So when's the next patch due?

I think that you guys are being a bit harsh.  Have any of you ever tried to make a patch for a game?  Its not as easy as it sounds.

True, but if a dev stated that the patch will available in "A DAY OR TWO" people expect to get it in A DAY OR TWO...

A dev post will be nice to clarify this situation.

I'm really not seeing how replacing single files like 'video' and 'audio' would be sooooo hard. yes programming is difficult, patching is even harder.... but separate files that are just getting replaced? come on I could do it, if I had the correct files.

goood greeefus

I think that you guys are being a bit harsh.  Have any of you ever tried to make a patch for a game?  Its not as easy as it sounds.

We aren't talking about is making a patch difficult. They stated the patch (movies and music) IS done and the only thing they have to do is to build it, which I believe means "compress, make an installer".

I also think they won't give the patch to LucasArts (as I said before), 'cause I believe it was tested with the 1.0b patch (in the patch readme, from 29 MARCH they wrie "high quality music, high quality movies, it's before they gave the patch to LA. LA tested the whole patch and then one of the sides decided to release two patches: 1.0b and music'n'movies patch). But still... I have a bad feeling about this, over a week of waiting means to OE "a day or two". :devil:

Soon = About 2 months I think....... how long did it take exactly?

A day or two = At least a week

I understand that about the whole 'soon' thing, it was LA who for some reason blocked the release of the first patch, but now this?! Obsidian said it was finished and the only thing left is to make it so we can download it.... at least that's what I've understood about it. Why do they continue to announce when they think it will be out, when in fact they don't really have a clue about when it's done?! I mean, do they think that it's better to announce a patch and have it take a long time to release it.... and on top of that, not tell us WHY it has taking so long! My view on this is that they shouldn't give an ETA, cause they can't stick to it! Just say 'A patch is on its way' or something like that, just don't mention an ETA!

Didnt the alread release the patch for the audio probles (Being patch number 2)? There web page says " April 19th patch 1.0b now realsed" or something like that...

So is there a 3rd patch they announced or something?

Edit: FYI, I dont have the game for PC so Im not exactly sure what the deal is with the patch... Havent really been keeping up with it

NEXT PATCH

Sorry guys there will not be another patch with more fixes after 1.0b

Their latest patsh will be for high quality videos and high quality movie

and if a new patch with fixes will exist it will be at the year 2007

So go the Restoration project site to download mod fixes if you have a problem

because Obsidian is sleeping with their pants on

I hear that they are also in the creation of Neverwinter nights 2

NOOOOO they will destroy that game too :(

Thankyou for that useless piece of guesswork, I'm sure your sources are totally reliable <_< I'll simply wait and see

NEXT PATCH

The "High Quality movies" are too big for this patch and are going to be put into their own patch which should be up in just a day or two (everything's done, just need to build them).

http://forums.obsidianent.com/index.php?sh...ic=33276&st=105

and later they said.

Actually as previously stated, the music and movies were too big to include in this patch and will be released in a second patch in A FEW DAYS.

http://forums.obsidianent.com/index.php?showtopic=33288

If they change their ETA's every day they better never give a ETA... If they post "in a few days later", but keep "in a day or 2 up"(can be edited) it stays "in a day of 2" to me...

Like said before, patch will be difficult, yes, but replace movies and sound with other? Don't even need QA testing, as there can be no problems at all!

True, but if a dev stated that the patch will available in "A DAY OR TWO" people expect to get it in A DAY OR TWO...

A dev post will be nice to clarify this situation.

Yep, I think the time ANYBODY believes ANYTHING a OE employee says is never coming... If they say in 2 days, and it is in 2 days they could win our trust again, but now there credability is heavily severed...

A dev post will be nice to clarify this situation

I'm really not seeing how replacing single files like 'video' and 'audio' would be sooooo hard. yes programming is difficult, patching is even harder.... but separate files that are just getting replaced? come on I could do it, if I had the correct files.

goood greeefus

Replacing can't even cause bugs, and there should be none to 1 hour testing needed... (1 hour more than 1.0B testing though yet). Just tell me HOW replacing a music file can cause cheatnodes to popup instead of convo's or how replacing movies can cause quest to get bugged? There is no way they can cause bugs...

