2nd edition elves

dargeth26

whats your opinion on 2nd edition elves. do u think tehyre overpowered? i think the bonus to use long swords/short swords/longbows and the dex bonus are a bit too powerful to make up for the constitution penalty. i mean the con penalty is a big disadvantage, but not that big. if i take away their weapon thaco bonus, they might be underpowered! does anyone have any house rules or ideas to modify elves.

• 4 weeks later...

Not sure, I only played one Elf in 2nd edition. The thing I miss most from 2nd edition is the proficiency system.

The area between the balls and the butt is a hotbed of terrorist activity.

Devastatorsig.jpg

Elves should be able to kick ass. Overpowered? Not at all. They're only overpowered if you think they're too powerful. Since they deserve every bit of power they have, then it's not a big deal.

Oh, play 3.5 anyhow.

Fionavar's Holliday Wishes to all members of our online community:  Happy Holidays

Join the revelry at the Obsidian Plays channel:
Obsidian Plays

Remembering tarna, Phosphor, Metadigital, and Visceris.  Drink mead heartily in the halls of Valhalla, my friends!

• 2 weeks later...

Why can't Elves and Humans live in peace? Oh, that's right... We need to rule everything OUR way... >_<

I like Elves, and I do believe that they may be a bit over powered. I have no clue how to fix it, though... Perhaps you could explain it away with having your character being an Elven Prince (since in most D&D games, Elves desend from their gods directly, this would make them uber powerful).

That was a waste of a post, no? :ph34r:

Geekified Star Wars Geek

Heart of the Force, Arm of the Force

"Only a Sith deals in absolutes!"

-Obi-wan to Anakin (NOT advocating Grey-Jedidom)

"The Force doesn't control people, Kreia controls people."

I'm just happy to find someone else who enjoys 2nd Edition the most.. :thumbsup:

(From playing all those Gold box games in my youth)

Swedes, go to: Spel2, for the latest game reviews in swedish!

I have no 'favorite' Edition. I just play whatever everybody else is... :) (I'm sorta new to actual P&P D&D, so I haven't exactly explored all of the Editions, but I've played around with 3.5 and 2. My friends like 2 the most, though)... :ph34r:

Geekified Star Wars Geek

Heart of the Force, Arm of the Force

"Only a Sith deals in absolutes!"

-Obi-wan to Anakin (NOT advocating Grey-Jedidom)

"The Force doesn't control people, Kreia controls people."

whats your opinion on 2nd edition elves?

...same as every other edition of dirt-eatin', tree-huggin' puswas...they need to die...long an' excrutiatingly painful deaths... :thumbsup:

...WHO LUVS YA, BABY!!...

A long, long time ago, but I can still remember,
How the Trolling used to make me smile.
And I knew if I had my chance, I could egg on a few Trolls to "dance",
And maybe we'd be happy for a while.
But then Krackhead left and so did Klown;
Volo and Turnip were banned, Mystake got run out o' town.
Bad news on the Front Page,
BIOweenia said goodbye in a heated rage.
I can't remember if I cried
When I heard that TORN was recently fried,
But sadness touched me deep inside,
The day...Black Isle died.

For tarna, Visc, an' the rest o' the ol' Islanders that fell along the way

whats your opinion on 2nd edition elves?

...same as every other edition of dirt-eatin', tree-huggin' puswas...they need to die...long an' excrutiatingly painful deaths... :blink:

...WHO LUVS YA, BABY!!...

Who will that happen? You should not urge others to do something far beyond your power, you pathetic, shag-haired miscreant.

Fionavar's Holliday Wishes to all members of our online community:  Happy Holidays

Join the revelry at the Obsidian Plays channel:
Obsidian Plays

Remembering tarna, Phosphor, Metadigital, and Visceris.  Drink mead heartily in the halls of Valhalla, my friends!

1. You could use the elvish rules from 3.5 in your 2-based game.

2. You could do what our DM did, which is enforce all the inhibitions of the elvish class to make the PC unpalatable, e.g. slow level progress (especially for multiclasses).

They're meant to be powerful, but rare.

OBSCVRVM PER OBSCVRIVS ET IGNOTVM PER IGNOTIVS

ingsoc.gif

OPVS ARTIFICEM PROBAT

• 2 weeks later...

If I recall, 2nd edition also imposed level caps on races. So an Elf could live to be 200, but could never progress past 7th level as a Fighter. Are Elves balanced with a cap?

Perhaps. But most people drop the cap, along with racial prejudices, etc. When you remove the drawbacks, then yes Elves are clearly imbalanced.

But D&D has never, ever been about balance.

You can fire a FIREBALL, though.

(I felt like my magic-user alter ego had Tourette's Syndrome for a long while "Fireball!"; "FIREBALL!"; "FIREBALL!".)

:D

ingsoc.gif

OPVS ARTIFICEM PROBAT

You can fire a FIREBALL, though.

(I felt like my magic-user alter ego had Tourette's Syndrome for a long while "Fireball!"; "FIREBALL!"; "FIREBALL!".)

:D

Reminds me of a pnp character of mine. She was quite insane and decided one time when the group was bunched up fighting a bunch of kobolds to cast fireball at teh whole group. Killed the kobolds and some of the party members. :p

She had a thing for fire.

Reminds me of a pnp character of mine. She was quite insane and decided one time when the group was bunched up fighting a bunch of kobolds to cast fireball at teh whole group. Killed the kobolds and some of the party members.  :lol:

She had a thing for fire.

Yes,that is one element of my psychological make-up that wsa inherited by that particular character ... pyromania ... I love buring things ... burnt my little shed down when I was smaller ... stupid candles in the stupid plastic holders ... :lol:

ingsoc.gif

OPVS ARTIFICEM PROBAT

My last 2nd edition character lasted one session before the DM threw his hands up in the air. He said we could start with 5 levels to distribute between whatever classes we desired.

I choose a Drow Bard/Psionicist. We could also start with one minor magic item. I took a ring of Fire Control. The Wizard in the group made a Fireball scroll. I read it, and it cast as I was 5th level, doing 5d6 of Fire Damage.

But the Ring of Fire Control doubled that.

The Psionic Power of Control Flame doubled that.

The Psionic Power of Control Damage doubled damage.

I had to take the time to activate those two Psionic Powers, and spend points to maintain them, so I could maybe do this twice a day. But a 5th level character waits for the big bad buy, and doles out 40d6 of damage.

At the same time, as a Bard with a high dex, I was decent with a sword, and had thieving skills to boot. I wasn't completely a one-trick pony.

I'm not allowed to play D&D as a player, because it's far too easy to find ways to break the system.

In 2nd Edition, so long as you have the time, Wizards can make scrolls all day long. There was a failure percentage in creating the scroll, but 90% of the time he could make one. On an off day, he might make 8 scrolls or however it worked out.

We only played one session before the DM gave up if I recall. I hardly get to play as a player. I'm always running games for people.

I merely twinked to point out my objections to the cumbersome and broken system. I have nothing against high fantasy. Earthdawn does it better, Gurps does it fairly well, and I think Exalted does it quite well. I just don't really care for D&D rules.