 (since even though it was a new PC and Party NPCs it still stalled around Revan). Everything that was left open in K2 could be wrapped up in the first few hours of K3 without forcing the story line to revolve around the old characters. I say make either a short begining/unlockable movie that explains what happend or a playable tutorial that takes you through the final stages of the Revan/Exile story arc. I say they should set the game 30-100 years in the future (KOTOR time) for all the reasons I have listed above.

"The only difference between genius and stupidity is genius has its limits!" - Albert Einstein.

"It's better to be thought a fool, than to open your mouth and remove all doubt!"

"You can try to kill me, you'd fail!, but you can try!" - Revan.

"When you have exhausted all other possibilities whatever remains, however improbable must be the truth." - Sherlock Holmes (a.k.a. Sir Arthur Conan Dole)

"A lack of planning on your part, does not constitute an emergency on my part"

AscendedPaladin.png

The game is unfinished. Entire endings, sidequests, dialogue and plots are left out. Hours of play with no worthwhile resolution to many quests. My advice is DO NOT waste hours of your time on this rip-off. If this crap is not patched I will not be wasting my time with KTOR3.

All you people who want a new avatar, you all have good reasons, but there just can't be a new hero. Unless they make a patch for PC and Xbox Live, there wont be a new hero untill Kotor IX( if there is one). Either they make a patch that finishes the story, or they use Kotor III to finish the story. Your choice.

Mace Windu: Palpatine, we have come to arrest you.

Palpatine: Want a banana?

Mace Windu: ....

You don't have to start Revan or the Exile at level 20 or higher. Think about this, Kreia was really really weak when you get to Dantooine to meet/kill the jedi. Then at Malachor she is freakin' strong as hell. It could be like that. Revan or the Exile is pretending, hiding, covering up for something. You don't have to know that in the begining. You start as a Jedi and later find out that you were using a cover name or somesuch.

Or not.

You could start as Revan and find that somehow the same thing happened to Revan. He encountered one of the new Sith that used the same power as the MSG and Revan, rather than die, turned away from the force, now trying to reconnect.

It seems to me though that the Exile might become a lot like Nihilus, feeding on others.

Just my 2 cents.

The game is unfinished. Entire endings, sidequests, dialogue and plots are left out. Hours of play with no worthwhile resolution to many quests. My advice is DO NOT waste hours of your time on this rip-off. If this crap is not patched I will not be wasting my time with KTOR3.

But since OE was told (by LA) that they couldn't make a content patch to fix some of the more noticeable story flaws (inc. the lackluster ending and the HK factory).

All you people who want a new avatar, you all have good reasons, but there just can't be a new hero.  Unless they make a patch for PC and Xbox Live, there wont be a new hero untill Kotor IX( if there is one). Either they make a patch that finishes the story, or they use Kotor III to finish the story. Your choice.

First off the Xbox version has no hope of ever being patched since it no longer supports Xbox Live. The second thing is that every great writer will tell you that the best thing a writer can do is to leave the reader (or in this case the player) wanting more, and too this end OE succeeded beyond a shadow of a doubt. But I still don't really understand what it is your wanting, I mean if they finish the story of the Exile there are going to be people who want them to instead finish the story of revan and if they choose to finish the story of Revan there will be people who think that they should have finished the story of the Exile first. And while at some point down the line these two stories might intersect they wont for atleast another game, Since I would doubt that the Exile would find Revan in the first 15 minutes of game play after all unknown space is rather large and all and as far as I know the Exile still doesn't know where reavn went other than the fact that s/he went to the unknown regions. So with all that said it would mean that saying OE either doesn't get the contract for K3 or instead they pass it up in order to develope an original game then atleast one other company is going to be using someone elses characters and story line while not fully understanding the thought process that went behind it, thus increasing the chances of K3 (and possibly K4) being a total let down to play and the death stroke of the saga.

You don't have to start Revan or the Exile at level 20 or higher. Think about this, Kreia was really really weak when you get to Dantooine to meet/kill the jedi. Then at Malachor she is freakin' strong as hell. It could be like that. Revan or the Exile is pretending, hiding, covering up for something. You don't have to know that in the begining. You start as a Jedi and later find out that you were using a cover name or somesuch.