A dev post will be nice to clarify this situation

I'm really not seeing how replacing single files like 'video' and 'audio' would be so :( oooo hard. yes programming is difficult, patching is even harder.... but separate files that are just getting replaced? come on I could do it, if I had the correct files.

goood greeefus

Replacing can't even cause bugs, and there should be none to 1 hour testing needed... (1 hour more than 1.0B testing though yet). Just tell me HOW replacing a music file can cause cheatnodes to popup instead of convo's or how replacing movies can cause quest to get bugged? There is no way they can cause bugs...

yeah I'm pretty sure that's what I meant, or what I was trying to say. :blink:

Some Clearification Please!  :thumbsup:

Okay, Obsidian's says, "A Day or Two" or "Soon", but nothing happens in those time periods. What is actually going on? I am confussed about this!?

Before we run into a rage again, I though I would get the facts first!

---On Another Note---

On the main page of ObsidianEnt.com it says we are looking for empolyees. Now, why would anyone want to work for a company who makes games that are not fully functional? As a professional designer, I would try to avoid companies that have a bad reputation.

Why would anyone want to work for a company who does bad buisness? Or, am I just rambling!?

1. TSL's cut content and some bugs were LucasArts fault: they gave OE only a year to make a really good RPG. I think that OE did everything they could within a year and the game is great, even with those bugs. I said it elsewhere but I have to say it once again: who would make such a good game in one year?

2. Obisidan doesn't have a bad reputation. There are programists that made games like Fallouts and Planescape: Torment. They also released only one game as Obsidian Entertainment. They will also release Neverwinter Nights 2, which could be very, very good. You guyz don't have idea about the working on NWN 2, why do most of you say it will be a crap? I'm pretty much sure that also much people will say that NWN 2 is a crap after the premiere of the game, even if it will be great. Why? Just to kick OE.

3. You said "why would anyone want to work for a company who makes games that are not fully functional?". Not GAMES, but GAME if you really think that about KotOR II. And why would anyone want to work for that firm? Uhm... don't you think that just to CHANGE the fact that people say such things about OE? Or to get some experience...

Some Clearification Please!  :)

Okay, Obsidian's says, "A Day or Two" or "Soon", but nothing happens in those time periods. What is actually going on? I am confussed about this!?

Before we run into a rage again, I though I would get the facts first!

---On Another Note---

On the main page of ObsidianEnt.com it says we are looking for empolyees. Now, why would anyone want to work for a company who makes games that are not fully functional? As a professional designer, I would try to avoid companies that have a bad reputation.

Why would anyone want to work for a company who does bad buisness? Or, am I just rambling!?

Someone just trying to get there foot in the door would join the company... :thumbsup:"

And a professional designer might want to come in so they could be known as the designer that turned Obsidian in the right direction (Although I think they are going in the right direction). Its not that hard to see why some one would, cause you know how humans are, always trying to be come bigger, more famous, and richer...

But I honestly dont see how they did that horibly bad when they are being kept under a short leash from another company. Sure Obsidian messed up, but not without some strong help from there publisher, LA, who told them what they could do, how there going to do it, and when... not that Obsidian would ever admit it because LA is there publisher

We aren't talking about is making a patch difficult. They stated the patch (movies and music) IS done and the only thing they have to do is to build it, which I believe means "compress, make an installer".

Just to play devil's advocate...

Also, let's not forget that, depending on the arrangements with the publisher, after the 1-2 business days spent gathering, recompressing, and packaging all those files (not an insignificant number of files!) it make take several days to get release approval from LA or whomever is going to distribute the patch, and then propagate it to all the servers (just as an example of how long it might take for a file distribution site like File Planet... for certain types of submissions, it takes 1-3 days to get approval, then up to another 1-2 days to propagate to multiple servers).

And, note that patch v1.0b had a few additional alterations/fixes not mentioned in their readme. I say, don't look a gift horse in the mouth if they decided to sneak in a few minor fixes for problems under the hood without making a big deal out of it too...

