No skill bonus from Kreia...

Well, as most here would know, at some point Kreia gets an option to teach you a bit about skills - the greatest and the weakest - telling you to raise that weakest skill and come back to her.

And so I did... I chose Repair as my greatest skill and Security as the weakest (playing LS Consular/JM). Then gained a level, raising both those skills. Came back to Kreia for a blessing. I get a screen telling me that I received a bonus to those skills and maximum Force points... But when I look up those skills, - they haven't bloody changed!

So, umm, is that a glitch (done this several times, but got the same results) or... did someone change the meaning of the words 'gained a bonus' recently?...

[sorry if it's been asked already, - haven't been here in quite a long while. Haven't found anything concearning this on the first 7 pages, though...]

Also, it should be noted that you don't actually have to raise either skill. I talked to Kreia, she gave me the test, then I immediately talked to her again and said I did it, and completed it. (though, since it's bugged, no actual bonus points were gained).

I guess she's teaching you how to lie too...

The way it's always worked for me is....it raises by 1 point. And it does raise for me, but many report it doesn't for them.

And I always have to raise the skill to get the bonus - however, all I have to do is equip an item that increases the skill - not put any 'hard points' into it.

“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

It's been a while since my first playthrough (and I decided to wait for the patch for the second one... and then it came and did not fix any of the things I had any problems with...), so I don't remember the exact numbers.

However, I know I told Kreia my weakest skill was Computer Use. I then put a point into that at next level-up and went back to talk to her. I got a message saying I'd gotten a bonus to weakest and strongest skills, but there was no bonus to Computer Use. Instead I'd gotten a bonus to Awareness, which I had a small amount of (more than Comp though).

My strongest skill got the bonus alright (might've been Persuade).

And yeah, long time lurker, first time poster...

I believe it is a simple oversight on the developer's part. There are no scripts attached to that dialog that grants any skill point bonuses. You can either fix this with a 3rd party mod to the game (it's not very hard to fix yourself if you know how to edit the game data), or hope they'll change this in an upcoming patch.

Ahem. I never said I got a bonus to Awareness. It was for the healing one...whatever that's called. That's always my low or almost non-existant skill. I specifically checked and it went up by one. However, that was with my item still on - ie w/the item my skill was a certain number, I did the quest, that number went up by 1.

But I never did check it by taking the item off to see if that point would remain, and I did read someone say once that it looked like it registered but it really didn't if you removed the item...so maybe that would have been true in my case.

“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

Ok, it appears Battlewookiee may be right about the Awareness bonus. I rummaged through my savegames and discovered I get no bonus from the skill lesson at all. I did have a bonus to Awareness already, and I guess I mistakenly attributed that to the skill lesson at the time, seeing as I very rarely visited the Abilities screen.

There's still the bonus to Persuade though. I have no idea where that comes from. It's one point higher than my Charisma modifier.

Ok, it appears Battlewookiee may be right about the Awareness bonus. I rummaged through my savegames and discovered I get no bonus from the skill lesson at all. I did have a bonus to Awareness already, and I guess I mistakenly attributed that to the skill lesson at the time, seeing as I very rarely visited the Abilities screen.

There's still the bonus to Persuade though. I have no idea where that comes from. It's one point higher than my Charisma modifier.

Got one of these Persuade upgrading Feats?

D'oh! That would be it, wouldn't it... I don't usually pick Empathy (that's the one, right?), and absent-minded as I am, I completely forgot about it.

Thanks for setting me straight.

Now if only someone could remind the even more absent-minded Kreia to hand over the skill boni, everything would be in order.

The icons are annoyingly similar, for the first tier anyway.

Another thing is, at some time during that game, Conditioning vanished from the Feats screen during level-up, so I could no longer choose it. As I usually prefer it to, say, Toughness, I was a bit miffed. Inspecting an old savegame now, I see the same was the case for Empathy, at least later in the game - missing as well. The tiers I had already chosen earlier are still there on the Abilities screen though, I just can't build further on those feats.

Did I miss something? Are those feats not available to certain prestige classes or is it another bug?