First off is the idea you have for restarting their character development? basically your wanting them to do the samething to both Revan and the Exile that they did to Revan in the first game (i.e. take away everything that made him/her who they were and start from scratch). In its self thats not such a bad idea except that its been done twice before and the players will be expecting it as soon as they hear that K3 is in development thus making it ineffective as a story idea and thus something that not only could hurt sales of the game from already established fans but also drive the much needed new fans away from the project (mainly because they might not already know who Revan or the Exile are and what their past stories were about making it harder for them to enter the fray as easy as LA and any developer would like).

You could start as Revan and find that somehow the same thing happened to Revan. He encountered one of the new Sith that used the same power as the MSG and Revan, rather than die, turned away from the force, now trying to reconnect.

It seems to me though that the Exile might become a lot like Nihilus, feeding on others.

Just my 2 cents.

Once again its something that was used once before and thus the fan base will be expecting it.

There are two easy ways to solve these problems The first is to have each game take place with a different PC set in the same time period thus giving the player a different perspective on all the given events that are going on in the starwars universe (not necessarily directly following the story of revan or the exile nor necessarily completing the story lines of either of them). The second way (and my personal favorite) is to not only start the game with a new PC and crew everytime but to also change the time frame (they do have 4000 years to work with after all and thats not counting the countless years prior to the original KOTOR that they could choose from). Both of these ideas (as I have said before) would give the developers a better chance to show off their given skills in story design and character deign rather than limiting them to someone elses characters and story.

"The only difference between genius and stupidity is genius has its limits!" - Albert Einstein.

"It's better to be thought a fool, than to open your mouth and remove all doubt!"

"When you have exhausted all other possibilities whatever remains, however improbable must be the truth." - Sherlock Holmes (a.k.a. Sir Arthur Conan Dole)

AscendedPaladin.png

Well here are the things I DO know.

1.) They can't use the exile. In doing so, they'd have to give him/her a name. They didn't do that in KOTOR2 like Revan in KOTOR1.

2.) Yes, beyond a shadow of a doubt, Obsidian left the story WAY open to keep us 'wanting more'. The sad thing is they made the story so open (unfinished :thumbsup: ) that any sane writer wouldn't touch that mess with a ten foot pole.

3.) Sooner or later they are going to have to tell us what is up with Revan. Thanks to the writing team for KOTOR2 they brought revan back in the mess. I was quite happy with Revan's story being closed within KOTOR1 (He saved the galaxy... or damned the Galaxy... either way, it was a good enough ending to put Revan's story to rest.

What should the writers have done?

Knights of the Old Republic is just that... the OLD republic. They SHOULD have made KOTOR2 either 100 years AFTER KOTOR1 or 100 years BEFORE KOTOR1. Not 5 or 6 years later.

Had they done this, they could have made a whole NEW story that could have been self contained.

So, in my opinion, should they make KOTOR3, they should definitely jump ahead a hundred years and give some small hints as to what happened after Traya and Malachor V. All new cast of characters, new story, and leave exile and Revan to the history books. It is the only way I can think of them closing the horribly planned story of KOTOR2 and still keep with the KOTOR universe.

I mean, SERIOUSLY! Who in their right mind will try and tie the stories of K1 and K2 in a 3rd installment? The ending of K2 screwed with the K1 ending and by not FINISHING the 2nd story they screwed the ENTIRE KOTOR saga thus far.

Where is Mira? Atton? HK-47? T3? Visas? Handmaiden? Hanhar? Mandalore? Bao-Dur?

That damn 'solo' mission to Malachor RUINED the KOTOR story. The players deserved to know what happened to their companions, am I wrong?

Not giving Exile a name has made it difficult to include him/her in the next installment (if there is one). Continuing Revan's story and doing it poorly has made it so that if they don't close the damn story (again) then there will be a lot of really pissed off KOTOR fans.

Imagine the Lord of the Rings movies if they decided not to release Return of the King. Now imagine that the movie was an original story (no J.R.R Tolkien books, pretend Peter Jackson made the story up). How many pissed off people do you think there'd be when Sam and Frodo are almost to Mordor, Smeagol has just made a plan to get the ring back, Saruman has been defeated, Merry and Pippin are with Treebeard etc etc and then they just leave the story open forever.

Here's another example. Imagine a very good movie like 'The Fifth Element' had a sequel made. In that sequel they open Leeloo and Korban's story up again and fail to give us closure at the end. That would ruin the original movie.

They HAVE to close Revan's story. Thanks to the writers of KOTOR2, we are left hanging on a re-opened story. Dangerous move if you want people to have good memories of the KOTOR universe.

