Radeon Performance Issues Patched?

Does the current patch (alright, THE patch) actually resolve the Radeon compatability issues?

Has anyone found a NEW best driver set-up for the patch if so?

If not, will this be sorted in a future patch?

I still suffer massive FPS hits. Shouldn't be happening.

Has any improvement been found in simply starting a new game? I doubt this, as I still get lag on the Sith Lord on main menu.

well, since THE patch doesn't fix any bugs i have encountered, i haven't installed it and since i have finished it enough times (2 LS & 2 DS) i haven't played it since.

The Random loot thing killed the game for me...well besides the crap endings.

If the loot was like Kotor I, then i would still be playing it....but Obsidian screwed that up.

To answer the original poster...

No. The FPS problems are still there for the most part.

It's not just the engine it is also ATI -- Regardless of what fanboys (pro or con) say.

You've got two factors (Odyssey Engine and ATI drivers) that will never come to an "agreement" to actually fix the problem, so don't hold your breath.

For the record, the game runs pretty smooth on my rig since the patch... BUT it still has a lot gameplay bugs as well as some of the maps STILL (imo) need to be recoded/optimized like Peragus Fuel Depot and Dantooine because this is part of the equation as well.

it's the crappy porting job that causes the performance issues

Not necessarily.

The game runs like this (poorly) on the XBox as well. I know. I have it.

But that is because the XBox has 1999-era PC components, so that is how it should perform. Also, the XBox doesn't have to render anything more than 30 FPS for an NTCS or PAL TV screen, so that is another differing factor -- Yet, it drops below that and appears to stutter just like on the PC.

However, the real cause of these slow downs is the map(s) and or the engine are just not rendering things efficiently. Period.

It doesn't matter if this game looks like a game from 2001, or if it is OGL or D3D. I believe the engine uses too many resources to do what it does (graphically) and I also am under the suspicion that it renders EVERYTHING on a map and doesn't cull objects you don't see, therefore, putting more stress and strain on graphics cards and CPUs that better-coded engines would not.

Also, I think some of the effects... Like the Peragus Mining Tunnel smoke and other effects... Are actually CPU rendered which will bring anything... Even my AMD 64 CPU... To its knees because it just is not efficient in this day and age of onboard GPUs and VRAM.

Does the current patch (alright, THE patch) actually resolve the Radeon compatability issues?

Has anyone found a NEW best driver set-up for the patch if so?

If not, will this be sorted in a future patch?

I still suffer massive FPS hits. Shouldn't be happening.

Has any improvement been found in simply starting a new game? I doubt this, as I still get lag on the Sith Lord on main menu.

The patch did nothing to optimise frame rate issues at all. I believe they were more interested in fixing gameplay bugs.

All ATI users except the trolls in this forum know Dantooine is a problem with the newer Catalyst drivers, ie 4.12 onwards. ATI claimed to have fixed the problem with their latest drivers 5.4. While this may be largely true, the lag returns with a vengeance if you quicksave at certain framerate sensitive areas such as the first exit from Khoonda, just after crossing the bridge across the stream. At least that's where I noticed the lag returning. I couldn't be bothered to test elsewhere as I've already played the game several times, LS DS male and female.

You can bypass these problems if you enable Disable Vertex Shader Objects(DVSO) in your swkotor2.ini.

PS: Also if you choose not to enable DVSO, Malachor V(poison gas area) will have half its usual frame rate. Probably will affect other areas in the game too.