Does anybody like Dungeon Siege

I've been playing Dungeon Siege for a little while now and it started off alright, but now I'm up to about chapter 3 I'm getting continually bored with it.

The action is nice and the graphics are great, but I'm not finding the story very intriging so far and the gameplay is getting rather repetitive.

I was wondering if the game gets any better further in? Since the story seems quite typical so far. :)

Also I was wondering if anyone knows of any good strategies because I keep getting killed and have to load game a few times before I can move on. :)

The action is nice and the graphics are great, but I'm not finding the story very intriging so far and the gameplay is getting rather repetitive.

Nope, it's basically a prettied up Diablo clone, best taken in small doses. I hear multiplayer can be fun, but I wouldn't know as like most multiplayer games, it's dreadful on dialup. I finished it, then traded it in. Some of the stuff I've read about DS2 has me excited, namely they've been listening to fan feedback, and have decided that contrary to what they though, we do want micromanagement. They also talked about this neato pet system, and said they've hired pro-writers so there should be an actually good story this time around.

What I'm saying isn't a knock to it, it did what they wanted it to, which was a fast paced game, with a pretty engine, they kept the player in the action. I expect the second one will do what they want as well, but I'll still read a couple of reviews as I do with all games now (I don't purchase much of anything on a whim these days), and see how it turned out.

It's basically pretty graphics where your interaction is limited to drinking red and blue potions as needed.

I finished it but had no desire to buy the expansion, since the demo was more of the same.

The sequel might be ok, since they are introducing branching dialog, NPCs with actual personalities and an updated skill system...but I'll certainly be waiting for some reviews/a demo.

Dungeon Siege is one of the most boring games that I've played... ever. It's Chris Taylor's project who made quite good Total Annihilation (one of the better RTS games) and that time I thought he was the same person who was designer in classic Fallout. Bah... too many Chris Taylor in game biz. Dungeon Siege was a good lesson since now I always wait few reviews, read message boards and check developers previous works before I buy the game.

Let's play Alpha Protocol

My misadventures on youtube.

DS is a hacknslash - but since I liked Diablo1 & 2, I liked DungeonSiege ok. But I never did finish the SP game - the MP environment/map was a lot more fun so I always played in there instead. The player-mods helped a lot, too, for me - but overall yup, it's best in small doses and replay (or obsession) value is low.

The sequel does look more promising. Time will tell.

“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

The sequel will probably be arse, I mean with a lead designer who's ideas of a good RPG is one that "..has lots of cool spells and fat loot!" it'd take a miracle.

DISCLAIMER: Do not take what I write seriously unless it is clearly and in no uncertain terms, declared by me to be meant in a serious and non-humoristic manner. If there is no clear indication, asume the post is written in jest. This notification is meant very seriously and its purpouse is to avoid misunderstandings and the consequences thereof. Furthermore; I can not be held accountable for anything I write on these forums since the idea of taking serious responsability for my unserious actions, is an oxymoron in itself.

Important: as the following sentence contains many naughty words I warn you not to read it under any circumstances; botty, knickers, wee, erogenous zone, psychiatrist, clitoris, stockings, bosom, poetry reading, dentist, fellatio and the department of agriculture.

"I suppose outright stupidity and complete lack of taste could also be considered points of view. "

Wow, now I can see why it was on sale. :thumbsup: Heh, it got a really good review on gamespy:

http://pc.gamespy.com/pc/dungeon-siege/545....html?fromint=1

So after checking the review I thought, yeah might as well get it while it's on sale. It had one of those deal things where you get the original and expansion together for a bargin price. I still have fun when I play it though, I just don't have any motivation to keep playing; like with those games that have cool characters and really intriguing stories. Since I didn't have pay full price I'm not complaining too much though. :cool:

And then there is the cute little packmule! (w00t) Who progressively gets more little packs on its back when it carries more stuff, which amused me for a short while. True it's not as cool as Boo. :(

Anyway, thankyou all for your comments. Now I know not to keep waiting for the story to pick up, I have been spared the kind of dissapointment I felt at the end KOTOR2. :p

Wow, now I can see why it was on sale.  :ermm: Heh, it got a really good review on gamespy:

http://pc.gamespy.com/pc/dungeon-siege/545....html?fromint=1

So after checking the review I thought, yeah might as well get it while it's on sale. It had one of those deal things where you get the original and expansion together for a bargin price. I still have fun when I play it though, I just don't have any motivation to keep playing; like with those games that have cool characters and really intriguing stories. Since I didn't have pay full price I'm not complaining too much though. :cool:

And then there is the cute little packmule!  (w00t) Who progressively gets more little packs on its back when it carries more stuff, which amused me for a short while. True it's not as cool as Boo. ;)

Anyway, thankyou all for your comments. Now I know not to keep waiting for the story to pick up, I have been spared the kind of dissapointment I felt at the end KOTOR2.  :)

Rule No. 1: Never trust a review from Gamespy or IGN.

Rule No. 2: You never trust a review from Gamespy or IGN.

I mean, seriously. :blink:

I think they really need to stop calling things like Diablo/DungeonSiege etc. 'RPG's' - people call them hacknslash, just create a new genre with that name.

That way people won't think they're buying a story RPG and get irritated/feel gyped. :D

“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

I don't know how I managed to finish Dungeon Siege. Hacking away hour after hour praying for a departure from the monotony. Most people I talked to never made it past the swamps and for good reason.

I don't know how I managed to finish Dungeon Siege.  Hacking away hour after hour praying for a departure from the monotony.  Most people I talked to never made it past the swamps and for good reason.

GAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHH!!! I hate the swamps...

But anyway, DS isn't that bad, as long as you're not expecting much more than pretty scenery, monsters to hack, and "ph47 13w7".

I had fun playing it as long as I didn't feel like engaging my brain. But I do still love Flare :D .

LOL.....I liked the swamps - it was that damn goblin dungeon you find there that I couldn't stand.

I hated that the focus was solely on magic and swords etc. and then all of a sudden it's goblins and bots with electric ray guns. Plus I just disliked the dungeon design. I got through it once to the next outdoorsy area and never got further.

But yeah...the mules were cute. :D

I always get lost in the swaps. Every time. It amazing how no matter how many time I tell myself that I know the way out I manage to get lost.

I hate the damn swamps. :rolleyes:

It's the over 300 *stupid* and *annoying* monsters that get me. I hate the swamp witches, the swamp trolls, and all the other stupid swamp things that have just enough health to make beating all 70+ groups of them (that you *will* encounter because they can freaking home in on you!!) take over five blanking minutes EACH!!!! :angry:

I actually liked the Goblin Dungeon though...but that's prob'ly just because I have a robot obsession... :">