I think you should have a new hero, who goes in search of Revan and Exile (read my kotor 3 story for more idea's like this :D)

Would be cool if he/she was a student at the new jedi order, lead by Atton, Mira and Brianna.

It would be cool if they overlapped kotor3 with kotor1 and 2, like the 1st level of kotor3 could be your a jedi trying to escape the Dantooine attack by malak, and you end up espacing on some ship unconcious, then you wake up during the times of kotor2.

And.. i dunno... maybe you could arrive on onderon just after the exile or sumthing, like following him.

would be cool to link up, see the events in a different perepective.

'I did it all for the wookies'

It would be cool if they overlapped kotor3 with kotor1 and 2, like the 1st level of kotor3 could be your a jedi trying to escape the Dantooine attack by malak, and you end up espacing on some ship unconcious, then you wake up during the times of kotor2.

5 Years is a long time to be unconcious... isn't it? :thumbsup:

AscendedPaladin.png

So, in my opinion, should they make KOTOR3, they should definitely jump ahead a hundred years and give some small hints as to what happened after Traya and Malachor V.  All new cast of characters, new story, and leave exile and Revan to the history books.  It is the only way I can think of them closing the horribly planned story of KOTOR2 and still keep with the KOTOR universe.

One of the best ideas I have heard to date on how to fix this problem.

AscendedPaladin.png

KOTOR3 should be the third and final part of a trilogy, especially considering that KOTOR2 seemed to be setting it up.

First Revan went missing, so the Exile went off to find out what happened to her, and what these "true Sith" are. Now three years later, nobody has heard from her either, and a reformed Jedi council is concerned.

Meet the PC. A former padawan who went into hiding and gave up all things Jedi at the time when bounty hunters were fetching high prices for bringing in Jedi. Leading a quiet life as a simple merchant or farmer (this doesn't matter, and would depend more on the starting planet), everything changes when she comes across a battered T3 (he and HK-47 should be in each part of the story, much like C-3P0 and R2-D2 have been in the films), leading into events that would bring her back into Jedihood and to the search for Revan and the Exile.

One of the things I like about this is that instead of eventually building a lightsaber, she can instead go on a quest for the one she discarded. Of course all the dialogue options for the sexes and alignments of the two missing Jedi/Sith would be in the game, but the faces can also be selected with the PC coming across a damaged datapad and needing to point out which pictures are whom.

The can be new planets, but some planets would need to be revisited in the search for clues. To keep it reasonably fresh, maybe have different areas of the planets be searched to find certain NPCs.

All this leads to the final planet or two where the PC finally finds Revan and the Exile who have been fighting the "real" Sith, but mostly just surviving during these years. Instead of there being a "Chosen One", the PC instead completes a trinity that finally turns the tides of this hidden war and this is your final party as you complete the game in a very grand way.

Not that I expect many people to agree with me on this. We all have what we like in a game and I know some suggestions I've read sound good and others I wouldn't care for.

Another thing I wouldn't expect people to agree on is that I'd like to see Mission Vao brought back as an NPC who knew Revan (there should be NPCs from both games brought back who knew the main characters

and as much as I like Canderous, by this point he should logically be too busy as Mandalore to be able to go along but he could point the PC in a couple of directions of people she could bring along

).

This would add replayability, because depending on whether Revan was LS or DS, Mission would have a different story. With the LS Revan, Mission would still be Mission but grown up and so more mature. The Mission we all know and some of us loved. With the DS Revan, Mission would be different. Darker. This is someone who was betrayed by someone she loved and trusted. Someone who forced her best friend to kill her, but that was Revan's mistake. Zaalbaar struck her down but wasn't behind it enough to make it a death blow, or even deliberately avoided killing her. Revan, after killing Big Z, was in too much of a hurry to get out of there and to the Star Forge to bother making sure Mission was actually dead.

Taking damage in the battle above, a Republic ship lands to make repairs and finds the unconscious Twi'lek, saving her from bleeding to death.

In the years that pass, Mission's rage continues to grow. She becomes a bounty hunter in the hope that she will one day find Revan again and exact her revenge. She sees her chance when this new Jedi/Sith comes along and needs her help as someone who knew Revan.

But that's just me. I know there are people who will hate this idea.

So, in my opinion, should they make KOTOR3, they should definitely jump ahead a hundred years and give some small hints as to what happened after Traya and Malachor V.  All new cast of characters, new story, and leave exile and Revan to the history books.  It is the only way I can think of them closing the horribly planned story of KOTOR2 and still keep with the KOTOR universe.

