Malak's 1960s Cameo

Here's a shot from cult cartoon of the 1960s - The Herculoids.

My dad used to watch Herculoids as a teenager!

You can see our lame villain's name on the title screen of one of the episodes.

Yes. Indeed Bioware made a really good and original job in KOTOR 1...

post-1577-1113754421_thumb.jpg

HERMOCRATES:

Nur Ab Sal was one such king. He it was, say the wise men of Egypt, who first put men in the colossus, making many freaks

of nature at times when the celestial spheres were well aligned.

SOCRATES:

This I doubt. We are hearing a child's tale.

Just another proof of Bioware's unoriginality.

HERMOCRATES:

Nur Ab Sal was one such king. He it was, say the wise men of Egypt, who first put men in the colossus, making many freaks

SOCRATES:

Just out of curiosity, why do you care? Most character names and such in games, TV shows, etc. have a root in something. This is especially true with Sith names in the SW universe. Anyone with a "Darth" preceeding their name usually has a second name that is significant in some way. Since nothing in that universe would actually be significant to us, it is usually significant in some way to something in our world.

A second question: why are you posting this here? This, if you haven't noticed, is the discussion for Kotor II, not KotOR. If you have a problem with BioWare's use of names, why don't you go complain about it on their forums? I doubt it will actually accomplish anything, but it will have a better chance than a post here.

As a side note, KotOR was a great game, and BioWare definately came through on that one. They have also made some other good games. It really doesn't bother me if they got the name from an obscure cartoon from the 60s (although I doubt that's where it came from). The game was good, and that's that.

Live forever or die trying.

jengaaaaux2.gif

General Discussion is a place for discussing anything concerning Star Wars - after last forum reforms that terminated Storyline Section. Spoilers Section are exclusively for KOTOR 2. So there's nothing wrong in posting here about things like this.

KOTOR was great in terms of climate only. Storyline was cheesy and only children like you are baffled by it. It's flaws were discussed over and over here, but as a newbie you missed it.

And, a little more respect for board veteran please.

HERMOCRATES:

SOCRATES:

General Discussion is a place for discussing anything concerning Star Wars - after last forum reforms that terminated Storyline Section. Spoilers Section are exclusively for KOTOR 2. So there's nothing wrong in posting here about things like this.

KOTOR was great in terms of climate only. Storyline was cheesy and only children like you are baffled by it. It's flaws were discussed over and over here, but as a newbie you missed it.

And, a little more respect for board veteran please.

Oh, sure, you've been on this board, so obviously that makes you so great, and gives you the right to call everyone who does not agree with you a child. Because it not like it is you that is acting like you are five years old, no sir.

Obviously, Obsidian are so unoriginal too. I mean, Kreia is a Real estate company! What a shocking lack of unoriginality! I mean, there's no way that could just be a coincidence. No, no, that's just impossible. And look! Atton is a hotel in Santiago! That's so obviously not a coincidence either! Mira is an Engineering firm! And look at Goto! What sort of name is that? Obviously, that's just them stealing the phrase "Go to" and making it into a name! How bloody unoriginal! Because clearly, any name ever if it is anything like any other name ever, it has obviously been stolen from its former usage, and it is completely and utterly impossible that it could just be a coincidence. The story is so pretentious that only some self-absorbed teenager who writes supposedly deep poems about how crappy his life is could ever be entertained by it. And obviously, anyone who disagrees with this assessment is a fool. Oh, and don't forget that we should respect anyone who happens to have sat at a computer posting to a forum for longer than someone else, because that makes them the fount of all knowledge and their word must be unquestionable law.

Hawk! Eggplant! AWAKEN!

Well, Nur. In case you haven't noticed, SW itself is at least as cheesy as KotOR. That's why KotOR is a good SW game. :blink:

- When he is best, he is a little worse than a man, and when he is worst, he is little better than a beast.

Oh, sure, you've been on this board, so obviously that makes you so great, and gives you the right to call everyone who does not agree with you a child.  Because it not like it is you that is acting like you are five years old, no sir.

Obviously, Obsidian are so unoriginal too.  I mean, Kreia is a Real estate company!  What a shocking lack of unoriginality!  I mean, there's no way that could just be a coincidence.  No, no, that's just impossible.  And look!  Atton is a hotel in Santiago!  That's so obviously not a coincidence either!  Mira is an Engineering firm!  And look at Goto!  What sort of name is that?  Obviously, that's just them stealing the phrase "Go to" and making it into a name!  How bloody unoriginal!  Because clearly, any name ever if it is anything like any other name ever, it has obviously been stolen from its former usage, and it is completely and utterly impossible that it could just be a coincidence. The story is so pretentious that only some self-absorbed teenager who writes supposedly deep poems about how crappy his life is could ever be entertained by it.  And obviously, anyone who disagrees with this assessment is a fool.  Oh, and don't forget that we should respect anyone who happens to have sat at a computer posting to a forum for longer than someone else, because that makes them the fount of all knowledge and their word must be unquestionable law.

Of course we should. The problem is that this guy attacked me first so he got an answer.

HERMOCRATES:

SOCRATES:

In all SW-universe, almost all names are derived from different words, meanings and languages.

Vader <= Father

Darth <= Dark

Sith <= Setekh (an ancient Egyptian god of deserts, a brother and a rival of Osiris. He embodies a dark ego, dark side of human nature.

Yoda <- "yoda" in punjabian, "great warrior"

Coruscant <- coruscate

And so forth...

And Bioware + Obsidian just follow tradtion.

Any number of people that had no contact with each other can come up with a name like Malak because it has a badass ring to it and incidently, it fits the simple minded way sith appelations are thought up, the weakness is in the SW paradigm, it can only be transferred to Kotor.