Question about cut content

I was just wondering. I understand that, in the originally envisioned ending, you could wind up facing Kreia or Atris at Malachor V, depending on what choices you made during the game. So my question is: what would Kreia's role in the end-game be? Would she not be Sith? Would she have been killed? She wanders off?

I was wondering if anyone knew the answer to thiis.

...and you are sure you are not mixing up Atris with Kreia?

Nah, I recall from the cut dialogue thread that cut Malachor V dialogue had Atris confronting you at the end in place of Kreia. Plus if you edit the game factor that changes the "Sith Lord" that you see at the title screen (usually Sion-Nihilus-Kreia), you can see Atris standing there, except in black robes.

It's among the mish-mash that Obsidian left in from its originally planned ending.

Yup...I don't think anyone really knows if Atris would have been the 'last boss', but there was this unused dialogue where all the NPC's 'confront' and attack Kreia (to rescue Exile or because they think Exile is dead?), and there's a dialogue alternate for it to be Atris they confront instead of Kreia.

“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

Atris would duel with Nihilus... says the box art. :-

Kidding aside, wasn't it that she wanted the 'Force' to "die"? As from her perspective, Force users are granted an illusion of being able to manipulate events but looking at the whole picture, everything proceeds according to the "will of the Force". Making Force-users, slaves of the Force.

So either killing herself and/or the Exile (because of his innate ability of absorbing Force powers(?)) would be the resolution she is maneouvering to achieve?

Either way, Atris is still a B1TCH! Be she Sith or Jedi!

Atris would duel with Nihilus... says the box art. tongue.gif

Yeah, throughout the whole game I was wondering when I would either see that, or hear a story about that occurance. But alas, yet another thing wiped from the game...I guess.

PS: Has anyone found any cut dialogue from Darth Nihilus. When he spoke there were no captions. But from what I understand about RPGs, even if it is an inaudible language(like droids' beeps and boops) there are usually captions. Yet he had none. Anyone get where I'm going with this? :-

"Learn to harness your anger and control your fear. Dominate your emotions! But do not let them overcome you; for they can surely cause you to fall to the dark side.

If you expect to win against a Sith then you need to fight like a Sith! If you do not, you will always be met with defeat."

-- Jedi Master Seraphis Dakari

Nope. Nothing I've seen yet in either speech or the text file (although granted, the text file is hard to read/find stuf)...there's some unused Sion bits where he's apaprently talking to Nihil and telling him he (Sion) doesn't need him anymore and that Traya still lives blah blah but Nihil never says a word.

“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

I thought this was weird too... every alien in the game has captions. Then again, if he's "just a man", what language was he speaking? Visas could understand him because he was her master, so I didn't question it. But when everyone else could, I thought it was odd. It was especially weird they didn't caption him since your character could obviously understand him. Choosing dialogue options in response to his "gargle" was unintentionally funny.

I think the lack of captions was to add to the mystery of the character. I thought it was a good idea and worked quite well. However, I have to agree that it was a bit weird that there were no captions even though the exile clearly understands what he is saying.

I was just wondering.  I understand that, in the originally envisioned ending, you could wind up facing Kreia or Atris at Malachor V, depending on what choices you made during the game.  So my question is: what would Kreia's role in the end-game be?  Would she not be Sith?  Would she have been killed?  She wanders off?

I was wondering if anyone knew the answer to thiis.

If that's what was planned at some point then I'm happy they changed it. Atris and Kreia fit in their current roles perfectly, and it would make no sense for Atris to be the End Boss, just as it makes no sense having her fight Nihilus (Nihilus wouldn't fight her, he would drain her to death on sight and that would be the end of it).

I think Kreia is perfect as the end boss since she's not the typical antagonist, and she fights you because she wants you to defeat her, not because you have chased down the Big Bad Evil to end their terror, as most games tend to have you do.

And I think Atris is perfect in her role, showing the human aspect of the Jedi. Someone who has suffered loss, feels betrayed and has started to doubt the teachings she has been fed since she was a small child. Still, they are all she knows, so she klings to the illusion of being a Jedi even as she is dragged down the dark path by her own emotions as much as by the influence of the Sith Holocrons she has gathered.

----

That said, a game and its story can change a lot during development, as development tends to be an iterative rather than a linear process. The existance of scraps from a previous iteration of the game does not mean that it would fit in with the current state of the game and story, and thus it's very hard to look at such scraps and for certain say that "this is what they had envisioned all along!".

It's a bit like having a jigsaw puzzle where a third of the pieces are missing and the remaining pieces can be configured in a multitude of ways and still produce a picture, though a different one for each way, if you use your imagination to fill in the blanks and manufacture the missing pieces... to use a poor metaphor. :-

What I mean to say is: Atris may well have been the end boss at some point, though I seriously doubt she was anything like the Atris we meet (and ultimately confront) in the final game. Characters, their personality, names, role and place in the story can get changed around a lot during development.