I have to disagree. Such an approach would irritate most fans of the game, as evidenced by the existence of threads such as these. Doing this would be avoiding the problem. Kotor2's story is not crappy; it has a darker, more gothic, post-apocaplyptic atmosphere that may not fit in with the Star Wars theme, but is nevertheless deeper than kotor1's.

There are several games out there which are more complex than a kotor3 that includes Revan and the Exile as major players. Its not treading on new ground; its a matter of how much time LA and kotor3's developer is willing to spend.

Disagree disagree disagree........

If you make K3 like that with no connection with it's predecessors then why even call it K3 when it's completly a new game, makes no sense....

2.) Yes, beyond a shadow of a doubt, Obsidian left the story WAY open to keep us 'wanting more'. The sad thing is they made the story so open (unfinished tongue.gif ) that any sane writer wouldn't touch that mess with a ten foot pole.

Sane meaning the ones who would rather ghost-write Luke Skywalker? Lots of those out there.

Jumping forward a hundred years is hollow and empty, and it's not what anyone can call satisfying. We need a proper ending to this trilogy, and I'm sure there are writers who aren't afraid--versus those who just want to make money from a 'formula'.

If you make K3 like that with no connection with it's predecessors then why even call it K3 when it's completly a new game, makes no sense....

I still think they should explain what happened to Revan and the Exile in a History format like Exar Kun and Naga Sadow etc. Make them into the new legend for the new generation.

I think everyone is missing the point though. Obsidian opened the 'Revan Story' up again. How would you feel if they decided not to make KOTOR3 or just left Revan completely out of the picture (History or otherwise).

As for the sane writers not touching a tie in with both KOTOR1 and KOTOR2 stories is because if you only go ahead another 5 years you have to tie a LOT of loose ends DIRECTLY just to make the story make any bit of sense. Not only that, but you have to deal with the many plot holes left behind from the rushed production of KOTOR2. (Screw you Lucas Arts)

If they go the way of jumping 100 years into the future they can base the story off of Revan and the Exile's journey but they can leave some dialog tid-bits every so often and then tie it all up rather easily at the end without making a direct Revan/Exile story.

Like I said. Re-opening Revan's story may have been a bad move for the possibility of KOTOR3.

Had they not focused on Revan so much in the 2nd KOTOR and just made KOTOR2 a stand-alone game and with a complete ending they would have had many different ways to approach KOTOR3. However, now that Revan's story is bust wide open again without any closure, they almost HAVE to tie Revan into the 3rd one and I have this feeling that there won't be enough time for any writer to successfully close a Trilogy under current game development time restrictions.

With Revan's story opened up again we have to wait a few years before we can see what happens. Instead of having that 'Oh cool, they mentioned Revan' feeling in KOTOR3 they are almost forced to make a story that revolves around him.

I do not envy any writer who takes on this task. I think KOTOR2 inadvertantly shot the KOTOR franchise in the foot since the fans (myself included) needs closure on Revan's story. I still think closing his story with Lore is probably the best idea. That would make KOTOR3 a little more flexible.

5 Years is a long time to be unconcious... isn't it? :rolleyes:

No. I wouldn't want to play a game of Rugby after waking up, but one of the main purposes proposed for stasis is long-haul space flights.

KOTOR3 should be the third and final part of a trilogy, especially considering that KOTOR2 seemed to be setting it up.

First Revan went missing, so the Exile went off to find out what happened to her, and what these "true Sith" are. Now three years later, nobody has heard from her either, and a reformed Jedi council is concerned.

Meet the PC. A former padawan who went into hiding and gave up all things Jedi at the time when bounty hunters were fetching high prices for bringing in Jedi. Leading a quiet life as a simple merchant or farmer (this doesn't matter, and would depend more on the starting planet), everything changes when she comes across a battered T3 (he and HK-47 should be in each part of the story, much like C-3P0 and R2-D2 have been in the films), leading into events that would bring her back into Jedihood and to the search for Revan and the Exile.

One of the things I like about this is that instead of eventually building a lightsaber, she can instead go on a quest for the one she discarded. Of course all the dialogue options for the sexes and alignments of the two missing Jedi/Sith would be in the game, but the faces can also be selected with the PC coming across a damaged datapad and needing to point out which pictures are whom.

The can be new planets, but some planets would need to be revisited in the search for clues. To keep it reasonably fresh, maybe have different areas of the planets be searched to find certain NPCs.

