Tales of the Jedi

What do you think of Tales of the Jedi comics?  

42 members have voted

1. 1. What do you think of Tales of the Jedi comics?

• Loved them
    • Better than the movies!
    • Not as good as the movies
    • Pile of manure
    • Never read them
    • If George Lucas doesn't make movies based on them I'll cry!
    • I have no idea what that is..........

I like them. But the general quality of these books are quite bad.

...well, mostly bad.

"Things are funny...are comedic, because they mix the real with the absurd." - Buzz Aldrin.

"P-O-T-A-T-O-E" - Dan Quayle

I don't know about Redemption as I haven't read it yet, but pretty much all aspects of the comic series are flawed.

Villian: Predictable; Exar Kun, jedi, led to be a dark lord of the sith, challenges and kills master, loses in the end.

Hero: Perfect; Nomi Sunrider, Jedi warrior with no flaws, etc.

Plot: Horrible; Exar plans to dominate the galaxy using Sith magic. In short no plot at all.

And have a series of small skirmishes that's labeled as "war".

In short, they suck.

I don't know about Redemption as I haven't read it yet, but pretty much all aspects of the comic series are flawed.

Villian: Predictable; Exar Kun, jedi, led to be a dark lord of the sith, challenges and kills master, loses in the end.

Plot: Horrible; Exar plans to dominate the galaxy using Sith magic. In short no plot at all.

In short, they suck.

Yep. One of the big points of Redemption is that it doesn't try to be an epic story. It's just about a man. No villains, no wars, no heroes.

Good stuff. :)

- When he is best, he is a little worse than a man, and when he is worst, he is little better than a beast.

Most outlandish collection of stories ever produced, and this is in context with the Star Wars universe.

The Star Wars universe would have been so much better off if we didn't have to deal with this series and its setting the bar so ridiculously high in terms of showing off stupid force abilities and whatnot.

"Console exclusive is such a harsh word." - Darque

"Console exclusive is two words Darque." - Nartwak (in response to Darque's observation)

"I like them. But the general quality of these books are quite bad.

...well, mostly bad."

"Suckage, except for Redemption. That one's actually pretty good."

Redemption was titled Redemption for a reason.

"Things are funny...are comedic, because they mix the real with the absurd." - Buzz Aldrin.

"P-O-T-A-T-O-E" - Dan Quayle

I definetly enjoyed them. I like the true ancient aspect and feel they have to them, perfect for something set 4000 years before the movies, instead of looking like they could be two decades before the movies like the KOTOR games are.

Sure, they weren't always so detailed and thing seem a little rushed, but come on, what do you expect? Comics are very thin little things to cram alot of stuff into.

They would have been much better as novels, but for the medium, they were rather fun I thought.

I never actually read Redemption though. The whole thing about Ulic Qel Droma being stripped of the Force never sat well with me. I hated that they gave the Jedi that power.

In short, they suck.

Star Wars Saga

Villain: Palpatine, most vile character ever, so powerful that he blinded all jedi with

dark side cloud, Anakin: powerful but brash jedi who desires power

Hero: Perfect; Obi-Wan, Jedi Warrior with no flaws, etc

the same Luke, Yoda and Mace no flaws at all.

Plot: horrible! Palpatine is using deception to dominate the galaxy. In short no plot at all... :(

Verdict: Lucas movies are trash

All heroic stories all about the same and use same stereotypes Radnor. You are unable to prove that TOTJ is worse than prequels or batman or lord of the rings. Surely you are intelligent enough to notice that. TOTJ are decent stories from the mid 1990s - surely better than spiderman babble, and you seem to forget that this "trash" opened completely new era in SW and added really epic info like Great Hyperspace War, Jedi Holocaust, explanation about ANH Yavin temples (masassi were barely mentioned in ANH novelization), who the first Sith were

and how Jedi from Old Republic actually looked. Before 1999 the only Jedi known to us was Luke, and introduction of Nomi, Ulic, Master Arca was a great idea that let us see those legendary Jedi knights Obi-wan mentioned in epIV. Today when comic art is better developed than in 1993, when we saw those hundreds of Jedi knights in Prequels, when we played KOTOR - Tales of the Jedi looks lame, I agree. But still the series was groundbreaking and without all that background TOTJ brought, we would never have KOTOR. Just becouse there wouldn't be entire setting to use and Mike Gallo is a big TOTJ fan and he always wanted to make a game set in TOTJ era. So TOTJ inspired him to make an RPG. We can speculate that RPH would have been even without TOTJ but that's a speculation only; the reality is that TOTJ inspired first star wars RPG and accept it.