Knights of the Old Republic II: The Sith Lords Restoration Project

http://www.team-gizka.org

And, note that patch v1.0b had a few additional alterations/fixes not mentioned in their readme.

Additional fixes? Never heard that. So what were these fixes/alterations?

War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. The decayed and degraded state of moral and patriotic feeling which thinks that nothing is worth war is much worse. The person who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing which is more important than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature and has no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself.

--John Stewart Mill--

"Victory was for those willing to fight and die. Intellectuals could theorize until they sucked their thumbs right off their hands, but in the real world, power still flowed from the barrel of a gun.....you could send in your bleeding-heart do-gooders, you could hold hands and pray and sing hootenanny songs and invoke the great gods CNN and BBC, but the only way to finally open the roads to the big-eyed babies was to show up with more guns."

--Black Hawk Down--

MySpace: http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm?fusea...iendid=44500195

1. TSL's cut content and some bugs were LucasArts fault: they gave OE only a year to make a really good RPG. I think that OE did everything they could within a year and the game is great, even with those bugs. I said it elsewhere but I have to say it once again: who would make such a good game in one year?

The Troika defense ...

Obsidian did this game, perhpas they were pushed by their publisher to make certain decisions but ultimate they were done by then.

2. Obisidan doesn't have a bad reputation. There are programists that made games like Fallouts and Planescape: Torment. They also released only one game as Obsidian Entertainment. They will also release Neverwinter Nights 2, which could be very, very good. You guyz don't have idea about the working on NWN 2, why do most of you say it will be a crap? I'm pretty much sure that also much people will say that NWN 2 is a crap after the premiere of the game, even if it will be great. Why? Just to kick OE.

Let me see ... Black Isle logo up there?

No.

Obsidian did not had a reputation, it have one now and its not a good one.

Perhaps NwN2 chances their reputation but right now they are a company unable to even provide a patch in good time to fix even half the issues people reported it.

Dont bother to invoke The Troika Defense in relation to the patch.

3. You said "why would anyone want to work for a company who makes games that are not fully functional?". Not GAMES, but GAME if you really think that about KotOR II. And why would anyone want to work for that firm? Uhm... don't you think that just to CHANGE the fact that people say such things about OE? Or to get some experience...

Or they are unemployed ... game developers do shift by staff quite fast, some people already quited Obsidian.

drakron.png

And, note that patch v1.0b had a few additional alterations/fixes not mentioned in their readme.

Additional fixes? Never heard that. So what were these fixes/alterations?

For example, I noticed that some force-speed-related computation with attacks was restored, and people have been saying that the desynch'ed HK-50 conversation on the Polar Plateau was fixed. Nothing much, but might be more. :shrug:

Knights of the Old Republic II: The Sith Lords Restoration Project

http://www.team-gizka.org

One game does not make a reputation.  3 games make a reputation.

Oh, but I disagree with that assessment.

One games makes a repution, 3 games only proof if the reputation was justly deserved.

Nevertheless, this whole KotOR 2 thingie is becoming a disaster of epic proportions for Obsidian. <_<

http://forums.obsidianent.com/index.php?showtopic=33590

They say it to be at LA's office,

Since these monkeys probably don't recognize the fact that this thing can't cause bugs (and if it could they wouldn't find or fix them anyway (see Telos Academy/1.0B))

they stall it

And a bit more

And yet more

(Untested I might add. "What? you need to work for you're money??? We LA employees too? No way!"

Untill soon

Thankyou for that useless piece of guesswork, I'm sure your sources are totally reliable  <_<  I'll simply wait and see

NEXT PATCH

Saying 2007 it was mostly a general statement

What i meant is that it will surely take a lot of time (if a 1.0C patch will exist)

Ok you can wait but just think that the 1.0b it was already late and created new problems

Obsidian has screwed it up

For fixing the 1.0b bugs there is already the Kotor restoration project that you can download modpatches\fixes and you do not have to wait if Obsidian will ever release a 1.0C patch

NEXT TIME i pray to god that KOTOR 3 will be made from BIOWARE themselves and not from some bunch of rookies like Obsidian