All this leads to the final planet or two where the PC finally finds Revan and the Exile who have been fighting the "real" Sith, but mostly just surviving during these years. Instead of there being a "Chosen One", the PC instead completes a trinity that finally turns the tides of this hidden war and this is your final party as you complete the game in a very grand way.

Not that I expect many people to agree with me on this.  ... Depending on whether Revan was LS or DS, Mission would have a different story. With the LS Revan, Mission would still be Mission but grown up and so more mature. The Mission we all know and some of us loved. With the DS Revan, Mission would be different. Darker. This is someone who was betrayed by someone she loved and trusted. ...

I think your ideas have merit and are eminently pragmatic.

The easiest (read: cheapest) plot for a third game will be to repeat the mechanics of the first two.

Now, this may or may not include a finale that has the avatars from the preceeding games, the references to which would be garnered through conversations. (I suspect -- please may I be wrong -- this will be in the "too hard" basket; either that or a generic character build for both Revan and Exile.)

OBSCVRVM PER OBSCVRIVS ET IGNOTVM PER IGNOTIVS

ingsoc.gif

OPVS ARTIFICEM PROBAT

I think your ideas have merit and are eminently pragmatic.

The easiest (read: cheapest) plot for a third game will be to repeat the mechanics of the first two.

Now, this may or may not include a finale that has the avatars from the preceeding games, the references to which would be garnered through conversations. (I suspect -- please may I be wrong -- this will be in the "too hard" basket; either that or a generic character build for both Revan and Exile.)

The great thing about the plot I've outlined is that instead of one conversation at the start as with Atton this could be spread out over the course of the game. The PC is searching for clues as to what happened to Revan and the Exile, so bits and pieces of information can be picked up over time. Male or female? That could be information you're piecing together in T3. LS or DS? That could come up when questioning NPCs who knew them. Same with consular, sentinal, or guardian. By the time you get the coordinates of the planet you need to go to to find them, it would be possible to have a fairly accurate match to the PCs you enjoyed most in the first two game. Heck, they could even have the same lightsabers. There will like be some changes in feats and force powers, but this would be years later and they've been spending their time embroiled in a fight for survival so that would make sense too.

I have to disagree. Such an approach would irritate most fans of the game, as evidenced by the existence of threads such as these. Doing this would be avoiding the problem. Kotor2's story is not crappy; it has a darker, more gothic, post-apocaplyptic atmosphere that may not fit in with the Star Wars theme, but is nevertheless deeper than kotor1's.

There are several games out there which are more complex than a kotor3 that includes Revan and the Exile as major players. Its not treading on new ground; its a matter of how much time LA and kotor3's developer is willing to spend.

But the thing is that if you were to look back over the entire thread you will notice that the topic of how this should be handeled is really just slpit down the middle. I never said it was a crappy story (infact I think in some ways it was a far better story to that of the original). But I do think that the way it was layed out sucked and that is not just LAs fault but also OEs. LA might have given OE an unrealistic time frame but it was OE who decided to cut so much story material and who ultimatly chose the order in which things played out.... not too mention the choice to revisit the story of revan again.

But they could mention the fates of both Revan and the Exile without having them in the game. Besides there are a few games out there that use new PCs rather than following one given set of PCs through the entire saga.

Jumping forward a hundred years is hollow and empty, and it's not what anyone can call satisfying.  We need a proper ending to this trilogy, and I'm sure there are writers who aren't afraid--versus those who just want to make money from a 'formula'.

Why are you refering to this as a triology? I mean it has never been said that they are only going to make three of the Kights games, for all we know they could make 10,000 KOTORs before they quit making money.

Another thing is that this series is called the KINGHTS of the old republic and not the knight of the old republic meaning there will be more than just one knight of the old republic featured in the saga. Or in other words the entire saga will not revolve around revan only no matter how much you seem to think you want it too.

Moving the setting 100 years wouldn't kill the saga as you seem to think it might, all it would do is pervent the writers from having to worry about finding a reasonable way to explain why both revan and the exile have lost their powers and why it is that the exile was able to find revan so quickly (come on someone else must have through that since revan told everyone to stay behind he would have made it nearly impossible for anyone to follow him should they try, he was a tactical master mind after all). I still say that they should just move the time frame ahead and that way they can wrap up the revan/exile story without the need to have either the exile or revan be seen or even involved. I don't know but I think that there will be too many problems to include revan or the exile in K3, I would think they most we can expect from the next developer is for them to be mentioned just like revan was in K2.

AscendedPaladin.png