Considering various limits in comic creation I think that TOTJ did a great job in showing ancient galaxy - you still have lightsabers, blasters, starships but everything is archaic and gives a mood of ancient times. No like KOTOR that looks like 50 years before Phantom Menace. I understand that art from Dark Lords of the Sith or Sith War looks ugly when compared to the newest Republic/Clone Wars but c'mon - in 1990s it was standard, decent looking art. Art from comics like Mara Jade, Dark empire, Xwing Series, Droids, Crimson Empire that were published at the same time as Tales of the Jedi look similar - sometimes is better, sometimes worse. You seem to forget what were the art realities of the 1990s. Kevin Anderson didn't have 200 artists like GL has during prequels, to create his own detailed world. He had one artist who did a standard 1990s Dark Horse job.

TOTJ was as great adventure to me as Original Trilogy and offered similar plot with similar depth. Instead of parasiting on Lucas movies (liek Stackpole did in his xwing series ) it opened new setting that precedes movies times. It gave us a gaze into a golden age of the Republic Obi-Wan spoke off, when Jedi were numerous and Senate wasn't corrupted. Before KOTOR and prequels, it was really great to read about real Jedi knights mentioned in ANH, not an adept like Luke who is their successor.

HERMOCRATES:

Nur Ab Sal was one such king. He it was, say the wise men of Egypt, who first put men in the colossus, making many freaks

of nature at times when the celestial spheres were well aligned.

SOCRATES:

This I doubt. We are hearing a child's tale.

All heroic stories all about the same and use same stereotypes Radnor. You are unable to prove that TOTJ is worse than prequels or batman or  lord of the rings. Surely you are intelligent enough to notice that. TOTJ are decent stories from the mid 1990s - surely better than spiderman babble, and you seem to forget that this "trash" opened completely new era in SW and added really epic info like Great Hyperspace War, Jedi Holocaust, explanation about ANH Yavin temples (masassi were barely mentioned in ANH novelization), who the first Sith were

and how Jedi from Old Republic actually looked. Before 1999 the only Jedi known to us was Luke, and introduction of Nomi, Ulic, Master Arca was a great idea that let us see those legendary Jedi knights Obi-wan mentioned in epIV. Today when comic art is better developed than in 1993, when we saw those hundreds of Jedi knights in Prequels, when we played KOTOR - Tales of the Jedi looks lame, I agree. But still the series was groundbreaking and without all that background TOTJ brought, we would never have KOTOR. Just becouse there wouldn't be entire setting to use and Mike Gallo is a big TOTJ fan and he always wanted to make a game set in TOTJ era. So TOTJ inspired him to make an RPG. We can speculate that RPH would have been even without TOTJ but that's a speculation only; the reality is that TOTJ inspired first star wars RPG and accept it.

Considering various limits in comic creation I think that TOTJ did a great job in showing ancient galaxy - you still have lightsabers, blasters, starships but everything is archaic and gives a mood of ancient times. No like KOTOR that looks like 50 years before Phantom Menace. I understand that art from Dark Lords of the Sith or Sith War looks ugly when compared to the newest Republic/Clone Wars but c'mon - in 1990s it was standard, decent looking art. Art from comics like Mara Jade, Dark empire, Xwing Series, Droids, Crimson Empire that were published at the same time as Tales of the Jedi look similar - sometimes is better, sometimes worse. You seem to forget what were the art realities of the 1990s. Kevin Anderson didn't have 200 artists like GL has during prequels, to create his own detailed world. He had one artist who did a standard 1990s Dark Horse job.

TOTJ was as great adventure to me as Original Trilogy and offered similar plot with similar depth. Instead of parasiting on Lucas movies (liek Stackpole did in his xwing series ) it opened new setting that precedes movies times.  It gave us a gaze into a golden age of the Republic Obi-Wan spoke off, when Jedi were numerous and Senate wasn't corrupted. Before KOTOR and prequels, it was really great to read about real Jedi knights mentioned in ANH, not an adept like Luke who is their successor.

In short, they suck.

- When he is best, he is a little worse than a man, and when he is worst, he is little better than a beast.

[typical troll blurb]

Why must you always act like such rude jerk? If you can't discuss, just be silent please.

HERMOCRATES:

Nur Ab Sal was one such king. He it was, say the wise men of Egypt, who first put men in the colossus, making many freaks

of nature at times when the celestial spheres were well aligned.

SOCRATES:

This I doubt. We are hearing a child's tale.

Sorry Nur, that's just how things are. And I didn't really write anything in that last post. I just posted some quotes. It's not my fault if the majority thinks that TotJ sucks donkey balls. :thumbsup:)