Cant install, loads of problems...

Ok, I got the game tiday andf installed it. I whas extremly slow, took 2-3 min for the question "do you wanna place a shortcutt on your desktop" to appear. When I trie to start the game it just sais that the game whas not correctly installed, and I should reinstall it. Argh, now I

well it must be something wrong with or draining your system resources. have you turned off anny background tasks.firewalls etc (scanned for virus or malware and spyware)? that or your CD drive might be busted

the [insert random .cab file here failed!] Is pretty common on both KOTOR games just need too clean the disc and give it a few goes :-

I have turned off my Firewall and scanned and removed every file Ad Aware could find. Still when I insert the Cd nothing happens.

Blackeye

1* have you manualy upg. your Ad-Aware too version 1.30-1.31 a flaw prevented the autoupg. :geek: and then patched it with auto. 2* have you tried a few stronger tools like 'Spybot Search and destroy' or 'Microsoft Antispyware beta 1' "free'n not perfect i know" 3* if there were several files especially trojans u might need too disable system restore then clean em up :>_< google it :) sorry i can't be of more help. but you do get power too your drive soo it's gotta be something else :ph34r: i get similar problems if i try my DVD drive but thaz dif!? if you got another drive you can try out set it too defaul or rename it in your Kotor2.ini :luck:

• 3 weeks later...

i am having trouble too with installation of the orginal star wars knights of the old republic my download gets to 24% and then stops and a error pops up

this is what it saying and i am still on the first disk when this error occurs

component: Cabs US

file group: SWCABS US

file: D:\Data2.cab

error: Data error (cyclic redundancy check).

what do i do ? :thumbsup:

cyclic redundancy check

It looks like your cd is damaged...seems like you should try to replace it from the shop where you bought it...

I have had this happen to me numerous times, it only seems to happen on games protected by securom. How damaged the disc is doesnt seem to affect it.

My halo disc for example is protected by securom, is in flawless condition but for some reason 50% of the time the install fails with a cyclic redundancy check. And (I believe) KOTOR2 is also a securom game.

• 1 month later...

okay i created an account just to rpely... cos i thought it would be nicwe

heres a link that will answer all your questions

to a forum

ill copy paste anywya in case it closes by the time u click it.

"I see it's quite common to get this type of error either due to a faulty CD or a scratched one. There is one last thing you can do before you buy a new CD and that's this... Ohh read the quotes first.

Quote:

What does 'cyclic redundancy check error' mean?

There are plenty of technical resources on the Web that discuss cyclic redundancy checks (CRCs). Most times you won't need to worry about this technobabble. That is, until one it day it suddenly appears and you think - what the hell does that mean? In simple terms, a CRC is bit of mathematics used to ensure that your data is OK when being transfered. It's a checking procedure that quickly identifies when data has been damaged. If you get this message, it means that the file being read by your PC or software is corrupted. However, it does not mean all the data is lost forever. When data is transfered, it is usually in small blocks and each block is given a CRC value. If something goes wrong with the data between the time it leaves the source and arrives at its destination, the CRC sent at the source will no longer match the one that is calculated when the data arrives - this is when the cyclic redundancy check error will appear.

The most common times you will see the cyclic redundancy check error message is when trying to read data from a damaged CD or DVD. Just before it appears, your CD/DVD drive will probably grind and whirl away - your PC may also become a little slugglish.

Quote:

CDCheck is utility for prevention, detection and recovery of damaged files with emphasis on error detection. It offers readability verification, creation and checking of MD5, CRC-32, SHA... hashes (in file formats SFV, MD5 and CRC), extremly efficient file compare (faster than in most other programs) and recovery. CDCheck can be used on all files visible by the operating system. This means all files that you can see in Windows Explorer (CDs, DVDs, disk drives, floppy disks, ZIP drives, USB keys...). Apart from this it also works with audio CDs and provides information about inserted CD/DVD (manufacturer, media type...).

Go to ww/w.elpros.si/CDCheck & download CDCheck 3.1.1.0 (final).

Open up CDCheck, expand the contents of your CD drive on the left and click

which ever file is causing you the problem. The file that I got install errors with was Data2.cab, so what you need to do is, click file x & press Recover and dump your selected file to your C: drive or where ever you choose. While CDCheck is work you might want go do something else because it can take a little while recovering your damaged file(s) from your CD depending on size.

Once CDCheck is done, you will get a message saying for example, "there were 25 damaged files", don't worry about that, click done or OK (this didn't hurt my game play or installation). Next, copy all files from your CD ROM apart from the orginal damaged file & place everything else in the same place as file x. At this point you can either "backup" your game files on a CD-r or use a virtual CD.

What you should get now is a working version of a broke game. I hope this works for you as it did me, good luck!.