Drivers

Hello guyz :D

I got Radeon 7500 SERIES.

And when I try to play KotOR 2 there is an error.

I need " Non-Windows Generic OpenGL 1.4.0 drivers"

Where from can I it take?

I ask about link.

( My English is average ( I am from Poland) ) :-"

I tried, but KotOR 2 it requires "Non-Windows". When i install Catalyst 5.4 error steps out still. What do I have to make?

EDIT :

I install Catalyst 5.4 for Win XP. I install DirectX 9.0c and.... still error. WHAT DO I HAVE TO MAKE??!!??

Sorry dude, but it looks like KOTOR II doesn't support your graphics card. All the errors point to it not being able to support OpenGL 1.4, a requirement of the game. In addition, the Radeon 7500 is not listed as a supported chipset either on the back of the box (UK version is my reference) or on the Lucasarts website. I could be wrong, and I hope so.

Edit: *Reminds self to read all of the post*

Looks like your OpenGL driver needs updating. You're running WinXP without any service packs which is not something I'd advise. I'd definitely update windows and see if it fixes your problem, If not then we'll try ad locate an alternative OGL driver.

When I had WinXP installed on my computer, the service packs were installed and I didn't have any problems with GL drivers.

You may have to install the service packs or look for the mircosoft GL driver update.

(I went back to WinMe on my computer because my might and magic games don't work in WinXP.

My operating software is different now but I had WinXP installed for 6 or more months.)

The KOTOR box says it requires a ATI 8500 or higher card.

I think your video card might be too old, you can probably get a cheap 9000 series card that will work in your computer or if you really want to play KOTORII I recommend getting an Nvidia card because of the problems with ATI cards.

Looks like your OpenGL driver needs updating. You're running WinXP without any service packs which is not something I'd advise. I'd definitely update windows and see if it fixes your problem, If not then we'll try ad locate an alternative OGL driver.

So I have to install this Service Pack 2 having 266 Mb??

I please about answer.

If you don't have Service Pack 2 install it now. Ati recommends using it with their drivers and Microsoft does not support anymore Windows XP without Service Pack (1 at least, but they prefer you have SP2). And anyway, there is quite a lot of security improvements with this service pack, which is for the best.

Yes, you'll need some hard drive space on the partition where Windows is installed, and yes, its does the things properly when installing, with a lot of backup in case you would uninstall it and so on. I think the Windows Update function should give it to you automatically now. It's quite usefull.

Will it KotOR 2 be active on Galaxy GeforceFX 5500 128MB DDR (128bit) ?

If you are strapped for cash... Get at least a 5700.

If KOTOR (I & II) are the only games you play... Then this should be sufficient given your other system specs.

OPTION #2:

Seach the web (pricewatch.com) for a 5900 or 5900XT. This should be more than enough to run the KOTOR games and even some of the newer games as well if you can't or don't want to upgrade to a generation-now (6200-6800) Nvidia card.

My tax return is coming in soon and I am going to finally upgrade to a 6800 GT from my ATI 9800 Pro 256 MB :D

I've had it with ATI and want a card where I don't have to worry about what rendering path (OpenGL or D3D) is used and can just play games.

Seach the web (pricewatch.com) for a 5900 or 5900XT. This should be more than enough to run the KOTOR games and even some of the newer games as well if you can't or don't want to upgrade to a generation-now (6200-6800) Nvidia card.

Why recommend Nvidia's crappy FX series? If I wanted to go for an FX 5900 or 5900 XT, might as well go for the 6600. They are about the same price.

Why recommend Nvidia's crappy FX series? If I wanted to go for an FX 5900 or 5900 XT, might as well go for the 6600. They are about the same price.

Agreed. I got a 5950 FX Ultra, and I now curse the day I got this PC. As soon as the 6800 falls in price a bit more, I'm gonna swipe it up. The FX series has serious performance trouble with DirectX c, and recently I've heard, causes reboot problems with the newly used Pixel Shader 2.0 (Act of War, which has recently come out and uses it, has problems on the FX)

The only reason why I recommened the FX series is because of budget and the fact that even a 66000 is going to be overkill given this guys current specs. He's going to be bottlenecking a 6600 more (with his CPU) than he would a 5900.

Honestly...

If I were you, TRON, I'd save up and just upgrade your entire rig because you're already running into problems that you probably don't even know about.

Example:

--You only have 256 MB of RAM.

Windows XP... To run properly... Needs at least 512 MBs. 128 MBs (give or take) is what XP uses just sitting idle in your system while you work or play games.

--Onboard Sound

This is going to slow down any games even further because the sound is going to be processed through your CPU instead of a dedicated sound chip like a Soundblaster (or any sound card) has.

My point is that I don't know if TRON is a hardcore gamer, casual gamer, or just getting into games, but his specs are ancient in terms of gaming hardware and is almost like an XBox -- And I mean no disrespect when I say this. Technically, it is true given his current specs.

This is why I said a 5900 series first taking into consideration his current specs and that he might NOT be able to upgrade anything else.